• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm having a pretty frustrating time with this, I have an electric acoustic and it's not really picking up the notes that well, especially higher up the fretboard (around 12 etc). The guitar i'm using needs cleaning though and the strings have been on there for a few years before I started learning how to play, have got some new strings so hopefully that'll help.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
sounds like you should be taking it into a guitar store and getting a general setup done
it sounds like the intonation is off. When they do the setup they'll adjust that..adjust hight of strings..adjust the trustrod and put new strings on the guitar

Kaladin

I'm really enjoying this game.

Is there a good site you guys can recommend for tone editor settings? I know someone has gone through tone editor and pieced out all the infamous tones that are not already in the game.

fred

I'm having a pretty frustrating time with this, I have an electric acoustic and it's not really picking up the notes that well, especially higher up the fretboard (around 12 etc). The guitar i'm using needs cleaning though and the strings have been on there for a few years before I started learning how to play, have got some new strings so hopefully that'll help.

Yup, new strings will help lol. I'd also recommend you either set the guitar up (adjusting neck relief, the action and the intonation) yourself - it's quite easy to do - or if you're not confident then take it to a shop and have it done professionally.

I'd also suggest cleaning the fretboard and polishing the frets too, although that should be included in the price of a professional setup.

Depending on how often you play you'll be better off changing strings (with the same brand and gauge) every month, or whenever you can hear the tone changing, sounding a lot less bright. It's definitely worth learning how to do a basic setup because you'll should do that every time you change strings to keep your intonation sorted. It's very easy to do and there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube showing how to do it.

Thrakier

Dudes and Dudettes, Rockers and...Rockets (?), I have a question. What is the most common reason why the game is not picking up my notes? Especially in "hear shaped box" I get tons of misses and "lates", although, to my ears, I can play along the song just fine and I'm in rythm. I always feel like I need to play too fast for Rocksmit taking my notes.

The other problem is I got is that the game tells me that "your guitar volume is very low". I have two guiters, one average, one very good, both work perfectly fine on an amp. Still, game tells me it's too low. Don't know what could be the reason here. Setup is basic, using the real tone cable from 2013.

Any ideas? Would love for some good adivce!

Gustav

Banned
Dudes and Dudettes, Rockers and...Rockets (?), I have a question. What is the most common reason why the game is not picking up my notes? Especially in "hear shaped box" I get tons of misses and "lates", although, to my ears, I can play along the song just fine and I'm in rythm. I always feel like I need to play too fast for Rocksmit taking my notes.

The other problem is I got is that the game tells me that "your guitar volume is very low". I have two guiters, one average, one very good, both work perfectly fine on an amp. Still, game tells me it's too low. Don't know what could be the reason here. Setup is basic, using the real tone cable from 2013.

Any ideas? Would love for some good adivce!
If you're on windows 8, start the game, alt tab out of it once you can hear your guitar in the game, and check your sound input settings. For some reason the real tone cable defaults to 17 instead of 100. If you put it in 100 you should have less problems. You will have to do this every time you start the game.

Thrakier

If you're on windows 8, start the game, alt tab out of it once you can hear your guitar in the game, and check your sound input settings. For some reason the real tone cable defaults to 17 instead of 100. If you put it in 100 you should have less problems. You will have to do this every time you start the game.

Wow, I'm on Win 8. I checked the settings of the cable once and it was at 100. But I wasn't in the game then. Thank you, need to test it out.

kvk1

I have the same problem with Heart Shaped Box. The intro and verse sections are missed notes galore. I have played the song perfectly for years before attempting it in game, so I know it's not something weird of my own doing. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the program's poor recognition of notes coming from a downtuned guitar. But yeah, it kind of sucks.

Xyber

I have the same problem with Heart Shaped Box. The intro and verse sections are missed notes galore. I have played the song perfectly for years before attempting it in game, so I know it's not something weird of my own doing. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the program's poor recognition of notes coming from a downtuned guitar. But yeah, it kind of sucks.

I don't have any problems with HSB (apart from playing it good, but that's not the games fault. :p ). I've played custom songs that go way lower in tuning without any problems too.

Not saying the games note detection is great, I've had some problems with it too. But if it's missing a bunch of notes then there might be something more to it.

fred

You can adjust the guitar's volume in the options. Once you change that from 17 to whatever value you want it to be it stays at that volume every time you start the game.

kvk1

But if it's missing a bunch of notes then there might be something more to it.

I've noticed it on a lot of songs. I always just figured the intonation on my guitar was off.

Yeah, spent the afternoon fiddling with everything, testing out other tracks, etc. Looks like I have an intonation problem with anything below E standard. Kind of a bummer. Wouldn't have really noticed it if not for the software though, so kudos to that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just picked this up last night. I really enjoyed Rocksmith, but wow what an amazing improvement. So polished, and truck loads of content and lessons. An amazing accomplishment.

However, I heard that in this version you could start songs at higher difficulty levels, and not have to start at brain-dead on each new one. How do you do this?

I just picked this up last night. I really enjoyed Rocksmith, but wow what an amazing improvement. So polished, and truck loads of content and lessons. An amazing accomplishment.

However, I heard that in this version you could start songs at higher difficulty levels, and not have to start at brain-dead on each new one. How do you do this?

Watch this

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I can't see them trying to go to anything quicker then bi annually
there was 2 years between rocksmith and rocksmith 2014 and if its gonna remain a small team I think 2 years is needed to make significant enough changes to the core program to be worth it. I don't think you can EAsports this kind of game without killing it.

Technically, an all-new Rocksmith is probably a better value-proposition than just buying DLC. Rocksmith released with about 50 songs, and Rocksmith 2014 over 60. If a three-song DLC pack is $8, then for $60 you're looking at 22ish songs if you were buying as DLC. So realistically, if a Rocksmith 2015 did exist, even if you were only interested in half the songs in the game, you're better off than if they were DLC.

A lot of that is just fuzzy head math, but should check out.

fred

You're all forgetting about the Expansion option in the main menu. I can see at least two expansions coming this year - BluesSmith and MetalSmith. Will probably include extra lessons and songs specific to that genre of music. At least that's what I'd do if I was in charge of the franchise. Have them available at a decent price and I'd certainly jump on BluesSmith.

IMO the expansion can be these things:

1) A band themed expansion
2) A alternate tuning expansion for Session Mode
3) New instruments for Session Mode
4) New time signatures for session mode

Given that he's a musician, that makes sense. But yeah, I don't know what else they can do for the core game outside of release more songs or even more niche things.

A weekly twitch stream would be a good idea, better communication to questions being tossed at @Rocksmithgame and on Facebook as well. More contests/events incentives. It's little stuff but it helps to build a better community.

A Day To Remember Song Pack - $11.99

* A Day To Remember "All Signs Point to Lauderdale" (Drop C Tuning)
* A Day To Remember "All I Want" (Drop C Tuning)
* A Day To Remember "If It Means a Lot to You" (D Standard Tuning)
* A Day To Remember "It's Complicated" (Eb Drop Db Tuning)
* A Day To Remember "The Downfall of Us All" (Drop C Tuning)

Kaladin

I'm kind of side tracked with this game. I haven't played any new songs, or played the mini games a lot lately.

I've just been messing around with the Tone Editor and finding a sound that I like. This feature is kind of amazing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have 2014 on the PS3, might pick up the first game on PC seeing as I have the cable already. Shame I don't have the sequel on the PC too, would be good to have everything in the same place. Is the first game still worth playing if you have the second? There's a fair few songs on there I like, but with all the talk of the improvements in the 2014 edition I'm wary it won't play as well.

I have 2014 on the PS3, might pick up the first game on PC seeing as I have the cable already. Shame I don't have the sequel on the PC too, would be good to have everything in the same place. Is the first game still worth playing if you have the second? There's a fair few songs on there I like, but with all the talk of the improvements in the 2014 edition I'm wary it won't play as well.

Get the first game for PC and import it into the second game. Aside from the mini games and the Clapton songs you aren't missing out on much.

h9u0L0E.png

EnbcTgU.png

Those are the hints for next week's DLC so far

edit: Matchbox Twenty

Matchbox Twenty Song Pack – $11.99

Matchbox Twenty “3AM” (Capo Required)
Matchbox Twenty “How Far We’ve Come”
Matchbox Twenty “Push” (Eb Standard)
Matchbox Twenty “Unwell” (Drop D [Bass])
Matchbox Twenty “She’s So Mean” (Drop D [Bass])

Facism

i find the DLC overpriced and not to my tastes, but god i would throw money at a Meshuggah pack if they could manage to transcribe and set that shit for 6 strings.

Top Bottom