• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
so I've played like... 5-600 hours of Rocket League and JUST figured out there was an air roll button. I never understood how freestyling in the air worked. my mind is blown. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

H-how did you land from aerials? X_X

fun fact you can fully go from backwards to forwards without air roll, it's just a very precise movement.

Getting to GC is hard. Especially in OCE, some superstars play ridiculously well and should be GC but the numbers are low at higher ranks. I'd be happy with champ

No ones in superstar who should get getting GC. You learn to go up faster and hit it earlier- they might be slightly faster at consistent angles, but that's an actual ocean in skill apart. Played yesterday in champ a lot on a fresh account on all servers enabled, it's pretty close to the same across the board, they weren't getting it by me and I could 2 man their defense to drop it on the goal line + dunk them if needed.

This is also why you see people get some sick shots and go "wow you're clearly GC" "nah superstar" because in reality they'd get hard stuffed before they did half the shot in even midpurples.

edit: to put it in perspective, I got a brand new account to champ with 4 losses with a friend who was at challenger elite yesterday when I started. I haven't hit GC yet (although I should be able to if I grind solo 2s according to like 5 people but I hate solo 2s rip)
If you play at a level above champ, it's very diff- you can basically shut down their slow shots and slam it over them constantly.

dickroach

H-how did you land from aerials? X_X

fun fact you can fully go from backwards to forwards without air roll, it's just a very precise movement.

I'd just get balls up in the air by going up, maybe leaning a little left or right to get there. backwards/forwards happens without holding the air roll button, that x-axis movement is new to me though. I thought you just had to do one of those quick barrel rolls where you hit the jump button again. I guess I just landed on my side like... most of the time, now that I think about it. you get up quick tho!
I still don't get how to use it correctly though / what button I should bind it too. the default was square, but I didn't like not being able to hit that and boost at the same time so I changed it to R1, but I'm so used to holding down R2 when I'm aerialing. hm

I'd just get balls up in the air by going up, maybe leaning a little left or right to get there. backwards/forwards happens without holding the air roll button, that x-axis movement is new to me though. I thought you just had to do one of those quick barrel rolls where you hit the jump button again. I guess I just landed on my side like... most of the time, now that I think about it. you get up quick tho!
I still don't get how to use it correctly though / what button I should bind it too. the default was square, but I didn't like not being able to hit that and boost at the same time so I changed it to R1, but I'm so used to holding down R2 when I'm aerialing. hm

My personal layout is Boost on R1 and Roll/Handbrake on L1. I just don't like having to choose between boost, roll and jump and would rather have access to all three at the same time.

dickroach

My personal layout is Boost on R1 and Roll/Handbrake on L1. I just don't like having to choose between boost, roll and jump and would rather have access to all three at the same time.

!!!! powerslide and air roll both on L1 makes so much sense. I forgot you can bind 2 things to one key. thanks

By the way I thought they tried to make the ranking up system a bit more balanced? I just got Division 4 of Challnger 3 and had two wins after that, then one loss knocked me back to Division 3. Wasn't that one of the things they were trying to prevent with the patch a few months back?

dickroach

By the way I thought they tried to make the ranking up system a bit more balanced? I just got Division 4 of Challnger 3 and had two wins after that, then one loss knocked me back to Division 3. Wasn't that one of the things they were trying to prevent with the patch a few months back?

there's some other factors going on there. like, I think your competition matters. maybe it put you up against some Challenger3Division3 person(s?), or lower, instead of d4 and ya blew it so they knocked you back down
I lost two or three games in a row earlier after a hell of a hot streak, and was shocked I didn't get knocked down a division. I dunno

Soulflarz

Banned
Unless it's divisions 1 and 5 which overlap, divisions are just a point system. You get points based on - your competition (expected chance of winning or losing) and in large part your sigma, which is the value of uncertainty in your rank. If the system is uncertain, each loss or win affects it a lot. You can have a high sigma by going on a large win streak or by having a new account.

bjaelke

The next Rocket League update is on the horizon, and we're changing things up a bit with our latest Crate! We want you, the dedicated Rocket League community, to choose what items we include in our first-ever Player's Choice Crate! You can pick your favorite Very Rare Decals, Exotic Wheels, Import Battle-Car, and more! Some of these customization items are old favorites, but we are bringing them to new Battle-Cars and want to put the power in your hands this time!

Below you'll find a poll with all of the available categories and choices (note that you have multiple choices to make in some categories), and we will be running the poll through midnight Pacific Time on February 1st.

Vote today, and help shape the future of Rocket League!
Voting Now Open For Our First Player's Choice Crate

dickroach

for some reason I started playing REALLY shitty on ps4, which I'd been playing on exclusively for the past couple of months, so I switched back over to playing on Steam
29-13, up to Challenger 2 (my highest rank ever). fuckin kiiiiillin it. yay

also, fuck crates. I've spent like $20 on em, only gotten one car and one boost trail thing, the rest decals

for some reason I started playing REALLY shitty on ps4, which I'd been playing on exclusively for the past couple of months, so I switched back over to playing on Steam
29-13, up to Challenger 2 (my highest rank ever). fuckin kiiiiillin it. yay

also, fuck crates. I've spent like $20 on em, only gotten one car and one boost trail thing, the rest decals

Never open them. Trade them for keys and use the keys to get items. You can get pretty much anything you want two weeks after a new case unless you are going for the top tir stuff.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Yes, I can finally vote for shit that I already own (very rare decals) to become available in the next crate, so I can pay for it again. Very rare decals like Dominus Snakeskin should've been available for every Dominus car (Standard + GT). But hey, thanks for that anyway. Stuff like this is the reason why this game didn't get first place on my GOTY2016 list.

------

Matchmaking is also crap. I had a nice win streak, thanks to good teammates. Last win was after ~8 minutes of OT. Next match was against the same opponents, but now I got bad teammates(compared to before). I did my best, no chance. Thanks Obama.

All-Star Div 4. All I want is that Superstar rank.

Yes, I can finally vote for shit that I already own (very rare decals) to become available in the next crate, so I can pay for it again. Very rare decals like Dominus Snakeskin should've been available for every Dominus car (Standard + GT). But hey, thanks for that anyway. Stuff like this is the reason why this game didn't get first place on my GOTY2016 list.

If you sell all those boxes and wait a bit you can probably trade for mutiples of those decals. The wheels alone will make those boxes worth a good amount for awhile.

TheKeyPit

Banned
If you sell all those boxes and wait a bit you can probably trade for mutiples of those decals. The wheels alone will make those boxes worth a good amount for awhile.

It's a matter of principle. If I already own a Dominus Snakeskin, it should work for every Dominus type. This is just another quick way of making extra cash without putting much effort into the process. "Player's choice crate", more like a "take all these items that are already available in other crates crate".

Don't trade for a bit. New exploit.

Link

I can confirm the new wheel scam going around and have identified how it is done. If you haven't heard, someone will add crimson lightning to the trade window and once the trade is complete, the wheel color changes.
I would love to talk to a Psyonix dev to show them how I am able to do it.
Here is video proof of me being able to replicate the scam. I can also confirm that I can do this however many times I want. Use a middleman for high priced items until this is fixed.
Video of Scam

Video

Soulflarz

Banned
!!!!!!!!!!
unknown.png

DCX

DCX
Need someone to partner up with to get my last throphy for platinum! Anyone around? Send friend request PSN DCX-gaf

DCX

TheKeyPit

Banned
I really want to trade my CC4s for an Octane ZSR, but I can't post anything on reddit. All I get is "page not found" after submitting a post. Google said that I might be shadow-banned, but after checking it, I'm not.

Edit: It works on my phone; weird.

TheKeyPit

Banned
What is wrong with this game? I got the same opposing team in Ranked for 6(!!!!!!!) matches in a row. WHAT.....THE.....HELL!!! Lost 5 of those matches.

Edit: Do you want to know what this game really needs? A "team up"-option at the end of a ranked match. I've found my perfect random teammates so many times and I'd like to go on a killingspree with them.

Edit: I'm losing every match, so I thought "hey, lets see how long this losing streak can get". It was probably ~10 matches and I dropped down to Shooting Star AGAIN. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

Arttemis

Fuck, this game needs a Solo Doubles option. 75% of my matches in doubles are against teams. Literally, 6 in a row against teams followed by 2 games with all randoms.

DCX

DCX
Anyone around to help me get a trophy? Just need to team up with someone for a game! Hit me up PSN DCX-gaf

DCX

Edit: Do you want to know what this game really needs? A "team up"-option at the end of a ranked match. I've found my perfect random teammates so many times and I'd like to go on a killingspree with them.

I've wanted this feature for a long time. Makes so much sense. You just played well as a group so why not check a button to continue in next match vs being paired with another group of randoms? And if you keep playing well together then you can just decide to take the extra steps to party up and use comms.

Obviously couldn't do this in solo standard but in regular 3's or 2's it would be a welcome addition.

Pepiope

I've wanted this feature for a long time. Makes so much sense. You just played well as a group so why not check a button to continue in next match vs being paired with another group of randoms? And if you keep playing well together then you can just decide to take the extra steps to party up and use comms.

Obviously couldn't do this in solo standard but in regular 3's or 2's it would be a welcome addition.
I mean you could just friend request them and party up. In the early days I would constantly do that, plus I'd always have someone to play with in the future.

Soulflarz

Banned
Fuck, this game needs a Solo Doubles option. 75% of my matches in doubles are against teams. Literally, 6 in a row against teams followed by 2 games with all randoms.
You lose less points and gain more for beating them. Teaming up is generally a bad idea unless you both should be a way higher rank than you are (see: when I came back after s3 was well in, I solo'd to challenger elite, then quickly promoted a couples times with flunkie since neither of us had played much 2s and were able to sweep the lower ranks)

Or unless your friend is a higher rank, doesn't care about it, and you'd rather grind your rank against way better players for practice. Not advisable though.

gratz on reaching GC :)

What to do now :p

Get it in all 4 playlists. Boost fellow gaffers :)

I mean we live in a world with crossplay. You can't add someone from a different platform...

Plus it's just more involved. You need to invite friends and friends need to be online and want to play with you at that specific time vs just ticking a box to play another game with random teammates you played well with. Partying up of course is a solution but the re-up idea is a nice bridge to that.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I got back to All-Star Division 5 and I had to search a match for 10 minutes. The game somehow couldn't find players with a similar skill level. What I ended up with after searching for what felt like an eternity:

Edit: I could've been Superstar after that one :(

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well, now I'm finally at the Superstar rank(currently Division 3):

I had a good winning streak and it was destroyed by someone from my friends list + his team. That guy is crazy. Already Rocketeer on Xbox One and ~70 days playtime(you can't really look at the recorded playtime on Xbox One, because it counts how long the game was running, but hey, I'm at ~30 days; just for comparison).

Well I've stuck with ranked and I'm sort of climbing....slowly. I freaking hate the range of team mates at Challenger 3, from people who get wall play properly to people who can't even hit the most simple shot possible. Wish I was at the level where climbing through these ranks took only a couple hours but whatever, I only play about 4-5 games at a time once or twice a day anyway so I guess it's going to be slow no matter what that way.

I just can't seem to muster the will to keep going when it's ranked. Like just now I hit Division V and can finally see the cusp of Elite, hopefully also starting my ascension to the blues, but my first thought was "hmmm that player number is below 3000 now, better call it a day before my luck runs out". It's dumb since I'm on a steady upward trajectory but I keep worrying I'm going to have a loss streak and tank all progress.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm going back and forth between Division 3 and 4 in Superstar.

I've lost the last two matches and I can feel it in my bones that shit's about to go down if I continue playing. Both losses were against All-Star teams and we forfeited them because we had no chance; no chemistry with these randoms.

I better watch some Netflix before I get mad.

Edit: I should've listened to myself. Division 2 now. Enough of this!

dickroach

The 12 Titans 1v1 tournament is live on twitch now

hell yea. I just threw on the NHL all star game cuz I thought there was nothing better on, but I was wrong

I'm not too familiar with most of those names, but I'm calling a Kronovi Kuxir final

edit: is this like.. prerecorded or something? the production values, or... I don't even know what to call them, are awesome on this.

Finally had a good day at ranked. Started at Challenger 3 Div 3 and ended at Challenger Elite and was going to be Div 4 if I'd got that last win. The blues are finally within reach! In all honesty I don't actually care for those wheels since my blue lightnings look better IMO, but even if it's a long way off, I'm starting to believe I might even be able to make the purples one day. Kinda wish I'd put more time into ranked earlier now, but it usually frustrates me so easily. At least the toxicity is dying down the more I rank up.

Top Bottom