• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all same-sex married couples if he's elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

What a lunatic. He even compares it to the civil rights movement... apparently is stripping people from rights just the same as giving them rights.

I'm religious, and I want government out of the marriage process because I'm not completely comfortable with the government having a hand in being able to dictate who I can marry, be it man or woman.

This is a government institution that we no longer need. If you want to have a marriage ceremony, feel free. You don't need government's permission through a marriage license to do so.

You seem to be neglecting all of the economic and legal implications of marriages. What do you propose, political mastermind?

ezrarh

When a supervillain can become president, you know the system is fucked up.

I don't know if it's even the system. The big money Republicans don't exactly want Santorum. He's just a representation of what part of our electorate has become. Although the mess that is the Republican primaries doesn't help.

Sleepy

The fact that this guy is seriously considered as a possible president by the US makes my soul cry out in anguish. I mean, my corporeal self will just continue with the popcorn and hope for a spectacular crash and burn for the country, but my soul hurts.

gallery_83989_34758_5493428924d4e5953159cc.gif

When a supervillain can become president, you know the system is fucked up.

Who has said anything about him becoming president? The majority of American voters would reject him in a general election.

Thankfully he is going to lose the nomination, so it isn't even a possibility.

loosus

Banned

Quickly looking through the list, the grand majority can be resolved through standard contracts, and others would require slight reworkings of existing laws. For example, for Medicaid continuation would simply require the worker to designate someone to receive the benefit before death. Many state pensions already do this.

Again, I see no reason why state-sponsored marriage is necessary.

Quickly looking through the list, the grand majority can be resolved through standard contracts, and others would require slight reworkings of existing laws. For example, for Medicaid continuation would simply require the worker to designate someone to receive the benefit before death. Many state pensions already do this.

Again, I see no reason why state-sponsored marriage is necessary.

Then abolish marriage all together as a legal institution. As it stands, it is a legal right that you don't get to deny another person simply because your religion doesn't like it.

mj1108

Wait, aren't Republicans usually FOR small government and State's Rights>Federal power? Don't they constantly call for the Federal government to stay out of the lives of citizens?

Republicans only want big government when it suits their own agenda. Otherwise they scream "states rights!".

marrec

Banned
This guy sounds more and more like a GAF troll everyday.

Maybe its all a big joke that's gone horribly wrong.

loosus

Banned
Um, wow.

Romney, please kick this man's ass. He's given you plenty of ammo.

Are you kidding me? He'll probably try to one-up him. "Let's deport all these homos to Mexico!"

Except that won't happen, because it's too engrained in out legal system/culture.
Shouldn't be. Anyone who truly believes in separation of church and state should be salivating at the prospects of removing marriage from government.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, more feeder for the "social conservatism is the most vile political persuasion on Earth, and anyone who subscribes to such a philosophy is automatically inferior by definition."

*click*

bengraven

I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt and trying to respect his beliefs...

but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooooooooou Santorum.

So full of hate.

I showed this to my father. Who is a Repub. Just looks at me and says "If that fucking idiot wins I am voting for Obama." Which I find funny because he said the same thing about Mitt. So I guess the GOP has hurt itself so much that a 73 year old life long rep is going to vote for the other team.

Um, wow.

Romney, please kick this man's ass. He's given you plenty of ammo.

Well that's a funny thing. Santorum has been driving the crazy train full speed for a couple weeks now and Romney still can't quite seal the deal.

A lot of the Super Tuesday states are in the South so perhaps Rick is trying to turn it up another notch to get some of those states

I showed this to my father. Who is a Repub. Just looks at me and says "If that fucking idiot wins I am voting of Obama." Which I find funny because he said the same thing about Mitt. So I guess the GOP has hurt itself so much that a 73 year old life long rep is going to vote for the other team.
The soon-to-be brokered convention is gonna be LEGENDARY.

I showed this to my father. Who is a Repub. Just looks at me and says "If that fucking idiot wins I am voting of Obama." Which I find funny because he said the same thing about Mitt. So I guess the GOP has hurt itself so much that a 73 year old life long rep is going to vote for the other team.

Somehow this made me laugh out loud.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Ah, more feeder for the "social conservatism is the most vile political persuasion on Earth, and anyone who subscribes to such a philosophy is automatically inferior by definition."

*click*

For once I agree wholeheartedly with Amir0x.

Social conservatives are the lowest of scum.

Wilsongt

Somebody enters a topic and has nothing else to say but 'News at 11'. News at 11

I don't think Rick Santorum deserves a lot of people saying too much about him, honestly. He's been saying a lot of stupid shit for the last few weeks. At this point, it's becoming less of an outrage and more of a "Same shit, different day" occurrence with him.

Christ, what if Romney chooses him as a vp.
There's no reason for him to do that; there are plenty of socially conservative Republicans who don't have Santorum's baggage. And selecting someone known wholly for their social conservatism will undercut Romney's economic focus, so that strikes me as an unlikely path for him to tread.

Isn't Rick Santorum a flaming homosexual though?
Give it like five years.

I still don't get this rampant conception in the US that marriage is some sort of sacred innocent institution. Historically, marriage is one of the least sacred institutions around. It's been used to gain power, money, abused over and over again. Not to mention divorce rates these days.

I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom