• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
huge improvement overnight, went from 'I think I can outplay champs?' to 'wow uhh can I find a guy in champ/sc who understands basic rotation because clearing half of champ in 1.5hr wasnt fast enough'

favorite non wall aerial (I got an air dribble that someone tried to save so I dove and pinched into the ground to get under him, but the shot doesn't look that cool) of the night
https://gfycat.com/MassiveVelvetyJaguarundi

huge improvement overnight, went from 'I think I can outplay champs?' to 'wow uhh can I find a guy in champ/sc who understands basic rotation because clearing half of champ in 1.5hr wasnt fast enough'

favorite non wall aerial (I got an air dribble that someone tried to save so I dove and pinched into the ground to get under him, but the shot doesn't look that cool) of the night
https://gfycat.com/MassiveVelvetyJaguarundi

Plays like that will never ceases to amaze me. I feel like I'm doing great when I don't whiff an aerial.

Link
rl_s3_wheel_2.c6e1dc555a6eff57c623d9877706c9a5.rkxrTc08e.jpg

It’s been a long time coming, but we are ready to talk about the end of Competitive Season 3, its rewards, and the beginning of Season 4.

First and foremost, we want to thank all of you, our players, for your patience (and funny tweets and Reddit posts) as Season 3 has gone on significantly longer than Seasons 1 or 2. We’re making a number of changes in Competitive Season 4 -- all of which will be revealed in more detail closer to the start of the season -- and these changes required us to lengthen Season 3.

Season 4 will be starting by early April. Some of the changes coming with Season 4 are tied to a future game update, so its date is still flexible at this point. Once Season 4 starts, we will be moving to a more regular Competitive Season schedule -- something we’ll go into detail on closer to the beginning of the next season. So if you’re still not quite at the Champion Tier in Season 3, you still have time to move up!

Similar to previous Competitive Seasons, we will be releasing rewards for Season 3! We rewarded competitive players with Crowns and Rocket Trails in Seasons 1 and 2, and Season 3 will see special Wheels awarded to all players who have placed in Competitive Playlists.

Season3_Reward_Wheels.gif

The rewards will be handed out as follows:

Prospect I or higher – Season 3 Prospect Wheels

Challenger I or higher – Season 3 Challenger Wheels

Rising Star or higher – Season 3 Star Wheels

Champion or higher – Season 3 Champion Wheels

Grand Champion – “Season 3 Grand Champion” Title+

The highest reward you receive is tied to the highest Tier you reached in any Competitive Playlist during Season 3. If you reached 'Champion' at any point in Season 3, then dropped to 'Superstar' or lower, you will still get the 'Champion' -level Wheels, along with Wheels for every lower Tier.

So what kinds of changes are coming in Competitive Season 4? We’ll go into detail on all of the changes closer to the start of the season, but here’s a sneak peek of the new Tiers you can expect down the line!
Season_4_ranks.jpg

Soulflarz

Banned
Plays like that will never ceases to amaze me. I feel like I'm doing great when I don't whiff an aerial.

you need to play a lot more to reach this point.

like for reference- I've put 200hr into RL this month and played with pros daily, having them constantly tell me everything I do wrong, having me go back and watch what I did, etc. It's how I've gone from 'okay this guy barely deserves purple' to me clearing almost all of champ in one sitting last night and being able to safely argue I can hold my own in low GC.

Dedication matters.

like for reference- I've put 200hr into RL this month and played with pros daily, having them constantly tell me everything I do wrong, having me go back and watch what I did, etc. It's how I've gone from 'okay this guy barely deserves purple' to me clearing almost all of champ in one sitting last night and being able to safely argue I can hold my own in low GC.

Dedication matters.

For some :p

Honestly at this point I've given up on ever actually getting anywhere despite dedication. I'm at 1200 hours now and often I play worse than I did at 600 hours. I think for some, you're never gonna get good no matter how hard you try and to be honest I'm even beyond caring about that at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want those GC wheels. XD

Dedication matters.

I don't disagree, Despite having over 150 hours now, I just don't have the time to commit to practice, I like to hop on and just play a couple at the end of a long day. My post wasn't a "poor me" thing more of a "god damn, you guys are great" thing.

Soulflarz

Banned
For some :p

Honestly at this point I've given up on ever actually getting anywhere despite dedication. I'm at 1200 hours now and often I play worse than I did at 600 hours. I think for some, you're never gonna get good no matter how hard you try and to be honest I'm even beyond caring about that at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want those GC wheels. XD

Again, gotta put time into improving.
I play smash brothers weekly at tournaments to have fun with friends. I never analyze why I lost or even bother-- I know if I could wavedash out of shield consistently and grinded marths punish game, plenty of my neutral wins would be free kills. But I don't care to put the time in.

Meanwhile, when I lose in Rocket League, I look at why I lost. What did I do wrong? What did they do right?
It also helps to assume every opponent you're playing is a GC- not going for an aerial that can be dunked 'cause he's a blue and won't dunk me fast' is a bad reason to not learn how to play correctly- it builds bad habits.

TL;DR watch how pros play, pick up on it, play faster.

Alternatively, if you wanna have fun only, who cares :D

TheKeyPit

Banned
Where are the "full crossplay" news for season 4? :p

We’re making a number of changes in Competitive Season 4 -- all of which will be revealed in more detail closer to the start of the season -- and these changes required us to lengthen Season 3.

Season 4 will be starting by early April. Some of the changes coming with Season 4 are tied to a future game update, so its date is still flexible at this point. Once Season 4 starts, we will be moving to a more regular Competitive Season schedule -- something we’ll go into detail on closer to the beginning of the next season

This screams full crossplay. Tied to a future game update? I'm 100% certain that we'll have full crossplay in April.

2s means 2on2? Do you play with randoms or a partner?

Edit:

What is the best way to record gifs for goals and stuff?

If you have nvidia shadowplay is fantastic. I then use handbrake to make it smaller and upload it to GFYcat. I no longer have an nvidia card so i use OBS or Plays.tv. I miss shadowplay though.

luffeN

If you have nvidia shadowplay is fantastic. I then use handbrake to make it smaller and upload it to GFYcat. I no longer have an nvidia card so i use OBS or Plays.tv. I miss shadowplay though.

Did you also use shadowplay when grabbing the footage from replays?

Edit: Thank you!

Redders

Is the MMR on Rocket league tracker network accurate?

Looking at the brackets my current points are 682 on Doubles, it says Rising Star Division 1 is 684 - 702 but Challenger Elite Division 5 680 - 698.

So if I get to 684 will that put me into Rising star or will I need to try to jump up to something like 700 to get put in? Want those blue wheels!

Hasney

Is the MMR on Rocket league tracker network accurate?

Looking at the brackets my current points are 682 on Doubles, it says Rising Star Division 1 is 684 - 702 but Challenger Elite Division 5 680 - 698.

So if I get to 684 will that put me into Rising star or will I need to try to jump up to something like 700 to get put in? Want those blue wheels!

Nah, there's a note that says it's not. I have the MMR of Challenger 2 Div 2, but I'm on Challenger Elite.

Redders

Nah, there's a note that says it's not. I have the MMR of Challenger 2 Div 2, but I'm on Challenger Elite.

Alright thanks, that's pretty out for you. I'm sat at Challenger Elite Division V in game so hopefully not too far off, never been able to push over though. Last time I got put against Shooting Stars which sucked, be nice to not get that again.

Again, gotta put time into improving.
I play smash brothers weekly at tournaments to have fun with friends. I never analyze why I lost or even bother-- I know if I could wavedash out of shield consistently and grinded marths punish game, plenty of my neutral wins would be free kills. But I don't care to put the time in.

Meanwhile, when I lose in Rocket League, I look at why I lost. What did I do wrong? What did they do right?
It also helps to assume every opponent you're playing is a GC- not going for an aerial that can be dunked 'cause he's a blue and won't dunk me fast' is a bad reason to not learn how to play correctly- it builds bad habits.

TL;DR watch how pros play, pick up on it, play faster.

Alternatively, if you wanna have fun only, who cares :D

Yeah, tbh I should probably just watch more pro matches if I want to actually get better since I usually am pretty on form after watching them, not to mention watch back replays, though at Challenger 3 I can almost always be sure it's a loss because the team either can't set up passes or capitalize on them, then when I do take the risk to try do something about it they both go for the same ball and give the opposition a free goal. I hate to just team blame too since no doubt I make my share of mistakes, but damn the frequency this happens at is maddening.

That said, I've decided to just chill and have fun with it again for now. I'm sure I'll come back with the right spirit again at some time but I was starting to hate playing the game due to expecting too much from myself. It DOES kinda frustrates the crap out of me being stuck at mid Challenger levels when I can air dribble from the wall to backboard then dunk it with pretty decent consistency. I think it's the random crap I can pull out of a hat that raises my own expectations but then the general back and forth that costs me as well.

Either way, I'll probably make a bit more of a push again at the start of Season 4. Just popping on for a match or two has been refreshing and helping the itch to play come back again.

Soulflarz

Banned
2s means 2on2? Do you play with randoms or a partner?

Both. I found a super champ in 1s and I kinda just carried him rotationally on mic and shouted powershot their net whenever I had them both out of position and we got there off that.

Yeah, tbh I should probably just watch more pro matches if I want to actually get better since I usually am pretty on form after watching them, not to mention watch back replays, though at Challenger 3 I can almost always be sure it's a loss because the team either can't set up passes or capitalize on them, then when I do take the risk to try do something about it they both go for the same ball and give the opposition a free goal. I hate to just team blame too since no doubt I make my share of mistakes, but damn the frequency this happens at is maddening.

Challenger 3 theres more going on- you're all still learning your fundamental tech. You might be able to aerial, but you can't wallhit, nor can you save them. It's kinda a clusterf of various skills that no one knows how to counter right.

edit: back at my pc, and I want to say: old challenger 3 (current intro blues) is where I was stuck the longest- I probably played a few hours a day for half a month stuck in there, mildly improving my consistency until I could aerial correctly without issue and could get some basic wallhits. It's pretty important to learn basic rotation at that point as well.
After that, I'd argue the next biggest roadblock is superstar/basic champ, where you've fundamentally understood the idea "go a bit faster to win" but don't realize just how screwed you are if you aren't going up for the ball the second you can if it's yours to challenge.

ViciousDS

Banned
any folks here play xbox and want to group up? 2s, 3s?

I'm not very good but would love to play with some GAFFERS

ZynTheSin is my XBL

Grinchy

Banned
Had a crazy run tonight. My buddy and I haven't played ranked in months. I went from needing 6 games to be ranked again to being 3 divisions away from Champion. I didn't think I'd ever hit purple to get the season reward, but now I might get there the next time we play.

And I opened up some Zombas from a crate. Not bad!

Soulflarz

Banned
carried the gc with me the last 3 matches against ~1250 MMR GCs

about +5 wins from GC myself, but can safely say: I dunno - it clicked and I'm so happy: I can play RL at Grand Champion level- like proper grand champion, not those who got there without learning how to rotate or hit fast :D

and holy shit
RL is 20x as addicting and fun at high level o_O

Anyone get the feeling 2's should be the standard competitive format? Less chaotic, allows for a lot more creativity and is a lot more fun to watch because of that. 3s feels so limited in that aspect because with proper rotation someone is always instantly challenging the ball and it becomes ping pong.

Challenger 3 theres more going on- you're all still learning your fundamental tech. You might be able to aerial, but you can't wallhit, nor can you save them. It's kinda a clusterf of various skills that no one knows how to counter right.

edit: back at my pc, and I want to say: old challenger 3 (current intro blues) is where I was stuck the longest- I probably played a few hours a day for half a month stuck in there, mildly improving my consistency until I could aerial correctly without issue and could get some basic wallhits. It's pretty important to learn basic rotation at that point as well.
After that, I'd argue the next biggest roadblock is superstar/basic champ, where you've fundamentally understood the idea "go a bit faster to win" but don't realize just how screwed you are if you aren't going up for the ball the second you can if it's yours to challenge.

Perhaps the level of play at these ranks has increased a little, since there's usually 1-2 guys per team that have decent wall play, though yeah there's a real lack of consistency at these ranks. I'm hoping if I can break these ranks that it may be a little easier to adapt to since people will reliably hit the ball more often. It's certainly chaotic at this rank.

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone get the feeling 2's should be the standard competitive format? Less chaotic, allows for a lot more creativity and is a lot more fun to watch because of that. 3s feels so limited in that aspect because with proper rotation someone is always instantly challenging the ball and it becomes ping pong.

2s is...ping pong-ish at times, but every error CAN get you scored on. It's less fun though at times- you can't go for a shot safely a lot.

Grinchy

Banned

I've always personally preferred 2v2. It was a much better way to play SARPBC, so that just carried over for me to Rocket League.

I can see why people like 3v3 so much in Rocket League, but I still think 2v2 is just slightly better. I watch some of the 3v3 pro guys do 2v2 matches on twitch sometimes, and they'll just smack the ball into the wall because they're so used to a team rotation being ready for that stuff. That doesn't always work out so well in 2v2.

Soulflarz

Banned
fwiw 2v2 requires every single hit to be good if its not a shot on net thats off a pass
even then, you gotta chill on every pass to see if they screwed up blocking it, it's not the most fun at times.

okay not every but
your notable mess ups are free goals on you.

Anybody down to play? Rising star in 2s and 3s

If I ever hit Rising Star someday yeah. trying for Challenger Elite so hopefully will reach that target sooner or later.

On a side note do we have enough Gaffer's here to get a mini tourney going sometime? Figured it cold be a bit of fun, though the pros would obviously have to be split up and the teams would probably be mixed in skill with vast gaps between many of us, could still be a laugh. Main worry would be working out what to do about the console cross play limitation.

DrkSage

Is rocket league broken on PS4 or something or maybe it's my ps4? Decided to fire up rocket league on the PS4 again, gave it the latest update after MONTHS of not playing... and the game stays on the splash screen or whatever indefinitely, have to close and open application multiple times and when it finally starts, it says it can't connect to either psn servers or rocket league servers

Soulflarz

Banned
Did a bit of ranked today, 1040->just over 1100

Zz...so close to gc again...I keep getting 20 points away

Got a guy now though and I'd rather play people at ~1200 MMR than deal with a random :p

As for a tourney: we've tried organizing it a dozen times and realized A) people are awful at commiting
B) theres no fair way to divide it at all. Anyone pre purple is going to lose by the champ+ sitting in goal till you fail a shot on them and beating your other teammate(s) for a dunked goal.

Could be hilarious though I still want it :x

Hasney

I never read that April bit. May as well play more Yakuza now the pressure is off. Seem to play better on weekends anyway without work putting me on tilt!

Slixshot

Banned
Had the luckiest save last night. You know when your car isn't facing the normal direction on your screen and you're like "shit. do I roll right or left?!" Guess I made the right call.

Check it out!

Did a bit of ranked today, 1040->just over 1100

Zz...so close to gc again...I keep getting 20 points away

Got a guy now though and I'd rather play people at ~1200 MMR than deal with a random :p

As for a tourney: we've tried organizing it a dozen times and realized A) people are awful at commiting
B) theres no fair way to divide it at all. Anyone pre purple is going to lose by the champ+ sitting in goal till you fail a shot on them and beating your other teammate(s) for a dunked goal.

Could be hilarious though I still want it :x

Yeah people not committing to it could easily be a problem, I don't know if having an unfair split would be all that much of a problem though. Would make for a lot of fun regardless and since there's nothing to win there's nothing to worry about with certain teams having the advantage. I hope we could get one going one day.

dickroach

so I've played like... 5-600 hours of Rocket League and JUST figured out there was an air roll button. I never understood how freestyling in the air worked. my mind is blown. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so I've played like... 5-600 hours of Rocket League and JUST figured out there was an air roll button. I never understood how freestyling in the air worked. my mind is blown. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Haha, it's okay man, I had the same revelation at about that point. Couldn't believe I'd missed it for so long. It's an absolute game changer once you get used to it, you'll never understand how you lived without it.

Top Bottom