• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all same-sex married couples if he's elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

At first, I cannot understand why someone this stupid is given so much attention.
On a second though, I guess that it's yet another example of a very widespread celebrity culture.

I'm guessing he wouldn't be at this point if a large deal of people didn't take him seriously? Maybe the celebrity culture is in part responsible for taking him this far, though.

Because marriage is more than a religious binding now. It's symbolic. People want to be married, not in a civil union.

I think the push for gay marriage over civil unions is just one front in the drive to have homosexuality in general culturally accepted as being as normal as heterosexuality.

I don't see a problem with it.

And yet, I'm not in the camp that goes apeshit with hate towards those who disagree, because time and trends are against them, and they're not going to have to power to force others to live by their beliefs.

seems kinda immoral.

btw, whats up with the all these right-wing Christian anti-gay groups with euphemistic names like "Family Research Council", "American Family Association" , "Focus On The Family" etc?

imagine the backlash youd get if you opposed something thats named "american family association", regardless of what they stand for

"why do you hate american families????"
"you dont like families? fuck you!"

etc. etc.

its kind of genius, really.

Bombadil

Banned
Because it's something government probably shouldn't be meddling in to begin with. Yes, this country was "built" on that principle, as much as it was slavery. Doesn't mean we should be doing it in 2012.

There are so many factors you're neglecting.

When two people get married, the government recognizes them as belonging to a family. This has major financial and social implications.

If you don't think marriage/civil unions are important, that's fine. Don't get married, then. But why bring that up in a thread about people who WANT to get married?

It's not as if someone else's marriage is detrimental to you, is it?

seems kinda immoral.

btw, whats up with the all these right-wing Christian anti-gay groups with euphemistic names like "Family Research Council", "American Family Association" , "Focus On The Family" etc?

If you're a bigoted, rightwing, racist, xenophobic, islamophobic, or hateful association of any kind, it's pretty much a prerequisite that you have 'Family', 'Values', and 'Freedom' in your name. Oh, and 'Florida' helps too. I think it's some sick inside joke.

Suairyu

Banned
As much as he's absolutely horrific, he's correct in saying:
""We can't have 50 different marriage laws in this country," he said. "You have to have one marriage law.""

A matter so fundamentally important to civil rights shouldn't be able to be decided on a per-state basis. Government should guarantee it for everyone.

Marriage belongs to everybody. If the government has to enforce it then so be it.

Government needs to recognize the legal contract that is associated with marriage, but it should have no say in who can form those contracts or what they can call their relationship, as long as those contracts don't infringe on the rights of others (e.g., both parties must be consenting adults, etc.).

Arment

I think the push for gay marriage over civil unions is just one front in the drive to have homosexuality in general culturally accepted as being as normal as heterosexuality.

I don't see a problem with it.

And yet, I'm not in the camp that goes apeshit with hate towards those who disagree, because time and trends are against them, and they're not going to have to power to force others to live by their beliefs.

Indeed. The next 30 years should be very inspiring. As the older generation leaves positions of power those raised to be more accepting will replace them.

Even so, I know people my age just as hateful and bigoted as an embittered 90 year old racist so we still have a long way to go.

lexi

Banned

Fascism parades under the banner of 'Family' these days. It's like that in Australia, too.

Emitan

""We can't have 50 different marriage laws in this country," he said. "You have to have one marriage law.""

A matter so fundamentally important to civil rights shouldn't be able to be decided on a per-state basis. Government should guarantee it for everyone.

It's just funny that he's diametrically opposed to those kinds of laws though.

Pyrokai

That statement about saying that at one time many people thought of blacks as less than human.....how can he realize he's the one saying this right now? I just don't understand.

Please tell me Obama will win in November. Though he's not the greatest, I don't think I could handle any of these people. I would seriously weep for the country.

I just....I just don't get it. How can so many people be so bigoted? It boggles my mind.

loosus

Banned
There are so many factors you're neglecting.

When two people get married, the government recognizes them as belonging to a family. This has major financial and social implications.
We can find ways around that very easily. Recognizing a family does not hinge on the marriage of two people. Certainly, even now there are many groups of people we call "families" who have not a single married couple in them.

If you don't think marriage/civil unions are important, that's fine. Don't get married, then. But why bring that up in a thread about people who WANT to get married?

It's not as if someone else's marriage is detrimental to you, is it?
I'm neutral on the concept of two people being together in a contract-binding monogamous relationship. That doesn't mean government should recognize you as such, though. You can have contracts without marriage.

Dariee

What I'm reading is 'Santorum wants couples to divorce'.

Keep it going; now the same-sex-rights-activists and conservative bigots won't like you anymore. How to piss of everyone in just a single speech.

Rapstah

Fascism parades under the banner of 'Family' these days. It's like that in Australia, too.

Fascism has always been about family and safety, no "these days" is really needed. Whether this is fascism is arguable, but it's fanatical, sure.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
GOP is approaching pseudo facism or suicide. Hopefully the latter. United States needs a much better party to keep the Dems in check.

Rick Santorum says more stupid shit. News at 11.

And he's a front runner for the GOP nomination. He isn't fringe. He's mainstream GOP. That's why this is so significant. Or maybe we'll see the GOP reject him on Tuesday.

Enron

Banned
Enjoy that 10% drop in the polls again, Ricky.

Also - what the fuck at the comments about Republican suicide and the like - Republicans don't even really like this guy. Every time he starts talking, his numbers drop.

Arment

We can find ways around that very easily. Recognizing a family does not hinge on the marriage of two people. Certainly, even now there are many groups of people we call "families" who have not a single married couple in them.

I'm neutral on the concept of two people being together in a contract-binding monogamous relationship. That doesn't mean government should recognize you as such, though. You can have contracts without marriage.

You can, but people don't want them they want marriage. Civil unions are just another way to say, "Here, you can have a lesser version of our thing but we're keeping our old thing." It's another way to say what you're doing isn't right. That's how I interpret that, though.

Government needs to recognize the legal contract that is associated with marriage, but it should have no say in who can form those contracts or what they can call their relationship, as long as those contracts don't infringe on the rights of others (e.g., both parties must be consenting adults, etc.).

As long as every marriage is equal. No one should be able to say, "Oh, my marriage is real because I was married by a priest/rabbi/imam." etc Legally, everything should be the same under the eye of the law.

I disagree. The peculiarities of marriage laws have always been the domain of the states to decide upon. If we're going to change that we should go ahead and pass a federal marriage amendment instead of halfassing it so it can later be declared unconstitutional when some states inevitably challenges it

loosus

Banned
You can, but people don't. Civil unions are just another way to say, "Here, you can have a lesser version of our thing but we're keeping our old thing." It's another way to say what you're doing isn't right. That's how I interpret that, though.
You know, this probably would be resolved if government got out of the business of recognizing marriages, right?

Puddles

Banned
Once again, I find myself in agreement with Chinner:

I'd say that a lot of things need to be decided at the federal level. Health policy, labor policy, etc. The global marketplace is too competitive these days for individual states to also compete against each other.

A Republican is calling for Federal government overreach and wants the Federal government to tell people how to run their lives, I'm SHOCKED.

lenovox1

How could you sleep at night knowing you un-married thousands of people? Pure fucking evil.

Oh, that's easy. He doesn't consider gay couples that are married to really be married in the first place. Getting an amendment through (LOL) would simply be making that official.

Arment

You know, this probably would be resolved if government got out of the business of recognizing marriages, right?

I don't think it would be though. It sounds more like religious people want government out of the marriage process to meet their end goals.

Let me in

Let the states decide, oh wait only on certain things; I'm for states rights, well only certain rights; government shouldn't be telling us how to live our lives, well if you're gay and married we're going to tell you that it's wrong; government shouldn't be intervening into private health affairs, government needs to intervene in the personal lives of individuals if they're gay.

The hypocrisy is killing me.

pA3rY.gif

loosus

Banned
I don't think it would be though. It sounds more like religious people want government out of the marriage process to meet their end goals.

I'm religious, and I want government out of the marriage process because I'm not completely comfortable with the government having a hand in being able to dictate who I can marry, be it man or woman.

This is a government institution that we no longer need. If you want to have a marriage ceremony, feel free. You don't need government's permission through a marriage license to do so.

Puddles

Banned
Hypocrisy on federalism is par for the course for both parties, unfortunately.

There is a difference.

Liberals want big government where it makes sense: addressing societal problems and needs in sectors where the private market is ineffective or produces unacceptable outcomes.

Conservatives want big government where it doesn't make sense: imposing the same set of morals on everybody, regulating what goes into your body, etc.

"Just because public opinion says something doesn't mean it's right," he said in the NBC interview. "I'm sure there were times in areas of this country when people said blacks were less than human."

No words, holy shit

Oh, that's easy. He doesn't consider gay couples that are married to really be married in the first place. Getting an amendment through (LOL) would simply be making official.

Still, it's one thing to be against the marriages (although still idiotic), but having no qualms to annul already performed weddings of people? How can you not have any empathy and simply ruin a whole bunch of people's lives?!

It goes to show that next to being an idiot, you simply have to have a malfunction in the brain/heart to see nothing wrong with this.

Korey

Republican Party needs to take a long hard look at itself if this is the best they can do....seriously. It's almost a joke.

Republican Party needs to take a long hard look at itself if this is the best they can do....seriously. It's almost a joke.

Almost? They past almost during the 08 elections. Now they're just a bunch of circus clowns fighting for the right to be in the ring.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Still, it's one thing to be against the marriages (although still idiotic), but having no qualms to annul already performed weddings of people? How can you not have any empathy and simply ruin a whole bunch of people's lives?!

Its not like they're real people silly

Wait, aren't Republicans usually FOR small government and State's Rights>Federal power? Don't they constantly call for the Federal government to stay out of the lives of citizens?

Arment

Wait, aren't Republicans usually FOR small government and State's Rights>Federal power? Don't they constantly call for the Federal government to stay out of the lives of citizens?

To be fair they only interfere when the libruls try to have their way.

Septimius

The fact that this guy is seriously considered as a possible president by the US makes my soul cry out in anguish. I mean, my corporeal self will just continue with the popcorn and hope for a spectacular crash and burn for the country, but my soul hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom