• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Dai101

Banned
I had started yet another less than 3 hour run attempt.... does the gametime stop if I have the game paused to anyone's knowledge? I have to step away for a few minutes beyond my control...

Been wondering this since 1996 and across 9 games in this damn franchise.

NO. For the Nth time in this thread. The in-game clock doesn't stop at anything but doors/gates/ladders/elevators/whatever. Not the item menu nor the pause menu stop it.

Bumhead

Banned
I've just finished a knife only run.

To be honest it was incredibly pedestrian. Playing on Very Easy helps enormously. By the end I had 38 spare ink ribbons and enough herbs and sprays to fuel 3 or 4 play throughs worth on normal difficulty.

The only enemies in the whole game to cause me any trouble were the balcony dog and Plant 42. Everything else was easy. The Tyrant fight was absolutely laughable, infact probably the easiest boss in the whole run.

Finishing the game with only the knife sounds daunting but if you know the layout of the mansion off by heart and play on Very Easy it's actually a breeze. I managed it in 3 hours 26 minutes, which is my second fastest run. Presumably that's why it's only a silver trophy rather than Gold.

Sectus

I had started yet another less than 3 hour run attempt.... does the gametime stop if I have the game paused to anyone's knowledge? I have to step away for a few minutes beyond my control...

As far as I know, the timer is never paused. I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop during door animations either, so my door skip mod would affect the final time.

Bumhead

Banned

If you want some down time when doing a speed run, what I did was just quit to the main menu after saving and re-loading again once I was ready.

You might save more regularly than some would advise is necessary as a result, but if you need to collect your thoughts and plan your next route it's a decent strategy rather than just pausing.

Rean

Just beat the game with jill. This game is so good I like it more than some of the games that came out last year.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my 2nd playtrough, but this time without saving once.. Many websites said you get the Ingram (Uzi with unlimited ammo) FU** THIS BS.. All I got is a silver trophy ffs

AND it took me exactly 6 hours because I had to be careful, which means I also failed at the speedrun special weapons ....................

tumblr_mq6tyvBPon1squnpto1_500.gif

Melchiah

41mBzJKl.jpg

My leisure run is done. It was a welcome revisit to the mansion, that rekindled my interest for gaming in 1998. I don't think I'll replay it in the foreseeable future though. I missed something in the courtyard's elevator area, and thus missed "Every Nook and Cranny" trophy as well. =/

Astral

I've just finished a knife only run.

To be honest it was incredibly pedestrian. Playing on Very Easy helps enormously. By the end I had 38 spare ink ribbons and enough herbs and sprays to fuel 3 or 4 play throughs worth on normal difficulty.

The only enemies in the whole game to cause me any trouble were the balcony dog and Plant 42. Everything else was easy. The Tyrant fight was absolutely laughable, infact probably the easiest boss in the whole run.

Finishing the game with only the knife sounds daunting but if you know the layout of the mansion off by heart and play on Very Easy it's actually a breeze. I managed it in 3 hours 26 minutes, which is my second fastest run. Presumably that's why it's only a silver trophy rather than Gold.

I regret starting it on Normal and especially with squishy-ass Jill. Black Tiger is killing me in three or four hits.

I regret starting it on Normal and especially with squishy-ass Jill. Black Tiger is killing me in three or four hits.

Best thing about Black Tiger is that
it's entirely skipable if you chose to ignore it and just cut the webs that cover the door infront of the one you came from, there's also a knife for you to do so if you don't have one in your pocket. However, if you want the trophy/achievement then you'll have to defeat it.

So I've been progressing slowly but steadily with Jill. I have played the GC version but only up until the getting the Armor Key and that's it. Recently I unlocked a door with Armor key and was surprised that the game prompted me to discard it. I did so but I still had my Sword key in my item box and never got a prompt to discard it. It seems like I haven't needed it again since getting the Armor key, is there still something later on that requires the Sword key or does the game just never prompt you to discard the Sword key like the Armor key?

Dai101

Banned
So I've been progressing slowly but steadily with Jill. I have played the GC version but only up until the getting the Armor Key and that's it. Recently I unlocked a door with Armor key and was surprised that the game prompted me to discard it. I did so but I still had my Sword key in my item box and never got a prompt to discard it. It seems like I haven't needed it again since getting the Armor key, is there still something later on that requires the Sword key or does the game just never prompt you to discard the Sword key like the Armor key?

Keys can be discarded as soon as the game ask you to.

Astral

Best thing about Black Tiger is that
it's entirely skipable if you chose to ignore it and just cut the webs that cover the door infront of the one you came from, there's also a knife for you to do so if you don't have one in your pocket. However, if you want the trophy/achievement then you'll have to defeat it.

Yeah I forgot about that. I just baited an attack and cut the webs.

People really fight the Black Tiger?

I'm out.

I forgot! Besides, he dies fast as fuck with the assault shotgun anyway and the game showers you with ammo for it.

Åesop;149447345 said:

This is how I'm feeling right now after another 2 hours or so wasted when I get to the part with Lisa where you have to push the rocks off the edge, and I press my buttons too fast without thinking...didn't give Barry his gun back, and Lisa pushed me off the edge for another instant death ruining my 5th 3 hour no save attempt

Anung

Un Rama
B8Z8wzlIYAARSGC.jpg:large

Real Survivor done. The only part I found annoying was having to basically do runs from chest to chest to make sure I had the right guns for the next boss.

This is how I'm feeling right now after another 2 hours or so wasted when I get to the part with Lisa where you have to push the rocks off the edge, and I press my buttons too fast without thinking...didn't give Barry his gun back, and Lisa pushed me off the edge for another instant death ruining my 5th 3 hour no save attempt

Well, it's a minimum of 6 playthroughs if you want the platinum. Normal, Speedrun, Real Survivor(completing real survivor unlocks the hard trophy/achievement as well if I'm not mistaken), Invisible Enemy mode, Knife Run and no saves run.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm waiting to do a no save run after a 3 hour run so I can just roll through with the rocket launcher.

I do get tripped up on that fight and die a lot, lol.

Nemesis_

Hmmm, I think most people will disagree with you.

Getting the shotgun and grenade launcher early pretty much means that as long as you reserve pistol ammo for zombies, you got some serious arsenal for anything that serves as a threat.

As far as lighter goes, the assault shotgun takes out crimsons up close with one shot even on normal mode. So you don't need to worry about burning zombies, you're shotgun is the new lighter.

And as for hunters and bosses, you got the grenade launcher and magnum ammo.

I agree that Chris is actually easier to use if you know what you're doing. If you don't then Jill is probably the better choice.

1.) Chris has more health
2.) Chris' defense items prevent crimsons from happening
3.) He has a more focused inventory and thus more ammo for said inventory
4.) Rebecca can heal him at two points throughout the story
5.) He's better with a knife
6.) He runs faster when not equipped with any items
7.) The Black Tiger is a pushover with the Flamethrower

Of course there are some negatives but personally I don't find these to be negatives anyway

- Old Keys are harder to track than lockpick (but most are found very close to where you need to use them anyway)
- Chris always has to fight Plant 42 regardless of whether V-JOLT is used
- Chris has to do the proper procedure to get the original Shotgun
- Chris has a smaller inventory

Astral

I missed the 3 hour trophy by 2 fucking minutes lol. I'm gonna see if I can beat Tyrant a little faster but shit, I doubt it.

I'm waiting to do a no save run after a 3 hour run so I can just roll through with the rocket launcher.

I do get tripped up on that fight and die a lot, lol.

I hadn't even really considered that...that probably would be a lot easier.

What are all the unlock rewards/conditions for this game anyway? I'm not even really sure.

Astral

Lol now I missed the rocket launcher by 57 seconds. I think that's as good as it's gonna get this run. I made one tiny mistake somewhere. Sigh.

I loved replaying this so much now I'm playing the GameCube port of RE2, have a feeling RE3 will be next. I barely remember anything about RE2, pretty sure I was smoking alot of weed back then.

Rean

Is there anything specific you have to do to get the Every Nook and Cranny Trophy? I got everything except the elevator on the left side of the mansion.

Anung

Un Rama
Is there anything specific you have to do to get the Every Nook and Cranny Trophy? I got everything except the elevator on the left side of the mansion.

Pick up every item/note so rooms go from Red to white on the map screen. Elevators stay Red.

I asked a while ago about whether there was a fix for the sped up and distorted music tracks in the game, and searching through the thread I'm far from the only one who wants to know. Someone has indeed repacked the original, undistorted tracks for use in the PC version, here: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3149/fixed-background-music

This should be linked in the OP. It's a ridiculous oversight, there's no way it went unnoticed and there's no way someone genuinely thought these altered versions were fit to be used; the distortion makes the high notes in some tracks almost physically uncomfortable to hear. And not a word from Capcom on it as of yet. This is such a baffling issue.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

100% item search/file get all the rooms. YES. EVERY. Which means best ending.

Wording for that is stupid since it makes you think "oh visit every room EASY!" Nope. :/

XBox One Users!
Has anyone been able to upload anything in this game using Upload Studio? I'm not able to upload even a quick 10-second clip. I get error:

Please try again
Sorry, we weren't able to upload your clip just now. (0x80040206).

There seem to be lots of problems with this error when googling it, but no solution. I tried uploading a clip from Worms and that worked just fine, so wondering if certain games just won't let you upload.

Tesseract

Banned
I asked a while ago about whether there was a fix for the sped up and distorted music tracks in the game, and searching through the thread I'm far from the only one who wants to know. Someone has indeed repacked the original, undistorted tracks for use in the PC version, here: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3149/fixed-background-music

This should be linked in the OP. It's a ridiculous oversight, there's no way it went unnoticed and there's no way someone genuinely thought these altered versions were fit to be used; the distortion makes the high notes in some tracks almost physically uncomfortable to hear. And not a word from Capcom on it as of yet. This is such a baffling issue.

yup, thanks for this. bacon probably knows about it, expect a patch

SeanTSC

just logged at RE.net to see some stuff and saw this

4Il8Ze8.jpg

this was my reaction

How+About+No.jpg

i saw some of members here did that

but ,,,, HOW ?

how you gonna kill the snake using only the knife ?

how you gonna kill a hunter ?
or how you gonna beat the final boss ( the second time with there is a timer ) ?

Frankly it was really easy and really boring. You can play on very easy and skip killing every single enemy except for the Collar Dog, Plant 42, Prototype Crimson Head, Yawn (Snake), and Tyrant 1 (you don't trigger Tyrant 2). Tyrant and Yawn are a joke. Tyrant turns super slow and you just keep running around his back and stabbing him and he never retaliates. Yawn you can make him run through the bookcase and just keep hitting him in the back, same thing - though frankly it's faster to just stand there and take hits from him on Very Easy and heal as necessary. Collar Dog is well, a dog. Plant 42 is really simple, just slash at the vines. The Prototype Crimson Head is the only "hard" part, but as long as you bring a couple healing items it's cake.

Everything else you can run right past. Hunters are super easy to run past and never get touched. There's more than enough healing items to get through it even if you're really bad about dodging zombies and tons of save ribbons. The only "tense" part is dodging a couple things while carrying the fuel canister. Since you're not picking up any weapons or ammo or extra crap it goes really fast too, even when playing it safe and saving a lot and filling up on herbs. It's just running from place to place with everything unequipped and only carrying the knife for those 5 fights. Easy, simple, and pretty dull.

Panzon

slightly off topic but does Resident Evil 5 work? I feel like buying it from Steam right now but not sure if it'll work or not since GFWL is no longer active I think

Dai101

Banned
Just to add to what SeanTSC just posted.

With Chris is even easier (in any difficulty) to kill the Prototype V-ACT. Just get the flash granade and let him grab you. If you have a gun just shot him or in knife only just wait for it to explode.

TheSeks

slightly off topic but does Resident Evil 5 work? I feel like buying it from Steam right now but not sure if it'll work or not since GFWL is no longer active I think

Yes it works. GfWL isn't shut down. You can still get the 360--er--"PC" achievements and play online. Though online is probably dead due to said GfWL.

or in knife only just wait for it to explode.

Knife only is NO DEFENSE ITEMS. NO STOMPING HEADS. KNIFE ONLY. Which makes it tricky. Unless Biohazard.net's description for that saying "NO DEFENSE ITEMS/STOMPING HEADS" is a lie.

SeanTSC

Just to add to what SeanTSC just posted.

With Chris is even easier (in any difficulty) to kill the Prototype V-ACT. Just get the flash granade and let him grab you. If you have a gun just shot him or in knife only just wait for it to explode.

Can't use Guns or Defense Weapons (Grenades/Daggers) on the Knife-Only run. ><

Dai101

Banned
Yes it works. GfWL isn't shut down. You can still get the 360--er--"PC" achievements and play online. Though online is probably dead due to said GfWL.

Knife only is NO DEFENSE ITEMS. NO STOMPING HEADS. KNIFE ONLY. Which makes it tricky. Unless Biohazard.net's description for that saying "NO DEFENSE ITEMS/STOMPING HEADS" is a lie.

Can't use Guns or Defense Weapons (Grenades/Daggers) on the Knife-Only run. ><

Huh .... never thought on that.

Achievments/Trophys suck anyway.

Panzon

This is why I love GAF. Thanks alot!

Finished HD REmaster last night and now have the urge to run through RE 4 & 5.

Grief.exe

Play through RE4 HD now, it's the definitive version of the game, wait for the GFWL removal patch for RE5. Hopefully we get the missing DLC as well.

TheSeks

Note: Like the other guy said: GfWL is being patched out of Bio5 this year. So if you care about your X-box Live profile: Get 100% acheivements on it ASAP before it gets patched. AFAIK it may transfer said 100% over with the Steamworks port which means 100% Steam achievements as well (unless like Dark Souls' port it gives you a choice to go in "clean.").

Top Bottom