• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr cast as Doctor Doom in Avengers: Doomsday, dir. Russo Bros, May 2026

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
m6CJJFy.png

The Russo Brothers return to direct Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Doomsday, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Doctor Doom. Only in theaters May 2026

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If he was still down to act in Marvel movies, why not just be iron man? He was so good as iron man.

Absolutely hilarious timeline of events.
- reveal new MCU big bad to succeed Thanos
- actor publicly abuses his girlfriend and gets fired
- panic
- drop off literal truckload of money onto RDJ's lawn

Jonathan Majors is probably punching his girlfriend a wall right now. RDJ is probably set to make $100M+ per movie because of Majors' poor decisions. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good grief, must be a 40-50 million dollar payday AND a big chunk of profits to get him to come back.

And we KNOW he ain't gonna stay bad, he'll do a heel turn within 2 films, mark my words.

Gotta tie it into the multiverse plans somehow since Kang is fucked off. Imagine how good it'll be for the Avengers and Spiderman to have to fight a version of their friend/mentor.

I can get behind that, actually.

Still, it's absolute wasted opportunity to expand this universe with a new villainous personality.

He may be written as Doom but RDJs personality is going to come through.

Cillian Murphy would've been amazing.

Hell, even Mel Gibson could've killed the role of Doom.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
seems like a desperation attempt to save MCU. im fine with it though but still....

lh032

The concept is great, but they should have kept the fact that it was RDJ until you actually see the movie imo.
i dont think they can keep it a secret, especially for dr doom character.

Unless they make it a secret after credit scene in another non dr doom related MCU film whereby they first showing dr doom unmasked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a superhero follower, but I'll watch some superhero movies here and there if I feel like it or fam asks if i want to join them and the kids.
But I got to say out of all characters, Doctor D seems like a cool character even I'd watch. His bio is kind of weird, where sometimes he's evil, sometimes he does good, and he has an odd code of ethics which can lead to interesting things.

From wiki:

Psychology​

[edit]
On many occasions, Doom's only real weakness has been his arrogance. Layla Miller once reflected that Doom is incapable of accepting that he himself might be the reason for his failures. This is most keenly reflected in Doom's continued refusal to accept responsibility for the accident that fully scarred his face, instead preferring to blame Reed Richards for sabotaging his experiment. While his high opinion of himself is generally accurate, he is unable to accept when others may have a better understanding of a situation than he does, with the occasional exception of hearing the recommendations of heroes such as Mister Fantastic or the Thing when it is to his advantage. Even when teaming up with others against a greater threat, Doom will often try to subvert the alliance for personal gain; for instance, while allied with Adam Warlock and other heroes against the Titan Thanos, he attempted to steal Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet before its owner had been defeated, potentially disrupting Warlock's own plan to defeat Thanos.

Von Doom adheres to a strict code of honor at all times. However, von Doom will keep his exact word, which may or may not be beneficial to the person to whom he has given his promise. For example, Doom may swear that he will not harm an individual, but that only means he will not personally harm that person; it does not mean he will prevent others from harming that person.

Doom's honor code led him to save Captain America from drowning because Captain America had earlier saved his life, and on another occasion he thanked Spider-Man for saving him from terrorists attacking him in an airport by allowing him to leave alive despite Spider-Man subsequently insulting him. His code of honor also means that he will not attack a respected opponent who is weakened or at a severe disadvantage, as he regards any victory resulting from such circumstances as hollow and meaningless. He has even on several occasions battled opponents who were intent on killing the Fantastic Four, for no other reason than the fact that he does not want the ultimate defeat of the Fantastic Four to come from anyone's hands but his own.

Victor von Doom has been shown to be devoted to the welfare and well-being of his subjects. Once, he even went so far as to let his soul lay bare and be judged by the Panther God of Wakanda, who determined that he genuinely wished for a utopian future where humanity thrived, albeit one where he was in power.[126] Doom is beloved by his people of Latveria, which assumedly confirms his ego.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Once again marvels “game plan” is completely crazy man it might not be perfect but the first iron man in particular was great, I want to see more heart in these marvel movies because the last few are nothing to celebrate.

Sonik

RDJ probably refused to play Iron Man again because unlike Disney he has principles and respects the character so Disney being desperate af sent him a truckload of money and begged him to return anyway as a different character

There's no doubt in my mind that if he agreed to play Iron Man again Disney would have definitely done it and given him A LOT more money

Last edited:

Elbereth

i dont think they can keep it a secret, especially for dr doom character.

Unless they make it a secret after credit scene in another non dr doom related MCU film whereby they first showing dr doom unmasked.
I think they could, and frankly should have.

Imagine the whole movie, Masked Doom is kicking ass, takes over the multiverse (God Emperor Doom?) and finally sits on his well earned throne.

Then, the audience finally gets to see who is under the mask… Boom!! This whole time it was RDJ!! Can you imagine the mindphuck!!?

(Kind of like when Darth Vader masked is removed)

It would be the equivalent of the end of the first Avengers movie when you see who was actually behind it all… Freakin Thanos!!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why RDJ who's already played a famous character instead of...you know...literally ANYONE else.

This is the dumbest shit ever.... They are so creatively bankrupt. They don't even care for it to make any sense anymore lol
I dont follow all this multiverse shit, but it seems weird RDJ now plays Dr D.

I guess maybe they got a crazy script where Iron Man converts to Doom for whatever reason. But if it's RDJ playing Dr D as a straight up character in hopes the audience forgets he also plays Iron Man in other movies it would be really weird expectations.

lh032

I think they could, and frankly should have.

Imagine the whole movie, Masked Doom is kicking ass, takes over the multiverse (God Emperor Doom?) and finally sits on his well earned throne.

Then, the audience finally gets to see who is under the mask… Boom!! This whole time it was RDJ!! Can you imagine the mindphuck!!?

(Kind of like when Darth Vader masked is removed)

It would be the equivalent of the end of the first Avengers movie when you see who was actually behind it all… Freakin Thanos!!
thats not possible if you are talking about a mainline dr doom movie.

tbh, most people already figure out who is the cast for darth vader as well. And i believed its leaked way earlier.

They cant keep it secret from the leakers. They are going to leak everything, especially for a cast for an important character like dr doom.

Fbh

OMG they are bringing back --beloved actor from earlier movies which people remember fondly because they were better than crap we are doing now -- back!!!!!.

So hype!!! OMG can't wait I'm going to go watch it 40 times like that F tier Spiderman movie that did this same thing!!!!

Elbereth

thats not possible if you are talking about a mainline dr doom movie.

tbh, most people already figure out who is the cast for darth vader as well. And i believed its leaked way earlier.

They cant keep it secret from the leakers. They are going to leak everything, especially for a cast for an important character like dr doom.
Honestly, it’s just like the upcoming Wolverine game…Leaks and spoilers abound, but as a fan of the source material, there is no way I would partake in them.

Same with movies, especially plot.

RCU005

I believe Disney/Marvel panicked when everything they built towards Endgame went down the drain, so they are in serious need to rebooting and doing something new. They have to finish this mess first, so they had to do something to make people want to go.

I think they will do a complete overhaul (and it will be a full circle) after Secret Wars, starting with X-Men and Mutants, and incorporating new and old heroes (with new actors).

If they are not careful and PLAN things beforehand! They deserve to go bankrupt. They haven't had a plan for Star Wars since they got the license, and now it was very clear they didn't have any plan after Endgame.

Also, They need to stop relying on cameos. They are fun, but at this point, the movies are planned around cameos, and not something that coms naturally depending on the story being told.

Last edited:
So how are they going to explain that iron man came back to life and became dr doom? Are they going to get a Lazaurus Pit from DC and say he was ressurected? Pretty sure it was clear he was dead in avengers.

Iron man is the antichrist called it.

Top Bottom