• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr cast as Doctor Doom in Avengers: Doomsday, dir. Russo Bros, May 2026

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I really can't wait until this multiverse saga bullshit is over and the writers will be forced to use their fucking brains when writing future movies. They're leaning on the multiverse shenanigans too much as a "get out of jail free" card.

They've BARELY leaned into it. Only Loki, Doctor Strange 2, SLIGHTLY Antman and the Wasp 3 (really just the quantum realm) and Deadpool have leaned into it. Everything else has been a self contained story.

And what's lazy about multiverse? Nothing! One of the best Marvel comic stories is Secret Wars (2).

Wait, I’m confused.

Does this mean that Tony Stark is some sort of multiverse version of Doctor Doom? Like the Doom helmet is an evil Iron Man armor set?

Or is RDJ cast as Victor Von Doom, the leader of Latveria and this has nothing to do with Tony Stark/Iron Man?

Trogdor1123

Its just from another universe. If they do it right, it will just be how a small event in one universe made one a hero and another a villain.

If to be a tough on for them to do, especially for current Disney. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm not convinced. Has this been confirmed? I question it because the Ruso brothers said when RDJ was revealed that this is:

"Proof of the unimaginable possibilities in the Marvel multi universe...."

That wording suggests that this is a version of Stark who became Dr Doom.
"We give you the one person who could play Victor von Doom."

FunkMiller

I'm not convinced. Has this been confirmed? I question it because the Ruso brothers said when RDJ was revealed that this is:

"Proof of the unimaginable possibilities in the Marvel multi universe...."

It's bizarre, but apparently its Von Doom. So... what? Are we going to have Avengers wondering why the fuck he looks exactly like Tony Stark? Or is he never taking the mask off?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Still not convinced. He isn't the only person who could play Doom. There must be another reason RDJ is playing this role. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's bizarre, but apparently its Von Doom. So... what? Are we going to have Avengers wondering why the fuck he looks exactly like Tony Stark? Or is he never taking the mask off?

If he really is Victor and has nothing to do with Stark then I'd say the mask stays on. Otherwise it'll just be really bizarre to see Tony Stark under the mask.

Shouta

I'd rather that he never take the mask off since Doom is in it the vast majority of the time anyway.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I wonder if him looking like Tony Stark means that others will think that he is Tony or not. "Mr Stark..."

The ultimate goal is to bring people to theaters and Wolverine demonstrated that bringing back legendary characters (and actors) works great. Like would Wolverine be successful without Hugh Jackman? Ryan Reynolds would have brought people to theaters, but Logan I think had a very strong pull there too. Arguably the whole first three phases of MCU was successful due to Chris Evans, RDJ and (debatable) Chris Hemsworth. Though I think it was mainly due to Chris Evans and RDJ.

And now with Doom they have no time to establish him a character, they have no time to make Fantastic Four more popular than it is now. RDJ immensely elevated Iron Man as IP - after all before Iron Man 1 it has never been that popular character.

P.S. I find it more hilarious that Era is unhappy that they did not cast Romani actor.

I agree with everything you said here. And Era is straight comedy!

It’s the multiverse. Clearly he’s a variant of Tony Stark that took the wrong path.
The Russos said he's Victor von Doom.

ck0-bugs.gif

jcorb

Jesus christ, Disney is truly creatively bankrupt.

lol, I love RDJ, he was incredible as Tony Stark and he’s a great actor. But nobody wants to see the same actor playing Dr. Doom.

Doom85

If the Russos flat out said he’s Victor, then that’s that. Obviously if we get flashbacks to his time in college with Reed, they’ll use a different actor, but for modern Doom he can stay masked and even when he isn’t, Victor’s face would be permanently damaged from the machine (that he designed to try to communicate with his deceased mother) when it exploded so Downey’s face should be near unrecognizable. So even if he unmasks, nobody will be going, “hey, you look like…..”

Esca

Ugh. This just makes me not want to watch it already. Not a fan of this multiverse crap since they can bring anyone back for anything so the impact of a character don't it whatever has like no impact cause they can just do some multiverse shit

Toons

The response to this across the internet has been interesting to witness.

I for one am excited, but I have my theories on how this is gonna play out.

I do think RDJ will he surprisingly great in the role. Hes a better actor than a lot give him credit for even before Oppenheimer

Toons

They've BARELY leaned into it. Only Loki, Doctor Strange 2, SLIGHTLY Antman and the Wasp 3 (really just the quantum realm) and Deadpool have leaned into it. Everything else has been a self contained story.

And what's lazy about multiverse? Nothing! One of the best Marvel comic stories is Secret Wars (2).

Yea you csn really tell who's new to comics storytelling. Multiverse has been a staple for *decades* in comics and is the entire basis for the current framework state of almost every character you know

Its practically a necessity for long form ongoing storytelling to make any sense. And the thing is people understand the basic idea. If you were a kid and could tell the difference between Joker dying in Batman 1989 and continuing to be alive in the comics, you already got the basic concept down. Different universe. Different versions of the same character. Thats it.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I wonder what financial percentage he is getting. 10 percent of gross maybe.

I think this is a bad move. Diminishing his iron man role.

Hard pass for me. I like RDJ and he is a great actor but I would like to see other good actor in key roles. He, Evans and Helmsworth carried the original avengers saga. New set of actors should carry the new avengers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is a ZERO % chance that the Doom/Stark connection won't be INSTRUMENTAL to whatever story they have cooked up. You guys saying otherwise are only gaslighting each other.

StueyDuck

This feels like some sort of misdirect... either way too little too late.

Maybe if F4 is any good it might reinvigorate the mcu but mostly this is just like "meh"

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is a ZERO % chance that the Doom/Stark connection won't be INSTRUMENTAL to whatever story they have cooked up. You guys saying otherwise are only gaslighting each other.
It could be the MCU version of Arno Stark. But it isn’t Tony.

Tams

My first reaction was how the fuck is that going to work?!

But then I remembered that RDJ is an incredible character actor. Tropic Thunder was just perfect and I didn't recognise that it was him in Oppenheimer.

If he's going to use his actual face though, it's going to be hard to stop thinking, 'Ironman'!

Tams

Eh, it was a shit year of noms in that category especially. RDJ put too much of himself into Tony Stark, I don't think I can unsee it in any other performance, the illusion is shattered. The Oppenheimer thing was a joke, his turn as Sherlock and Doolittle were veering into Johnny Depp style overacting. Maybe he can scrub away the crust and come at Doom fresh with and sinister take, but I'm dubious.

But they hired him for his BO draw, not because he was the best actor for the role or because it would have made sense in the story. If you don't KNOE he is in the film then asses don't sit in seats. Revealing him now is A. admission that the MCU is full of leaks and it would get out anyway, might as well capitalize on it, and B if it WAS kept a secret, the marketing of a $300+ million dollar film means they can't wait till it is released for word of mouth to spread his role, casting him is probably HALF the marketing spend of the film.

Did RDJ kill your dog or something?

Still not convinced. He isn't the only person who could play Doom. There must be another reason RDJ is playing this role. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

If he really is Victor and has nothing to do with Stark then I'd say the mask stays on. Otherwise it'll just be really bizarre to see Tony Stark under the mask.
They are going to use this role to destroy RDJ image as a positive masculinity role model. Same as they did with Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, John Cena, etc...

K' Dash

Ugh. This just makes me not want to watch it already. Not a fan of this multiverse crap since they can bring anyone back for anything so the impact of a character don't it whatever has like no impact cause they can just do some multiverse shit

So, just like comics since forever?

Coconutt

Watch Deadpool x Wolverine a lot of the multiverse stuff and a lot of the cameos explain how something like this is possible.

They also had Chris Evans show up and everyone thinks hey it's Captain America but it turns out to be the Human Torch from the Fantastic Four, could easily do something like that with RDJ.

Best Friends Walking GIF by Marvel Studios

Pejo

I really can't wait until this multiverse saga bullshit is over and the writers will be forced to use their fucking brains when writing future movies. They're leaning on the multiverse shenanigans too much as a "get out of jail free" card.
Agree 100%. Multiverse has all the same shit writing opportunities as time travel. Nothing matters anymore, and it's hard to get invested in any character or event because of it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Agree 100%. Multiverse has all the same shit writing opportunities as time travel. Nothing matters anymore, and it's hard to get invested in any character or event because of it.

I don't agree with this at all. Because none of the assumptions have come to fruition. We're still in Phase 5 and no one has come to replace anyone. There's no new Tony Stark from another universe. There's no new Steve Rogers from another universe. There's no new Wanda from another universe taking the place of our now dead Wanda.

But characters in the comics are resurrected all the time. Only Uncle Ben and Thomas and Martha Wayne stay dead. T'Challa will come back. Wanda will come back.

Pejo

I don't agree with this at all. Because none of the assumptions have come to fruition. We're still in Phase 5 and no one has come to replace anyone. There's no new Tony Stark from another universe. There's no new Steve Rogers from another universe. There's no new Wanda from another universe taking the place of our now dead Wanda.

But characters in the comics are resurrected all the time. Only Uncle Ben and Thomas and Martha Wayne stay dead. T'Challa will come back. Wanda will come back.
I didn't mean in the frame of this move in particular. I find time travel and multiverse antics to encourage bad writing in all fiction, not just Marvel/comics. There's a certain weight of actions that's absent as soon as one of the two concepts is added to the mix.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I think Time Travel can definitely be impactful. But I'm biased because I'm writing a novel about how society has colonized the pre-historic past, and are now fighting wars with machine gun mounted triceratops and shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m going assume there is some kind of iron man/doom link. It doesn’t make sense they use the same actor playing straight up roles.

It would be like a new Batman/superman movies and Christian bale or Henry cavill plays an evil guy.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I didn't mean in the frame of this move in particular. I find time travel and multiverse antics to encourage bad writing in all fiction, not just Marvel/comics. There's a certain weight of actions that's absent as soon as one of the two concepts is added to the mix.

I can understand where you are coming from. For me though Time Travel and Multiverse are some of my favorite tropes in fiction.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I find almost all the time travel plots really hokey. Especially when it involves an actor playing two roles at once like twins from different centuries.

I think just about everyone likes early terminator movies. But more for the action and coolness of the humans and sky net involved. Think deeply at the time looping plot and it’s as stupid as it gets…. Whatever they call it… the grandfather paradox or whatever

Top Bottom