• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: GT 4 for all in December; no online play.

Shompola

Banned
Gek54 said:
Dissapointing as I just bought a NA and hardrive for GT4. Oh well, HDloader seems to be making up for that right now. Still no online play < 60fps and True Force Feedback ;)

I am sorry but you are no true racing fan if you say that. How can a true racing fan as I thought you were prefer 60fps over online racing? Nothing is as good as online gaming in racers. NOTHING :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Although I'm not the biggest GT fan as I've been more at home with Namco's Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4, GT4 was going to be pretty big simply because of the online aspect.

I will agree that the A.I. is terrible compared to every other racer beyond PSX-N64 era and that playing 6 racers online would be totally awesome, the simply fact is that it won't make a big deal to the general public.. sadly.

So one of Sony's most popular (if not the most popular) brands is not going online, despite Sony touting PS2's online capabilities? That's getting into Nintendo territory....

GC Broadband Adaptor--No online Mario Kart or F-Zero
PS2 Network Adaptor (and now built-in (!) in PSTwo)--No online GT4

Weaksauce.

golem

well i guess the argument that polyphony didnt need to work on AI cuz the game would have online mode has just gone out the window... you will take photo mode and love it!

Insertia

DJ Demon J said:
So one of Sony's most popular (if not the most popular) brands is not going online, despite Sony touting PS2's online capabilities? That's getting into Nintendo territory....

GC Broadband Adaptor--No online Mario Kart or F-Zero
PS2 Network Adaptor (and now built-in (!) in PSTwo)--No online GT4

Weaksauce.

Gran Turismo is going online, just not this fall.

Mario Kart and Fzero are never going online.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sony...wow, after talking about GT4's online function non-stop, they totally fucked this one up. Good job, guys. This online add-on better be:

1) Real
2) Have all 650 cars
3) Deep
4) Compatible with GT4 saves.

Assholes. Thanks again for the false promises.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Folder said:
As director you are accountable for the team and the whole project. Not least in terms of making sure it can deliver its promises and not get out of its depth, no?
Of course. Saying he's perfectionist doesn't remove accountability.

shuri

Banned
mashoutposse said:
I doubt that the 10 million people who bought each of the previous three OFFLINE games will pass up an offline GT4.

You have to realise that console gaming has changed a lot since the releases of the first 3 games. After playing Burnout 3 online (save the EA problems that never happened to me, personally), it's really hard to go back to single player races against the AI. I only play single player to unlock faster car to own people with on xbox live.

Playing online is 60% of the experience nowadays. Winning the race against 5 other human players is a much more gratifying experience than winning against drones on a path.

It's all about the competition. I, for on, i have no interest in unlocking 600 cars if it means that I'll only use them to unlock more cars by winning over AI. There is no point, and it feels like work. Online competition gives you a big motivation. My friend has played Burnout 3 for 2 days straight to unlock everything so he could rape people online with the faster cars to get a better rank

I dont see him doing that to beat a stupid AI

Alcibiades

I think it's a wise move business-wise, as getting whatever they can out of holiday sales by mass/casual consumers probably outweighs whatever audience of the 4-5% of their PS2-online market are going to not get it cause they can't play online (tiny market that would probably get the game anyway if they liked GT3).

Insertia said:
Gran Turismo is going online, just not this fall.

Mario Kart and Fzero are never going online.

Where was this announced? Admittedly, I've been under a rock with game news lately (being banned and unable to read the forum will do that to you), but I don't recall Sony saying GT4 will ever go online.

DJ Demon J said:
Where was this announced? Admittedly, I've been under a rock with game news lately (being banned and unable to read the forum will do that to you), but I don't recall Sony saying GT4 will ever go online.

It's in all the articles that mention that it won't have online when it ships this year. Polyphony is working on an online version right now that'll be released next year.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DJ Demon J said:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/550/550786p1.html

"To make this date, SCE announced that the game would be missing its heavily touted online mode of play. The company plans on releasing a separate Online-compatible version of the game in the future"

I don't think anybody really knows exactly what that means... Whether it's going to be an add-on disk, a separate game, or just a blow-off comment altogether.

Deg

Banned
no doubt a GT online game will come out later ;)

GT is hardly the a good multiplayer game anyway so no big deal for me. The selling point of online in this case was the community aspect.

Subitai

Forza isn't coming out this year though anyway.

This what Sega did, and no one whined.

It's not like Sony is going to be hurting from this either. There are 3 million GT3 owners and 1.5 million online.

Subitai said:
Forza isn't coming out this year though anyway.

This what Sega did, and no one whined.

It's not like Sony is going to be hurting from this either. There are 3 million GT3 owners and 1.5 million online.

Sega doesn't command as large an audience as Sony does. Sega GT isn't Gran Turismo Million-Seller 4. Will GT4 still sell? Of course. The decision would have hurt Sony more had Forza been a 2004 game (and if MS marketed the difference between each game appropriately). If I were MS, I'd rush to get Forza out and marketing blitz it and rag on GT4 for no online.

Gek54

Shompola said:
I am sorry but you are no true racing fan if you say that. How can a true racing fan as I thought you were prefer 60fps over online racing? Nothing is as good as online gaming in racers. NOTHING :)

Because I am more about the driving and setting better times than I am about head to head unless my opponents act porfessionaly.

Alcibiades

DJ Demon J said:
Sega doesn't command as large an audience as Sony does. Sega GT isn't Gran Turismo Million-Seller 4. Will GT4 still sell? Of course. The decision would have hurt Sony more had Forza been a 2004 game (and if MS marketed the difference between each game appropriately). If I were MS, I'd rush to get Forza out and marketing blitz it and rag on GT4 for no online.
Online doesn't command the audience Sony/GT3 did either...

even the high estimates of 10% user-base penetration, not really a big deal compared to all the casuals sales it would pick up during the Fri/Sat./Sun before Christmas...

not only that, but giving the holidays 100% to NFS: U2 would hurt GT4 when it came to attracting the casuals audience (which bought 1.2 million copies of NFS1 December of last year on PS2 alone, and it's still hasn't price dropped yet).

Bob White

It's all about the competition. I, for on, i have no interest in unlocking 600 cars if it means that I'll only use them to unlock more cars by winning over AI. There is no point, and it feels like work. Online competition gives you a big motivation. My friend has played Burnout 3 for 2 days straight to unlock everything so he could rape people online with the faster cars to get a better rank

Nail on the motherfucking head.

SolidSnakex said:
It's in all the articles that mention that it won't have online when it ships this year. Polyphony is working on an online version right now that'll be released next year.

so we get to pay $80 for what should be a $40 game? YAY!

BeOnEdge

Banned
i hope NFSU2, BO3 and OR2, hell i'll even throwMC2 DUB edition in there, all WITH online play, all ARCADE racers cannibalize THE HELL out of GT4s sales.

border

Seems like they would have been better off delaying it into 2005, if the best they can do is deliver it a week before Christmas. At that point they've missed like 85% of the holiday shopping season anyway, and more-or-less neutered the game's ability to sell PS2 systems.

I don't think this will have a huge impact on the sales overall. GT was never very multiplayer-oriented (and the car customization aspect throws balance out the window anyhow). The main draw is the car customization aspects and rpg-ish stuff.

Soul4ger

PhatSaqs said:
They dropped a feature? I wonder if the game will be docked for it in reviews :lol

Why would they? GT2 shipped incomplete and people didn't dock it. At least they're TELLING people this time.

FightyF

Banned
GT was never very multiplayer-oriented (and the car customization aspect throws balance out the window anyhow).

Well, I'm not going to disagree, but I used play 6 player GT3 quite often and it was really fun.

I was hoping that this would be more multiplayer minded (less bumper-car-ish) and support online play.

So does this mean that this game will NEVER support online play?

I bought my NA JUST for this game!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ok, this news really pissed me off. Why not just delay a few months and add online play?

sohka88

so we get to pay $80 for what should be a $40 game? YAY!

yet another post that makes no sense. Why are you buying both? just wait for the release with online play since it has become the most inportant thing ever.

Solid

GSG Flash said:
Ok, this news really pissed me off. Why not just delay a few months and add online play?
Because it's been delayed a whole year already!

If the online mode is so important to you why not just wait a few months and buy the add-on disc later?

Ranger X

efralope said:
I think it's a wise move business-wise, as getting whatever they can out of holiday sales by mass/casual consumers probably outweighs whatever audience of the 4-5% of their PS2-online market are going to not get it cause they can't play online (tiny market that would probably get the game anyway if they liked GT3).

The thing with GT4 is that it's so popular that anyone will buy it at anytime of the year. The only thing they do here is pissing us off online players.
Why sell only one game with all the feature when we know we can sell you 2 games easily? This is what Sony is saying to us and this is exactly why it's shabby business. Can't believe that there's people out there than can approve such business pratices. Capitalism to it's extreme!
GT4 winter will serve as pub for GT4 summer and and they will sell a truckload more out of this game in total. Good for their wallet $$$$$ Fuck them.

I guess I was looking forward to GT4's online community aspect of the game, being able to hang and talk about cars and stuff like that, but I think the car fans will be far outnumbered by the tons of over-competitive online 'gamerz' who just want to get the fastest car in the game and beat everyone, smacktalking and everything along the way. That's kinda the sort of vibe I got when playing Sega GT Online and PRG2 on XBox Live (not to that extreme, but it seemed like everyone practically just drove the same fastest car with the same maxed-out specs).

Because of that, I don't mind GT4 to be without online play for now. It's all about the car-collecting and tweaking them to perform well on the tracks for me. (I'll just leave the talking about cars with others to auto forums for now =P) In a social sense, there's still a long way to go in online console racing where it really reaches the car fans in the mainstream crowd than just your typical tech-savvy gamer crowd. GT4 online could've been a start but I wouldn't expect the internet to change overnight because of it =P

Well, we'll see if that Online GT actually comes out next year...PSP, PS2, or maybe even moved to PS3...it's all good, I'll be picking up whatever versions of GT that come out here anyways...I love the GT series because of the car fan in me and how the game appeals to that, not totally cuz of the gamer in me =P

(I guess I'm trying to rationalize to myself the lack of online play in GT4 =P)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Why should everyone be made to wait? I get the game now as-is, you get the game in a couple of months with online features intact. No need to delay the whole thing if that's the only hold up. Believe me, the backlash would have been far more severe if it was an outright delay of the whole game.

650+ cars and 50+ tracks not including mirror/reverse versions -- that's a shitload of content to keep yourself busy until the online portion is available. At least now everyone can get back into GT gameplay and build up their garages before rushing online armed with a Honda Civic and rusty driving skills.

hgplayer1

this is really disappointing for me. I was so ready for this to come out online and be able to race against other players with the GT engine. I wish they would give some more specifics about what it is thats giving them problems. for some reason I wasnt even expecting much from the online mode. I wonder how many options youll have in regards to setting up races? If they get EVERYTHING right when they are done then the wait will be well worth it but if they have stupid shit like not being able to create a lobby and not being able to change settings without closing the game then its just gonna be a waste of time. I think they really better nail it and not put a bigger chink in their armor than they already have.

other MUSTS for online.....

wheel support

user created lobbies with optional passwords

ability to set car/class/settings limitations

every player in the race should have the option to finish the race no matter how far behind they are

some kind of session pts system

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
GamePnoy74 said:
(I guess I'm trying to rationalize to myself the lack of online play in GT4 =P)

No, you just wrote the most sensible post in this crazy thread ;)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I've never been a GT fan, or a sim fan of any sort, but I understand some of the dissappointment. There's also a lot of exagerations in this thread. The way I see it...

The bad news:
GT4 Online delayed until 2005. Which is what rumors and speculation have been saying for some time. This isn't a major suprise.

The good new:
GT4 will still be released this year.

The game everybody on this forum wanted was delay, but the game the majority of people would have taken advantage is not. Would you guys rather they delay everything and make everyone wait?

Now, if GT4Online never materializes... then IMO the bitching is totally justified.

Gek54

hgplayer1 said:
other MUSTS for online.....

every player in the race should have the option to finish the race no matter how far behind they are

That wont work for those yahoos who give up and just do donuts. I would go for a 5-10 timer to go off after the first person finnishes before that race ends. I would go for cars become ghosts if you are about to lap them, to protect you from these sloppy players.

hgplayer1

Gek54 said:
That wont work for those yahoos who give up and just do donuts. I would go for a 5-10 timer to go off after the first person finnishes before that race ends. I would go for cars become ghosts if you are about to lap them, to protect you from these sloppy players.

I agree. I wasnt thinking so much give the players an unlimited time to finish but more like dont end the race as soon as someone has won. I think Sega GT Online did this.

Agent X

mashoutposse said:
I doubt that the 10 million people who bought each of the previous three OFFLINE games will pass up an offline GT4.

Is it a disappointment? Of course.

Is it a deal breaker (the REAL question)? For existing fans, no.

I agree. It's a huge disappointment that this game won't have online play, but I think most people who wanted the game will still get it anyway. I still intend to get it!

GSG Flash said:

At first, I was thinking the same thing. But, after giving it some thought, this plan just might work. If it was the online mode that was holding up the release of the game, then they might as well do it the way they're doing it now. People who want to play Gran Turismo 4 will be able to do so in the very near future, while people who only intend to play online can wait a little while longer for the online disc to be released. Hey, it worked for Twisted Metal: Black.

My main criticism would be something that Wyzdom pointed out: Sony is essentially double-dipping by making hardcore fans pay once for the game, then pay again to take the game online. They can probably remedy the pain somewhat if they did something bold, like making the online disc available for free (or at least at a hefty discount) to early buyers. For example, you could preorder the game, and then you'd get a coupon that entitles you to a cheap/free online disc.

On the other hand, I disagree with the notion that this is some sort of shady business practice. They're putting this issue out front and center, nearly three months before the game's release. They're hiding nothing. Maybe it's not the smartest move, or the move a lot of people would want...but shady it is certainly not.

Simply put: if you don't want it, don't buy it. Nobody's twisting your arm to get Gran Turismo 4 right away. There are plenty of other great online racing games that you can get instead.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Yoshi said:

I see your LOL and raise you
lol.gif

I was looking forward to buying this game and enjoying it online, especially with the new Formula 1 cars and the full version of Nurburgring. But this....this move is just...*pukes*...unbelievable on PD's part. I mean what the fuck are they thinking? Oh well, in a way, this is a blessing in disguise, since I had absolutely NO idea how I was going to juggle between GT4 and OutRun 2. Now I don't have to worry about GT4 and can focus all my time on OR2. No big deal. :)

Oh and OMGWTFBBQ I can't wait to see G4/TechTV's Judgement Day review of this game :lol Tommy's gonna go apeshit over them pulling out online play :lol

Wyzdom said:
Unbelievable. I've never been this angry! .............
FUCK YOU SONY and POLYPHONY. GO FISTFUCK YOURSELVES!

Gawd DAYUM! :lol Calm down playa!:lol

jett said:
That's just pathetic.

Kinda like you? :)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Man, if you're going to import your posts from TNL, don't include quotations from people that don't post here.

shuri

Banned
:lol

And for the guy that said that multiplayer would suck because of the whole customisation angle, holy shit, that would be the whole point of it. Applying all sorts of tweaks and then trying it online -- now that would own

Top Bottom