• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Snipes424

snack said:
Come on Jay, please give us an update on what is going on? Should we be looking for it this week or not? I have been waiting patiently since "Late September", I need my R2 fix!

If he gives you a date, and then they miss it, you are going to be pissed. To launch this beta, it isn't just pressing a button to make it go live. There are other parties involved such as the Sony support team, the people in charge of sending out the codes, and the PSN servers team.

Enojado

Man, I was really hoping the beta would be out today. I don't pretend to understand how much work it takes to get a public beta out the door, but I have to say I'm disappointed we haven't seen it yet. At this point I think a concrete answer as to what is going on or when we can expect the beta would be appreciated.

Sigh, anyway, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I just want me some R2 beta goodness to fill in the gap before its release.

Guled

Fersis said:
I dont mean Feedback like : 'Oh plz ,the shotgunz is broken,plz fix it'
i mean more technical feedback like server stuff and balance of the reward points.
that stuff is dealt on their side of things so it can be fixed before it comes out

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Guled said:
that stuff is dealt on their side of things so it can be fixed before it comes out
Nice then, thank you good sir.
And now you can punch me on the face for thinking in doubting on Insomniac,
Trow your best shot ... >_<:D

Snipes424 said:
If he gives you a date, and then they miss it, you are going to be pissed. To launch this beta, it isn't just pressing a button to make it go live. There are other parties involved such as the Sony support team, the people in charge of sending out the codes, and the PSN servers team.
I completely understand that it isn't an easy process. But we are all waiting around until an undefined time. I rather them give me a release window, or at least tell us what is going on that is holding things up and just keep us updated. If he could come on and say that they are having a problem with *insert problem* and it won't be out for at least another *insert days*, and just keep getting back to us with an update on the situation.

I hate this constant "soon" bullshit we hear from every god damn gaming company.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
snack said:
I completely understand that it isn't an easy process. But we are all waiting around until an undefined time. I rather them give me a release window, or at least tell us what is going on that is holding things up and just keep us updated. If he could come on and say that they are having a problem with *insert problem* and it won't be out for at least another *insert days*, and just keep getting back to us with an update on the situation.

I hate this constant "soon" bullshit we hear from every god damn gaming company.
OK, good sir we talking about Insomniac here !! Its not a 'damn gamin company' ... is a factory of dreams !!! :D

Fersis said:
OK, good sir we talking about Insomniac here !! Its not a 'damn gamin company' ... is a factory of dreams !!! :D
I'm just speaking about this industry in general, with this situation being an example. Every fucking studio always answers with some obnoxious vague response to everything. It's like they are working on some top-secret CIA project. I understand that they have PR schedules and certain times to "reveal" things, but it has just gotten to be absurd.

For example, not related to Resistance 2, when Bungie was asked about what the gameplay for Halo 3: Recon was like, they refused to go into detail other than that it was a first-person shooter and feels similar to Halo 3 with "unique gameplay twists". WHAT THE FUCK! YOU ANNOUNCE A FUCKING GAME AND YOU WON'T EVEN TELL ME ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY FEATURED IN THE GAME!

The industry's secrecy is really getting on my nerves.

Insomniac's a really bad example to use with that complaint. I think we should feel pretty grateful for how in touch James is with us and all their fans.

Fersis

snack said:
I'm just speaking about this industry in general, with this situation being an example. Every fucking studio always answers with some obnoxious vague response to everything. It's like they are working on some top-secret CIA project. I understand that they have PR schedules and certain times to "reveal" things, but it has just gotten to be absurd.

For example, not related to Resistance 2, when Bungie was asked about what the gameplay for Halo 3: Recon was like, they refused to go into detail other than that it was a first-person shooter and feels similar to Halo 3 with "unique gameplay twists". WHAT THE FUCK! YOU ANNOUNCE A FUCKING GAME AND YOU WON'T EVEN TELL ME ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY FEATURED IN THE GAME!

The industry's secrecy is really getting on my nerves.
Is that today ,the developer cant say too much, is the publisher responsability ...
Yeah i know, is little cumbersome.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If I knew 100% when it would be out, I'd tell you. It's such a big process it's hard to predict until you are right at the end. One unforeseen item can push you a day or two on something like this.

Last week I might've been 90% sure of a day, but if I told you that, you'd be pissed if it didn't come out.

Why has it taken this long? We were working on finishing the game - in addition, we planned a day one patch for MP to continue to polish things up so the team is working on that and the beta concurrently - and we'll use some data from the public beta for the final tuning as well.

And finally --- you have all sorts of other issues to work out like coordination with Europe, making sure the beta client gets through format QA. Then you have key people in Japan at TGS etc. It's pretty involved.

Fersis

jstevenson said:
If I knew 100% when it would be out, I'd tell you. It's such a big process it's hard to predict until you are right at the end. One unforeseen item can push you a day or two on something like this.

Last week I might've been 90% sure of a day, but if I told you that, you'd be pissed if it didn't come out.

Why has it taken this long? We were working on finishing the game - in addition, we planned a day one patch for MP to continue to polish things up so the team is working on that and the beta concurrently - and we'll use some data from the public beta for the final tuning as well.

And finally --- you have all sorts of other issues to work out like coordination with Europe, making sure the beta client gets through format QA. Then you have key people in Japan at TGS etc. It's pretty involved.
So BETA Clients also have a strict QA by SCEA ?
Didnt know that :(

SumGamer

jstevenson, I totally understand what you are saying. I also understand the reason about the beta release date kept hidden. I think you did the right thing.

But Sony, on the other hand, make things worse by putting it as exclusive content in Qore two months ago and specificly telling us to expect the beta to be release in late September.
Then later the push back to early October. This really worsen the wait. It give us the feeling that, if you can't keep your promise then STFU.

Anyway, I've lost hope of the beta now. I don't even understand what's the point of Beta when you can get the full game in about a month. What we are getting is a demo not a beta. A beta will help some people appreciate the work of the developers when they fix things up fine tuning the game and helping them spot those error while in a beta, right?
Maybe it's just me I don't know, I'll pick this up day one anyway. I'deven trade my R2 beta code for KZ2 now :lol

Llyranor

The beta will be pretty important for me, actually. My interest in the game resides mainly in the co-op, so I plan on playing that extensively enough to figure out whether I'll be shelling out for the full game or not.

patsu

Who's trying to rush my Insomniac ? ^_^

Give them a break. I'd rather have a late beta than a failed beta. Go play something else in the mean time.

SumGamer said:
Anyway, I've lost hope of the beta now. I don't even understand what's the point of Beta when you can get the full game in about a month. What we are getting is a demo not a beta. A beta will help some people appreciate the work of the developers when they fix things up fine tuning the game and helping them spot those error while in a beta, right?
Maybe it's just me I don't know, I'll pick this up day one anyway. I'deven trade my R2 beta code for KZ2 now :lol

The game isn't set in stone once it ships. Even if it's only a week or two before release that we get to play the beta, that's that many days earlier players can get their hands on the game and give some feedback to the guys, and I'd assume it may help to get those first few patches out that much earlier.

mittelos

In an effort to please the Insomniac gods, I am presenting a sacrificial offering by taking Tools of Destruction off my pile of shame (starting last night). I hope that this offering pleases the gods, such that beta codes fall from the heavens. That is all.

PS: ToD is awesome! Why have I not played this already?

SumGamer

Pai Pai Master said:
The game isn't set in stone once it ships. Even if it's only a week or two before release that we get to play the beta, that's that many days earlier players can get their hands on the game and give some feedback to the guys, and I'd assume it may help to get those first few patches out that much earlier.

Kinda make sense, but with this close to release wouldn't it be better to just wait for the hunderd thousands people who bought the game log in to the server and test the whole environment all together as well?

I think nothing wrong both way though. It's just a way people choose to do thing. Different people, different approach I guess.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I see this more as a lesson for Qore and its business model. Don't tie incomplete or even unstarted demos/betas to the subscription. They're not meant to be incentives in this fashion and a situation like this perfectly exemplifies why. Perfectly understandable that IG's priorities are on finishing the game proper and of course there's the issues of coordination with multiple organizations worldwide to pull off the implementation.

patsu

SumGamer said:
Kinda make sense, but with this close to release wouldn't it be better to just wait for the hunderd thousands people who bought the game log in to the server and test the whole environment all together as well?

I think nothing wrong both way though. It's just a way people choose to do thing. Different people, different approach I guess.

The beta data will be useful for match making.

RobertM

jstevenson said:

Take your time guys, I got tests and papers due anyways.

Sean

Banned
Finally got my R2 beta voucher yesterday. Still waiting on the response from GS customer service so if they send me a code via email I'll give it to one of you guys.

Hopefully the beta comes out soon, it's only three weeks until its released and there's quite a few new games releasing during that time period.

Enojado

jstevenson said:

James, thanks for giving us this update. I hope you'll forgive our frustration as we are desperate to get our hands on the gaming goodness known as R2.

Prezhulio

jstevenson said:
PSN being completely down this afternoon creates challenges for working on multiplayer titles, or really doing much of anything.

damn, i was hoping this could be in prep for some r2 beta stuff, oh well. keep up the hard work!

Fizzle

jstevenson said:
PSN being completely down this afternoon creates challenges for working on multiplayer titles, or really doing much of anything.

I'm thinking of a question, but i'm not allowed to tell you it, all you can do is give me an answer, and the answer must be person.

Answer away.

Enojado

jstevenson said:

Sorry to hear that, James. I didn't know it was down. Hope it gets back up soon so you guys can get done what you want/need to get done.

Fersis

The animation ,man i love the chimera animation, theyre using motion capture and it really makes an improvement.
It was a clever choice to use motion capture :D ,it makes the chimera more frighting and more 'real' or something like that.

Im sooooo gonna get this game

Holy shit I knew this looked familiar! :lol

552.jpg

xbox360_halo3_4_06.jpg

Whatever, R2 still looks like alot of fun.

Zophar

permutated said:
Holy shit I knew this looked familiar! :lol

Whatever, R2 still looks like alot of fun.
Resistance beat Halo 3 to the punch by like a year. The original had shield grenades too.

JB1981

That particular style shield was certainly not in the original Resistance. However, the Auger shield was, which was used for repelling enemy gunfire. The shield in that pic is for the Heavy loadout, which is basically impenetrable to all enemy fire. It's only a half shield and is not a piece of equipment that one has to pick up, but is part of the Loadout itself.

No one can deny that Insomniac has borrowed ideas from a lot of popular shooters when designing the sequel - it's pretty easy to spot the influences. And that isn't a bad thing, imo.

Zophar

JB1981 said:
That particular style shield was certainly not in the original Resistance. However, the Auger shield was, which was used for repelling enemy gunfire. The shield in that pic is for the Heavy loadout, which is basically impenetrable to all enemy fire. It's only a half shield and is not a piece of equipment that one has to pick up, but is part of the Loadout itself.
Yeah, it was in Resistance 1 too. It was unlocked on a second playthrough but the shield grenades would create a bubble that you could stand in and would repel all shots back at the enemies, killing them instead. I think they were in MP too but I can't remember.

JB1981

Private Hoffman said:
Hopefully tomorrow the executives will be back from Japan and the PSN servers will be up again so that the beta can launch.

The PSN servers are up in America. I'm playing a shooter - which will not be named - on the network right now. :D

JB1981

Zophar said:
Yeah, it was in Resistance 1 too. It was unlocked on a second playthrough but the shield grenades would create a bubble that you could stand in and would repel all shots back at the enemies, killing them instead. I think they were in MP too but I can't remember.

You're talking about the Backlash grenade, which is still different and was never available in MP .... but I see your point. I'm not claiming they are stealing anything from anybody .... even if they did ... if it improved the game, I wouldn't really give a shit. I always though the original Resistance needed to offer the player more options for 'cover' in multi anyway

SpudBud

Please don't bring up Halo in Resistance thread and vice versa. It never ends well and tends to derail threads.

We would like to have a peaceful coexistence.

This message was brought to you by SpudBud, HaloGAF representative.

Anyway, can't wait till the beta.

Top Bottom