• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Panzon

Play through RE4 HD now, it's the definitive version of the game, wait for the GFWL removal patch for RE5. Hopefully we get the missing DLC as well
I have it and beat it a few months ago. I have some pretty cool mods for it which i never got around to installing and gonna run through it on Professional mode. Can't get enough of this game and have beat it like 8 times

Note: Like the other guy said: GfWL is being patched out of Bio5 this year. So if you care about your X-box Live profile: Get 100% acheivements on it ASAP before it gets patched. AFAIK it may transfer said 100% over with the Steamworks port which means 100% Steam achievements as well (unless like Dark Souls' port it gives you a choice to go in "clean.").
I haven't had an Xbox since 2011 so that's not really an issue for me. The game has a lot of replay-ability for my taste so I'd start fresh if necessary

So, going for trophies... what should my next playthrough be? I've decided that I'm not going to attempt a speedrun just yet as I'm still re-familiarizing myself with the game. I guess my options are either a hard mode run or a knife-only run, but I figure that maybe the hard mode run could be combined with a speed run later on-- but I'm not sure if that's wise either.

Just basically looking for a sensible "roadmap" to getting all trophies with the minimal number of required playthroughs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't do a Speedrun on Hard UNLESS you've got the Rocket Launcher.

Do easy for the Speedrun if you aren't used to doing Normal. For Passion for Fashion you HAVE to have both characters completed on one save file which opens "One Dangerous Zombie" which, IMO, should be an option and it's stupid of Capcom to not fix that in the HD port, but whatever.

Ignoring that you need 4 playthroughs: One on normal to unlock all difficulties. One again with the same character on Real Survival (any difficulty, apparently it'll unlock Hard/Real Survival at the same time), one character/other on Invisible Enemy (to avoid "One Dangerous Zombie" being added to this, use the one character twice before doing this run so it unlocks "ODZ" on this run complete) then do another normal run with the other character to mop up.

So, going for trophies... what should my next playthrough be? I've decided that I'm not going to attempt a speedrun just yet as I'm still re-familiarizing myself with the game. I guess my options are either a hard mode run or a knife-only run, but I figure that maybe the hard mode run could be combined with a speed run later on-- but I'm not sure if that's wise either.

Just basically looking for a sensible "roadmap" to getting all trophies with the minimal number of required playthroughs.

My order

1. Jill Normal 100% Save Everyone
2. Chris Very Easy Knife Only Save Everyone
3. Jill Real Survival Save Nobody
4. Chris Very Easy Invisible Enemies No Saves Save Nobody
5. Jill Normal Speed Run Save Nobody

I believe that should get you everything.

edit - playthrough four should be no saves. No saves would also work on playthrough 2, though I didn't feel experienced enough by that point to try it.

demigod

Does subwoofer not work in this game? Mine goes into standby mode and if i turn on a music or netflix it comes out of standby.

035026FE0C7B1E9D2501734A31C4A082B559F998

Finally! lol getting the time down didn't seem to be my problem, it was those damn instant deaths >_< Finally did it though.

HeelPower

I think this game prepared me mentally to play Dino Crisis.

Its one of mikami's best and most challenging right ? Dinos roam the place right ?

Since I want more of Mikami greatness I think Dino Crisis should do the job!

Dude Dino Crisis is the shit.

Oh, for trophies like obtain all weapons, does this have to be done on one save file, or does it all stack in general?

Dude Dino Crisis is the shit.

Oh, for trophies like obtain all weapons, does this have to be done on one save file, or does it all stack in general?

One save file to be safe. Always use your latest clear save (make a clear save after every playthrough and play from it) and select Once Again/Real Survival/Invisible Enemies depending on what you're going for.

Once I'm done playing this, I feel so in the mood to play through more of the classic RE games. RE0master can't come soon enough, but man...I wish there was a remake of RE2 and 3. I love RE2, but I'm just tired of going back to it with those old graphics, and clunky controls. I think some versions of RE2 did add the quick turn, but I don't have any of those versions. Wasn't it the Gamecube version that had that?

I'm also ashamed to say it, but even though I was an RE fan since I first played RE2 when it came out, I still have never finished RE3.

Dahbomb

Its one of mikami's best and most challenging right ? Dinos roam the place right ?

Yeah Dino Crisis is pretty damn good although I don't think it's the most challenging Mikami game.

Dino Crisis 2 is also pretty awesome although it skews heavily into the action direction.

Miguel81

Dino Crisis is excellent. I remember having to beat it without saving because I didn't own a memory card at the time. Those were the days :/

Rflagg

Frankly it was really easy and really boring. You can play on very easy and skip killing every single enemy except for the Collar Dog, Plant 42, Prototype Crimson Head, Yawn (Snake), and Tyrant 1 (you don't trigger Tyrant 2). Tyrant and Yawn are a joke. Tyrant turns super slow and you just keep running around his back and stabbing him and he never retaliates. Yawn you can make him run through the bookcase and just keep hitting him in the back, same thing - though frankly it's faster to just stand there and take hits from him on Very Easy and heal as necessary. Collar Dog is well, a dog. Plant 42 is really simple, just slash at the vines. The Prototype Crimson Head is the only "hard" part, but as long as you bring a couple healing items it's cake.

Everything else you can run right past. Hunters are super easy to run past and never get touched. There's more than enough healing items to get through it even if you're really bad about dodging zombies and tons of save ribbons. The only "tense" part is dodging a couple things while carrying the fuel canister. Since you're not picking up any weapons or ammo or extra crap it goes really fast too, even when playing it safe and saving a lot and filling up on herbs. It's just running from place to place with everything unequipped and only carrying the knife for those 5 fights. Easy, simple, and pretty dull.

Marking this post for later if I decide to go for platinum. I finally finished my first run with Jill and it seemed a lot longer, but it took me just over 13 hours. I will be taking a semi-break before I do a Chris run or anything else.

just logged at RE.net to see some stuff and saw this

4Il8Ze8.jpg

this was my reaction

How+About+No.jpg

i saw some of members here did that

but ,,,, HOW ?

how you gonna kill the snake using only the knife ?

how you gonna kill a hunter ?
or how you gonna beat the final boss ( the second time with there is a timer ) ?

People did that all the time in the original PS1 version and that was MUCH harder. It's not really that difficult

Menome

If you only played the OG on PSX is understandable.

I played through the GameCube version back in 2004, I've just forgotten which doors go with which keys, so it's been a case of doing laps around the mansion to unlock all the Sword Key doors before remembering I had already picked up the Dog Whistle.

So what are the chances capcom/blue point will remaster Onimusha somewhere down the line? Of all the HD Classics to make it to the PS3 I can't understand why we haven't had an Onimusha Trilogy HD Collection yet.

Cudder

Glad I asked, then. With these things it's always sketchy.

Someone earlier in the thread said to use different save slots for each run through. So my second play through is being saved in Slot 2, not over my original save file in Slot 1. I don't really think it matters though because wherever you save your file it still has all of the data from previous playthroughs anyway.

image.php

futuramafry.jpg

lol, jk. I played Dino Crisis way back when it came out, and I remember really enjoying it, but I don't remember much about it at this point. Maybe I should finally give it another go too.

I cannot remember anything other than the T-Rex scene and Flintstones inspired costume for Regina. I would love to play a remake of it

Someone earlier in the thread said to use different save slots for each run through. So my second play through is being saved in Slot 2, not over my original save file in Slot 1. I don't really think it matters though because wherever you save your file it still has all of the data from previous playthroughs anyway.

So if I have multiple saves and I unlock all the weapons across said saves, it'll count for the weapons (Starsenal) trophy?

As long as you have a single up-to-date cleared save, you can use as many of the other slots as you'd like.

Astral

I feel like I should have the Passion for Fashion trophy unlocked but I don't. I already unlocked One Dangerous Zombie so I've beaten the game with both characters. I have the Jill army costume, Chris street costume, and RE3 Jill.

Mr_Zombie

I feel like I should have the Passion for Fashion trophy unlocked but I don't. I already unlocked One Dangerous Zombie so I've beaten the game with both characters. I have the Jill army costume, Chris street costume, and RE3 Jill.

There's also unlockable Chris' costume from CODE: Veronica.

Melchiah

Pick up every item/note so rooms go from Red to white on the map screen. Elevators stay Red.

Does that go for the one in the courtyard, where
Barry abandons you
? If so, I guess I'll have the trophy in the bag, when I enter the costume room.

EDIT: Or do you have to get it on one playthrough, including the costume room?

RE5?
getout.gif

Why does everyone on gaf seem to hate RE5 so much? :( I honestly think it's just as good as RE4. Sheva is kinda useless as an AI partner, but as long as you take away her weapons, she can't really fuck things up lol

I haven't played it in a couple years, but I played RE5 sooo much because I had so much fun with it. The campaign, mercenaries, and the DLC were all so good. I even played with random people online for the campaign and still had a good time. It's not old school RE, but I still think it managed to perfectly provide a great sense of tension and fear during combat because of how threatening the enemies are, and while ammo is not as limited as a RE1-3 type game, it's certainly kinda limited enough where you want to aim carefully, and not waste bullets like any old action game.

I just don't understand why so many love RE4, and hate RE5. It felt like a good sequel to it. I prefer the RE4 style controls, so I always played RE5 like that, with one analog. Feels more like Resident Evil to me when you play it like that. I also think it's probably one of the most enjoyable in terms of characterization and story. Chris, Sheva and Jill are all portrayed great, with well done cutscenes and dialogue.

That's just my opinion anyway, I just don't like being a minority :(

Bl@de

Why does everyone on gaf seem to hate RE5 so much? :( I honestly think it's just as good as RE4. Sheva is kinda useless as an AI partner, but as long as you take away her weapons, she can't really fuck things up lol

I haven't played it in a couple years, but I played RE5 sooo much because I had so much fun with it. The campaign, mercenaries, and the DLC were all so good. I even played with random people online for the campaign and still had a good time. It's not old school RE, but I still think it managed to perfectly provide a great sense of tension and fear during combat because of how threatening the enemies are, and while ammo is not as limited as a RE1-3 type game, it's certainly kinda limited enough where you want to aim carefully, and not waste bullets like any old action game.

I just don't understand why so many love RE4, and hate RE5. It felt like a good sequel to it. I prefer the RE4 style controls, so I always played RE5 like that, with one analog. Feels more like Resident Evil to me when you play it like that. I also think it's probably one of the most enjoyable in terms of characterization and story. Chris, Sheva and Jill are all portrayed great, with well done cutscenes and dialogue.

I agree with you. Especially about the controls. Switched immediatly to RE4 tank controls because the normal setting felt like total crap. Yes it's worse than RE4 ... but is it a bad game? No. But I think a lot of people actually like it. We need to focus our hate on 6 and Code Veronica

Erebus

I'm with you. I had so much fun playing RE5 on PS3. I've spent hundreds of hours on the PS3 version and later I double dipped on the Steam version.

strafer

Same here.

I think RE5 is better than 4. Not that i think 4 is a bad game, its great.

Yeah, honestly - this sounds awkward to say since RE5 was such a huge seller, but from a critical standpoint I think it's a little bit underrated. It's not quite on the level of RE4 (although it does beat it in a few aspects. Reapers are such a fantastic enemy, I love them) but it's an excellent game, and the co-op is brilliantly implemented. I definitely feel bad for people who tried to play it solo, though, but when the game is clearly made to be played with another person I can't say I sympathize with people who want to knock the game because the AI partners suck.

I think RE5 is about as good as RE4, but I think RE4 is incredibly overrated. Even the controls in RE4 aren't good enough. And I've read many people claim it is like the best game of all time... I just find it hard to believe that people feel that highly about the game and I am a long time fan of the RE series.

It is also weird that people complain about tank controls in re1-cv but then RE4 uses tank controls and its like the bomb for some reason. I mean, you literally cannot strafe in the game.

I still like RE4... but it is far from being a top tier game imho. It does a lot of things worse than even mediocre games get right consistently.

ivb_1973

Banned
Wow, this shit is intense
The other day I found myself without ink ribbons (it's hard to get rid of the habit of saving every 5 minutes >.<) and I had to beat mister snake, father crimson and monster lisa BEFORE I could find another ink ribbon o_O Good luck I could run past snake and lisa but fuck, that was intense haha
Now I just killed the father shark and I have 1 ink ribbon in my inventory.
Loving the game so far, specially the challenge provided by messing up the beginning XDD

Carbonox

Resident Evil 6 being a pile of shit made me - and others - appreciate Resident Evil 5 a lot more. I consider RE5 the last great RE title, personally. A lot of things came to a head and the series only ever went downhill since then from a quality perspective.

Resident Evil Remake Remastered Revengeance coming out during this questionable time for the series is a nice reminder of what the series was and what it should aim to be even now. It helps that the remaster still holds up excellently. It's still my absolute favourite survival horror title.

The other day I found myself without ink ribbons (it's hard to get rid of the habit of saving every 5 minutes >.<) and I had to beat mister snake, father crimson and monster lisa BEFORE I could find another ink ribbon o_O Good luck I could run past snake and lisa but fuck, that was intense haha
Loving the game so far, specially the challenge provided by messing up the beginning XDD

Bad news, there are more boss fights to come, I'd try and hold off saving so often.

Kuraudo

Banned
I'd probably put RE5 alongside RE3 quality-wise. Neither are as strong as the best games in the series (RE/REmake and RE4, for me), but they're still incredibly strong, well-polished and fun games.

Code Veronica was an excellent game, but mercilessly difficult.

I love Rockfort Island, but the game nose-dives in quality after the fight with the tyrant. The little Spencer mansion was nice, but the rest of Antartica is really dull.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even when RE5 came out I loved it, game is a ton of fun and had a lot of meat to it. It's not RE4 tier and stuck to the blueprint of that game a bit too closely, but it's still a good time.

Melchiah

I had a similar "Oh shit!" moment, when I hadn't saved for a while and ran into
Yawn for the second time
, and I only had a shotgun with little ammo and no health items.

ivb_1973

Banned
Bad news, there are more boss fights to come, I'd try and hold off saving so often.

I guess saving once after beating a boss is good, right? That's what I'm doing, but now I need to find another ink ribbon because there is just one left XD
Looking forward to kill meaning of life (plantie), so much trolling under the floor.
The good news is that now I have plenty of healing items, perks of learning how to avoid killer things. I love games that force you to play them properly punishing your fails, every game should have an option to do that, specially survival horrors

Panzon

If you get impatient and decide to play RE5 now, here are some workarounds to get GFWL running on Windows 8. The trigger for me is moving the folders over to the 32 bit side as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192173937
I can boot the game but when it asks me to update Windows Live, I'm unable to install it. It says "The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\xlive\sqmapi.dll."

I have 4 hours trying to figure out what the problem is but nothing is working. i have windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Without updating Gfwl I won't be able to save the game

Jinjo

Felt the need to back you up, I completely agree. Absolutely loved RE 5, it still carried a lot of the good things from RE 4 and I enjoyed the entire game and mercenaries was a lot of fun! Going through the campaign first time on local co-op with a buddy was honestly one of the better co-op experiences I've had in gaming. So much laughs and fear to be had.

Top Bottom