• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Well, finished my first playthrough (not actual first, but first for the HD remaster) with CQC FTW trophy. I'm starting another one with Jill now but with guns this time. I'll try to get everything on every map this cycle.

You can read the whole script here: http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

It was much better than what Anderson produced, and it was much more faithful to the events from the game, although there were a lot of changes (Chris the farmer, members of Bravo team surviving longer than in the game, Ada makes an appearance etc.) and a new character - Rosie Rodriguez; from the description, she was basically Rain from the Anderson's movie.

Here is the laser room scene i copied and pasted from Romero's script (Yes, it was Romero's idea) Anderson stuck it in his movie.

"There are ELECTRONIC HUMS.. CLICKS and CHATTERS emit from
the switchers, PINGS from the heaters, all combining to fray
everyone's nerves. Light beams dance nervously as the
commandos start out across the dark and frightening space.

CHRIS
(Softly to Jill) This is the heart
of the whole place. They've got to
have it... protected somehow.

Two things happen, almost at once. First.. .CHRIS notices
ELECTRIC EYES... on all of the columns.

CHRIS (cont.)
DUCK! HIT THE DECK!
Marini, staggering, screaming in pain, triggers the first
electric eye. LASER BEAMS shoot in all directions, forming
a tight NET. Chris and Jill are barely beneath them.
Many of the other troopers are hit by the beams... but wherever they make contact, small
CYLINDERS above the electric eyes begin to HISS.

CHRIS (cont.)
FOR CHRISSAKE, GET DOWN!

The commandos duck under the laser beams...

Marini is hit by it. His clothes IGNITE. His flesh BOILS.
It's a horrible sight.
Marini is dead on his feet. When he falls, he trips another
of the laser beams.
SULLIVAN
There's no way outta this mousetrap!

RODRIGUEZ
So we live here now?

SPEYER
We gotta run for it.

The zombie hits one of the laser beams.

Exodist

Did my Real Survival run today and managed 2:58 time. Wasn't going for a sub 3 hour run but it was nice to just barely get it when I wasn't anticipating it. Just invisible and no save runs to go and I'm done (no plat I'm on Steam, its just one of my favourite games so I wanted to clear all the modes).

cvxfreak

On my knife run, already at the shark tank. Going smoothly without any trouble at all (except the coffin Crimson Head but it wasn't too bad). I actually think I could clear this under 3 hours, but not on this run specifically.

Sorry if this was asked earlier, but do Defense Items disqualify you from achieving this run?

Here is the laser room scene i copied and pasted from Romero's script (Yes, it was Romero's idea) Anderson stuck it in his movie.

That's the only memorable scene from this entire boring movie. After seeing him rip off and copy multiple scenes from other movies (and he did a bad job at even copying some of them) and hearing him complain one time that the Wachowski brothers were hacks that ripped off GHOST IN THE SHELL to create The Matrix, he's more and more revealing himself to be just a total hack fraud. He's such a boring and uninspired ''director'' that kinda fell in the cracks of the system because he showed he could make something that looked kinda like a movie. What a bore.

Wow. That felt good. :D

Finished my invisible enemy run with Chris ^_^ Still got a few achievements to work on, the hardest I think is gonna be the knife only. I hate using the damn knife lol.

Would you guys recommend this to someone who loved 4, but only really played 4?

Didn't finish RE5 because the setting bored me, but I figured this would be a good game to play for level design/mechanics

I imagine it's not scary, but a good game is a good game, unless this it feels dated..

cvxfreak

I forgot that when replaying the game on Hard, the explosives zombie is running around even if you didn't select One Dangerous Zombie. -_-

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member

Didn't finish RE5 because the setting bored me, but I figured this would be a good game to play for level design/mechanics

I imagine it's not scary, but a good game is a good game, unless this it feels dated..

Its one of the best games ever! Buy it twice if you can ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lothar

Banned

It is scary but you have to do it right. You have to play it at night with all of your lights off on normal difficulty (mountain climbing setting) with the old controls. Make sure you do that last one.

If the setting of RE5 bored you, this game is certainly for you. This setting won't bore you.

And it's only $20 for one of the greatest games ever made.

Mr_Zombie

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Back it up. I've played this game since it launched on the GameCube and I never knew head stomping was a thing. How the hell do you head stomp?

If a lying zombie grabs your leg, your character will automatically stomp on it's head. Similar to what happens in the cut-scene when you unplug the bathroom on the first floor if you play as Jill (minus the throwing up reaction).

Bl@de

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Back it up. I've played this game since it launched on the GameCube and I never knew head stomping was a thing. How the hell do you head stomp?

Whaaaaaa? Head stomping is a thing since the original in 1998. Guess you never came close enough before^^

EDIT: Jill even kicked the head like a football.

televator

Lol, I guess always relying on the tactic of blowing off heads with the shotgun prevented me from seeing that. Definitely got up close with the zombies... They just never kept their heads on for long.

Kuraudo

Banned
i didn't read it at all, had he said:

that would make sense.

I chose one bad thing from GR's script and contrasted it with one bad thing from PWSA's film. If you want me to make a list of all the bad stuff in the script next time, I will :p

In the late 90s, Romero had only made Night, Dawn and Day, so there was a lot of hype over him making a RE film. But given that he was closer to making Land, Diary and Survival than those films, and given the terrible script, I've no doubt his RE would have been bad.

ShinAmano

Question. ..I unlocked the special pistol for sub five hour run...can I use this to try for sub three hours? Does it break cheevos? It is infinite ammo right?

KyleCross

Jesus fucking Christ, these Crimson fuckers wake up quick! I always thought it was a decent amount of time from what I've heard, but I swear I had two on me 20 mins after killing em. Nearly had a heartattack. I now get a cold sweat whenever I see a zombie laying on the ground.

Exodist

Jesus fucking Christ, these Crimson fuckers wake up quick! I always thought it was a decent amount of time from what I've heard, but I swear I had two on me 20 mins after killing em. Nearly had a heartattack. I now get a cold sweat whenever I see a zombie laying on the ground.

Varies per difficulty I believe, obviously harder being faster and so on. In the residence I killed that zombie in the ladder room, did the underground bit and when I came back he was ready and waiting. Kinda shit me up as I wasn't expecting it at all and I tried to go as fast as I could haha.

Manu

I don't think I can beat this game on normal. I ran through my first time with Jill on Easy (thought I picked the "normal" option) and am now going through it again with Chris on Normal this time and I've died way too much to the early zombies. I didn't realize in addition to more damage taken, they put way more zombies in rooms! The first save room with the item box has 3 zombies now! I dread continuing. I've lost at least 2 hours (had to start the game over twice). I think I'm just gonna run through on Easy and enjoy the game that way.

That's why I played with Chris on Normal first.

Then I played with Jill in Very Easy and just breezed through it.

Anung

Un Rama
Getting the plaitnumforthis game just shows how well this game holds up. I've replayed it like 8 times in one week and I loved every second of it. I kinda want to replay through zero. 2, 3 and CVX again. I'll wait for Zero HD though.

I don't think I can beat this game on normal. I ran through my first time with Jill on Easy (thought I picked the "normal" option) and am now going through it again with Chris on Normal this time and I've died way too much to the early zombies. I didn't realize in addition to more damage taken, they put way more zombies in rooms! The first save room with the item box has 3 zombies now! I dread continuing. I've lost at least 2 hours (had to start the game over twice). I think I'm just gonna run through on Easy and enjoy the game that way.

Don't give up. The very beginning of the game is by far the hardest part on normal. After you start clearing up the mansion a bit, you'll find that you have a wealth of handgun ammo and first aid kits

malfcn

I killed the prototype Crimson head. But I've missed any lore behind them in game. Is there any? Especially since the one appears in an early long hallway.

KorrZ

I know it's possible to complete this game in like an hour and a half but damn if I didn't spend about 2 hours just in the Residence last night!

Definitely taking some remembering after not having played this game for 10 years. Loving it though, I wish they still made games like this :(

malfcn

There is a file related to it, it's later in the game though. After a few CH encounters

I figured this, but forgot since my GCN days. Gives returning players a wtf moment with encounters, then explains it. Some of the shock value would be lost if you knew it was coming.

Lothar

Banned
What's best for a first playthrough? What character and what difficulty?

Jill and mountain climbing (normal) and old controls. Absolutely do not do it on easy. Normal isn't that difficult as long as you go into it with the mindset that you don't try to kill everything. Running is the first option. If a bunch of zombies show up in a room, run out as fast as possible and then take alternate routes. I'm almost through the game and I have several areas of the mansion that are just totally off limits. Some of them have multiple crimson heads. I just look on the map and try my best to avoid those rooms.

This is what you want. You don't want a walk in the park difficulty where you can just blast everything without thinking. You want it to feel like the mansion is dangerous and you're trying to survive it.

Sanke__

Should i be saving the grenade launcher for something?
Specific type of rounds for it i should save?
Or should i just kill crimson heads with it?

Lothar

Banned
Should i be saving the grenade launcher for something?
Specific type of rounds for it i should save?
Or should i just kill crimson heads with it?

Yeah, the shotgun is good for the crimson heads or just run. Grenade launcher is a little overboard. I saved that for more powerful enemies.

Yeah, the shotgun is good for the crimson heads or just run. Grenade launcher is a little overboard. I saved that for more powerful enemies.

The grenade launcher comes to great use in the second part of the game with
the hunters.
As well as the first boss battle,
Crimson Head Elder after putting the death masks in their place.

Astral

The grenade launcher comes to great use in the second part of the game with
the hunters.
As well as the first boss battle,
Crimson Head Elder after putting the death masks in their place.

Yawn is weak to acid rounds as well. Incendiary rounds are also pretty useful if you wanna kill zombies and guarantee no Crimson Heads but isn't necessary.

Plant 42 goes down with only three flame rounds (Aim upwards or you might miss.) and the huge spider boss goes down with two flame rounds. Other than that and Acid rounds for Yawn I mostly use it for Hunters and Chimeras. But you might as well waste everything on crimson heads as well, the grenade launcher in REmake isn't nearly as overpowered as in the original, it's barely stronger than the assault shotgun.

Plant 42 goes down with only three flame rounds (Aim upwards or you might miss.) and the huge spider boss goes down with two flame rounds. Other than that and Acid rounds for Yawn I mostly use it for Hunters and Chimeras. But you might as well waste everything on crimson heads as well, the grenade launcher in REmake isn't nearly as overpowered as in the original, it's barely stronger than the assault shotgun.

Black Tiger and Plant 42(If you're playing as jill) are entirely skipable bosses so that's great. Yup, it isn't that overpowered but it certainly is better than nothing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yawn is weak to acid rounds as well. Incendiary rounds are also pretty useful if you wanna kill zombies and guarantee no Crimson Heads but isn't necessary.

So is the Tyrant.

Hell .. I was pretty surprised the GL took down Tyrant quicker than the Magnum did. The Acid rounds our OP as fuck.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
B8fU_0rIAAEDJsq.jpg:large

Solid run right there. Still have to do my knife only run, what am I in for?

Think it's around half an hour on normal. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Certain events can wake them up instantly too.

Top Bottom