• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just killed the Yawn with the knife with Chris, what can I say....I had no ammo.

How much healing did you do tho? :p Call me when you do the Residence and the Lab.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How much healing did you do tho? :p Call me when you do the Residence and the Lab.

Just a herb 🌿 + poison healing.
Dogs, Crimson Heads and Hunters are a problem with the knife, especially the latter as they can rip your head off regardless of heath.
Although I've never done a knife run in Remake so I'm practicing using it.
The Residence should be ok, Spiders are easy to run past and get around, those things in the Lab....not so much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tank. Tested the new ones for a bit and saw how easy it was to avoid zombies and didn't like it. Felt like I was sliding around on the floor.

I don't have any problems with the default controls anyway, it fits the game well.

Tank controls. I grew up with these games and anything else just feels weird. Also, using the new controls makes the experience much less intense and scary.

Danielsan

So what are most people using? The tank controls or the new ones?
Decided to go with new controls. I have no issue with tank controls and I do think the new controls are close to cheating the game, but I do enjoy the added responsiveness, so I stuck with them.

How do new controls work when the camera view changes? Is it like Devil May Cry where you keep heading in the same direction as long as you hold the stick in position?

Danielsan

How do new controls work when the camera view changes? Is it like Devil May Cry where you keep heading in the same direction as long as you hold the stick in position?
Yes. As long as you keep the stick held in, you're good. The new controls can often cause trouble with camera shifts though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This game is weird. It ruuns at less than one frame a second if I set it to 30 FPS, 60 FPS results in a smooth slowmotion game and variable works great but cutscene audio is way out of sync.

When I say less than a frame a second I mean it as the screen would go completely black every other second :lol. Quite odd! Granted I'm trying to play it on a GPU with 512mB of VRAM. But it makes zero sense that it hits at 40+ with variable yet can't even render properly with the 30 FPS cap.

Astral

Does this game really reward you for having little saves outside of the Ink is for Squids trophy or is time all that really matters?

tesqui

beat my first play through since the wii version! Clear time was 5:30, so I loaded up a save from like an hour earlier and speed runned that shit, and wound up with 4:55. Got the
Samurai Edge
! Gonna try to attempt a 2 hr run. Seems like it'd be pretty difficult.
Also I'm using tank controls. The new controls don't feel right to me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Plant 42
tho. I guess unless you're using Jill or
Rebecca to make V-JOLT?

Yeah there is that, not much of a fight though

I'm using tank d-pad, those DMC controls nearly got me killed.

Grief.exe

Just finished the game, what a great experience. I really just want to jump back in as Chris.

Looks like I have to beat the game on normal to unlock Real Survivor, then beat on Real Survivor to unlock Invisible Enemy. Looks like there are a few different endings based on the achievements.

the mines is the worst part of the game

crappy crank stuff, braindead easy but obnoxious to finish statue rotation puzzle, dumb boss

zzzz

I had to keep going back to the item box to grab various key items.

Damn, I just finished the game on Normal with Jill, making sure every room was green and yet I didn't get Every Nook and Cranny.

I'll have to check tomorrow where I messed up. I almost missed the shells in the holding cell but I did pick them up.

Curufinwe

Damn, I just finished the game on Normal with Jill, making sure every room was green and yet I didn't get Every Nook and Cranny.

I'll have to check tomorrow where I messed up. I almost missed the shells in the holding cell but I did pick them up.

You have to use the closet key.

I'm thinking of buying this game. Looking at the OP, it appears that widescreen mode actually cuts off the top and bottom of the screen? Is this common for remasters of 4:3 era games?

You have to use the closet key.

Nope. I think I know what he missed.
Did you manage to check Chris's prison room? He has shotgun shells inside so be sure to go in after the cutscene of you getting him out. The cheevo/trophy should unlock when you reach the helipad.

EDIT: Alright, I just read that he did take them so that's good. Weird.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yo, the forest and cabin look phenomenal.

SkylineRKR

There's your problem. Dump the knife in the box unless you're doing a "knife only" run and don't look back. Code Veronica is the only old-school formula Biohazard that has a buffed up (REALLY BUFFED UP) knife. You have to get into the "weak as shit" mindset for the other games knives.

Yea the CV Knife is god tier. Usually did the first third of it knife only, and then swimming in ammo for the rest.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Based PC

7f7e0b8bef24ec3606151be100b70184.jpg

Nope. I think I know what he missed.
Did you manage to check Chris's prison room? He has shotgun shells inside so be sure to go in after the cutscene of you getting him out. The cheevo/trophy should unlock when you reach the helipad.

EDIT: Alright, I just read that he did take them so that's good. Weird.
I'll just recheck everything tomorrow. My best guess is somewhere in the lab, as that was the part where things got tedious for me and I might have been sloppy or missed a room.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Only place I hit the F12 key over and over...

...wish everything looked that good in this game :[

The atmosphere in the game is absolutely ridiculous. I wish we could get a game made in similar fashion on the new hardware we have :(. This game holds up better than some PS3/360 games.

This game is weird. It ruuns at less than one frame a second if I set it to 30 FPS, 60 FPS results in a smooth slowmotion game and variable works great but cutscene audio is way out of sync.

When I say less than a frame a second I mean it as the screen would go completely black every other second :lol. Quite odd! Granted I'm trying to play it on a GPU with 512mB of VRAM. But it makes zero sense that it hits at 40+ with variable yet can't even render properly with the 30 FPS cap.
So funny enough, I'm also on 512mb of VRAM and I had the same too... With VSYNC on. Once I turned that off 30fps played smooth as butter with high textures and low shadows.... Can't wait to upgrade this year to a nicer rig!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So funny enough, I'm also on 512mb of VRAM and I had the same too... With VSYNC on. Once I turned that off 30fps played smooth as butter with high textures and low shadows.... Can't wait to upgrade this year to a nicer rig!

Right, shadows! I should set them to low. I'm actually on a fairly decent rig with an FX-6300 CPU, but my GPU broke so I had to put in the old 9600GT :lol. Probably gonna get a cheap GTX960 by the end of next month or so.

Ugh, I wish they could patch in variable framerate into RE4, that would be super nice.

Edit: Another question, is the D-Pad the prefered way to use the tank controls? I can't deal with them using the joystick..hell I might even ditch the controller and use the keyboard, that's how I played Dino Crisis back in the day. My fixed camera+tank control hand is my right hand.

Nemesis_

1.) You don't have to use the Closet Key.

2.) Have you tried the room in the Aqua Ring? The one with the Plant 42 roots? I missed that since I was rushing through the game and killed it naturally so I never visited that room.

Grief.exe

I missed that achievement too, I wonder what room I missed.

2.) Have you tried the room in the Aqua Ring? The one with the Plant 42 roots? I missed that since I was rushing through the game and killed it naturally so I never visited that room.

Got that one.

Astral

I just beat the game in 4:46. I'm pretty happy with it considering I wasn't really trying to, it was my first time using Chris, and I didn't skip cutscenes. Does the game penalize you for using special weapons? And how do I play One Dangerous Zombie? It says unlocked it but I don't see it on the menu.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I missed that achievement too, I wonder what room I missed.

Apparently you need 100% all items taken in each of the rooms if the Steam achievement guide is right. So you have to go through the entire map making sure all rooms are "grey" instead of Red. I gotta do the lab later today to see if that's right since earlier today I went through the rest of the map clearing out the red I had.

Bumhead

Banned
Clearing all items from every room must be the issue people are having. I'm 99.9% sure I visited every room on my first play through, including the Plant 42 roots room and the inside of Chris' cell, but didn't get the trophy. Thinking back, I didn't clear every room of items, so that must be it.

Maybe one to combine with the Chris, hard mode, Ink is for Squids run I intend on doing with the rocket launcher.

Rflagg

Ugh I seem to be stuck. :/ I have gone everywhere I can with the helmet key and have one stone and metal emblem and one metal emblem ( I don't remember needing to find a stone ring to go around the emblem all those years ago). Every room on my map is green and I just can't think of what I am missing. I might be taking a little break while trying to come up with an answer.

Side note: It feels like I have over 15 hours already on this playthrough going so slow lmao

Edit: Thanks msdstc I might reveal that spoiler if I can't come up with anything, but I really want to come up with the answer on my own if I can. I just needed a bit of a vent as I spent an hour re-exploring places I knew did not contain the answer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ugh I seem to be stuck. :/ I have gone everywhere I can with the helmet key and have one stone and metal emblem and one metal emblem ( I don't remember needing to find a stone ring to go around the emblem all those years ago). Every room my map is green I just can't think of what I am missing. I might be taking a little break while trying to come up with an answer.

Side note: It feels like I have over 15 hours already on this playthrough going so slow lmao

the other stone ring is in the caves underneath the waterfall in the courtyard. You'll go through the caves and end up underneath Lisa trevors cabin

Top Bottom