• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr cast as Doctor Doom in Avengers: Doomsday, dir. Russo Bros, May 2026

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So how are they going to explain that iron man came back to life and became dr doom? Are they going to get a Lazaurus Pit from DC and say he was ressurected? Pretty sure it was clear he was dead in avengers.

Iron man is the antichrist called it.
Writers will make up anything to keep something going.

When I watched Married with Children a lot back in the day, both Peggy and Marcy were pregnant. They got around that reality by saying Al had a dream, and all episodes they were pregnant didnt happen. Pretty dumb, but that was the solution.

Power Pro

So how are they going to explain that iron man came back to life and became dr doom? Are they going to get a Lazaurus Pit from DC and say he was ressurected? Pretty sure it was clear he was dead in avengers.

Iron man is the antichrist called it.
Deadpool & Wolverine spoiler

They obviously aren't afraid to have fun with the idea of the same actor playing multiple characters. Chris Evans shows up briefly in Deadpool & Wolverine as Johnny Storm.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
You went to an amazing restaurant, ordered the best food on the menu. Everything was delicious.

You went back half a year later, it was just ok and not as you remembered.

Disney is that restaurant, and I'm sure the Russo RDJ will be just ok.

Doom85

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

I’ll have to wait to see footage. Yes, RDJ definitely has range, but Doom? I’m just having trouble seeing it. I’ll have to wait and see. If someone knows a specific RDJ performance in a film or such that showcases he can truly pull this off, I’d love the recommendation.

But really, if they were open-minded about casting someone who had already appeared in the MCU, the truly perfect pick would be Mads Mikkelsen:

Qcg848a.jpeg

Dr.D00p

Really sad & desperate when actors let their ego get the better of them.

Just an easy way to cheapen his legacy during the MCU 'Golden Age'.

Klosshufvud

OMG they are bringing back --beloved actor from earlier movies which people remember fondly because they were better than crap we are doing now -- back!!!!!.

So hype!!! OMG can't wait I'm going to go watch it 40 times like that F tier Spiderman movie that did this same thing!!!!
Popular culture has lost all innovative drive. It's all about recycling the same shit over and over again.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can get behind that, actually.

Still, it's absolute wasted opportunity to expand this universe with a new villainous personality.

He may be written as Doom but RDJs personality is going to come through.

Cillian Murphy would've been amazing.

Hell, even Mel Gibson could've killed the role of Doom.
Mel Gibson VVD would be calling everyone sugar tits

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

I’ll have to wait to see footage. Yes, RDJ definitely has range, but Doom? I’m just having trouble seeing it. I’ll have to wait and see. If someone knows a specific RDJ performance in a film or such that showcases he can truly pull this off, I’d love the recommendation.

But really, if they were open-minded about casting someone who had already appeared in the MCU, the truly perfect pick would be Mads Mikkelsen:

Qcg848a.jpeg
fred armisen television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Soodanim

This is such an odd move that if sooner believe it's a work and the actually Doom will be someone else. RDJ going from the biggest baby face to a heel is going to be a very hard sell.
The concept is great, but they should have kept the fact that it was RDJ until you actually see the movie imo.
I like the idea, but all it takes is one desperate idiot to leak it

Last edited:

ShadowNate

RDJ was great as Iron Man, but are they really incapably of casting another good actor in the new role amongst so many potential candidates in Hollywood (and beyond)?

But, we have reached a point of a hilariously convoluted MCU. what with the multiverse, the time travel (and time control), the races that can morph into anyone (and the mutants who can do that), the LMDs (was this only in the SHIELD series?), the pruned timelines and the variants, and I'm sure I'm forgetting dozens of other gimmicks. I'm surprised it still works as a universe.

I don't think we're supposed to care anymore about the consistency of the new stories.

Power Pro

But who are going to be the avengers? A bunch of second rate heroes with spiderman and thor?
This is the real problem. Like who the hell are the Avengers at this point? The Marvels? Ha. Every character that people loved from previous Avengers are disbanded, replaced with a knock off that no one cares about, or dead.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is honestly great! RDJ and the Russo bros did amazing things for the series.

I respect the Hail Mary. I mean, they have to go all out if they want to get Marvel back on the rails. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Now get some actually interesting Avengers, please.

Last edited:

kunonabi

This is the real problem. Like who the hell are the Avengers at this point? The Marvels? Ha. Every character that people loved from previous Avengers are disbanded, replaced with a knock off that no one cares about, or dead.
Right now best case scenario is Captain Falcon, unless the movie craters, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, the Black Panther stand-in, Thor, Shang-Chi, Deadpool, and maybe a Guardian or two if any of them are still viable. Pretty awful line-up but it's honestly the best they can do after the last several years. It's honestly pretty impressive how badly this passing of the torch played out.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Right now best case scenario is Captain Falcon, unless the movie craters, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, the Black Panther stand-in, Thor, Shang-Chi, Deadpool, and maybe a Guardian or two if any of them are still viable. Pretty awful line-up but it's honestly the best they can do after the last several years. It's honestly pretty impressive how badly this passing of the torch played out.

There is only one Captain Falcon

f-zero-gx.jpg

Lambogenie

I'm gonna disagree with all the "creative bankruptcy" people. The scale is such you can't keep anyone happy.

Mad Mickelson would've been sick.

But this is also sick. It leans into multiverse stuff of people being different in different universes, it's ballsy to do it for a huge franchise and iconic face, where I would say is finally respecting audience to accept things can change (no doubt there were countless discussions in meetings "but the audience is too stupid to separate the actor from his original character!").

From my own personal experience, it's very frustrating when people assume audiences are thick as shit so we avoid risky, or odd things like this. So l love this turn of events for that reason, and give kudos to Disney.

Makes you wonder if we'll just keep seeing RDJ's mask less face with no scarring. I hope not. The mask is dope.

xrnzaaas

I'm pretty sure that the fanbase who wanted RDJ to come back as Iron Man will love this idea and the overall plot won't get even more convoluted.

Roufianos

Honestly, I have such an irrational dislike of this man, just looking at him pissed me off. He just seems like such a smug cunt.

Last hour in Oppenheimer, which was him just shouting at the camera, was hell on earth for me.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Is this going to be one of those ”what if Superman didn’t crash land on the Kent’s farm” type story lines?

The concept is great, but they should have kept the fact that it was RDJ until you actually see the movie imo.
Well they want to bring people to theaters....All recent MCU movies were basically flops aside the one with beloved characters - Wolverine and Deadpool. Now imagine if Wolverine was a different actor.

After Thor destroying his own public perception due to the crappy movies, the last two MCU guys that can bring people back to theaters - Chris Evans and RDJ. However if RDJ Dr. Doom is successful it will subsequently elevate other actors and marvel characters - after all RDJ and Iron Man helped with MCU success with exactly same situation.

Last edited:
Disney struggling to make money due to waning interest and spiralling budgets.

Also Disney, casts Pedro Pascal and RDJ in everything they possibly can.

I’m sure he’ll be great but so would countless of other upcoming and much cheaper actors, this tells me they are taking zero risks and just want to recapture that infinity war audience that I suspect have moved on.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Dead Iron Man turning into Dr Doom actually sounds pretty cool, but I guess that we need more than one movie to have a build up. One of the reasons that Ultron was bad is because of the rush

Dead Iron Man turning into Dr Doom actually sounds pretty cool, but I guess that we need more than one movie to have a build up. One of the reasons that Ultron was bad is because of the rush
Well, maybe it is a parallel universe Tony Stark that became the tyrant or something with the help of Ultron and so on. A lot of possibilities - it is a multimess after all.
I still find it hilarious that the only remarkable MCU movie post Endgame was Deadpool and Wolverine.

Last edited:

Just_one

Dude just won an oscar.

He's not playing a variant of tony stark, he's playing Victor Von doom, im sure he will be different enough from stark and he knows has to be for this to work.

But its the problem with famdoms, u people do your perfect cast things and are unable to accept anything else. Grow up!!

Davevil

Dude just won an oscar.

He's not playing a variant of tony stark, he's playing Victor Von doom, im sure he will be different enough from stark and he knows has to be for this to work.

But its the problem with famdoms, u people do your perfect cast things and are unable to accept anything else. Grow up!!
8yjkdn.jpg

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So they're just going to lean into multiverse absurdity x1000. Then wipe the slate clean and do Xmen and F4. I guess why not at this point. I wouldnt be shocked if RDJ is Doom for just the 1 movie.

Topher

Gold Member
Well Chris Evans was the Human Torch before he played Captain America. Of course, very few knew who Chris Evans was so it was easy to get away with. RDJ playing anything other than Iron Man just seems odd though.

fantastic-four-chris-evanms-18a93d7.jpg

Just_one

Well Chris Evans was the Human Torch before he played Captain America. Of course, very few knew who Chris Evans was so it was easy to get away with. RDJ playing anything other than Iron Man just seems odd though.

fantastic-four-chris-evanms-18a93d7.jpg
RDJ is not playing a variant , he's playing Victor von doom.

FunkMiller

It's also pretty pathetic that they feel the need to make him Doom instead of Superior Iron Man. They're just desperately trying to cling on to characters/actors the general audience knows, instead of being creative with things. The whole thing reeks of desperately bringing back the actor everyone loves, instead of trying to tell a compelling story that makes sense and will appeal.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's also pretty pathetic that they feel the need to make him Doom instead of Superior Iron Man. They're just desperately trying to cling on to characters/actors the general audience knows, instead of being creative with things.

They're adapting Hickman's Secret Wars. Doom is the villain in that.

Most of the MCU has been based on Hickman's Marvel from S.H.I.E.L.D. being Hydra, Thanos' Black Order, etc. After Endgame they've been building to Hickman's version of Secret Wars (not the 80s version made to sell action figures). They introduced Incursions early on in Doctor Strange, literally showed a character stuck in a different universe due to an Incursion in Marvels, and both Loki S2 and Deadpool & Wolverine introduced the Molecule Man part of Secret Wars (with Loki replacing him) and then the MCU's version of Hickman's Anchor idea. In his Secret Wars, Molecule Man put a part of himself in each universe as an Anchor to hold them together. In the MCU, Loki is holding all of the universe strands together while each universe has an Anchor being who causes the universe to fade away after they die. I wouldn't be shocked if they made Iron Man be the 616 Anchor being in Secret Wars.

Top Bottom