• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

I think the reason Resistance got some OK reviews because the reviewers didn't go through the whole game. In part it is Insomniac's fault too because the first hours of the game don't wow people yet so some people just give up. Its tough to wow people from the beginning to the end.

Anyway that level is my favorite one.

Crackerman16 said:
Note: Some minor spoilers are in my screenshots, since they're taken from the 2nd to last level in Campaign mode.

The
Goliath
battle was probably my favorite set piece in the game. I like the little job they did teasing it throughout the campaign. First see parts of it under construction in a Chimera hanger, later on you find out that's the thing they use to
launch the Spires
. In London there's an intel you can pick up where a soldier is gawking about the battle they had to take it down. Eventually you see one in the background marching toward the city while you fight a Stalker. When you finally have to rumble with the thing it's a great "holy shit" moment.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I agree that the build-up is well done, but I think they botched it a bit in the delivery of the actual confrontation since they immediately throw you into a spider mech which reduces the sense of scale and mass of the enemy. Could've been a more SOTC moment, IMO.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
The
Goliath
battle was probably my favorite set piece in the game. I like the little job they did teasing it throughout the campaign. First see parts of it under construction in a Chimera hanger, later on you find out that's the thing they use to
launch the Spires
. In London there's an intel you can pick up where a soldier is gawking about the battle they had to take it down. Eventually you see one in the background marching toward the city while you fight a Stalker. When you finally have to rumble with the thing it's a great "holy shit" moment.

Yeah, it was a fun battle and nicely built up. It takes forever though, lol. Hate it when it
keeps launching the multiple missiles/rockets at you and you get hurt when it hits the ground in your general vicinity.
I was seriously like WOW when I saw this fight, with all the missiles/rockets, snow, AI, and general graphics.

teepo said:
COULD OF LINKED THE PICTURES AS I'M ONLY A FEW MINUTES AWAY FROM THAT

Sorry, but I gave you warning. If you didn't want to be spoiled, you could've scrolled all the way down and close your eyes or something. :D

Crackerman16 said:
Yeah, it was a fun battle and nicely built up. It takes forever though, lol. Hate it when it
keeps launching the multiple missiles/rockets at you and you get hurt when it hits the ground in your general vicinity.
I was seriously like WOW when I saw this fight, with all the missiles/rockets, snow, AI, and general graphics.

The best way to fight that mech is to stay in front of it. Just move left and right. Don't run away or hide.

You probably should've spoiler tagged that. But yeah, that's a decent strategy... just don't get
stomped by him.
I also like
hiding behind a wall and wait for the Goliath to launch a bunch of missiles, hitting the wall, thus blowing up on itself.
It's safer that way, but takes longer and a lot of careful maneuvering.

Dante

acousticvan said:
I think the reason Resistance got some OK reviews because the reviewers didn't go through the whole game. In part it is Insomniac's fault too because the first hours of the game don't wow people yet so some people just give up. Its tough to wow people from the beginning to the end.

Anyway that level is my favorite one.

BFT

I think that goes for lottsa games though. This is my game of 06 hands down.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
K, I'm up to the 2nd demo level, so far. Right when you get out of the tunnel, and there's a Titan, and then s hit goes down.

So far the game's solid. A lot of the very WWII-like parts were a bit less enjoyable, but there's been e nough highlights to counter that, and if it continues to escalate I can see, to a degree, where all the praise comes from.

That said, at least early on, the solid-yet-not-spectacular gameplay (not bashing, just saying) is totally ok'd by the story and delivery. I dunno, maybe it's the history buff in me, but learning about the spread of the Chimera and the fall of man (hehe) was very, very intruiging.

Ah well, I'll go play more. Hard's a pretty solid difficulty, too. Perfect for me.

kaching said:
I agree that the build-up is well done, but I think they botched it a bit in the delivery of the actual confrontation since they immediately throw you into a spider mech which reduces the sense of scale and mass of the enemy. Could've been a more SOTC moment, IMO.

Yeah that's true. It was kind of a nifty angle to take though because for most of the game your perspective of the Stalker is desperately trying to flank it as a ground soldier, and just when you finally get to raise some hell with one of your own... here comes Godzilla to take you down a peg. :D

Nice playing with lunlunqqq and safe_bet. Breach is by far my favorite mode, and I hadn't played on that map before, so it was fun to learn.

I also had mic problems, but I think that's becuase I use my headset for both my phone and PS3 and it got confused.

Wollan

DON't FORGET THE SCHEDULED GAME TONIGHT @ 8PM PST. Details below.

Reposted for great justice.

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 8pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who avoids the LAARK like the plague? Sure it's powerful, but I honestly can't stand using it in MP. Maybe I just haven't figured out the magic of it, but I'm far more efficient with a couple of hedgehog grenades and the standard carbine than I ever am with the LAARK.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Out of curiosity, am I the only one who avoids the LAARK like the plague? Sure it's powerful, but I honestly can't stand using it in MP. Maybe I just haven't figured out the magic of it, but I'm far more efficient with a couple of hedgehog grenades and the standard carbine than I ever am with the LAARK.

I suck with it, but I don't avoid it. When I see it, I take it to practice with. Likewise, I am also more efficient with standard gear, esp. the Carbine.

Odds are, if you see me with the LAARK, I've just shot past somebody's head and hit a random wall with it.

Different question: do grenades work against Breach reactors?

M3Freak

Banned
Here's my ID: m3freak

Haven't done any online yet. Actually, haven't played much of the campaign either. I'm somewhere a little past the first time you get the tank. I'm going to try playing tonight - don't have the time usually.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
M3Freak said:
Here's my ID: m3freak

Haven't done any online yet. Actually, haven't played much of the campaign either. I'm somewhere a little past the first time you get the tank. I'm going to try playing tonight - don't have the time usually.
if you want, I'll add you to the clan, but you've got to login to the online portion first for your id to register as valid for a clan invite. PM me when you've logged into online at least once and then I'll send you a clan invite.

JdFoX187

Banned
I keep setting myself on fire with the flame thrower :lol . Two questions: is there a way to avoid this? And, if I do get set on fire by it, can I put myself out?

Safe Bet

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I keep setting myself on fire with the flame thrower :lol . Two questions: is there a way to avoid this? And, if I do get set on fire by it, can I put myself out?
..avoid it's flames by trying to keep a small distance while using it.

..you want to be close when you use it, but not too close.

..shake your controller to put yourself out.

JdFoX187 said:

Shakey shakey the controller about. Or fiddle with the thumbsticks, if you have tilt turned off.

M3Freak

Banned
kaching said:
if you want, I'll add you to the clan, but you've got to login to the online portion first for your id to register as valid for a clan invite. PM me when you've logged into online at least once and then I'll send you a clan invite.

Cool - will do later today.

Be warned: I suck at the moment.

Dante

Hey all,

took some pics last night while playing, but be warned my camera SUCKS and kinda messed up the color balance :(

Resistance_07.jpg

Resistance_06.jpg

Resistance_05.jpg

Resistance_04.jpg

Resistance_03.jpg

Resistance_02.jpg

Matt_C

Another Resistance: Fall of Man review is posted (I know self referential plug). I did complete the game to the beginning until the end and man what a ride.

I got to try out a harder difficulty
and pick up the extra weapons

My username is Matarick in Resistance and PSN and I hope I will see you online some time soon.

I wonder if the Cloven will be an enemy in the sequel and I do not want to wait after Ratchet & Clank PS3 to fend off the Chimera in the rest of Europe. Did you think the Chimera was a result of the meddling of Nuclear tests by the United States?

mr_nothin

Banned
Matt_C said:
My username is Matarick in Resistance and PSN and I hope I will see you online some time soon.
Were your parents having a hard time choosing between the names, Mathew and Derrick and just said "what the hell...we'll name it matarick"?

Matt_C

mr_nothin said:
Were your parents having a hard time choosing between the names, Mathew and Derrick and just said "what the hell...we'll name it matarick"?

Well how I came about Matarick is combining my first name, Matthew, with my last name
Cohick
and I added some Mega Man X flavor to the handle. That's the story on how I created my unique name for Internet since 1996.

jstevenson said:
Grenades are good. Arc Charger is better.

JS

Yeah, I tried that last night and it worked really well.

So, JS, you think you could give your GAF buddies more parts of the Cloven skin (I saw them on your stats)?

;)

mr_nothin

Banned
Matt_C said:
Well how I came about Matarick is combining my first name, Matthew, with my last name
Cohick
and I added some Mega Man X flavor to the handle. That's the story on how I created my unique name for Internet since 1996.
interesting.... ^_^

Resistance discussion, carry on....

Dante

theBishop said:
when i first saw the reflective effect on this beehive-shaped glass, i spent 15-20 minutes just walking around it watching the reflections change. Hypnotic.

:lol I did the same thing, I had to stop and take photo's. Unfortunatly my camera borked them up pretty bad.

I took a few more of GTHD, and F1 that came out a lil better, but overall i think it's time for a new camera :/

BruceLeeRoy said:
Awesome screenshots cracker thanks man.

NP dude. Glad you liked them. :)
It took a very long time just picking out the scenes/shots, preparing the camera (my crappy 3 year old 3.2MP), and cropping them.

theBishop said:
when i first saw the reflective effect on this beehive-shaped glass, i spent 15-20 minutes just walking around it watching the reflections change. Hypnotic.

I love just staring at the ground/beehive-shaped glass during parts of the
Tower

JdFoX187

Banned
So do you unlock more options for your character by playing through the campaign or multiplayer? I've seen some screwed up things since I started playing. One guy was running around with no shirt on, then I stumbled across a guy who had just a skull. Scared the shit out of me when I first saw that.

JdFoX187 said:
So do you unlock more options for your character by playing through the campaign or multiplayer? I've seen some screwed up things since I started playing. One guy was running around with no shirt on, then I stumbled across a guy who had just a skull. Scared the shit out of me when I first saw that.

Both.
Shirtless dude is unlocked by getting a high Lieutenant Colonel rank in online MP.
The skull is unlocked by getting all skillpoints in campaign mode.

Go here: http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=2422.msg31213#msg31213

I don't really understand how the ranking system works. I compared my stats to those of a guy who had gotten the rank of Major (something), and while my stats (kills to death ratio, games played and won etc) were plenty superior to his achievements, I only recently moved up to 1st Sergeant.

akachan ningen said:
I went straight from Private to sergeant major wtf? So how do I get the pantless dude?

Resistance/Sony servers has lots of issues with stat tracking. You probably didn't rank up for a while and all of the sudden, they updated the stats, boosting you up 7 ranks. Back when Resistance actually kept track of stats well (first 5 or so weeks after release), they updated stats almost after every match you played. Now, not really...
There's not pantless dude. :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't really understand how the ranking system works. I compared my stats to those of a guy who had gotten the rank of Major (something), and while my stats (kills to death ratio, games played and won etc) were plenty superior to his achievements, I only recently moved up to 1st Sergeant.

Resistance uses an XP system similar to that of RPGs, where you rank up as you play more and more. Your stats only matter to a certain degree when ranking up. You rank up faster if you have good stats, compared to others with similar games played, but people who have been playing A LOT more games than you will almost always have a higher rank. Rank means almost nothing except to unlock skins/accessories and to show that you've played a lot of online MP.

Incredibly lame/stupid about the way you gain experience. Lots of talk about that on the resistance forums too. I always thought it was broken/didn't like me as my stats are pretty ridiculous and I'd see people with literally a fourth of what I have be many ranks higher than me (though you'd think with all those games played...). I'm not exactly LOW at Brigadier General but whatever. Guess I shouldn't have reduced my play time while stats weren't recording :lol

GGs tonight. Seemed to do better at TDM then Meltdown/Breach this go around. Maybe we need better Node strategies? There was that early rush from the other team a couple times and it was hard to recover.

Anyone else have trouble with the mics after a couple games in? I could hear everyone fine for the first few and then shit went haywire after that, getting static and whatnot. Couldn't tell if you guys could hear me or not. Weird.

lunlunqq said:
great games. that's by far the best GAF resistance party i've had so far. lots of ppl, many with headsets. really fun! :D :D :D

My headset kept bugging out all evening. I first got a bunch of bleeps, figured it was the battery or something so I switched the battery. The bleeps disappeared and I could hear the pre-game chatter, but it kept screwing up during the actual games. I guess it doesn't take too kindly to being activated from within the game or something.

Top Bottom