• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

bumpkin

So is anyone else actually kind of enjoying playing a game that is wicked atmospheric and instills a sense of dread and uncertainty in that you can actually die (no health regen) and that there is practically no hand-holding? Ah, the good ol' days!

I'm currently playing through the game for the first time (I beat the original PSOne game but never REmake).
I admittedly got a little tripped up about where to use the dog whistle to get the fake key. I was trying it everywhere until I realized my dumb ass never tried to open the farthest door of the dining room balcony. After finally getting the armor key, I "saved" Richard by getting him the serum. It's actually the first time I've *ever* saved him in all of my playthroughs.I tended to be super, super cautious when I played the game which meant I back-tracked a lot to the inventory chest and in turn burned a ton of time. Now my next plan is to bust a move back to the area where I got the serum to track down the broken shotgun and then go get the real one (or so I hope).

Chabbles

Finally finished a Chris playthrough on PS3. 5:58 on Mountain climbing. I know Jill has 2 less inventory slots and the lockpick, but i found the Chris playthrough a bit easier. But i played the Jill campaign last summer so the mansion might just be more familiar to me.

Now a Jill playthrough on the PS4 is in order.

Does anyone know how to get to
Courtyard B2? Basically after escaping from Lisa in the mines and then later defeating her with Barry, I forgot where the ladder leads up to that is in her room down in the mines.

It leads back to her house.

Totally forgot that ha! Thanks. Time to go and collect some ammo. Completed the game yesterday with Jill but reloaded my save to 100% every room now, will be going for a speed run after this playthrough.

Speaking of 100%, this is probably the first time I've used the map green/red color scheme so much. Across all versions (original, director's cut and remake), I must have beaten the game 20 times and I can't honestly remember ever caring about having a green or red room. Hell, the only times I used the map was when I was stuck, I used it to track openable doors.

Nemesis_

Speaking of 100%, this is probably the first time I've used the map green/red color scheme so much. Across all versions (original, director's cut and remake), I must have beaten the game 20 times and I can't honestly remember ever caring about having a green or red room. Hell, the only times I used the map was when I was stuck, I used it to track openable doors.

I swear that was a new addition for HD Remaster but who knows, maybe I'm just imagining things because I too never really noticed it either with my original playthroughs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMXrJqD1ro#t=35

Original voice acting in REmake mod in the works :D

ylav55Z.gif

psychotron

Are you me? The only difference is that I've been killing enemies where ever I encounter them and burning zombies whenever possible. I've only had two zombie's return as crimson heads so far.
I just had the 4 zombies that busted through the east wing of the first floor. The same stretch of corridor where you get the real shotgun
. Fucking dog ripped my throat when I went back outside a second time for more kerosene to burn those bastards. I shudder at the thought of
4 crimson heads in the same room

Mountain Climbing=Normal
Hike=Easy
Casual Stroll=Very easy

TFW when I chose easy thinking it was normal and am still having hard time ;_;

lol, I'm right in the same area. High five!

Danielsan

So is anyone else actually kind of enjoying playing a game that is wicked atmospheric and instills a sense of dread and uncertainty in that you can actually die (no health regen) and that there is practically no hand-holding? Ah, the good ol' days!

I'm currently playing through the game for the first time (I beat the original PSOne game but never REmake).
I admittedly got a little tripped up about where to use the dog whistle to get the fake key. I was trying it everywhere until I realized my dumb ass never tried to open the farthest door of the dining room balcony. After finally getting the armor key, I "saved" Richard by getting him the serum. It's actually the first time I've *ever* saved him in all of my playthroughs.I tended to be super, super cautious when I played the game which meant I back-tracked a lot to the inventory chest and in turn burned a ton of time. Now my next plan is to bust a move back to the area where I got the serum to track down the broken shotgun and then go get the real one (or so I hope).
Granted, I've played REmake back when it first came out and love the older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games. But hell yes. Most modern AAA games have nothing on this game. I love the lack of hand holding, the attention to details, all the minor little systems that are created to either screw you over, or help you and great replay-ability.

These part 10 years game developers have been too busy smoothing out every rough edge in games, and streamlining games to the point that pretty much anyone can complete them without expending as much as half a thought. In doing so game developers have also lost much of what made many games so damn compelling back in the day. Thankfully a few game developers have fought against the current trend, bringing us interesting experiences such as the Souls games and Siren Blood Curse.

I sincerely hope that more game developers start realizing that completely streamlining and focus testing every single game, does not lead to the best or most interesting games.

Now give me a new real Resident Evil game Capcom. I know you can still do it. Just dust off some of Mikami's old design documents to relearn what seemingly has been lost.

Emedan

On replays maybe, everyone playing it for the first time were and are just going to save basically every time they can. Really there's enough ribbons to save about every time you accomplish anything.

Frankly I don't remember if that was the case in the original one, but I always felt pressure of running out of ink ribbons, granted my brother was the better of us.

Skullface

lol, I'm right in the same area. High five!

Rock on bruh! I'll be trying to progress some more tonight. Probably no work or school tomorrow because New England. Could be up to three feet of snow between this afternoon and Wednesday night. Perfect atmosfear.

I swear that was a new addition for HD Remaster but who knows, maybe I'm just imagining things because I too never really noticed it either with my original playthroughs.

Same here, I'll check a lets play later.
Haha, I'm not crazy. I'm fairly certain this wasn't in the original or DC. It might be a GameCube feature I never used. Still, I was pretty surprised to find it there when I started playing the game, knowing there was a 100% trophy.

yes but recall that resident evil was the best of the best at this particular formula

nobody misses games like martian gothic or extermination

Nemesis_

yes but recall that resident evil was the best of the best at this particular formula

nobody misses games like martian gothic or extermination

I like all those games, I love the fact that so many bad games derived from that formula came from it. Well, not entirely bad, but interesting takes. The Ring: Terror's Realm (which was bad, I'll admit), Isis, Overblood, Blue Stinger, Chase The Express (aka Covert Ops Nuclear Dawn) and even In Cold Blood.

Fucking GALERIANS

ugh

games were so good

im drunk and sad

edit extermination wasnt really like RE tho

Sanke__

So this game is way better than i expected.

Significantly easier than i expected so far.
Really wish i would have played on normal instead of easy.
Its pretty dumb that normal is the hardest choice of 3 at the beginning.

So you're saying that none of you at one point had to ascertain if you solved a puzzle or found a critical item in an area by it's status on the map screen?

Feeling pretty dumb right now.

Nemesis_

So you're saying that none of you at one point had to ascertain if you solved a puzzle or found a critical item in an area by it's status on the map screen?

Feeling pretty dumb right now.

i was borught up on it, so yeah, feel dumb :p

the gaem really does everytihng for you just by examining stuff. it's just not in your face all the time

K' Dash

So this game is way better than i expected.

Significantly easier than i expected so far.
Really wish i would have played on normal instead of easy.
Its pretty dumb that normal is the hardest choice of 3 at the beginning.

it is a very big leap from easy to normal, way less ammo and save ribbons, more hunters too.

gunbo13

Got absorbed yesterday. Got up to area 2.

Bad:
Widescreen - awful
New controls - trying them out but also bad. 3-4 zombie grabs due to bad control camera transitioning.

Good:
Graphics are great, looks HD, no obvious SD textures
It's Resident Evil

Playing on hard. Has me screaming "I have no fucking ammo to do this" about once every half hour. I let what's his name
die
cause 0 bullets. Was a great experience to get the awful taste of WNO out.

Got absorbed yesterday. Got up to area 2.

Bad:
Widescreen - awful
New controls - trying them out but also bad. 3-4 zombie grabs due to bad control camera transitioning.

Good:
Graphics are great, looks HD, no obvious SD textures
It's Resident Evil

Playing on hard. Has me screaming "I have no fucking ammo to do this" about once every half hour. I let what's his name
die
cause 0 bullets. Was a great experience to get the awful taste of WNO out.

Richard? He dies no matter what,either you don't get him the anti venom in time or he gets eaten by Yawn

Or did you mean
Barry, you kept his magnum.

Finally finished my first playthrough, it's still every bit as good as I remembered it.
People with aracnofobia should really stay away from this lol, dem spiders are even creepier in HD.

MetalSlug

Is there really THAT much of a difference? I mean, I'm sure there is - but nothing worth really paying too much attention to, right?

By the end of Normal, I had tons of ammo and health and rarely died (as Chris)
On Hard, I die constantly at the start (as Jill) :(

I've not tried Easy or Very Easy.

-MD-

Whatever was the hardest to start. Top one.

Yeah that's normal.

I really hate how they added that very easy difficulty in there to throw new players off thinking it was the standard easy > normal > hard when it's really very easy > easy > normal.

gunbo13

Yeah that's normal.

I really hate how they added that very easy difficulty in there to throw new players off thinking it was the standard easy > normal > hard when it's really very easy > easy > normal.
Difficulty levels are always stupidly assigned. Or unnecessarily locked.

People want that horrible cheesy voice acting in REmake?

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I honestly prefer the original's voicing to REmake.

In the PS1 version it's campy, terrible, and hilarious. It's entertaining.

The stuff in REmake is just simply bad dialogue with wooden delivery. There's nothing good about it.

psychotron

Rock on bruh! I'll be trying to progress some more tonight. Probably no work or school tomorrow because New England. Could be up to three feet of snow between this afternoon and Wednesday night. Perfect atmosfear.

I'm in NY so we're getting buried too. Can't wait to get some game time in between using the snow blower, lol.

I honestly prefer the original's voicing to REmake.

In the PS1 version it's campy, terrible, and hilarious. It's entertaining.

The stuff in REmake is just simply bad dialogue with wooden delivery. There's nothing good about it.

Yea I noticed that too, the PS1 version still makes me chuckle..

Top Bottom