• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

Eusis

I worry about that stuff more when it appears in big games like ME3 than smaller games like this, since not only is it more plausibly "just for fun" but there's also less chance of being as annoying as Chobot ended up being in ME3.

Coconut

Banned
I worry about that stuff more when it appears in big games like ME3 than smaller games like this, since not only is it more plausibly "just for fun" but there's also less chance of being as annoying as Chobot ended up being in ME3.

What is a Chobot? Is that the robot dog?

Het_Nkik

Pre-ordered off the official site because of... the NES box template. Yeah I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

For more examples of how much stuff this game has, there are 17 color modes in the game! All aiming to emulate old consoles and PCs and stuff.

From the Facebook page, earlier this year:

See if yuo can figure out all the references at home, kids!

75285_376297389078305_1802822334_n.jpg

MS-DOS EGA Simulation:

401763_376241332417244_575771319_n.jpg

Quoted for a new page. Those alone look brilliant. One of the most exciting things about this game is all the rendering options, meaning it'll look even more brilliant on the Vita.

For more examples of how much stuff this game has, there are 17 color modes in the game! All aiming to emulate old consoles and PCs and stuff.

enjoy the listing of the colour modes you can play RCR in (17 total!):

Entertainment System
Entertainment Night
Blurst Processor
AtaroVision 2599
SEE=64
Granny Smith

PC DOS EGA
PC DOS CGA A
PC DOS CGA B
PC DOS MDA
PC WIN16
XZ Moonbeam
Black & White TV
Pocket Handheld
Brick Handheld
Virtual Burn
RCR

That actually sounds really awesome. But I wonder what Entertainment Night would be? I can't figure that one out.

Blurst Processor = Sega Genesis?
AtaroVision 2599 = Atari 2600/ Coleco Vision mash-up?
SEE=64 = Commodore 64?
Granny Smith = Apple ][ ?
Pocket Handheld = ??
Brick Handheld = Gameboy as shown above
Virtual Burn = Virtual Boy

Sorry for the OT buy now that Best Buy stopped selling PSN cards via email, where can I buy a PSN card online that is trustworthy. Don't have enough funds in my account atm ans want to buy this game. Thanks!

krYlon

75285_376297389078305_1802822334_n.jpg

MS-DOS EGA Simulation:

401763_376241332417244_575771319_n.jpg

EGA mode!!!!!!

Nostalgia overload.

I still had an EGA computer when everyone else had VGA. I couldn't even play Wolfenstein :(

EGA mode!!!!!!

Nostalgia overload.

I still had an EGA computer when everyone else had VGA. I couldn't even play Wolfenstein :(

Man, I was stuck with a CGA computer for the longest time and I distinctly remember lusting after EGA-level graphics, haha. I remember how mindblowing it was to finally get (S)VGA.

krYlon

enjoy the listing of the colour modes you can play RCR in (17 total!):

Entertainment System
Entertainment Night
Blurst Processor
AtaroVision 2599
SEE=64
Granny Smith

PC DOS EGA
PC DOS CGA A
PC DOS CGA B
PC DOS MDA
PC WIN16
XZ Moonbeam
Black & White TV
Pocket Handheld
Brick Handheld
Virtual Burn
RCR

XZ Moonbeam... that's got to be the ZX Spectrum right? If it is then this is gotf.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Correction. No video modes are exclusive. He was just inspired to make them while working on the Vita version.

While the PS Vita version of Retro City Rampage boasts everything that its PS3 counterpart does, I had fun making a few tweaks to tailor the experience to the handheld. The PS3 version supports tube TV simulation filters which curve the screen and add scanlines (allowing you to play on an LCD TV with the feel of an old CRT); similarly, the PS Vita version supports classic dot-matrix simulation filters giving it a heavy dose of Game Boy/Game Gear nostalgia. I absolutely love it and it’s my filter of choice when playing the game. If the LCD grid simulation alone isn’t retro enough for you, you can also change the color mode. The color modes let you make Retro City Rampage even more retro with options such as “Brick Handheld” (yellow-green monochrome) and “Virtual Burn” (all red), “Blurst Processor,” “SEE=64,” “PC DOS EGA” and a dozen more. These are also available in the PS3 version!

More info on Vita version:

Those of you who are worried that the characters might be too small on the PS Vita screen needn’t be! It supports two screen modes. The standard mode designed specifically for the PS Vita scales everything up and ensures that the characters and everything else are easy to see. Alternatively, the second mode uses smaller pixels but displays the entire 16:9 widescreen image and supports the TV/arcade screen borders of the PS3 counterpart, so it’s entirely up to you.

Not only can the PS3 and PS Vita versions share save games, they also share a single set of scoreboards. If you’re rad enough to blast a high score onto the board, your replay will be up there for everyone to watch no matter which platform.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to see the color mode info appreciated:) He really seems to be going above and beyond with those; 2 or 3 would have been good. 17 varities is crazy.

In my fantasy world, the "Pocket Handheld" is the Neo Geo Pocket. This probably isn't true though, so... yeah.

Pocket Handheld Mode.

Is this the Game Boy Pocket? More black and white vs "green"

Yep, it's that classic yellowed black and white of the Pocket vs the Green of the Brick. Black & White gives you the true greyscale if you prefer. Virtual Burn is making my eyes hurt. ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have they said when it's going to show up on Steam?
Midnight or afternoon? The site still lists it as '2012'. I'd buy it through the site directly, but I've got steambux I'd rather use.

Have they said when it's going to show up on Steam?
Midnight or afternoon? The site still lists it as '2012'. I'd buy it through the site directly, but I've got steambux I'd rather use.

I would ask about this timing stuff but it's thanksgiving here in Canada so not sure he's upright enough to reply ;')

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Day 1 on Vita. I'll have to pick up a points card in the evening.

I just pray PSN doesn't take forever to update. If I get back at 5 with a card in hand and nothing to buy, heads will roll.

Top Bottom