• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons Unveiled Edition |OT| "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!"

RangerBAD

The timing is different from enemy to enemy, so you just have to learn how to dodge him on the spot. I could dodge regular oozes almost always, and dodge the hunters sometimes, but that thing? only on accident.

Not even sure if I'm doing it right. It just happens.

Unai

For the poeple who are having problems with mouse, enable mouse acceleration. No, I'm not crazy. I think the ON/OFF switch is inverted. Mouse acceleration on is MUCH more precise in this game.

pa22word

For the poeple who are having problems with mouse, enable mouse acceleration. No, I'm not crazy. I think the ON/OFF switch is inverted. Mouse acceleration on is MUCH more precise in this game.

It's not inverted. For some reason the guys over at Tose thought that the users who wanted mouse acceleration gone wanted the opposite effect of the current implementation rather than it simply being reverted to raw input. "Mouse acceleration: On" in the game is positive acceleration, while "Mouse acceleration: off" is negative acceleration. Positive acceleration = the faster you swipe the faster your cursor moves, while negative acceleration = the faster you swipe the slower your cursor moves.

With it "on" you can feel the acceleration by by taking a piece of tape and sticking it to the far end of your mouse pad, placing your mouse in the center of the pad, and slowly dragging the mouse to the tape and back. Make a mental note of the distance traveled by your cursor in game. Now move your move back to the center of the mouse pad and very swiftly swipe your mouse to the tape's position. If you did this correctly the in game cursor will have moved +/- 2x the distance it did when you slowly drug the mouse to the end of the tape.

Now the problem with this is that it makes precision shot placement pretty much impossible as it forces you to try and guess how far your cursor will move when you attempt to place a shot very far from where your cursor currently resides. With raw input you can place your cursor anywhere you want, wherever you want, and most importantly: as fast as you want.

Miker

How is the PC port?

Mouse control is iffy with some acceleration issues, but playable, imo. The gamepad controls are mostly fine after the patches - it's still not perfect, but if I hadn't played the previous REs, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Controls aside, the port is pretty flawless in terms of performance. It looks clean as hell at high resolutions and should run at 60fps on lower-tier PCs. Just don't expect a very PC-like experience in the menus, though - lots of "this icon means saving data, don't turn shit off" and other console holdovers.

Finished the game on Normal. Tried Raid Mode with other players on PC but it seems barren... I hope it doesn't stay that way.

I'd be down to play shittons of Raid after I finish the campaign, but that might take a while with exams coming up :(

antitrop

It's not inverted. For some reason the guys over at Tose thought that the users who wanted mouse acceleration gone wanted the opposite effect of the current implementation rather than it simply being reverted to raw input.

How is this even possible? How can this happen?

My mind is exploding right now, I don't even

pa22word

How is this even possible?

I have no idea, but it is what it is. According to posts in this very thread that reference the guys over at Tose they plan on adjusting the current acceleration values but raw input is probably not going to happen. IIrc, they cite game balance and development costs as some of the reasons for refusing to implement raw input.

Controls aside, the port is pretty flawless in terms of performance.

I wouldn't say that. It's very optimized, but it hitches and stutters all the time.

pa22word

After a remake and 3 (or so) rereleases RE1 still doesn't have a canonical in game ending >.>

Miker said:
I get a stutter when I open a door for half a second, but that's it on my end.

I get a hitch down 10/15 FPS when the game streams new areas upon opening certain doors, but the game has microstuttering all over the place down 2/3/4 frames during gameplay.

Erebus said:
The PC version doesn't support resolutions above 1080p, huh? :-/

Yeah, it does. The highest I ran up to was 2560x1440 when I was playing around with the settings. The game has a weird bug for me though and forces 50 hz mode when using the resolution, so no downsampling for me =\

News Bot

Banned
After a remake and 3 (or so) rereleases RE1 still doesn't have a canonical in game ending >.>

The precise series of events in those games were intentionally ambiguous to allow for player freedom and multiple choice. Gameplay over story. Later games or supplemental material clarify what is "canon" and this approach also allows for there to be multiple types of sequel stories where events occur differently, such as the drama albums (where Sherry is chased by Umbrella and Ada quits the spy business to bone Leon).

L.O.R.D

Someone post a screen of Jessica in her Terragrigia outfit. <3

here you go
ops..wrong outfit

edit : i only found this
rev3.jpg

pa22word

The precise series of events in those games were intentionally ambiguous to allow for player freedom and multiple choice. Gameplay over story.

...what

Gameplay over story has nothing to do with the fact that there is no way to see a canonical ending to RE1 while playing it. It's just shitty storytelling.
Later games or supplemental material clarify what is "canon" and this approach also allows for there to be multiple types of sequel stories where events occur differently, such as the drama albums (where Sherry is chased by Umbrella and Ada quits the spy business to bone Leon).

Difference being we have an actual canon ending and sequence of events we can see while playing RE2. This doesn't exist in RE1

Jawmuncher

Oddly enough, i'm enjoying this a lot more on consoles than I did on 3DS.
Might have something to do with everything not feeling as cramped, due to the systems small screen size.

News Bot

Banned
...what

Gameplay over story has nothing to do with the fact that there is no way to see a canonical ending to RE1 while playing it. It's just shitty storytelling.

Difference being we have an actual canon ending and sequence of events we can see while playing RE2. This doesn't exist in RE1

No, it's precisely what I said. The events of BH1 were intentionally ambiguous. That is why you don't see a "canonical" ending and is the reason they didn't address it when they remade it... because it was never an issue. Gameplay trumping story has absolutely everything to do with it, because the exact reason for it was that they wanted a multiple ending and two-perspective layout to the scenario. That's game design. They were also unsure if a sequel would happen, so how exactly could there have been a canon at the time? It was left open for later writers to interpret.

There's no difference when you just reiterated precisely what I said. Later games/material clarify the canon. In your example, BH2 clarified BH1.

In regards to BH3, once again, its ending is clarified by later material. Barry saves Jill. On the subject of Nikolai, his fate is once again left ambiguous, but for a different reason: they decided early on that he would absolutely never appear again in a main series title (since BH3 was initially written as a non-canon gaiden, and this is the same reason Carlos has never appeared again).

Don't get me wrong, it annoys me too. And the writers are quite aware of it.

Speaking of changes, the game settings that I'm talking about right now are always changing and growing with each new game release. You can say that the "canon" would be what is expressed and explained in the latest games. I mean, have you noticed how Jill and Chris seem to have suddenly grown taller in BIO 5?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just played this for the first time on my brother in law's PS3

enjoyed the crap out of it, definitely gonna pick it up for either 360 or PC down the line

pa22word

No, it's precisely what I said. The events of BH1 were intentionally ambiguous. That is why you don't see a "canonical" ending and is the reason they didn't address it when they remade it... because it was never an issue. Gameplay trumping story has absolutely everything to do with it, because the exact reason for it was that they wanted a multiple ending and two-perspective layout to the scenario. That's game design.

Multiple endings and multiple perspectives have nothing to do with the fact that if a player wants to know the canon events of RE1 they have to read a wiki to understand that later games contradict both perspectives, leading to no true canon ending existing in the game, only a mix-and-match outcome combining events from both perspectives.

It has nothing to do with RE1, it's design philosophy, nor the ambiguity in the story. it has to do with Capcom very poorly handling the series plot over the course of the sequels. The remake not fixing the plot only reinforces Capcom's complete disregard for the overarching narrative in the series. It's just shitty storytelling, and nothing more. Hence your original post that indicating that they do indeed make sense is completely false, as the series overarching plot, as it's presented to the player in the games, has never made sense.

News Bot

Banned
It has nothing to do with RE1, it's design philosophy, nor the ambiguity in the story.

Says... who? You? I assume you've spoken with the writer, right? Do you have the game's original design documents? This is getting pretty tedious when you're actually half-right, but making things up on the other half. I wonder how BH2 being a mix of all four scenarios will go down for you.

Also anyone using a wiki for anything related to the series is selling themselves even shorter.

pa22word

Says... who? You? I assume you've spoken with the writer, right? Do you have the game's original design documents?

You're telling me when they wrote RE1 they intentionally set out to make a RE2 that in no way follows any specific series of events as shown in RE1, I assume just to fuck with the player?

Lol okay man, whatever you say.

The more simple, and logical assumption is that they botched the follow ups and didn't realize until later that they had dropped the ball on creating a consistent canon.

Also anyone using a wiki for anything related to the series is selling themselves even shorter.

On what? The series has no consistent internal canon, and never has. It has never, ever made sense unless you look at it in hindsight and make use some heavy speculation.

News Bot

Banned
You're telling me when they wrote RE1 they intentionally set out to make a RE2 that in no way follows any specific series of events as shown in RE1, I assume just to fuck with the player?

Lol okay man, whatever you say.

Not quite. They wrote BH1 to be played from two independent perspectives with room for multiple endings depending on the player's actions at certain points in the game (saving the partner character or not, mainly). The canon ending is a mixture of the "Good+" endings from both perspectives. It's not shown in the game, but is clarified by the sequel.

For the remake, they actively set out not to change much so that fans of the original wouldn't complain and they wouldn't unintentionally mess with the overarching plot. The scenario is largely untouched aside from minor alterations and additions.

BH2 itself is a mixture of all four scenarios in the game. The precise events are once again clarified in later material, with those not clarified left entirely to the player to decide on generally because they are unimportant. BH3 is even more focused on differences depending on what paths and decisions the player makes, and Survivor inherits that system to a very basic extent.

The more simple, and logical assumption is that they botched the follow ups and didn't realize until later that they had dropped the ball on creating a consistent canon.

You should probably stop trying to make those.

On what? The series has no consistent internal canon, and never has. It has never, ever made sense unless you look at it in hindsight and make use some heavy speculation.

The canon is absurdly consistent in contrast to how long the series has been running. So far the only example you've given is BH1. You would probably have an overarching point if you stuck to that game, but trying to juxtapose it over the entire series? Poor effort.

cvxfreak

I find it ironic that my most preferred play method for Revelations is the Wii U in GamePad-only mode. The game just feels more natural to me when played on a handheld, and the way the experience plays out reinforces that.

Makes me wish they'd make a Vita version of Unveiled Edition that retains the handheld factor.

Neiteio

Well, based on where you've posted I never really thought that.
What's funny is I can never remember the character's name. It's Quint, right? I always get Keith and Quint mixed up, even though I'm probably in the minority when I say I really liked their characters and the comedy they brought to the game. :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll take this moment to say I liked Keith and Quint. I know they get mixed reception, but I thought they were amusing, very B-esque characters. I view the RE series as a homage to B-horror movies, and Revelations filled this one to the brim with references and nods to seafaring horror movies. I marathoned several before playing the game and instantly recognized what they were going for, and was quite happy with the RE universe's take on the laid-back black dude and super hacker character tropes.

News Bot

Banned
I'll take this moment to say I liked Keith and Quinn. I know they get mixed reception, but I thought they were amusing, very B-esque characters. I view the RE series as a homage to B-horror movies, and Revelations filled this one to the brim with references and nods to seafaring horror movies. I marathoned several before playing the game and instantly recognized what they were going for, and was quite happy with the RE universe's take on the laid-back black dude and super hacker character tropes.

They'd be much better if it weren't only for Quint's voice.

Neiteio

I'll take this moment to say I liked Keith and Quint. I know they get mixed reception, but I thought they were amusing, very B-esque characters. I view the RE series as a homage to B-horror movies, and Revelations filled this one to the brim with references and nods to seafaring horror movies. I marathoned several before playing the game and instantly recognized what they were going for, and was quite happy with the RE universe's take on the laid-back black dude and super hacker character tropes.
Wow, you posted the same sentiment as me at the very same minute, lol.

I hope we see Parker, Jessica, Raymond, Keith and Quint again in future RE games.

Given the post-credits cliffhanger in this game, an RER2 would be nice!!

They'd be much better if it weren't only for Quint's voice.
His voice is the best part! :p

News Bot

Banned

Would be a nice way of explaining what happened to TRICELL, since they are the behind-the-scenes catalyst for everything in Revelations.

Haha, I remember seeing him for the first time in one of the trailers and thinking "hah, bald dude, clearly going to be gruff as fuck." Gee was I surprised.

RangerBAD

Wow, you posted the same sentiment as me at the very same minute, lol.

I hope we see Parker, Jessica, Raymond, Keith and Quint again in future RE games.

Wonder if
Jessica and Raymond
worked for Wesker.

pa22word

Not quite. They wrote BH1 to be played from two independent perspectives with room for multiple endings depending on the player's actions at certain points in the game (saving the partner character or not, mainly). The canon ending is a mixture of the "Good+" endings from both perspectives. It's not shown in the game, but is clarified by the sequel.

Yet can not be seen by the player, and is not fully clarified to the player until RE3.

For the remake, they actively set out not to change much so that fans of the original wouldn't complain and they wouldn't unintentionally mess with the overarching plot. The scenario is largely untouched aside from minor alterations and additions.

Which would be admirable, if they hadn't already put out two sequels that directly contradict the events as show in the game.

The precise events are once again clarified in later material, with those not clarified left entirely to the player to decide on generally because they are unimportant. BH3 is even more focused on differences depending on what paths and decisions the player makes, and Survivor inherits that system to a very basic extent.

This is what we call a "cop out". Instead of creating a consistent canon in the series, they dropped the ball and later tried to write their way out of it with retcons in the sequels. It's extremely lazy storytelling.
You should probably stop trying to make those.

In regards to this series? Yeah I probably should, considering how asinine, completely stupid and overwrought the core plot has become.

The canon is absurdly consistent in contrast to how long the series has been running. So far the only example you've given is BH1. You would probably have an overarching point if you stuck to that game, but trying to juxtapose it over the entire series? Poor effort.

The point was that your claim that all the games in the series make sense is incorrect, and I'd say by pointing out that there still, after 15+ years and several rereleases there still isn't a canon ending to be seen in the original outing in the series I'd say I my point is quite apt.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wait, someone is actually defending the RE storyline? it's a great series for a lot of reasons, but the story was never one of them.

Taruranto

lol, good luck trying to reason with News Bot about RE story. He's genuinely convinced RE story makes sense and and whatnot.

Anyway, i'm getting the on PC later, i almost forgot it came out. Hopefully it will live up to the hype, though i remember watching some youtube video and thinking it looked pretty dull.

News Bot

Banned
Yet can not be seen by the player, and is not fully clarified to the player until RE3.

Which would be admirable, if they hadn't already put out two sequels that directly contradict the events as show in the game.

This is what we call a "cop out". Instead of creating a consistent canon in the series, they dropped the ball and later tried to write their way out of it with retcons in the sequels. It's extremely lazy storytelling.

In regards to this series? Yeah I probably should, considering how asinine, completely stupid and overwrought the core plot is.

The point was that your claim that all the games in the series make sense is incorrect, and I'd say by pointing out that there still, after 15+ years and several rereleases there still isn't a canon ending to be seen in the original outing in the series I'd say I made that argument quite well.

It's fully clarified in BH2, actually.

BH1's events aren't contradicted when the intention was that both perspectives were to be combined to form the "canon." Both sides are shown separately and the player is meant to connect them. There's no convergence because then the player's freedom within the game goes out the window (along with replay value).

Look at that, no examples apart from the first game. And you're talking about cop-outs? Come on son. It's really not hard to find complaints with this series and you can only offer up one?

In regards to anything, because you don't seem to be relying on anything but conjecture.

You see, you'd have a fine point... if you attempted to present one. Your reasoning is that one minor footnote you can't wrap your head around = completely nonsensical 15+ year storyline. Can you see the problem with that logic yet?

lol, good luck trying to reason with News Bot about RE story. He's genuinely convinced RE story makes sense and and whatnot.

Actually there's quite a lot I take issue with. The majority is fine, though.

iMerc

bought the game on both 360 and wiiu (already own the 3ds version).

After playing on both, have decided to stick with the wiiU version.
They're both pretty much identical, except i'm really enjoying the miiverse integration in this. especially in raid mode.

loving some of the drawings other users are making while i'm wasting zombie ass. lol.

i have to say, all the complaints and hooliganism about these console ports are once again blown out of proportion by internet msg board gamers.
did not experience any slowdown or technical issues with my playthrough on both versions.

very competent port.
still love the 3ds version the most though.

pa22word

...no it's not. They gave you the rough gist of the canon ending, but you have no way to make sense of that given the context of the events of the first game. It isn't until RE3 do we see everything come full circle. Things only get even more weird and confusing by the time RE5 comes out and basically forms it's story based around the assumption that the Chris perspective is the "most" canon in an attempt to personalize the feud between Chris and Wesker.

BH1's events aren't contradicted when the intention was that both perspectives were to be combined to form the "canon." Both sides are shown separately and the player is meant to connect them. There's no convergence because then the player's freedom within the game goes out the window (along with replay value).

Except there's no way to connect them when they're nearly exactly the same with small variances revolving around side characters.

And how in the hell would replay value be harmed if they decided to take a single ending as canon in RE2? Do people not play Leon A first anymore simply because it's not canon?

Look at that, no examples apart from the first game. And you're talking about cop-outs? Come on son. It's really not hard to find complaints with this series and you can only offer up one?

Disregarding the fact that that has nothing to do with what I said: we're only talking about RE1 here. Quit trying to change the argument by making it about the entire series, please.

You see, you'd have a fine point... if you attempted to present one. Your reasoning is that one minor footnote you can't wrap your head around = completely nonsensical 15+ year storyline. Can you see the problem with that logic yet?

No I'm stating that your opinion that the entire series makes sense is laughable considering the series has been tripping over itself in presenting its overarching plot all the way back to when the tried to write a sequel to RE1.

News Bot

Banned
...no it's not. They gave you the rough gist of the canon ending, but you have no way to make sense of that given the context of the events of the first game. It isn't until RE3 do we see everything come full circle. Things only get even more weird and confusing by the time RE5 comes out and basically forms it's story based around the assumption that the Chris perspective is the "most" canon in an attempt to personalize the feud between Chris and Wesker.

Except there's no way to connect them when they're nearly exactly the same with small variances revolving around side characters.

And how in the hell would replay value be harmed if they decided to take a single ending as canon in RE2? Do people not play Leon A first anymore simply because it's not canon?

Disregarding the fact that that has nothing to do with what I said: we're only talking about RE1 here. Quit trying to change the argument by making it about the entire series, please.

No I'm stating that your opinion that the entire series makes sense is laughable considering the series has been tripping over itself in presenting its overarching plot all the way back to when the tried to write a sequel to RE1.

How do you "make sense of the context" solely with BH3, then? Beginning to clutch at straws a bit here. BH5 doesn't do anything at all. Chris encounters Wesker again in CODE:Veronica and has a little more reason to hate him than Jill for putting his sister in danger. But they could just as easily as had Jill as the main character in BH5 and nothing would substantially change. Nothing weird or confusing at all. More straw clutching.

There isn't that much variance. You save Rebecca/trust Barry and release the other main character. Canon-wise, neither main character is locked up. Apart from that, it plays out similar to BH2, only with two scenarios instead of four.

Which ending are you referring to? BH1 or BH2? If the former, it's clarified in BH2. If the latter, it's Claire A (solely because her "I have to find my brother" was the originally intended finalé line and leads directly into CV). Leon A is just as canon as the other scenarios. Again, the game is a mixture of events from all four.

If it's been tripping over itself... why can you only provide one example despite being requested to provide more to better illustrate your point? I'm the one who apparently "can't be reasoned with" and yet I can provide more problems with the series than you can. I'm not changing the argument. You said the entire series, so I assumed that's what the argument was about.

Top Bottom