• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

I have never played the original RE, or any of the PSone games. My first RE game was 4. After that I bought every single game that came out... I could never understand die-hard fans fascination with the original game and it's sequel until now. I'm loving the living hell out of this game after buying it yesterday. I especially like how the puzzles aren't hand holding sessions. Man... if only The Evil Within was like this the whole way through....

We need more games like this. I don't even mind the camera angles. I'm actually legit scared of the crimson heads...

Xpliskin

37cd1bb2cc77d4e498e69e2049d856ed.jpg
17bd7132f47a57fc15b5dafa7c1888a4.jpg

*backflips out the window*

Sullichin

This game is really doing it for me in a nostalgic way. I beat it at least twice on GameCube when it came out, and I can't believe how terrible I am at this game now. I forgot pretty much everything I'm supposed to do and I'm not good at dodging zombies at all.

I really like the updated controls. I don't think they detract from the game at all - it's the fixed camera angles that cause the tension, not just the controls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They need to bring the Subtitles for the Deadly Silence version over if they're going whole-hog on the original voiceacting.

Grief.exe

I was expecting to put all three MO Discs into the GameCube to unlock the door, must be something I am missing.

EDIT: Reading the security protocols file, seems there are multiple GameCubes hidden throughout the area.

Dai101

Banned
I was expecting to put all three MO Discs into the GameCube to unlock the door, must be something I am missing.

EDIT: Reading the security protocols file, seems there are multiple GameCubes hidden throughout the area.

Yep. They're 3 of them, you need to put one MO disc in each GameCube.
They're scattered around in the lab, not really hard to find'em tho'

-MD-

Steam friend is trying to convince me that this game is linear.

This is the game I'd use to describe the opposite of linear.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Steam friend is trying to convince me that this game is linear.

This is the game I'd use to describe the opposite of linear.

It's pretty linear. You have roadblocks that stop ALL progress until they're resolved.

-MD-

It's pretty linear. You have roadblocks that stop ALL progress until they're resolved.

There's obviously certain things you have to do to progress but a lot of the stuff in the game can be tackled different ways at different times, you can do this instead of this or avoid that entirely to trigger something else etc.

Like he compared it to CoD and Gears, it's nowhere near that imo.

Curufinwe

There's obviously certain things you have to do to progress but a lot of the stuff in the game can be tackled different ways at different times, you can do this instead of this or avoid that entirely to trigger something else etc.

Like he compared it to CoD and Gears, it's nowhere near that imo.

Your friend is dumb, or trying to troll you.

Airgetlam

Yeah that's normal.

I really hate how they added that very easy difficulty in there to throw new players off thinking it was the standard easy > normal > hard when it's really very easy > easy > normal.
Yeah. I didn't know that either. I only found out when my friends asked me why I was playing Resident Evil on easy. I kept saying it was on normal and that I chose the middle option. They didn't believe me. :(

Curufinwe

I thought something was up when I started accumulating tons of first aid sprays but I didn't actually realize till I beat the game as Jill and only got two of the difficulty trophies.

TheSeks

Does it work under RE6 logic, of spinning stick + mashing D-pad frees you twice as fast?

No. It just prevents two more bites/more damage than one. IIRC Bio2-3 allow you to prevent total damage if you mash fast enough but it's been a while so they probably fall under the "do less damage" rule.

(Also what is up with your avatar? Rainbows now?)

televator

I just burned one zombie and we came back a crimson in about 5 seconds, what the hell?!?!

Sounds more like you missed a downed corpse. Not one that you shot down, but one that the game put there. I know there's at least like 3 of them. One in the kitchen (?), one on the first floor of the west wing stair case, and the one leading into the trap room of the west wing second floor. Zombies don't turn right in front of you right after you put them down, and their corpses disappear once burned.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
RE6 involved using both analog sticks to move, but since the second analog stick doesn't do anything here except a 180 turn I don't think it works that way.

I know the other analog stick doesn't, but I figured since you can use both the d-pad and left stick for movement, maybe mashing both in conjunction would mean 2x as fast breaking out.

No. It just prevents two more bites/more damage than one. IIRC Bio2-3 allow you to prevent total damage if you mash fast enough but it's been a while so they probably fall under the "do less damage" rule.

(Also what is up with your avatar? Rainbows now?)

(Avatar design based on my new Twitter avatar, which is based on the Persona 4 artstyle)

Jingo

Sounds more like you missed a downed corpse. Not one that you shot down, but one that the game put there. I know there's at least like 3 of them. One in the kitchen (?), one on the first floor of the west wing stair case, and the one leading into the trap room of the west wing second floor. Zombies don't turn right in front of you right after you put them down, and their corpses disappear once burned.

Thanks for the help, but i had just shot him down and burn him, the zombie came back to life in about 5 seconds, maybe a bug?

Arkanius

Guys I just can't get into Resident Evil 1 and REmake for some reason

The only old school RE that I managed to beat from straight to end was Code Veronica.

There is something about REmake that just destroys me, the fact that the corridors are all cramped, Crimson Heads, that I can't do shit with the knife (I absolutely used my Knife a lot in Code Veronica), I don't know

People help me, what I'm doing wrong in engagements, how am I supposed to evade shit and use the knife to save ammo.

Dai101

Banned

The only old school RE that I managed to beat from straight to end was Code Veronica.

There is something about REmake that just destroys me, the fact that the corridors are all cramped, Crimson Heads, that I can't do shit with the knife (I absolutely used my Knife a lot in Code Veronica), I don't know

People help me, what I'm doing wrong in engagements, how am I supposed to evade shit and use the knife to save ammo.

Watch some of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-AB1VI3lb0

That's a nice and not too hard technique to pass on zombies.

Lol if you can trudge through Code Veronica this should be no problem. Kill and burn the zombies in frequently-used corridors, if they're in a dead end room leave them alone unless you absolutely have to.

Also, the hardest difficulty that you can start on gives you plentiful ammo eventually, just not early on.

Throw the knife in the box. Unless you're really skilled, have practiced a lot and go for a knife challenge it's useless. Don't let it's overpowered state in CV trick you.

If you're playing on Normal or below you can kill most enemies without worrying too much. I'd only start the killing though until you have the means to dispose of their bodies (And do so if they're in often travelled corridors.) and scrounged up a decent ammount of ammo. Usually the first zombies I actually kill are the three zombies in the stair case room were you enter the eastern save room. (The one were you also find the canteen.)

Get zombies close enough to lunge for you, then run past.

After certain events zombies burst through the windows in some rooms if you walk through them again or if you enter a corridor from a certain direction. If these events screw up your game too much it's good to think about in which order you tackle things in the mansion, a lot of these events can be completly bypassed that way.

Remember your defense items, sometimes it's also a good idea to just run into the zombie blocking your way, instead of stocking up on daggers. Try to find good situations to deliberatly use them to save ammunition.

Rean

After watching other people play RE I'm getting kind of annoyed at how many cutscenes I've been missing. I haven't run into
Barry
since the games started and I'm almost done the
residence
. :(

After watching other people play RE I'm getting kind of annoyed at how many cutscenes I've been missing. I haven't run into
Barry
since the games started and I'm almost done the
residence
. :(

You didn't even
overhear his conversation with a certain someone
in the residence? I thought that event was always bound to happen.

TheSeks

There's your problem. Dump the knife in the box unless you're doing a "knife only" run and don't look back. Code Veronica is the only old-school formula Biohazard that has a buffed up (REALLY BUFFED UP) knife. You have to get into the "weak as shit" mindset for the other games knives.

Arkanius

There's your problem. Dump the knife in the box unless you're doing a "knife only" run and don't look back. Code Veronica is the only old-school formula Biohazard that has a buffed up (REALLY BUFFED UP) knife. You have to get into the "weak as shit" mindset for the other games knives.

welp guess thats my problem

MetalSlug

That knife in Code Veronica is god-like. In REmake it feels so weak.

Top Bottom