• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 1 of Garo: yep, 480p Gamecube and Wii is the real deal! No issues whatsoever with the device itself, at least with the VGA output. At first I was disappointed with how soft the image looked, thinking that the Wii's progressive output was to blame, but I had simply forgotten to turn off Nintendont's flicker filter in the settings. Once that was out of the way it was exactly the upgrade I thought it would be.

The colors aren't as neutral as I hoped they would be, but that's more the monitor's fault. It only allows for 6500k and 9300k color temperatures. To me, the former is way too dingy and the latter makes reds and greens look off, although 9300k seems more palatable overall. I really wish there was an in between option.

Oh yeah, and F-Zero GX looks unreal in 480p. Crazy that a game that good looking is running on Gamecube hardware (at locked 60fps, no less).

Kawika

Mind going into what you did? Just for future reference.

If you are facing the BVM. You take off the right panel (a few screws). The whole thing doesn't come off, just the right side (kind of reminds me of a PC case they way it slides in and locks in place). In the back right are two dials. One if for vertical and the other horizontal. You can turn them by hand. Once you adjust them to what looks sharp enough to you, put the panel back on and profit.

TRIGGER WARNING:

Some people here will tell you CRT or go home. I see the benefits and that glow that crts have is unmatched. But I have to admit, except for tricky platformers and shmups I totally prefer playing on my HDTV via my XRGB. It doesn't look quite right until you back up a few feet and suddenly you can't actually see the scan line in detail and what you are left with is a much cleaner image that is considerably easier to play from across the room.

Edit for Safety

It goes without saying, opening can be dangerous. What I described won't have any chance of injuring you. However, rule of thumb when working on TVs. Discharge your static electricity on a piece of metal before you touch it and keep one hand in your pocket. It sounds silly, but if one hand is in your pocket you won't have a chance of shocking yourself.

I am not sure if this is against the rules. If it is please let me know and I will delete this. If anyone is interested in getting a PVM/BVM from a Sony Tech that is calibrated properly PM me and I will give you the contact info. He isn't cheap but he does good work. He will ship the CRTs but if you are in SoCal he is in Orange County. I told him I would spread the word in my circles.

Somehow, the Framemeister I pre-ordered that is releasing at the end of February... arrived at my house today. Not complaining! It didn't take too much prodding from the people in here and elsewhere, but i'm glad I took the plunge. It makes my Saturn feel like a brand new machine! Honestly blown away and very pleased - I can rest a little easier knowing my retro consoles are just a little bit more future proofed from advancing TV tech now.

Apart from the Saturn, which is hooked up with JP21, I tried my PAL and JP Gamecubes through Component>D-Terminal and was pleased with the results there too. I have a few 50hz only PAL games that wouldn't display properly on the TV before, now they run and look great. I tried FBX's profiles for widescreen F-Zero GX... but with Soul Calibur 2's widescreen instead, and it's still damn impressive how good that game looks.

My PAL Gamecube GBA Player with scanlines is nice as well. I'm aware the GBP doesn't have the best output to begin with, but it looks decent enough.

Finally i just have Composite cables for my Super Famicom & N64 at the moment (soon to be rectified, the early arrival caught me off guard!) - but even then it made a marked improvement over whatever the TV was doing before. Once i get better gear i'll be keen to try out Super Gameboy!

If you are facing the BVM. You take off the right panel (a few screws). The whole thing doesn't come off, just the right side (kind of reminds me of a PC case they way it slides in and locks in place). In the back right are two dials. One if for vertical and the other horizontal. You can turn them by hand. Once you adjust them to what looks sharp enough to you, put the panel back on and profit.

TRIGGER WARNING:

Some people here will tell you CRT or go home. I see the benefits and that glow that crts have is unmatched. But I have to admit, except for tricky platformers and shmups I totally prefer playing on my HDTV via my XRGB. It doesn't look quite right until you back up a few feet and suddenly you can't actually see the scan line in detail and what you are left with is a much cleaner image that is considerably easier to play from across the room.

Edit for Safety

It goes without saying, opening can be dangerous. What I described won't have any chance of injuring you. However, rule of thumb when working on TVs. Discharge your static electricity on a piece of metal before you touch it and keep one hand in your pocket. It sounds silly, but if one hand is in your pocket you won't have a chance of shocking yourself.

I am not sure if this is against the rules. If it is please let me know and I will delete this. If anyone is interested in getting a PVM/BVM from a Sony Tech that is calibrated properly PM me and I will give you the contact info. He isn't cheap but he does good work. He will ship the CRTs but if you are in SoCal he is in Orange County. I told him I would spread the word in my circles.

Good, I assumed it was adjusting those knobs. Did that with my PVM so assumed it was the same with the BVM, just didn't have to do it with them. Wish I could find the internal one for contrast/brightness that I've seen mentioned before since my PVM could use that as well, but whatever.

Also, if I didn't live on the other god damn side of the country I would take you up on your offer. I would love a lower hour/better pvm/bvm. Or 5. :c

Hey ya'll, I'd be willing to part with some of my collection for some very reasonable prices. I'm looking to sock away some cash, but not under any dire circumstances and would prefer these go to people that will actually appreciate/play them.

Is it OK to post stuff here to see if people are interested or is that a bannable offense?

Is there a better method of doing this? I'd rather you guys get it than some other monster.

Kawika

Good, I assumed it was adjusting those knobs. Did that with my PVM so assumed it was the same with the BVM, just didn't have to do it with them. Wish I could find the internal one for contrast/brightness that I've seen mentioned before since my PVM could use that as well, but whatever.

Also, if I didn't live on the other god damn side of the country I would take you up on your offer. I would love a lower hour/better pvm/bvm. Or 5. :c

Where are you located? I am sure there is an equivalent tech to you. I bet if I asked my guy he has a contact in all the major cities on the east coast. When I picked up my BVM he had a colleague from Utah call. My guy will actually fully calibrate the PVM/BVM for $150. I think its awesome but the thing is, he will leave a large amount of the frame out because he dials it into sony's rules not what gamers would want.

I actually have to expand the screen to the borders. I haven't wanted to mess with that yet because I am having an internal debate about if I want to keep it or not. 20" CRTs aren't very wife friendly and I set up my retro collection in my office closet. It fits, but its tight. I could score a smaller 4K HDTV for what I spent and I still have my 14M4U which is really easy to pivot if I want to play horizontal shooters and is considerably sharper than my BVM.

dubc35

Hey ya'll, I'd be willing to part with some of my collection for some very reasonable prices. I'm looking to sock away some cash, but not under any dire circumstances and would prefer these go to people that will actually appreciate/play them.

Is it OK to post stuff here to see if people are interested or is that a bannable offense?

Is there a better method of doing this? I'd rather you guys get it than some other monster.

The B/S/T thread is probably the best place for it. I think (not sure) but I think it's ok to post in here or Retro-GAF to say you have things listed in the B/S/T thread.

Peltz

I finally own the NES RGB Board and am about to send my unit to Voultar for the mod. He asked me if I want the "FBX Palette" which apparently is more authentic than what palette options come on the board.

Well, does anyone here have experience with this?

Galdelico

Is it AV related stuff? If so, I wouldn't see anything wrong to give a heads-up to the people here first. ;)

empo

I finally own the NES RGB Board and am about to send my unit to Voultar for the mod. He asked me if I want the "FBX Palette" which apparently is more authentic than what palette options come on the board.

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html
The last changes were just done so it's gonna take a day or two until the firmware is available. And yeah even the older palettes FBX did are an improvement.

I played around with it in an emulator. I'm not a fan. His methodology is flawed IMO.

The included NESRGB "natural" palette is spot on.

However there are 3 palettes on the NESRGB board and garish is useless so if it replaces that I'd say go for it.

televator

Don't see anything wrong with you making a post in the B/S/T thread and then posting a link here. Unless you want to keep it more specific to the people of Retro AV

Thanks for the advice, I'd prefer people who would appreciate it the most and from what I've seen between here and Retro-Gaf, I would have the best luck.

I'll put stuff together and keep you all informed.

Peltz

I played around with it in an emulator. I'm not a fan. His methodology is flawed IMO.

However there are 3 palettes on the NESRGB board and garish is useless so if it replaces that I'd say go for it.

Shyit... I need more clarity on this. Any more clear comparisons or impressions?

Where are you located? I am sure there is an equivalent tech to you. I bet if I asked my guy he has a contact in all the major cities on the east coast. When I picked up my BVM he had a colleague from Utah call. My guy will actually fully calibrate the PVM/BVM for $150. I think its awesome but the thing is, he will leave a large amount of the frame out because he dials it into sony's rules not what gamers would want.

I actually have to expand the screen to the borders. I haven't wanted to mess with that yet because I am having an internal debate about if I want to keep it or not. 20" CRTs aren't very wife friendly and I set up my retro collection in my office closet. It fits, but its tight. I could score a smaller 4K HDTV for what I spent and I still have my 14M4U which is really easy to pivot if I want to play horizontal shooters and is considerably sharper than my BVM.

Northern VA/DC area. Making the screen fit the borders/where you want it to is probably the easiest thing to do so that isn't even a problem. Anyway, you don't need to worry about it since I'm not rushing out right away to get new monitors, just would like some. All the ones I have are showing their age in various ways so who knows when they will go. Prices are just getting higher and higher making me worry for the future and regret passing on low hour ones for what I thought was vastly overpriced before.

The B/S/T thread is probably the best place for it. I think (not sure) but I think it's ok to post in here or Retro-GAF to say you have things listed in the B/S/T thread.

Yeah what he said. Don't forget to post about it in the retro threads as that is the only way I've been able to get in on some b/s/t thread action since I don't actively follow the thread itself.

this has been discussed pretty extensively on shmups forum. FBX's palette tries to emulate the colors that result from a low quality rf/composite signal.

He tries to match the output of an interpretation of what NTSC encoded color means according to displays he has.

Modern NES emulators generate NTSC colorspace internally the same way the NES PPU does. This is then converted to RGB color space. The results are very good. NESRGB's natural pallette is based on what Nintendulator generates. There's a lot of documentation about this process here if you're interested.

Neither is really "accurate" because NTSC color is a mess but the math based approach is less open to interpretation and looks very good.

Peltz

He tries to match the output of an interpretation of what NTSC encoded color means according to displays he has.

Modern NES emulators generate NTSC colorspace internally the same way the NES PPU does. This is then converted to RGB color space. The results are very good. NESRGB's natural pallette is based on what Nintendulator generates. There's a lot of documentation about this process here if you're interested.

Neither is really "accurate" because NTSC color is a mess but the math based approach is less open to interpretation and looks very good.

Can both be put on the same board by getting rid of the garish option?

I don't think he uses RGB as reference though. I might be conflating him with someone else doing similar work, though. It's been a while since i read through those threads.

empo

Can both be put on the same board by getting rid of the garish option?
These were the options he sent to Tim.
Option 1:
PC-10 >>> Composite Direct (FBX) >>> Original Hardware (FBX)
Option 2:
PC-10 >>> Composite Direct (FBX) >>> PVM Style (FBX)
Option 3:
PC-10 >>> NES Classic (FBX-FS) >>> PVM Style (FBX)
Option 4:
PVM Style (FBX) >>> NES Classic (FBX-FS) >>> Composite Direct (FBX)
Option 5:
PVM Style (FBX) >>> Original Hardware (FBX) >>> Composite Direct (FBX)
Option 6:
PVM Style (FBX) >>> Original Hardware (FBX) >>> NES Classic (FBX-FS)
There used to be more comparison pictures but he pretty much scrapped everything and started over. Check some of the last pages of this thread.

Peltz

nes-yuvcomparison-04.png

Hmmm... So I actually woke up early to play MM2 and get to this point in the game (still so much fun). On composite on a real NES, the left image looks way closer to what is being output. And that is from the FBX palette.

Granted that's on a PVM, and reading up on things, I realize that NES palette conversations are a bit of a rabbit hole.

Now I have the XRGB Mini, i need some quintessential 2D and that means Rondo of Blood. Is an original Wii the best way to play it? Does it support 240p mode? I don't have a Wii at the moment but they're fairly cheap, though the thought of braving the Wii Shop Channel once more instills fear in my heart!

I don't need it that bad that i'd fork out for the PCE Super CD machine and game. I do have PSP's Dracula X Chronicles, but since i have a 1000 model, the ghosting is ruining it. I figure a later model PSP with Component cables could work, but it'd still be small on the screen. I'm assuming playing on Wii U vWii will be poor cause it doesn't do 240p.

Since i'm in a Castlevania mood as well, has anyone got Super Castlevania IV or Drac X (no substitute but i still like this version) for 3DS and how do they run/look? I haven't got any SNES VC on 3DS yet, so i'm not sure how big pixel perfect would look on a regular N3DS, or is it quite small?

Kawika

Now I have the XRGB Mini, i need some quintessential 2D and that means Rondo of Blood. Is an original Wii the best way to play it? Does it support 240p mode? I don't have a Wii at the moment but they're fairly cheap, though the thought of braving the Wii Shop Channel once more instills fear in my heart!

I don't need it that bad that i'd fork out for the PCE Super CD machine and game. I do have PSP's Dracula X Chronicles, but since i have a 1000 model, the ghosting is ruining it. I figure a later model PSP with Component cables could work, but it'd still be small on the screen. I'm assuming playing on Wii U vWii will be poor cause it doesn't do 240p.

Since i'm in a Castlevania mood as well, has anyone got Super Castlevania IV or Drac X (no substitute but i still like this version) for 3DS and how do they run/look? I haven't got any SNES VC on 3DS yet, so i'm not sure how big pixel perfect would look on a regular N3DS, or is it quite small?

I think this will answer you question about virtual console. If you only want to play that game I don't suggest buying a PC Engine. Anyway you can check out this section to see what you can do with VC on the Wii (this is actually how I got back into retro gaming so thats a great start).

http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html

Playing in 240p
In order to play VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode. Then follow this procedure:

1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well...I'm not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you'll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you've done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead

List of 240p compatible Wii VC games

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood made it!

It's also worth noting that via injection you can convert ALL of the 480i TG16/PC-Engine VC games to 240p. I did a dozen of my favorites a while back.

Mega

Banned
Good news. After speaking with the Sony Tech, I was able to dial in my 20F1U to be as sharp as my xrgb. I am so happy that I was able to make that adjustment. It fixed everything. It was akin to putting on reading glasses and having everything fuzzy clear up. It only took me 5 minutes to make the needed adjustments. I can't believe how simple that was.

Glad you got it fixed. My 20F1U is definitely sharper than any other CRT I own. Sometimes it's crazy how crisp it looks. How many hours on your set?

He talks about the MSU-1 patches, and I'm so happy he showcased the Super Metroid MSU1 which is probably the best of them I've tried.

Old post that I was itching to respond to, but I find that MSU-1 patched audio doesn't really go with the mood evoked by Super Metroid. It's not the sort of game where you feel like a live band should be playing while you run through alien caverns. The SNES synth just works with the desolate sci-fi aesthetic. If you look at some of the comments below this video showing off a few areas, I have to agree that the music is either too slow, too orchestrated and or the cues are way off, killing the suspense and intensity of what's supposed to be happening on the screen.

On the other hand, I'm currently 90% done with Zelda: LttP with MSU-1 audio and it's perfect. I have to occasionally go back to the original audio tracks because these have completely taken over my mental recollection and I forget what the originals sounded like. The CD quality audio fits so well.

Glad you got it fixed. My 20F1U is definitely sharper than any other CRT I own. Sometimes it's crazy how crisp it looks. How many hours on your set?

Old post that I was itching to respond to, but I find that MSU-1 patched audio doesn't really go with the mood evoked by Super Metroid. It's not the sort of game where you feel like a live band should be playing while you run through alien caverns. The SNES synth just works with the desolate sci-fi aesthetic. If you look at some of the comments below this video showing off a few areas, I have to agree that the music is either too slow, too orchestrated and or the cues are way off, killing the suspense and intensity of what's supposed to be happening on the screen.

On the other hand, I'm currently 90% done with Zelda: LttP with MSU-1 audio and it's perfect. I have to occasionally go back to the original audio tracks because these have completely taken over my mental recollection and I forget what the originals sounded like. The CD quality audio fits so well.

Thanks for the impressions Mega. I'm extremely interested in getting the SD2SNES eventually because of the MSU1. I'm looking more to play it with SMW/TMNT/Ninja Gaiden and the DKC series.

Kawika

The tech said 25-30K. The screen is bright and clear. The component that the hours are attached to has a serial number, that serial number will match the display and the board. Unfortunately, mine went bad. They swapped it with another unit so the hours aren't correct. I believe him because i am sure he doesn't want to tarnish his rep. He also said that as this monitor sits in place its actually getting better. He said the magnetic field of the planet will actually make some of the settings go out of sync until it degausses a few times. I thought it was bs, but sure as shit, the picture has been progressively getting cleaner this week.

The MSU1 thing seems really appealing. I finally got a Super Everdrive last year. Does the SD2SNES load any faster? I am really spoiled with my Mega ED X7 & ED 64 v3. Loading time seem excessive on the Super ED.

I think this will answer you question about virtual console. If you only want to play that game I don't suggest buying a PC Engine. Anyway you can check out this section to see what you can do with VC on the Wii (this is actually how I got back into retro gaming so thats a great start).

http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html

Playing in 240p
In order to play VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode. Then follow this procedure:

1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well...I'm not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you'll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you've done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead

List of 240p compatible Wii VC games

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood made it!

Also, you can get 240p out of the TG16 core in retroarch Wii. I'm planning to do a big writeup here in the next month that details 240p gaming on Wii; Retroarch can be tough to deal with but once you get ahold of it it opens up a ton of possibilities with 240p.

Mega

Banned
SD2SNES doesn't have load times. It's technically not even an Everdrive product. I think it was a collaboration with someone else as main creator and KrikZZ assisting and now selling it. Don't remember the exact details.

Yeah, he wasn't lying about the magnetism thing. The room, location within the room and direction its facing can affect the CRT. Was your BVM from savon-pat, the retired Sony BVM technician? RetroRGB had a great in-depth interview with him. Really worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/sZqQMzS1dLc?t=25m37s

He said only a few hundred BKM-68X cards for the A series BVM (A20F1U, etc) were produced. Those are the ones I tell people not to buy because it's nearly impossible to find that card for RGB/Component and he confirmed hardly any were made. I have seen a total of two sell on ebay in almost two years and they went for hundreds. He says they're going for $3000+ now!

Welcome back Mega!

Thanks!

Also, you can get 240p out of the TG16 core in retroarch Wii. I'm planning to do a big writeup here in the next month that details 240p gaming on Wii; Retroarch can be tough to deal with but once you get ahold of it it opens up a ton of possibilities with 240p.

Is Retroarch on Wii as incredibly lag-free as VC is? Because lag on VC feels non-existent. See bomb jumping in Super Metroid, and see Punch-Out!! in general. These emulators are coded really, really well for latency.

Does the SD2SNES load any faster?

It's crazy fast. Speaking of Super Metroid, there's a hack for it that is exclusive to SD2SNES that has a save state. Been using that a lot lately.

Kawika

SD2SNES doesn't have load times. It's technically not even an Everdrive product. I think it was a collaboration with someone else as main creator and KrikZZ assisting and now selling it. Don't remember the exact details.

Yeah, he wasn't lying about the magnetism thing. The room, location within the room and direction its facing can affect the CRT. Was your BVM from savon-pat, the retired Sony BVM technician? RetroRGB had a great in-depth interview with him. Really worth a listen.

He said only a few hundred BKM-68X cards for the A series BVM (A20F1U, etc) were produced. Those are the ones I tell people not to buy because it's nearly impossible to find that card for RGB/Component and he confirmed hardly any were made. I have seen a total of two sell on ebay in almost two years and they went for hundreds. He says they're going for $3000+ now!

Thanks!

Yeah, Its Patrick. I don't think mine is the A series because why would you sell that? I would just harvest the parts and sell them online if you can 3-5 times as much money for the card than you could for the monitor. Maybe I have that. I really need to go through the menu (easier than looking in the back).

Yeah, the SD2SNES is on my short list of things to get. I wish I knew what I was doing before I bought the Super ED. I would have totally bought the SD2SNES with all the home-brew and hack potential (not to mention incredibly expensive MegamanX games).

Is Retroarch on Wii as incredibly lag-free as VC is? Because lag on VC feels non-existent. See bomb jumping in Super Metroid, and see Punch-Out!! in general. These emulators are coded really, really well for latency.

It's crazy fast. Speaking of Super Metroid, there's a hack for it that is exclusive to SD2SNES that has a save state. Been using that a lot lately.

Save states and fast loading. I got to upgrade. Anyone want a < 1 year-old Super Ed?

IrishNinja

yeah, i wish the SD2SNES had save states, might've justified the price for me...then again, the Mega Everdrive is my shit and the saves aren't always stable, depends on the game.

Super everdive 2's loading isn't nearly as fast as those other modes, but it's not bad by me...there's a neo geo flashcart i keep looking at that has up to 4-5 minutes of loading on some games!

yeah, i wish the SD2SNES had save states, might've justified the price for me...then again, the Mega Everdrive is my shit and the saves aren't always stable, depends on the game.

Super everdive 2's loading isn't nearly as fast as those other modes, but it's not bad by me...there's a neo geo flashcart i keep looking at that has up to 4-5 minutes of loading on some games!

I lost loaded Tales of Phantasia (48 Mbit) in around three seconds on the SD2SNES. It's REAL fast.

Absolutely. I'd even wager that there's less lag in certain cores like Nestopia, than either NES VC or Fceugx.

RetroRGB had a great in-depth interview with him. Really worth a listen.

Thanks for posting this, Pat is a pretty friendly and funny guy. Several years ago, I bought a 20L5 from him and I was trying to explain to him the gaming culture that was appropriating premium CRTs and he was slightly confused by the concept, but affable about it. Just kind of funny to see him being interviewed by Retro RGB now

Brashnir

OK CRT Experts - I need a hand here.

I bought a Sony PVM and it appears that something happened in shipping; the colors are all messed up. See image below.

I tried a degaussing coil, but that didn't make any substantial change. The right edge of the display has the correct colors, and while using the coil, there are areas within the magnetic field which will display the correct colors. Tried several inputs, and it seems consistent over RGB, S-Video and composite inputs, so it's not an input issue. I suspect there's a relatively easy way to fix it, but my very low level of CRT maintenance expertise is exhausted. Any suggestions?

swqa7Z3.png

Peagles

I bought a Sony PVM and it appears that something happened in shipping; the colors are all messed up. See image below.

I tried a degaussing coil, but that didn't make any substantial change. The right edge of the display has the correct colors, and while using the coil, there are areas within the magnetic field which will display the correct colors. Tried several inputs, and it seems consistent over RGB, S-Video and composite inputs, so it's not an input issue. I suspect there's a relatively easy way to fix it, but my very low level of CRT maintenance expertise is exhausted. Any suggestions?

swqa7Z3.png

Psychedelic! Where was it shipped from and to? How far are we talking?

Brashnir

You normally pay good money on the right drugs to play games with those kinds of visuals

Don't get me wrong, it's kind of cool in its own right, but as a person who is interested in preserving old games and related technology, I'd like to get this thing working properly.

If I want a psychedelic experience, I can just tape magnets to all four corners of the display once I get it fixed. (Note - dont do this unless you own a degaussing coil. Definitely do this if you do own one)

missile

swqa7Z3.png
Color tint knob, have you tried?

Wounded

Could be a dry joint there. It would be easy for a repairman to do, it's something you can do yourself, but obviously CRTs are pretty dangerous to work on so that'd be up to you if you wanted to have a look or not.

Don't get me wrong, it's kind of cool in its own right, but as a person who is interested in preserving old games and related technology, I'd like to get this thing working properly.

If I want a psychedelic experience, I can just tape magnets to all four corners of the display once I get it fixed. (Note - dont do this unless you own a degaussing coil. Definitely do this if you do own one)
All jokes aside, I hope you get it up and running. I had troubles with a PVM being shipped to me and it is immensely frustrating

Mega

Banned
Mega try not to get banned again will ya? :p
It's becoming weird tradition.

Hard not to when the reason is something I didn't do! Can't go into detail here but it was something not open to interpretation, as very specific as "you robbed your neighbor's house"... and I simply didn't. There's literally nothing behind the ban so it was either a mistake or a sloppy decision (it was thread-specific and others got caught up in this too). I know it's done but honestly think it was messed up and so I've been in contact with a mod for clarification over this nonsense. I'll leave it at that for the sake of staying on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom