• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Haha I just noticed this when playing with the analog stick. It definitely gets you out of sticky situations because running becomes so flawless with no button. Def looks weird as hell though and I don't know how I feel about it. Definitely ruins some of the tension for sure.

It's a trade off I think. In general, zombies are easier to dodge with the new controls, though players can get fucked when close to both an enemy and a camera transition point. The brief second it takes to reorient after switching camera angles can be very costly.

Hugstable

Banned
Finally gonna start my playthrough tonight! Played the crap outta this game back in the day, my final run before I moved on was timed in at 3 hours and 40 minutes, but I already know I'm gonna be doing nowhere near that good all these years later. Gonna be a fun experience again, it's been so long that some of it might feel somewhat new again... I hope. I absolutely loved this game, but I still can't believe I have never played Resident Evil 2 and 3 to this day. I wanted to play them so much back in the day after playing REmake, but I could never find a single copy of the gamecube versions, and I never had access to the PS1 versions back then. I just realized though that I can finally purchase them on PSN for my Vita, will definitely check out RE2 after I finish REREmake, always heard 2 was one of the better games in the series.

Miguel81

I've been playing through Resi on Normal with Chris and hot damn I've gotten back in the groove. Also changed the controls from Type E back to Type A because they feel better somehow on the DS4, which has a fantastic dpad. This game has brought me back from a gaming slump. Can't wait till Zero gets the remaster treatment since I've forgotten everything about that one. More Resi is always welcome.

Rflagg

the other stone ring is in the caves underneath the waterfall in the courtyard. You'll go through the caves and end up underneath Lisa trevors cabin

I think what you need to do is use the
crank on the outdoor pool to fill it up again, so you can go behind the waterfall.

I was stuck for a while here too.

Ok this is super embarrassing and I am not sure why the map called the room green, but after the room with the sideways closing walls
where the painting lifts away to reveal a path
there was a hole that I didn't want to jump down at the time because I thought it would be the second fight with the giant snake and I was not prepared for that. The only reason I found it was because I started searching once again every door the helmet key opened. The rooms I was looking in before for an hour were rooms that were red on the map, but I knew did not have what I needed.What I was missing was
the elevator battery.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
A bit off topic, but I've heard that RE 0 HD is basically confirmed as well. Is there an expected release date on that or do we just know that it's coming? I was thinking of getting a copy and playing it on Dolphin but I'd really rather play at 60fps...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
A bit off topic, but I've heard that RE 0 HD is basically confirmed as well. Is there an expected release date on that or do we just know that it's coming? I was thinking of getting a copy and playing it on Dolphin but I'd really rather play at 60fps...

I think there was a screenshot of the PS4 dashboard at some event that showed an RE0 remaster logo. It's probably well into development, but I assume it won't be released until late 2015 at the earliest. They have Revelations 2 releasing next month so they probably wouldn't want to steal its thunder.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I think there was a screenshot of the PS4 dashboard at some event that showed an RE0 remaster logo. It's probably well into development, but I assume it won't be released until late 2015 at the earliest. They have Revelations 2 releasing next month so they probably wouldn't want to steal its thunder.

Ah, good point. I guess if I can get it for like 5 bucks or something now it won't hurt to get it again on PC later this year.

Hugstable

Banned
The fuck? Dogs weren't always one hit KO like this... I keep pushing buttons to throw him off but something happened. I don't remember these dogs being one hit KO like this...

That zombie lunges and misses before the player even moves.

I like the alternate controls. I don't get all the hate. It makes transitions a little harder if anything, but I like being able to move in the direction that I'm pressing the analog stick. Eternal Darkness played like this back in the day and it's a super fun survival horror game.

I like the new control scheme too, I'm getting used to switching the analogue stick in the direction the character runs now for every camera angle. I really like the extra manoeuvrability to avoid zombies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wrapped up the game on normal with Chris. I played REmake back on the gamecube when it came out but only ever beat it with Jill, so it feels good to actually tie up a loose end from way back then. And holy shit did I cut that timer close.

CC7aXBrl.jpg

gfxtwin

Is anyone else having audio issues? When I installed the game initially it worked fine for a while and then the audio stopped working. Rebooting the PS3 did nothing so I reinstalled it. A few days later the audio problem persists. Damn it, this game takes a while to install too.

Is it just me or does the game look extremely grainy and not an "HD remaster"? The cut scenes the pre rendered backgrounds... i don't recall it looking this bad on the gamecube. It's really disconcerting at this point, i don't know what to think.

Danielsan

Is it just me or does the game look extremely grainy and not an "HD remaster"? The cut scenes the pre rendered backgrounds... i don't recall it looking this bad on the gamecube. It's really disconcerting at this point, i don't know what to think.
You don't recall it looking that bad on the Gamecube because you were likely playing it in SD on a SD CRT tv. Sadly Capcom couldn't/didn't rerender the backgrounds and pre-rendered cut-scenes. So the quality ends up being all over the place between backgrounds and pre-rendered cut scenes. With some looking great and others looking like shit. For the most part I wasn't too bothered by it, but I can see that some people might be turned off by some of the grungier looking upscaled backgrounds.

I might have to give up my no save speed run as Jill...twice I've gotten pissed off like hell only to have my progress ruined by those fucking instant kill rolling boulders. I did it perfectly my first time playing through as Chris, but screwed up both times playing as Jill.

I wish I had the time to play this now, holds so many memories for me. However I have such a large backlog I will have to wait a bit. Looks great though and I hope they do Resident Evil 2 in the future remasters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, for "Every Nook and Cranny" you NEED to 100% rooms/pick up all files/items in each room.

You'll get it right at the end of the game if you did that.

Achievement has bad wording. If they wanted all items, they should've said that instead of "visit every room."

Is there something wrong with mashing to push enemies off of you in this version? It seems like no matter what I press they always deal the maximum amount of damage. I loaded up the gamecube version just to compare it and was pretty easily able to get them off of me.

Not much of an issue thanks to defensive items. I mainly noticed it when a cerberus latched onto my arm.
I don't know what control type you're using, but on Type B seesawing the left analog stick as soon as possible works the quickest, way quicker than left button/left trigger.

Edit: Already answered by the Jonesman.

Yeah, for "Every Nook and Cranny" you NEED to 100% rooms/pick up all files/items in each room.

You'll get it right at the end of the game if you did that.

Achievement has bad wording. If they wanted all items, they should've said that instead of "visit every room."
Is it once the room is no longer red on the map it means you've collected all the items?

Bumhead

Banned
Finished my "take my time and get re-acquainted with the game" run and am about to start speed runnin'. Any advice on this with trophy collection in mind? I'm not sure if I want to tackle the under three hours trophy on hard mode or not. What would be the most efficient route? I need to finish the game with Chris, beat under 3/5 hours (but if I'm going for beat under 5, may as well beat under 3 to kill two birds with one metal object), and so on and it feels like an overwhelming decision to make.

Is it crazy to attempt the under 3 hours on hard mode? There's also real survivor and invisible enemy mode that I don't know anything about or how to even unlock them. Any advice would be great.

I'm going to try and Platinum this game and my runs so far have been;

1.) Jill - Normal - Standard play through
2.) Jill - Normal - Speed Run (end time of 2 hours 50 minutes)
3.) Chris - Very Easy - Knife Only

I'm around half way through with Chris on the knife run.

Next run is going to be Chris - Hard - No Saves, which should tie up the Hard mode, no saves and also unlock all costumes trophies. Should be fairly easy to get through hard without dying using the infinite rocket launcher I got from the speed run. Then after that I'll move onto Real Survivor and Invisible Mode.

I've no experience of speed running with Chris or on hard mode, but Jill has one or two benefits which might help you shave off some time. The big one being the ability to pick up Barry's .44 Magnum, which is a one shot kill on any enemy (crucially, the Tyrant) which essentially cuts out the time of a whole boss battle. She can also carry two extra items and has the lock pick, which might reduce backtracking and having to locate Old Key's.

I guess it depends on your desire to play through the game multiple times, and how many of the trophies you want to stack into single runs. For me, some of these runs such as knife only and speed running are challenges I've been wanting to do since 1996, but never really had the balls to try until now, so I'm loving playing the game over and over right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it once the room is no longer red on the map it means you've collected all the items?

Yes.

Just note:

Make sure you check the room Jill/Chris is in at the end.
The main hall will be red until you leave proper. Don't worry about it too much until you're ready to leave. If it's still red at that point panic but it shouldn't be.
MAKE SURE TO HAVE TWO SLOTS FOR THE END RUN if you are in need of healing items. If not, pick up the health item eat it and then get the other item before leaving/end-game run.

Otherwise all the other rooms you need to check the map and double-check it.

The main problem with the new controls and how thew screw up the balance is how they don't have any turning speed limits, you can just zip into any direction without having to plan it or think about it at all. They could have made the analog controls where you still go in what direction you point the stick (camera relative) but have it still balanced like the original game was by retaining the fixed turn speed of the original, and have it so that while running you still have to turn at a fixed speed to angle yourself and draw toward the angle of the stick rather than instantly point there. They didn't do this though and that's part of the reason the new controls are bad.

Did I seriously just fuck up my third attempt as Jill with no saves again??? I've been trying to get through the game as fast as I can, so to maybe get the under 3 hour achievement, and i haven't been saving either...in my haste, I got to a part in the game where

Barry leaves you behind in the underground area, and you have to get past Lisa by using the broken flamethrower on the lock for one of the doors...after I got past that area, I was kinda breezing through the areas to try and get back to the mansion again. As soon as I got back to the cabin where you first meet Lisa, I realized something...I didn't really leave the underground area with any new item that would help me progress. I started to remember from my playthrough as Chris, that I probably was supposed to get that ring that you put around the umbrella symbol for the door under the stairs...

BUT...and this is where I think I made a flaw myself, but it's fucked up that you can do this in the game...I think I prevented myself from completing the game at all...I can't get back to the some areas where I think the ring was...I can't go back underground using the elevator because Barry sabotaged it, and I can't go back the way I came for some reason, because there is no prompt to use the ladder that led me back up to the cabin. what the hell?

Shauni

Um, just finished the game with Jill, but didn't get the 100% map cheevo, it's at 99% according to the achievement screen. Hm, weird, I even looked through my map extensive and everything, all areas green. Oh well, going to start again with Chris and maybe manage to do it there.

Also, I forget, do you get weapons for beating it the first time?

Sectus

Did I seriously just fuck up my third attempt as Jill with no saves again??? I've been trying to get through the game as fast as I can, so to maybe get the under 3 hour achievement, and i haven't been saving either...in my haste, I got to a part in the game where

Barry leaves you behind in the underground area, and you have to get past Lisa by using the broken flamethrower on the lock for one of the doors...after I got past that area, I was kinda breezing through the areas to try and get back to the mansion again. As soon as I got back to the cabin where you first meet Lisa, I realized something...I didn't really leave the underground area with any new item that would help me progress. I started to remember from my playthrough as Chris, that I probably was supposed to get that ring that you put around the umbrella symbol for the door under the stairs...

BUT...and this is where I think I made a flaw myself, but it's fucked up that you can do this in the game...I think I prevented myself from completing the game at all...I can't get back to the some areas where I think the ring was...I can't go back underground using the elevator because Barry sabotaged it, and I can't go back the way I came for some reason, because there is no prompt to use the ladder that led me back up to the cabin. what the hell?

Unfortunately, that's my fault. Someone discovered that as a bug with my door skip mod the other day. I'll post here when I've got a new fixed version.

If you saved after going to the underground, you can use this to add the missing item to your inventory: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3130/fluffy-manager-5000 (although that has anti-cheat, so it won't work well with a speedrun playthrough)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Um, just finished the game with Jill, but didn't get the 100% map cheevo, it's at 99% according to the achievement screen. Hm, weird, I even looked through my map extensive and everything, all areas green. Oh well, going to start again with Chris and maybe manage to do it there.

Also, I forget, do you get weapons for beating it the first time?
Same here, been everywhere but it says I haven't.

KyleCross

Unfortunately, that's my fault. Someone discovered that as a bug with my door skip mod the other day. I'll post here when I've got a new fixed version.

If you saved after going to the underground, you can use this to add the missing item to your inventory: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3130/fluffy-manager-5000 (although that has anti-cheat, so it won't work well with a speedrun playthrough)

Yeah, if he's wanting to beat the game under 3 hours your manager isn't really an option due to the anti-cheat. So even once the mod gets fixed the ladder still won't work for him?

Sectus

Yeah, if he's wanting to beat the game under 3 hours your manager isn't really an option due to the anti-cheat. So even once the mod gets fixed the ladder still won't work for him?

Unfortunately, no. The fixed version will prevent the bug from happening, but if you have a save where it occured, you'll need to cheat the item into your inventory. Unless he's restarted, I could compile a build with anti-cheat disabled and send it to him.

Top Bottom