• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: GT 4 for all in December; no online play.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Jonnyram said:
There is no Ferrari. There is no Porsche.
The planned car list was printed in the TGS GT4 brochure.

For Porsche look for Ruf. We might consider Ruf aftermarket but IIRC Germany does not and I believe they are on the list of manufacturers in GT4.

sohka88 said:
90% of people don't give a shit about online play and probably don't even know it was suppose to have it. It will sell millions anyway. The other 10% is here bitching. Most of them xbox fans.
How can they learn to give a shit if you don't put the big sellers online?

sohka88

90% of people don't give a shit about online play and probably don't even know it was suppose to have it. It will sell millions anyway. The other 10% is here bitching. Most of them xbox fans.

Razoric

Banned
sohka88 said:

Obviously you are a sony fanboy. I dont care if it'll sell millions. I, ME, was going to buy it for online play, now I'm not. I'm disappointed. I could give a shit if it sells.

snapty00

Banned
Sony: "We have bought out Nintendo, and Iwata is now commanding our videogame division. We plan to allow him to run our videogame console business into the ground as much as he has Nintendo's."

Seriously, what the hell are they thinking? Delay if necessary, but it needs online gameplay. I am counting on it.

Also, did this just come out of nowhere? I don't remember even hearing a hint of this.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yea, enough with the Damage Control. People were talking this feature up and down and frankly....it's expected these days in a serious racer. The AI has never been very good in this series either. Remember all those conversations about serious gear-head lobbies? This is a huge dissapointment. I'm sure it will still sell well, but I certainly won't pay full price for it and calling it the best racer this gen, etc. now is a joke.

shpankey

not an idiot
Razoric said:
Obviously you are a sony fanboy. I dont care if it'll sell millions. I, ME, was going to buy it for online play, now I'm not. I'm disappointed. I could give a shit if it sells.

pwn4g3

and nicely put I might add.

I hate it when dipshits like sohka88 come in and basically say that 90% of the people is their opinion. In other words, he would be happy (personally) as long as the game sold well. That is his opinion he is expressing... as long as the masses like it, it's ok with him. Fucking strange. I also might recommend Barby and Deer Hunter to him, both sell well to the masses (since he doesn't judge anything based on his own other than its popularity). Jeez, grow a fucking backbone and like/dislike something on your fucking own.

Don't confuse me though, I will still be getting both GT4's. :) As I said earlier... I am a slave. But I am dissapointed in no online. :(

thorns

Banned
:lol at those people who say the game will still sell anyway.

So it's more important to have a game that sells well rather than a good game?

Heart of SIM racers is online mode. Big screwup from Sony.

Bring on 12-16 players online Forza.

Solid

Razoric said:
Well okay, -1 sale then.

I don't think all of you will be able to hold yourself when this title starts getting reviews though. I can see it already.

"Best racing game ever" - 9.7 IGN

"Even with the lack of online Gran Turismo 4 offers so much new to the serie that it's acceptable. You still have link option and 2 player battle so there is more then enough if you want to play with a friend." - 9.4 GS

You just wait.

Jonnyram

DarienA said:
For Porsche look for Ruf. We might consider Ruf aftermarket but IIRC Germany does not and I believe they are on the list of manufacturers in GT4.
There's five RUF cars now you mention it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
thorns said:

You know some people take it too far ONE way... some people take it too far the OTHER way. Lack of online play doesn't make a good game bad... it may simply make it less good.

GAF the land of extremes.

alejob

After the release of GT3 when GT4 was announced all that sony was saying is how online play will be the next big thing for the series. They were pushing the online shit hard and now this??

I didn't get GT3 and I was thinking of getting GT4 for the online play.

GT4 -1.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hell of a thing to lose. I would imagine it was probably no where near done/satisfying whatever vision PD/Yamauchi had for it. Considering its coming out so late in the holiday season, it's hardly going to have a chance to have a dramatic effect on the sales of any of the other presumed heavy hitters, so if online play was close to being done, I'm sure they would have delayed the game a few months.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm pretty sure if a racing game came out these days on the Xbox without online play, it would be ass raped for not being online... i don't see why the biggest racing game in the world failing to be online should be seen as something small... it's a pretty bad miss. :(

sohka88

I hate it when dipshits like sohka88 come in and basically say that 90% of the people is their opinion

Firstly.... f-off.

Secondly, What % of people do you (someone who obviously knows everything) think care about online play? Lets see.....

shpankey

not an idiot
I wonder if they looked at the online implementation of say PGR2 and RSC2 and said "no way can we match those services" and said "if we can't be the best at it, lets not do it at all".

In other words... EGO made them drop the online portion???? Just a random thought.

shpankey

not an idiot
sohka88 said:
Firstly.... f-off.

Secondly, What % of people do you (someone who obviously knows everything) think care about online play? Lets see.....

What I'm saying is... *I* personally don't care. *I* only care what *I* care about when I divulge my opinion. Just because 90% of the people will buy the game (me included) does not mean that I lose my opinion about it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
thorns said:

So you are saying that a game has to be online to be good? The heart of Sim racers is the offline mode, IMO. Unlocking new cars/tracks, beating record times, etc. Seems that with most online console games, they get alot of play initially, but then after a month or so, most of the players drop off big time. So while this is shocking as Sony has hyped GT4 online for over a year, I don't see it as a total deal breaker.

I do wonder when the online component is supposed to be released.

PS2 KID

dskillzhtown said:
So you are saying that a game has to be online to be good? The heart of Sim racers is the offline mode, IMO. Unlocking new cars/tracks, beating record times, etc. Seems that with most online console games, they get alot of play initially, but then after a month or so, most of the players drop off big time. So while this is shocking as Sony has hyped GT4 online for over a year, I don't see it as a total deal breaker.

They'll probably release it at the most commercially lucrative time of the year, Christmas of course! :D

I'd rather have them release the Online portion sooner but GT4 is still a great game and 650 cars and 50 tracks plus new modes will tide me over for a long time. (It must have taken them forever to create all those cars). I can't wait! :D

Now this sucks.

I can feel y'alls pain and I don't even own a PS2.

I put probably 75 hours online in PGR2 and it was great. Without online play, I doubt I would have even bought it.

My sympathies to the masses.

thorns

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

I didn't mean that. But GT4 would be a BETTER game with online mode? no? I was just saying for some people sales numbers are more important than having a better game.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
OMG, the *shame*

OMG... OMG.

Now GT4 becomes a Forza spoiler. I am actually amazed.

OMG.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
TekunoRobby said:
Same, online play wasn't even something I was looking foward too.

Hardly the point mate. The reason this game didn't come out last year was becuase Polyphony was sorting out all the online shinanigans, that was the official line anyway. Whether it was a key USP or not, this is a disaster...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shpankey said:
I wonder if they looked at the online implementation of say PGR2 and RSC2 and said "no way can we match those services" and said "if we can't be the best at it, lets not do it at all".

In other words... EGO made them drop the online portion???? Just a random thought.
I doubt it was a matter of matching community service features or basic online UI implementation that were the problem. I'd suspect that it had more to do with basic driving performance online, being that Yamauchi is touted as such a perfectionist about that aspect.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Folder said:
Whether it was a key USP or not, this is a disaster...
I know, I was just saying from a personal perspective.

It must REALLY suck for the fans who were looking foward to this game and I feel for them. I think online play was a big advertising factor since the beginning.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
kaching said:
...being that Yamauchi is touted as such a perfectionist about that aspect.

Yes. Must be true. He said so himself... ;-)
It's easier to say you're a perfectionist rather than admitting you're out of your depth. Just a thought.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I doubt it was a matter of matching community service features or basic online UI implementation that were the problem. I'd suspect that it had more to do with basic driving performance online, being that Yamauchi is touted as such a perfectionist about that aspect."

Bingo. I'd agree 120% with this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As I've said in that other thread, I'll just wait for the updated, online enabled version. No big deal, IMO, unless you were REALLY itching for this game to play online this winter. Let the masses buy it now, wait and buy it later.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Folder said:
Yes. Must be true. He said so himself... ;-)
It's easier to say you're a perfectionist rather than admitting you're out of your depth. Just a thought.
Always a possibility, but since I was referring to Yamauchi as the director of the game, he's not the one responsible for programming the online code, he's the one responsible for deciding whether it meets his vision, so being out of his depth isn't really relevant here. Everybody else may be out of their depth to provide what he wants.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
kaching said:
Always a possibility, but since I was referring to Yamauchi as the director of the game, he's not the one responsible for programming the online code, he's the one responsible for deciding whether it meets his vision, so being out of his depth isn't really relevant here. Everybody else may be out of their depth to provide what he wants.

As director you are accountable for the team and the whole project. Not least in terms of making sure it can deliver its promises and not get out of its depth, no?

PS2 KID

I really hope GT4 the offline version sells millions upon millions so they can spend a big chunk of those profits on the online version. :) Then everyone would be happy.

I think if Sony didn't stop Yamauchi from developing the game it would never get released. I'm just happy it's coming out this year. Another delay would be too painful for GT fans.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
FortNinety said:
I can’t believe people here are dumb enough to think that the loss of online play will not have a dramatic effect.

I can't believe how dramatically you are overestimating this. The PS2 is a different animal from the X Box as far as online goes.

Forsete

PS2 KID said:
I really hope GT4 the offline version sells millions upon millions so they can spend a big chunk of those profits on the online version. :) Then everyone would be happy.

I think if Sony didn't stop Yamauchi from developing the game it would never get released. I'm just happy it's coming out this year. Another delay would be too painful for GT fans.

Seeing how well GT3 has sold (OFFLINE.. OMGOMG!) I would not worry about GT4's sales.

Looking forward to GT4. I'd rather have a complete online mode come later then a broken mess that never could be fixed.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Basically this announcement kills incentive. Your casuals won't see much to this installment that GT3 doesn't already offer other than new tracks and adjusted physics.

GT4 was developed with online being it's one and only major innovation, and now it's gone. This was one of the few games I would've ran out and bought the moment I'd be able to. Not now.

For me, it's having to continue to wait even longer to play the perfect racer online. That bothere me

Chittagong

Gold Member
:lol @ Sony, totally humiliated by MS.

Sucks for the team though, I can only imagine the suicidal thougts the producer and lead designer are going through after their core creativity and innovation has been ripped out for business reasons and the fan community hates them for underdelivery.

teiresias

When Sony is making double the profit on the same source code (more or less) I doubt they give much credence to whether or not they were "humiliated" by MS.

Ranger X

Unbelievable. I've never been this angry! This one of the shittiest decision in the whole fucking history of gaming. (ok maybe not that bad, i still remember Nintendo staying with cartridges once)
Man WTF? Why can't they release the game this spring WITH online? They don't care about us. It's 100% cash only for them. This is a move AGAINST GAMING.
Look at some other companies like Ubi Soft; they did push back their BIGGEST game of this year for next spring because of what? Because the game have to be great and that's all!!!! This is the way. Polyphony and Sony don't give a shit about us but they should.
Gran Turismo is so well knowned and praised that another delay wouldn't have hurt it at all. What's more, it would release ouside of christmas time and even sell to those who don't have enough cash to buy the freakin overload of games of this year holidays.

GT4 is the summum of bad decision. If i ever encounter the fucking game designer (that i don't remember his name) i'm gonna fucking kill him and also make sure he suffers in the process. No weather effects - just presets, no cockpit view but they could have easily drop some polygons from the cars here and there to model the interior of the cars. No damage because there's a couple of cocksucking car makers out there who doesn't want to see their car damaged IN A GAME. What's more, even if GT4 have like 80 different car makers, they kill the damage idea instead of dropping the 2-3 car makers that sucks with that. No fucking collision engine that represent the reality. Fucking CPU that are slow and "on a track" = i'm always in front. I'M TIRED OF RACING AGAINST ASPHALT!!!!
ONLINE WAS THE KEY TO PLAY AGAINST HUMANS!!!!

And what's more? They tell us "we are going to sell you this game AGAIN later in 2005"?
FUCK YOU SONY and POLYPHONY. GO FISTFUCK YOURSELVES!

I'll take as a DUTY for the sake of GAMING by not buying GT4. WE SHOULD TRY TO BOYCOTT THEM. If we can change something by the sales, they won't shit in our face anymore. (at least for a time until they supposed we did forget their bad decisions)

shpankey

not an idiot
Dude, they are coming out with an online version... calm down. :) Instead of buying it in Dec. just wait for the online version in 2005. You are no worse off. Although I do agree with a lot of what you say there.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I doubt that the 10 million people who bought each of the previous three OFFLINE games will pass up an offline GT4.

Is it a disappointment? Of course.

Is it a deal breaker (the REAL question)? For existing fans, no.

Gek54

Dissapointing as I just bought a NA and hardrive for GT4. Oh well, HDloader seems to be making up for that right now. Still no online play < 60fps and True Force Feedback ;)

Top Bottom