• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

DrBo42

ToolBandPicture.jpg

When?!

I don't think anyone is into Creed.

fred

Hey everyone, I’ve had an acoustic electric for years (my brother let me have an old one of his) and always told myself that I’d learn guitar someday, a combination of rapidly approaching my 30th birthday and group lessons starting out where I live has actually got me to dust the thing off and give it a proper go. So far in my classes we’ve learned scales and chords for C, G, D and A, so I can sort of very slowly strum along to Hotel Yorba and Bad Moon Rising, haha. Anyway I’m getting to the stage where I’m kind of wanting some structured practice going on so I ordered Rocksmith 2014 for the PS3 yesterday. Should have picked it up on Steam now I’ve seen that there’s custom tracks you can add, but never mind. At least this way it’s fairly easy to have it all set up in the living room. Hopefully this is going to arrive tomorrow and I’ll be able to get stuck in, can’t wait to try it out. The most useful thing for me is probably going to be muscle memory for chords, and getting quicker at switching between them. Looking at the track list for the original game I’m thinking it’ll definitely be worth trying to get hold of a copy somehow and doing the import, looks like there’s a lot of great songs on there, might see how I get on with the ones I’ve got first though. What’s the price of the import in the UK?

Anyway, I’ll be subbing here and letting you guys know how I’m getting on every so often. Here’s hoping that by the end of the year I’ll be belting out some rock classics!

It's worth double dipping for the Steam version. You already have the cable so you can just purchase a Steam key. There's well over 2000 custom songs available by now. Can't remember offhand how much the import tool is now but it's definitely worth doing. Can't remember if you need to have bought the original Rocksmith to do it though.

Xyber

It's worth double dipping for the Steam version. You already have the cable so you can just purchase a Steam key. There's well over 2000 custom songs available by now. Can't remember offhand how much the import tool is now but it's definitely worth doing. Can't remember if you need to have bought the original Rocksmith to do it though.

Unless they have worked it out with Steam you still need to own the first game. But that thing usually goes on sale for really cheap on Amazon every now and then.

fred

Ah, cheers for that. Couldn't remember whether you needed it or not. Still worth doing, as you said it's as cheap as chips to get now.

Thrakier

How are custom songs working in 2014? Are they compatible with slowing down etc.?

Any tips for the session mode? Seems hard to get things going.

Xyber

How are custom songs working in 2014? Are they compatible with slowing down etc.?

Any tips for the session mode? Seems hard to get things going.

As Toymachine said, they do work in Riff Repeater. Not all songs have dynamic difficulty though, but I'd say that the majority does now because of a clever guy who made a thing that generates a DD version of customs automatically and they turn out surprisingly well for an automated thing.

Xyber

three song pack or two more unknown?

Perhaps some Japanese stuff too, they usually don't mention those until they are put up unless I'm mistaken. But then again, I don't really keep up with what is being released apart from checking here or on theriffrepeater.com every now and then.

Varna

I'm really sad that there is only one Grateful Dead custom... I don't think it's a band that will get any attention from Rocksmith either.

Xyber

I'm really sad that there is only one Grateful Dead custom... I don't think it's a band that will get any attention from Rocksmith either.

If there's not many good guitar pro tabs then most people won't bother making songs because tabbing out a whole song manually takes a lot of time unless it's a simple chord based song. That might be a reason for that.

I'm sad it won't convert to Mac properly. I think we might see some Phish eventually on Rocksmith though, if that helps.

Xyber

I'm sad it won't convert to Mac properly. I think we might see some Phish eventually on Rocksmith though, if that helps.

Shouldn't you just be able to import it to the toolkit and then generate the Mac version? Or does it mess something up when doing that?

Prodigal

Banned
Is there any sort of "career" mode or is it more like just play whatever song you want? I just loaded it up and the interface is a little daunting at first.

fred

can we talk about custom songs or is that a bit of a legal grey area that shouldn't be touched?

Hasn't been a problem in this thread or the thread for the first game so we should be fine talking about (imo) the major unofficial selling point of the game.

Just had a quick count and there's 2217 custom songs so far. Awesome!

I'll buy KISS.

So, just out of curiosity, why is there specifically so much J-Rock in the game? Nothing against J-rock (I'd buy 99radioservice if it was out there), but it just seems weird that there's so much of it in the DLC list. Is Rocksmith particularly big in Japan or something?

I'll buy KISS.

So, just out of curiosity, why is there specifically so much J-Rock in the game? Nothing against J-rock (I'd buy 99radioservice if it was out there), but it just seems weird that there's so much of it in the DLC list. Is Rocksmith particularly big in Japan or something?

I think that it's a mostly unexplored market for these type of games and it's the first western music game that is actually selling in Japan.

I guess its a little surprising. Music licensing seems like its such a mess, so its weird to see that stuff make an appearance over here in the west.

I think Gibson/Epiphone has guitars with something like this built-in. Its certainly interesting, I have to admit that I'm pretty lazy about alternate tuning so I end up no playing a lot of songs that aren't E standard.

edit - Scratch that. It looks like the Gibson Min-Etune is this exact device with their own name.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/min-etune.aspx

fred

Aw, not as clever and original as I first thought. Although the one I linked to does have the advantage that it's got extra battery life and can be used on guitars with in-line machine heads like strats and teles.

Surprised the guy hasn't been sued lol

fred

Smithy's Anvil isn't providing links to custom DLC anymore.:eek:(

No idea what's been going on, someone gave a link to a post on the Steam forums suggesting shenanigans with donations but that still doesn't explain what's been going on tbh. Very odd.

A member of the forum on there has set up an alternative site but I'll have to double post to post it because my phone freaks out when posting links partway through a post, so apologies!

Xyber

I went to bed and when I woke up now there was so much drama. :lol:

The guy that was hosting it is taking the remaining paypal donations and leaving. I hope it will be possible for someone to take over the site because it would suck to lose it.

But I'm going to keep making customs for personal use no matter what.

fred

The guy is still keeping the site going, has just had a hissy fit for some reason and has removed the links and the ability to link to custom DLC. Just join the alternative I linked to above instead, same thing really plus phpBB is miles better.

Xyber

The guy is still keeping the site going, has just had a hissy fit for some reason and has removed the links and the ability to link to custom DLC. Just join the alternative I linked to above instead, same thing really plus phpBB is miles better.

He is taking whatever donations that he still had in his paypal (which he said was $339 and I saw that some dude had donated $150 just the other week) and just won't do anything more with the site. De-modded almost everyone and deletes post thread all over the place. :p Fortunately I've only made 1 song for 2014 so I won't lose much, but he will remove all songs later on as well.

I'll wait for that new place to get all the features and stuff sorted out before I start posting stuff there. But I hope it will grow and learn from some of the mistakes they've done on smithyanvil. The more people I can share customs with the better. :)

fred

The new cDLC forum has already seen loads of people migrating from Anvil. Last I saw there were 115 online. Pretty good going!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The new cDLC forum has already seen loads of people migrating from Anvil. Last I saw there were 115 online. Pretty good going!
What's the URL?

You can still get access to all the songs that have been made (I think, not sure if everyone has access to that part now). They will be removed shortly though. So get what you want now.
Gerk. I hope someone just archives the whole thing and moves them over or something...

Raysoul

Ok, I bought this after buying my new PC. Guitar is set, effects pedal ok, and PC is ready.

I installed this then it prompted me to do a 100mb Steam update. Tried to bypass it, but seems it really needs to have Steam installed. Our internet connection is slow because of the bandwidth cap, so I have it download overnight.

Waking up, I was met with an error that Steam must be updated. I run the client and it again downloaded a 50mb update. It won't let me bypass it.

Then the download is finished, I can now install Rocksmith 2014. After installation, I decided to run it before I go to my workplace. Rocksmith then tries to download an update for this game. No option to bypass this.

I just want to rock and roll already! D:

fred

Ok, I bought this after buying my new PC. Guitar is set, effects pedal ok, and PC is ready.

I installed this then it prompted me to do a 100mb Steam update. Tried to bypass it, but seems it really needs to have Steam installed. Our internet connection is slow because of the bandwidth cap, so I have it download overnight.

Waking up, I was met with an error that Steam must be updated. I run the client and it again downloaded a 50mb update. It won't let me bypass it.

Then the download is finished, I can now install Rocksmith 2014. After installation, I decided to run it before I go to my workplace. Rocksmith then tries to download an update for this game. No option to bypass this.

I just want to rock and roll already! D:

I blame the internet lol

I remember the days when games were released with as few minor bugs as possible because hardly anyone had internet access and those that did had a 56.6 modem if they had a top of the range machine lol. Now that everyone has internet access, and high speed at that, you're left downloading updates every five minutes.

I miss those good old days! :eek:(

Top Bottom