• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Randam

I'm not getting the Paiting room puzzle. I remember the Playstation one being different.

And no one explains the rationale online :(
Wasn't it from young to old/death?

And do the grimson heads appear after a set time or after you trigger it somehow?
Afair the got back up after you returned from the guard house!?

Arkanius

Wasn't it from young to old/death?

And do the grimson heads appear after a set time or after you trigger it somehow?
Afair the got back up after you returned from the guard house!?

It's different now.
But I finally got it.

You have to change the lights of the paintings until the colors match the Lisa painting colors

haikira

Just gave it a quick five minute go. Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Going to blast away at this over the weekend.

Think I'm going to roll 4:3 and original controls. I appreciate what they've done with the pan and scan, and the new controls. Choice is never a bad thing. I just don't personally like the pan and scan, as I know I'm not seeing everything, and it's definitely sharper looker on the original aspect ratio. Also, I can't imagine playing an old school RE without tank controls.

Arkanius

Just gave it a quick five minute go. Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Going to blast away at this over the weekend.

Think I'm going to roll 4:3 and original controls. I appreciate what they've done with the pan and scan, and the new controls. Choice is never a bad thing. I just don't personally like the pan and scan, as I know I'm not seeing everything, and it's definitely sharper looker on the original aspect ratio. Also, I can't imagine playing an old school RE without tank controls.

I thought we saw more with 16:9.
Is it stretched?

I hadn't noticed it yet

EDIT:

Some backgrounds definitely don't look as bad due the zoomed out image. Guess I'll keep the 4:3

haikira

Is it stretched?

I hadn't noticed it yet

EDIT:

Some backgrounds definitely don't look as bad due the zoomed out image. Guess I'll keep the 4:3

Bit of a crude mock up, but If I'm not mistaken, what you'd be seeing in widescreen is the blue area, and it'll adjust up and down to suit where the character is.

Just to clarify, I think it was the only feasible solution within the scope of the remake, and I'm glad it's there, just like the new controls. More choice is only ever a good thing. I just don't intend to use either.

re4p08_629615ba_6dkyih.jpg

zma1013

Is it stretched?

I hadn't noticed it yet

EDIT:

That's the entire deal with these pre-rendered background, you can't see more than 4:3 shows you because there isn't anymore to show. 16:9 in this particular case is just cropping off the top and/or bottom and zooming in, as the poster above shows. It's not at all like movies where they start with a larger widescreen image and crop off the sides to fit 4:3 later for older sets.

Bit of a crude mock up, but If I'm not mistaken, what you'd be seeing in widescreen is the blue area, and it'll adjust up and down to suit where the character is.

Just to clarify, I think it was the only feasible solution within the scope of the remake, and I'm glad it's there, just like the new controls. More choice is only ever a good thing. I just don't intend to use either.

Moving up and down the widescreen with the character was a nice idea. But I have to go with the original. Gota know how to act the moment a zombie's head pops into the screen.

Arkanius

Yeah and it would be okay if they had managed to get the original artwork for the backgrounds and remaster them properly.

It's better if they don't get stretched much, I'll stay with 4:3 for now.
(I should apply a CRT filter to this for maximum ambiance lol)

Yeah and it would be okay if they had managed to get the original artwork for the backgrounds and remaster them properly.

It's better if they don't get stretched much, I'll stay with 4:3 for now.
(I should apply a CRT filter to this for maximum ambiance lol)

they don't get stretched at all in 16:9

Skullface

Fuck. Me. I finally beat the game, but I was feeling that something was off... Apparently there was a segment where I had to save Rebecca? Man, no final Tyrant fight and a shit ending. Game took me 15 hours ;_;

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Fuck. Me. I finally beat the game, but I was feeling that something was off... Apparently there was a segment where I had to save Rebecca? Man, no final Tyrant fight and a shit ending. Game took me 15 hours ;_;

there's a point when you're about to go to the lab and rebecca screams. Chris says "maybe upstairs" or something along those lines. If you go upstairs to the room where you find the dog whistle, a hunter has rebecca cornered.

Manu

When you get the Spencer Emblem Key, you should've heard Rebecca yell from upstairs.

Then you need to save her from a Hunter.

EDIT: Beaten

Bumhead

Banned
Started my Real Survival run tonight with Jill.

Just collected the fourth death mask. I've saved once and my current status is;

5 - Ink Ribbons
17 - Handgun Ammo
12 - Shotgun rounds
6 - Grenade Rounds
6 - Acid Rounds
2 - First Aid Spray
3 - Mixed Herbs

Feels like I'm in a strong position for this stage.

I'm concentrating all my attention on the storage box under the East Wing stairs, due to it's proximity to the exit to the residence/courtyard and also the painting room (which is a favoured shortcut to avoid the dog and now zombie infested corridors on the East of the first floor).

Going to blast the Crimson Elder then head off to the residence. I always feel like things progress really quickly from then on.

Astral

Some asshole Hunter just ended my Real Survival/No save run. I had no idea the leap attack killed you at one shot even at full health. Ugh, 90 minutes of my life wasted.

Some asshole Hunter just ended my Real Survival/No save run. I had no idea the leap attack killed you at one shot even at full health. Ugh, 90 minutes of my life wasted.

No save run and knife run is always better left to very easy just to save you the time and pain. There is just so many chances where things could go very wrong.

Bumhead

Banned

Oh god.

You're far braver than me trying to stack Real Survivor with no saves.

I'm doing no saves with the full benefit of the infinite rocket launcher.

Astral

No save run and knife run is always better left to very easy just to save you the time and pain. There is just so many chances where things could go very wrong.

Oh god.

You're far braver than me trying to stack Real Survivor with no saves.

I'm doing no saves with the full benefit of the infinite rocket launcher.

Yeah I might just do my no save run at an easier difficulty to save myself the stress. It's actually not that hard on Real Survival since I've got everything memorized. The only things I was worried about were the catacombs and the final Lisa fight. That was only the second time I got hit lol. It was my fault for not shooting the Hunter fast enough. I just stood there. At the rate I was going I would've easily beaten it in under 3 hours too...

Anung

Un Rama
My invisible enemy run is going fine. Just hit the residence and having no problems. Love using defense weapons and watching them float about.

Kind of annoyed that the gun trophy works on separate saves but costumes don't. Basically got to do 2 more runs after the knife run to get them D:

Bumhead

Banned
My invisible enemy run is going fine. Just hit the residence and having no problems. Love using defense weapons and watching them float about.

How does invisible enemy compare to Real Survival in terms of difficulty, item frequency/distribution etc..?

I'm not having too many problems on Real Survival, but it's tense enough that I'm anxious about invisible enemy. After this Real Survival and a No Saves run with Chris, invisible enemy will be the last trophy I need for Platinum.

Anung

Un Rama
How does invisible enemy compare to Real Survival in terms of difficulty, item frequency/distribution etc..?

I'm not having too many problems on Real Survival, but it's tense enough that I'm anxious about invisible enemy. After this Real Survival and a No Saves run with Chris, invisible enemy will be the last trophy I need for Platinum.

Piece of piss in comparison to that. I managed to speed run through real survivor in about 4 hours with no hitches. Probably lost loads of time just moving items between chests as I need them. But invisible mode is fine.

3 minutes 11 seconds. I spend too much time in the mansion before getting to the residence. Once I reach the residence I can blow through it.

doing jill/normal under 5 hours and wasted too many rounds killing plant 42 and now i'm back at the mansion with only one shotgun round :(

guess i could grab the grenade launcher

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got under 3 on normal for the rocket launcher.

SC2qhuYl.jpg

Never did that before so it feels really good to get that out of the way. I was constantly fretting that I wasn't going to make it but it gives a solid amount of leeway, I still played way too cautiously regarding ammo as I had a solid ~10 magnum shots left, so I should have been using that earlier. Also got nearly fucked up by those stupid snakes trying to place the battery as unlike any other run I've had they practically combo hit me, poisoned me, and wouldn't let me move...though I was actually going to die and be sent way back. :|

Still have invisible enemy, no save, and real survivor but I might just do invisible/no save with the rocket and I'm not worried about real survivor after this run. Though I'm also not sure I have it in me to do anymore playthroughs for awhile.

A few music tracks in the game are inexplicably sped up and distorted. Here's a video comparing the remaster's version of one track to the original: Biohazard HD Remaster Music Glitch
However, there is a fan-made solution available (at least on PC). Someone repacked the original audio files to replace the new versions with, here: Fixed Background Music

Thank you, Fimbulvetr, for the heads-up!

If anyone else runs across any bugs/glitches/etc. that have fixes available and feel they should be added to the OT, please PM me and I will add them in as quickly as I possibly can. Thanks!

My advice for people trying to complete under 3 hours....memorizing where you need to go, and the fastest way to get there is key. I played through the game as Chris first, and my gametime was laughable because I hadn't played RE in so long, but once I was familiar with the layout of the mansion, my playthrough attempts as Jill were cake because I knew where everything was. Don't do what I did and attempt to beat under 3 hours and do your no save run though, that was what made me pull my hair out a few times, because of instant death traps like the rolling boulder, and Lisa pushing me off the edge.

Another thing though is knowing when to fight and when not to fight. If you know you're going through an area that you won't revisit often, do not worry about killing a zombie. If one's in your way, if you think there's an opening to get around it without attacking it, take it....if you absolutely must attack it to make it past, just do it enough to where it falls down, but don't worry about killing it. In some areas though you may want to kill some of the zombies, and burn their bodies if you think you'll be going through the areas frequently enough where it's faster to get rid of them than it is to avoid them.

I was able to spare time for weapons and ammo in my under 3 hour run on normal, and having the right gear can also help you shave time off your run. Getting the magnum and saving it for the end boss can be really useful I think, and make it go super quick. Also if you're strictly going for the under 3 hours, don't worry if you heal yourself often. If you get attacked by a zombie by just getting past it, and need to heal, just do it.

Sectus

New version of Door Skip mod released: www.tzarsectus.com/tools/rehd-nodoors.rar

Changes:
- Ladder bug fixed.
- Tool looks spiffier and it can now be run before the game is started.

New version of Fluffy Manager released: www.tzarsectus.com/tools/modmanager.rar

v1.64:
- Fixed ladder path not unlocking when using door skip.
- Change character whenever (this is not suspposed to be possible, so it can lead to some really weird game behaviour)
- Edit unlockables (this lets you freely turn off "One Dangerous Zombies" if you want to).
- Variant of door skip (plays sound but shows door briefly on screen).
- Minor bug fixes.

deeptech

I was with Jill but same shit happened ,
i couldn't forgive Barry XD

Next time i must , i just found out there's a door skip mod.. It's more appealing for a replay right now , gonna try the hard mode.

Shit they better do the same with Zero , these games are so damn good.

New version of Door Skip mod released: www.tzarsectus.com/tools/rehd-nodoors.rar

Changes:
- Ladder bug fixed.
- Tool looks spiffier and it can now be run before the game is started.

New version of Fluffy Manager released: www.tzarsectus.com/tools/modmanager.rar

v1.64:
- Fixed ladder path not unlocking when using door skip.
- Change character whenever (this is not suspposed to be possible, so it can lead to some really weird game behaviour)
- Edit unlockables (this lets you freely turn off "One Dangerous Zombies" if you want to).
- Variant of door skip (plays sound but shows door briefly on screen).
- Minor bug fixes.

Very cool. BTW, thank you for the door skip mod so much. It was great and atmospheric back in the day, but I really found the game more enjoyable without it. The door opening stuff just ruins the pacing of the game, and I'm so glad this mod existed for my later playthroughs.

Edit: Question... Since I've already beaten Normal under 3 hours, do I have any reason to worry about how long I take anymore? I'm trying out Real Survivor mode, and are there any achievements or unlockables related to time to completion or saving in regards to Real Survivor?

Cubed

So how the heck do I get the "Every nook and cranny" trophy?

I have played through the game three times and have gone everywhere that I can to complete every puzzle, gather every item, and just going off of memory from when I played the game on the GameCube. I have no idea what could be left.

I have even been in the closet using the closet key. I don't know what's left. The only thing I can think of is visiting every room in one playthrough.

In lighter news: I beat my knife-only run last night.

I have played through the game three times and have gone everywhere that I can to complete every puzzle, gather every item, and just going off of memory from when I played the game on the GameCube. I have no idea what could be left.

I have even been in the closet using the closet key. I don't know what's left. The only thing I can think of is visiting every room in one playthrough.

Did you get the
shotgun shells in the jail room? Depending on which character you're playing as either Chris or Jill is there and when you defeat the Tyrant for the first time then go up the elevator to escape you should do the MO disks thing then save the jailed character however, after going to them and triggering the cutscene get inside the room again so you can pick up the shotgun shells.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Whats up with this game, during gameplay everything is fine and dandy, but cutscenes have the worst audio sync issues ever.

And it shouldn't even be happening :(. With 60 FPS enabled cutscenes never dip below 40, but that causes desync obviously. But when I run the game at 30 the cutscenes run at 22 FPS for some reason.

Shauni

Had the same issue with my first playthrough. I visited every room, picked up all the ammo, even did one quick look through every map and every room was green. I'm hoping I get it on my second playthrough with Chris.

Whats up with this game, during gameplay everything is fine and dandy, but cutscenes have the worst audio sync issues ever.

And it shouldn't even be happening :(. With 60 FPS enabled cutscenes never dip below 40, but that causes desync obviously. But when I run the game at 30 the cutscenes run at 22 FPS for some reason.
I too have had the de-synced issue from the beginning... It hasn't bothered me much.

Despera

Banned
I can't change the resolution to anything other than 1024x768... there are no other options.

I tried changing the res in the ini file but when the game starts it automatically reverts back to 1024x768. Even making the ini read-only doesn't help.

Has this issue been discussed before?

Top Bottom