• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr cast as Doctor Doom in Avengers: Doomsday, dir. Russo Bros, May 2026

jason10mm

Gold Member
I am not sure if changing the actor in 90s would do a trick. Indiana Jones was just too attached to HF identity. Personally I think Indiana Jones won't work as a different actor as long as HF is alive.
Ford dying wouldn't allow his essence to transfer to a new actor. A young Indy (it's not like we haven't see 3 other actors play him) starting as a grad student under Ravenwood, meeting a teen Marion, juggling his desire for fortune and glory with academic research and developing a moral code, THAT'S what audences want.

The only think you'd have to handwave away is the notion that Raiders and the Ark (or really Temple with the Sankara stones) is the FIRST time Indy has seen something faith based/spiritual/supernatural. But X-files showed us how to do it, Indy is a skeptic, there is an explanation for everything or the magic goes unwitnessed, not every story has to have gods in it, and the more believer types are his rotating group of companions.

But anyway, to relate this back to RDJ as Doom, I don't think RDJ would come back just to be a voice, he doesn't really have such a unique delivery style that he's an obvious choice, so they are paying him to BE Doom, which means no mask. RDJ has been a snarky actor practically his whole career, it's what he does best, and I gotta think that's where he'll take Doom. It'll be Stark 2.0 within 2 films, guaranteed.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
-Avengers not being paid and what that spun off into was just outright dumb.
-Falcon being a cunt toward John was out of character and unnecessary.
-Falcon’s double-standards on killing was extremely hypocritical.
-Falcon’s stance on the super serum and disrespect toward both John and Steve for taking it, despite the lore of needing it to handle the shield was dumb.

And the overall storyline was just uninteresting.
Being, essentially, vigilantes and not being paid (after Tony's death and after not being alive for 5 years) wasn't dumb.

Sam AND Bucky didn't like John because they didn't like the idea of Capt America being under control of the government. Steve CERTAINLY wasn't a govt pawn.

Sam is not Steve. Yes, he's killed because he had to. He didn't WANT to kill what was basically kids. There's a difference.

Sam didn't want to take the serum because he didn't believe in artificial enhancement. The serum isn't needed for the shield (John didn't have it at first either and he handled the shield well). And Steve took the serum because he wanted to help in the fight against the Axis powers. He was a sickly little guy who could barely survive basic training... He was CHOSEN because of his heart and courage. Which is why Steve chose Sam.

bitbydeath

Being, essentially, vigilantes and not being paid (after Tony's death and after not being alive for 5 years) wasn't dumb.

Sam AND Bucky didn't like John because they didn't like the idea of Capt America being under control of the government. Steve CERTAINLY wasn't a govt pawn.

Sam is not Steve. Yes, he's killed because he had to. He didn't WANT to kill what was basically kids. There's a difference.

Sam didn't want to take the serum because he didn't believe in artificial enhancement. The serum isn't needed for the shield (John didn't have it at first either and he handled the shield well). And Steve took the serum because he wanted to help in the fight against the Axis powers. He was a sickly little guy who could barely survive basic training... He was CHOSEN because of his heart and courage. Which is why Steve chose Sam.
-The Avengers was always government sanctioned, if they weren’t then they would have been at war with the people of Earth.

-That’s no excuse to make Sam into a bad person. Steve was most certainly a govt pawn. Cpt America was created by the govt.

-I was referring to Sam and John. It’s alright for Sam to mass murder people but John gets the stick for one person.

-John being able to use the shield without the serum doesn’t make it any better, and if you saw the comments for the recent Cap trailer you would have seen a lot of comments pointing out how Sam is now acting like a super soldier without the serum. It all could have made more sense if he just took it in the show. And Sam should have just accepted the role of being Cap from the beginning so it had less filler.

The problem with the show is that it makes Sam look like a complete jerk, when it was likely just to fill time on a show they didn’t need.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Even Pepper Potts is baffled by this announcement 😄
WQeZjCx.png

TGO

She didn't even know what movies she was in. LMBO!
Exactly, if she doesn't get it how the hell do you expect modern MCU fans to understand it 😏
I'm sure there is more to it and it'll make more sense when they actually make it.
I don't think we are gonna see someone that looks like Tony Stark in the actual film.

Doom85

Exactly, if she doesn't get it how the hell do you expect modern MCU fans to understand it 😏

You’re not following, she has been infamous for being clueless about even more basic elements of these films, like not realizing Samuel L Jackson was in them until shooting the final scenes for Avengers Endgame.

And no, audiences will not be confused, no one was confused when they pulled a similar stunt for Deadpool and Wolverine regarding certain characters.

Doom85

I don't think we are gonna see someone that looks like Tony Stark in the actual film.

We most likely won’t, Victor is known for having his face seriously damaged from an explosion that occurred while he was in college with Reed (Victor was making a machine to communicate with his dead mother, and it malfunctioned and exploded). So as an adult, RDJ’s face even if unmasked will be seriously damaged, and I imagine for college flashbacks they’ll use a young 20’s actor who looks like they could grow up to resemble RDJ but I doubt it would so similar as to be distracting.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

You’re not following, she has been infamous for being clueless about even more basic elements of these films, like not realizing Samuel L Jackson was in them until shooting the final scenes for Avengers Endgame.
I am completely aware of this.
And I was joking regarding the fanbase that literally love everything they shit out these days.
I really hope this the turning point for them.
And I ain't ignoring NWH & DP&W, I just don't think they really count.

kunonabi

So now they are not only reusing ideas, they are also reusing the actual actors huh
That's been going on for some time. civil war mom, Michelle Yeoh, Gemma Chan, the guy that is supposed to play Blade and probably somebody else I'm forgetting. This is just the single most visible and retarded example of it if this isn't just a smokescreen for him being an evil stark or whatever.

Lambogenie

If it's a Goku Black thing, I'll still accept it.

But I'd prefer they stick their words and he is Victor and acts completely differently. It'll prove his range.

To be fair, he played a white dude playing a black dude amazingly so we shouldn't doubt.

Separately, this guy looks more Jeremy Irons with each passing day, blimey.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct “Avengers: Doomsday” and “Avengers: Secret Wars” and “significantly more” for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles. The Russos’ deal doesn’t include back-end compensation, but it does contain performance escalators that kick in at the $750 million and $1 billion thresholds. The brothers also will produce the two films via their AGBO banner. That marks something of a departure for Marvel, which typically doesn’t work with outside producers, preferring to keep the team in house.

Still, some changes are in order. While the Russo brothers’ previous two “Avengers” movies shot in Atlanta, the new outings will be filmed in London beginning in the second quarter of 2025.

Paparazzi am cry.

Sources say Downey, who is repped by WME, agreed to return to the MCU if the Russos, who are CAA clients, would be directing. “They were the only ones he would work with,” says a source familiar with the dealmaking.

Paparazzi am cry.
If it does not scream "emergency", then nothing else does.

But it is hilarious that Kang failed to become a threat while Thanos just appeared without any other movies and stole the show. The problem with MCU is that always boils down to the same characters and all other characters are just not that popular.

The hilarious part is that the next Avengers can feature all the characters from the first phases without a single one from the fourth+ and it will do fine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If it does not scream "emergency", then nothing else does.

But it is hilarious that Kang failed to become a threat while Thanos just appeared without any other movies and stole the show. The problem with MCU is that always boils down to the same characters and all other characters are just not that popular.

Doom was always going to be in Secret Wars, but when Majors got convicted they had to pivot to him sooner. Hell, Doom was in Wakanda Forever in a post-credit scene they cut out. The scene showed Lake Bell's character reporting to him, he was the one who hired her to search for the Vibranium.

And Thanos was in three movies before Infinity War: The Avengers, Age of Ultron, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Doom will likely be in Fantastic Four before Doomsday.

Celcius

°Temp. member

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

"Robert Downey Jr. has broken his silence on playing the MCU's Doctor Doom, confirming he is indeed playing Victor Von Doom rather than a Tony Stark Variant."

Happy about that

I hope Marvel Studios learned their lesson from the failures of Phase 4 and Phase 5 (Other than Loki and Deadpool And Wolverine)

We shall see how Captain America 4, Thunderbolts and Fantastic Four does next year

I'm wondering though how much Captain America 4 will make at the box office since it's Sam Wilson as Cap. That's the real test. I'm curious about that movie especially since it will finally prove if Sam Wilson as Cap is able to help the film succeed at the box office. If it ends up not succeeding

Frustrated World Cup GIF

And this time they won't be able to hide the numbers like they did with The Falcon show on Disney Plus

Also Deadpool And Wolverine making over a billion and from what I heard from one of my friends is not woke at all should send a big message to Disney and Marvel Studios. I hope that is 👀

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

"Robert Downey Jr. has broken his silence on playing the MCU's Doctor Doom, confirming he is indeed playing Victor Von Doom rather than a Tony Stark Variant."
I don't believe it. 80 mill so he can play a totally different character does NOT MAKE SENSE. His draw is IRON MAN, not that he is the only human that can pull off Dr. Doom. He'll be a Tony Stark variant within 2 films, mark my words.

jason10mm

Gold Member
We shall see how Captain America 4, Thunderbolts and Fantastic Four does next year
I think Cap4 will do ok probably 700-800 mill worldwide.

Which will be a BOMB because this film cost like 350 MILLION due to reshoots, plus 100-150 mill marketing, so it needs to clear a BILLION to make $$$ for the mouse.

Maybe they have more room to grow, like teasing a green vs red Hulk battle, Thor showing up, and an extended came by Deadpool, but if they are resting their hopes on Sam and 80 year old Harrison Ford...yikes. By Feb all that Deadpool 3 good will would have vanished, unless the Agatha show can sustain it....not likely.

As fir Thubderbolts, no idea what that will look like. And F4 hasn't but barely started, let's see how it goes.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I think Cap4 will do ok probably 700-800 mill worldwide.

Which will be a BOMB because this film cost like 350 MILLION due to reshoots, plus 100-150 mill marketing, so it needs to clear a BILLION to make $$$ for the mouse.

Maybe they have more room to grow, like teasing a green vs red Hulk battle, Thor showing up, and an extended came by Deadpool, but if they are resting their hopes on Sam and 80 year old Harrison Ford...yikes. By Feb all that Deadpool 3 good will would have vanished, unless the Agatha show can sustain it....not likely.

As fir Thubderbolts, no idea what that will look like. And F4 hasn't but barely started, let's see how it goes.

Oh I know that film has to make over a billion and I don't think it will due to picking a fight with the white audience who at that time comprised most of the people who were fans of MCU. With certain agendas being pushed in The Falcon And The Winter Soldier, I think Marvel Studios permanently lost that audience. Which is their own fault since they should have taken those agenda politics out of that show and it would have been so much better received..

As for what I think of Captain America 4, I'm happy with the details that have come out about the movie but I wonder if it will hit even a billion. Like I said before they really alienated the White audience that was there from the beginning with that Falcon Show. And America is predominantly white and I'm a Brown guy and even I know that people from my own race don't watch stuff that's aimed at them. And I'm also curious how it's gonna to do internationally since China I'm pretty sure is still a big market for them

But what I hope for Captain America 4 is that since a certain metal is mentioned that they start showing soldiers with abilities from a certain program. Also I think they should market that the movie has mutants in it. Yes it would spoil the movie but Marvel Studios have been in bad shape recently. Yes Deadpool And Wolverine made over a billion but it shows Marvel Studios that people want mutants and no agenda pushing

As for me, I'm not interested in watching any movies in theaters next year

Maybe Fantastic Four, The Batman Part Two or Superman

But those are all Superhero films which I would rather wait for them to come to Streaming personally

Last edited:
Top Bottom