• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons Unveiled Edition |OT| "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!"

alf717

Just finished this on the Wii U. Is the final boss suppose to be so tough? Sheesh. Really enjoyed the game a lot. I didn't expect much but this is a really good RE game.

Jawmuncher

I find it ironic that my most preferred play method for Revelations is the Wii U in GamePad-only mode. The game just feels more natural to me when played on a handheld, and the way the experience plays out reinforces that.

Makes me wish they'd make a Vita version of Unveiled Edition that retains the handheld factor.

You and me both.
It just seemed like a no brainer. Even now if they decide to do it later on, i'll be there day 1.
Since it would easily be the best version sans PC.

Just finished this on the Wii U. Is the final boss suppose to be so tough? Sheesh. Really enjoyed the game a lot. I didn't expect much but this is a really good RE game.

Yeah dude's a pain in the ass way more than he should be.
Though oddly he reminds me of the final boss in gun Survivor.

In regards to BH3, once again, its ending is clarified by later material. Barry saves Jill. On the subject of Nikolai, his fate is once again left ambiguous, but for a different reason: they decided early on that he would absolutely never appear again in a main series title (since BH3 was initially written as a non-canon gaiden, and this is the same reason Carlos has never appeared again).

It kills me that my favorite RE title is treated as such. Even if it was the plan, it deserves more than that.
Hell I stand by that it's better than CVX even if that is the real 3. Though obviously importance on the canon I can't change.

Anyone having trouble with playing Raid Mode online (PS3)?

Everything was fine until a couple of days ago, when I entered the game, I was prompted to download free "New Catalog Data" from the PS Store, otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect the game to PSN. So I did as told, return to the game, it checks for downloadable content, then ask me to download the "New Catalog Data" again, and it keeps on repeating no matter how many times I downloaded and installed them. If I choose not to download them, the game would disconnect from PSN and I can't play Raid Mode in multiplayer.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OOCDZnDIno - Montage showing all melees, characters and costumes. Obvious spoiler warning for this video.

I've been recording my playthrough of the game at Infernal difficulty with a clean save (meaning no new game+), I've completed up to episode 6 but only uploaded up to episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBg1L0-QPs

I have to say, playing like this on infernal has made the game much more enjoyable for me. I actually think more about how to navigate through the ship and how to prepare for certain combat scenarios.

The PC version doesn't support resolutions above 1080p, huh? :-/

There was a bug/oversight where the game had some missing resolutions, but it should have be fixed in a patch now.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is it possible to change field of view on pc ?

Miker

Can you dodge while aiming? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about dodge just being bound to up or down on the analog stick. I think I would've preferred holding B and pressing up/down on the stick.

Can you dodge while aiming? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about dodge just being bound to up or down on the analog stick. I think I would've preferred holding B and pressing up/down on the stick.

I don't think so? You can certainly dodge while reloading though.

And you can kind of do that, there are two dodge types. One is just tapping up on the stick, the other is tapping back and X/A which will have you dodge and turn around the other way instead of running forward.

And I find resienet a lot of fun, think it's kind of cool logging in and seeing my stats. Wish it was universal though, I've put quite a bit of time into the PS3 version of resie6 so to start over on the PC is annoying. Especially for some of the trickier costumes.

I think you can. :p But I'm not 100% certain.

Money-Bet-on-Super-Bowl-300x289.jpg

Put it down :p

I certainly never used it, if they got close enough to where I couldn't stagger or quickly let go to dodge then I tended to be screwed anyway :D

Miker

I don't think so? You can certainly dodge while reloading though.

And you can kind of do that, there are two dodge types. One is just tapping up on the stick, the other is tapping back and X/A which will have you dodge and turn around the other way instead of running forward.

And I find resienet a lot of fun, think it's kind of cool logging in and seeing my stats. Wish it was universal though, I've put quite a bit of time into the PS3 version of resie6 so to start over on the PC is annoying. Especially for some of the trickier costumes.

Huh. I think I've tried that before, but I just do an about-face :-/

Huh. I think I've tried that before, but I just do an about-face :-/

It's the quickturn combination, if you do it while an enemy is attacking however then you do the dodge I described. It can be a bit tough to pull off, I use the forward dodge 90% of the time.

The loadings whenever you enter or leave the hall are annoying.
Finished episode 4 and my opinion on the game keeps getting better.
These guys just need a smaller budget so they can focus on what matters in a RE game instead of big ass explosions.
Story is so ridiculous even by RE standards lol.

I can't believe the thread title is an actual quote from the game, I thought it was a parody.

Revelations has some of the worst lines and characters in the entire series. Keith and Quint ARE the absolute worst characters in the entire series. So awful, so annoying.

And the story is nonsensical.
O Brian's plan is absurd, the three ships poorly explained(wait, I thought Chris was here?!?!) and so on and so forth

Resident Evil 6's story is a masterpiece by comparison. It at the least has some enjoyable characters and cool uses of perspective.

GrayFoxPL

Put quite a lot of time in Raid today. Very fun, the weapon upgrade system is brilliant and I hope it'll make it to the next games.

Shame I have to unlock levels in campaign. When playing as Jill the campaign feels solid enough but when the game switches to others it seems like a shitty filler, even Chris feels like a minor secondary character. So far only Jill can upgrade weapons so it really seems that everyone that isn't her just acts as filler.

I hate every introduced character besides Jill, and even she is the worst version of herself. What a shitty cast. Conan O'Brien makes me laugh though. XD

Please Raid Mode and Revelations weapon upgrades in RE7!

Miker

It's the quickturn combination, if you do it while an enemy is attacking however then you do the dodge I described. It can be a bit tough to pull off, I use the forward dodge 90% of the time.

Hmm I'll have to try it later. The dodge timing is kind of weird in general.

Unai

It's not inverted. For some reason the guys over at Tose thought that the users who wanted mouse acceleration gone wanted the opposite effect of the current implementation rather than it simply being reverted to raw input. "Mouse acceleration: On" in the game is positive acceleration, while "Mouse acceleration: off" is negative acceleration. Positive acceleration = the faster you swipe the faster your cursor moves, while negative acceleration = the faster you swipe the slower your cursor moves.

With it "on" you can feel the acceleration by by taking a piece of tape and sticking it to the far end of your mouse pad, placing your mouse in the center of the pad, and slowly dragging the mouse to the tape and back. Make a mental note of the distance traveled by your cursor in game. Now move your move back to the center of the mouse pad and very swiftly swipe your mouse to the tape's position. If you did this correctly the in game cursor will have moved +/- 2x the distance it did when you slowly drug the mouse to the end of the tape.

Now the problem with this is that it makes precision shot placement pretty much impossible as it forces you to try and guess how far your cursor will move when you attempt to place a shot very far from where your cursor currently resides. With raw input you can place your cursor anywhere you want, wherever you want, and most importantly: as fast as you want.

Are you sure you downloaded the latest patch? In the demo, it was impossible to draw a circle with the aim in the window in the door right in front where you start until the second patch came out. Right now, it is still impossible with mouse acceleration OFF, but it works just fine with if ON. This also seems to be the consensus in the Steam forum.

Yeah, it is a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it and be able to pull it off without failure by the end of the game.

Playing this on the PS3 after spending so much time with Resie 6 made me miss the latter's movement mechanics. Still, being able to move and shoot with the Resie 4/5 speed is nice. And honestly I think it controls better than the 3DS version, although I wish it had move support.

Ending spoilers
Parker surviving multiple explosions and fake deaths is still hilarious. And them showing at the very end that Quint and Keith survived as if it is a happy moment was the worst. No one wanted that ;-;

GrayFoxPL

Yeah you can. 100% sure.

Yeah it's bizzaro.

Yeah, it is a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it and be able to pull it off without failure by the end of the game.

Playing this on the PS3 after spending so much time with Resie 6 made me miss the latter's movement mechanics. Still, being able to move and shoot with the Resie 4/5 speed is nice. And honestly I think it controls better than the 3DS version, although I wish it had move support.

Ending spoilers
Parker surviving multiple explosions and fake deaths is still hilarious. And them showing at the very end that Quint and Keith survived as if it is a happy moment was the worst. No one wanted that ;-;

RE6 has the best movement and options in the series. Aiming is also much more precise then in Revelations.

cvxfreak

The localization of Revelations is absolutely horrendous, which explains a lot of the weird lines. That intentional "funny" lines are just the icing on the cake.

Put quite a lot of time in Raid today. Very fun, the weapon upgrade system is brilliant and I hope it'll make it to the next games.

Shame I have to unlock levels in campaign. When playing as Jill the campaign feels solid enough but when the game switches to others it seems like a shitty filler, even Chris feels like a minor secondary character. So far only Jill can upgrade weapons so it really seems that everyone that isn't her just acts as filler.

I hate every introduced character besides Jill, and even she is the worst version of herself. What a shitty cast. Conan O'Brien makes me laugh though. XD

Please Raid Mode and Revelations weapon upgrades in RE7!

Revelations is a weird game, even by RE standards. Jill is the playable character 90% of the time, yet this game has little to do with her as an actual character.

Only if you're a fan of the older RE games imo.

I don't agree with that at all, it plays nothing like the older games and doesn't have any real puzzles either. It's more tense than 5 and certainly more aesthetically similar to the older games than 4 but it's very much an action game. There are many situations where you're forced to just clear enemy spawns.

I think it's worth 50 dollars though. Campaign is around 8 hours long with a decent amount of re-playability due to Infernal mode's new placements. Raid mode is where it's at though, and makes the package worth the price. I've put around 30 hours into it on the 3DS and play to do so on the PS3 version as well.

Just keep in mind the PC version will likely drop in price within a month or two.

RE6 has the best movement and options in the series. Aiming is also much more precise then in Revelations.
I agree in case it came off as the opposite.

pa22word

Are you sure you downloaded the latest patch? In the demo, it was impossible to draw a circle with the aim in the window in the door right in front where you start until the second patch came out. Right now, it is still impossible with mouse acceleration OFF, but it works just fine with if ON. This also seems to be the consensus in the Steam forum.

Yes, I'm sure. Do what I told you in game and you will get the same results I did. With mouse acceleration ON the faster you move your mouse the faster your cursor moves. That is mouse acceleration by definition.

Also people on steam forums generally don't know what the hell they are talking about. They conflate the new aiming feeling better than the old implementation with mouse acceleration being removed, when that is absolutely not the case (Tose themselves confirmed that the game still does not feature raw input ffs).

News Bot

Banned
Revelations has some of the worst lines and characters in the entire series. Keith and Quint ARE the absolute worst characters in the entire series. So awful, so annoying.

And the story is nonsensical.
O Brian's plan is absurd, the three ships poorly explained(wait, I thought Chris was here?!?!) and so on and so forth

Resident Evil 6's story is a masterpiece by comparison. It at the least has some enjoyable characters and cool uses of perspective.

Most dialogue in the series is a result of piss-poor localization more than anything. The actual writing for the dialogue itself (on most games at least) is pretty standard.

The story in REV had pretty high potential, but there's a lot that is just too stupid.
I don't think they ever explained why virus and monster infested ships were just left to float at sea. Why didn't Lansdale wipe them out straight away? Why do Jessica and Raymond actively try to shoot the shit out of each other even when they're working together? And just who were the fake Veltro goons at the airport, copy-cat terrorist wannabes?

The pointlessly happy ending was cringe-worthy. It should've been "tragic" at best. O'Brian should've been arrested. Quint and Keith should've been blown to bits. Parker should've been burned alive. The only aspect of any of that remaining was t-Abyss being recovered by two corporate spies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
after RE5 Jill mod, REmake Jill is coming

xRyPieP.jpg

they are also working on her alternative costume(tube top and miniskirt) from REmake

I don't agree with that at all, it plays nothing like the older games and doesn't have any real puzzles either. It's more tense than 5 and certainly more aesthetically similar to the older games than 4 but it's very much an action game. There are many situations where you're forced to just clear enemy spawns.

I think it's worth 50 dollars though. Campaign is around 8 hours long with a decent amount of re-playability due to Infernal mode's new placements. Raid mode is where it's at though, and makes the package worth the price. I've put around 30 hours into it on the 3DS and play to do so on the PS3 version as well.

Just keep in mind the PC version will likely drop in price within a month or two.

I agree in case it came off as the opposite.

If he just wants an action game and the nostalgia factor that permeates this game is irrelevant to him, I can't really recomend it over other recent games that can be bought at a fraction of the price like dead space 3 or tomb raider. That's my point.
For me it's worth it but I know I'm biased.

Most dialogue in the series is a result of piss-poor localization more than anything. The actual writing for the dialogue itself (on most games at least) is pretty standard.

I've heard this before but being so used to the english translations it's hard to believe :D Resident Evil 6 was honestly the first game in the series that didn't make me cringe every 5 seconds.

The one hilarious plot contrivance you didn't mention:
When Raymond is asked by Jessica why he saved Parker "I have my reasons" Such a wonderful way to get out of bothering to actually make sense!

Edit: Did RE5 LiN Jill really look like that? Haven't played Lost in Nightmares in forever. She really suffered the worst from the orignal cast transformations. Remake Jill is the best.

Neiteio

To address the story points:
Raymond felt like he owed Parker since Parker saved his life
, and
Raymond and Jessica had no doubt planned their "shootouts" so it'd be convincing -- they wanted people to think they were on opposite sides when they were in fact together playing both.
Also,
weren't the ships left at sea for ongoing research
? The only bit I don't understand offhand is the
terrorists at the airport
, but I swear this plot made perfect sense to me back when I originally completed it on the 3DS, lol.

To address the story points:
Raymond felt like he owed Parker since Parker saved his life
, and
Raymond and Jessica had no doubt planned their "shootouts" so it'd be convincing -- they wanted people to think they were on opposite sides when they were in fact together playing both.
Also,
weren't the ships left at sea for ongoing research
? The only bit I don't understand offhand is the
terrorists at the airport
, but I swear this plot made perfect sense to me back when I originally completed it on the 3DS, lol.

You're totally right about the Parker/Raymond bit. That is quite obvious looking back, my hate of other plot elements and Raymond's scowling impeded my common sense :3

Was just at gamestop as they said they had Resie Archives for the Wii. It didn't have the orignal art, just the nasty gamestop pre-order box :/ Kind of a bummer, still tempted to get it later. Is it possible to print off a comparable in quality cover? Then again I have the gamecube version which is the exact same I think, so I doubt I will. Wii version would only be useful for the collection aspect.

pa22word

Edit: Did RE5 LiN Jill really look like that? Haven't played Lost in Nightmares in forever. She really suffered the worst from the orignal cast transformations. Remake Jill is the best.

The discrepancy you're perceiving is most likely the result of RE5 Jill's texture being mapped on REv Jill's geometry.

News Bot

Banned
I've heard this before but being so used to the english translations it's hard to believe :D Resident Evil 6 was honestly the first game in the series that didn't make me cringe every 5 seconds.

The one hilarious plot contrivance you didn't mention:
When Raymond is asked by Jessica why he saved Parker "I have my reasons" Such a wonderful way to get out of bothering to actually make sense!

The files in the series probably suffer the most from the botched translations honestly. The dialogue is hit-or-miss (and there are some cases where it's otherwise translated very well apart from niggling mistakes that affect the plot) but the files are pretty much guaranteed to be nonsense in the English versions. REV itself is a prime example. How on earth do you get "Wildlife Protection Committee" from the fucking National Security Council?

And yeah, rolled my eyes at that part. Ruined an otherwise great scene.

pa22word

So how demanding is the PC version of this game? I've got an i5-3570k and an HD 7950.

You'll probably max it @ 120 FPS on 1920x1080. I run forced 4x SSAA on my 5870 and get a locked 60 outside of the occasional stuttering that bogs the game down when streaming in assets.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How hard is the game? I'm fucking awful at RE games, and I'm just tempted to play on Casual. How hard is the game in comparison to say...RE4?

How hard is the game? I'm fucking awful at RE games, and I'm just tempted to play on Casual. How hard is the game in comparison to say...RE4?

Normal is the way to go, outside of the final boss I didn't have any trouble. There are some annoying one hit kill enemies but those are the same no matter what difficulty you play on I imagine.

Revelations has a dodge so it's already much easier than 4. At the same time enemies don't stop to smell you before attacking like they do in 4.

Top Bottom