• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

If it hadn't been for the custom tracks people do, I would have lost interesting in this a lot quicker. Thankfully there's a good community doing a lot of tracks I'm interested in (still not enough Queen though!).

AFI Song Pack – $9.99

AFI “Girl’s Not Grey” (Eb Standard)
AFI “Miss Murder” (Eb Standard)
AFI “Silver and Cold” (Eb Standard)
AFI “Totalimmortal” (No Rhythm)

Thrakier

I still have so many problems that the game isn't picking up my notes in downtuned songs...it's annoying. I tried the tricks like pressing softer etc. but nothing helped so far.

You use a real guitar or bass to play this. No plastic instruments work in this one.
I knew that was this game's thing but wasn't sure if plastic instruments were an option.

I do have a bass so I may have to get this. What is meant by the descriptors next to the AFI songs there?

Konosuke

Do you guys have any tips about buying used guitars? I saw a used squier strat at 80€ in a pawn shop, new ones retail at 129€. I'm a total newbie here.

number11

Just got this game and totally new to guitar. What's the best way of learning?

Following the mission order? Doing all the lessons first? Following the recommended song list? Or focusing on just 2-3 songs?

Just got this game and totally new to guitar. What's the best way of learning?

Following the mission order? Doing all the lessons first? Following the recommended song list? Or focusing on just 2-3 songs?
Do a few of the beginning lessons and then try a song. After that you should get an idea of what you want to try next.

On my x360 profile, I've got the transferred songs from RS1 and some DLC songs. However that isn't showing up on my kid's gamertag/profile. Any way to transfer that stuff over?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On my x360 profile, I've got the transferred songs from RS1 and some DLC songs. However that isn't showing up on my kid's gamertag/profile. Any way to transfer that stuff over?
If it's like other DLC, that means you need to do a license transfer to your console so that other profiles can use that DLC.

If it's like other DLC, that means you need to do a license transfer to your console so that other profiles can use that DLC.
Huh. For some reason it wouldn't let me do license transfer. What seemed to work was logging into my profile first, loading up the game, then quitting and logging into the kid's profile. Did that and all the extra content showed up.

fred

People on the official Rocksmith forum have started to do a Weekly Session Jam. Each week a preset band, key and scale are chosen. Week 1 was the Modern Blues band, E Major and Blues scale. Here's my rendition:

fred playing the Blues.

There was a recommendation for everyone to keep it to 5 minutes or under but it's very difficult to keep track of time lol.

Week 2 is Core Electronic, C Major and Mixolydian scale but I haven't managed to put something together yet. It's difficult because the band isn't guitar-y enough for my liking.

I'm also pretty sure I've nicked the hook in the Blues jam above from somewhere, it's the D string fret 12 and a hammer-on to fret 14. It's driving me nuts, can't remember where I've heard that hook before but I know it's not mine lmfao. It's kind of The Thrill Is Gone-ish but that's not it. If someone knows their Blues please let me know where I've 'borrowed' it from!

number11

A couple days/hours into this game and I'm already seeing an improvement in my speed and muscle memory.

Although this game definitely makes you sound better than what you really are. I tried doing some of the riffs I learned from this game on a regular amp.. and sounded terrible lol

Bob Dylan Song Pack – $7.99

Bob Dylan “Just Like a Woman” (Capo Required [Rhythm])
Bob Dylan “Like a Rolling Stone”
Bob Dylan “Subterranean Homesick Blues”

ShamePain

Banned
Would a Telecaster be a good beginner's guitar/suitable for RS14? I've always wanted to learn electric guitar, but then my family didn't have the money to pay for a music teacher back when I was a kid. So, now that I can pay for my own stuff, I've decided to go for it lol.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Would a Telecaster be a good beginner's guitar/suitable for RS14? I've always wanted to learn electric guitar, but then my family didn't have the money to pay for a music teacher back when I was a kid. So, now that I can pay for my own stuff, I've decided to go for it lol.

A tele is a great guitar and would work just fine. Go for it.

fred

Yup, a Tele will be fine.

One thing though is that you may want to try watching the Beginner videos on justinguitar.com before and during using Rocksmith. Will get you well up to speed with the basics and they're free to watch.

And I've found that learning new songs is easier if you put the difficulty up to 100% and bring the speed down to a level that you can handle and gradually increment the speed percentage.

Also if you get the PC version you can have access to over 3,000 custom songs ranging from classic tunes to music from TV series, Anime, films and video games.

Garbage Song Pack – $7.99

Garbage “I Think I’m Paranoid” (Drop D [Bass])
Garbage “Only Happy When It Rains”
Garbage “Stupid Girl” (No Rhythm)

UCTNn8i.jpg

Kaladin

Found another use for the game today....well, the cable at least. I can plug the cable into my PC and record some guitar tracks using audacity. I can even do that with my cigar box guitar which has a piezo pick-up.

It's kind of awesome.

Just bought this and really like it. I was kinda stuck with my own guitar routine, not having much inspiration for new songs to learn and therefore no progress any more. Rocksmith really helps there. Been shredding away on The Trooper -lots of fun!

Rifrepeater is very nice, but it's a bit of an oversight that there's no rewind funtion.

Is there a GAF community for the game? I own the 360 version - BengaBenga81, feel free to add. Or is everyone on the official forums for the weekly challenges?

Thrakier

Not really. I don't actually hear what I record with my current setup till I play it back anyway, so lag isn't a factor.

Could you describe how you do it? Can you record full songs as well?

EDIT:

NVM, got it working. Any tips on recording latency though? It's a non issue when free playing, but when you record songs, it's hard to overcome. I'm always lagging behind a bit. Very noticable.

Xyber

EDIT:

NVM, got it working. Any tips on recording latency though? It's a non issue when free playing, but when you record songs, it's hard to overcome. I'm always lagging behind a bit. Very noticable.

Download the ASIO driver linked above, when using that together with the Rocksmith cable it works great and barely any lag at all. It can't compete with a real audio interface when it comes to latency, but it's close enough.

I used that for almost a year together with Guitar Rig 5 when I wanted to play without the game before I bought myself a Fast Track C400.

Kaladin

EDIT:

I use it pretty much use it exclusively to record my daily playing so it's not really an issue for me.

Thrakier

Download the ASIO driver linked above, when using that together with the Rocksmith cable it works great and barely any lag at all. It can't compete with a real audio interface when it comes to latency, but it's close enough.

I used that for almost a year together with Guitar Rig 5 when I wanted to play without the game before I bought myself a Fast Track C400.

I have these ASIO drivers installed anyway and I use them with my JamVox. Do I need to activate them somehow for the game?

Btw, is there a way to connect the guitar with your PC and for Rocksmith but with a higher quality solution then the Rocksmith cable?

Xyber

I have these ASIO drivers installed anyway and I use them with my JamVox. Do I need to activate them somehow for the game?

Btw, is there a way to connect the guitar with your PC and for Rocksmith but with a higher quality solution then the Rocksmith cable?

You can't use ASIO with the game, so you can't improve anything there. Not that I think that is needed anyway, the latency in the game is already unnoticeable for me.

And there's no official way to use your own equipment in the game. I know the first one had a no cable hack, but that was far from great.

People on the official Rocksmith forum have started to do a Weekly Session Jam. Each week a preset band, key and scale are chosen. Week 1 was the Modern Blues band, E Major and Blues scale. Here's my rendition:

I'm also pretty sure I've nicked the hook in the Blues jam above from somewhere, it's the D string fret 12 and a hammer-on to fret 14. It's driving me nuts, can't remember where I've heard that hook before but I know it's not mine lmfao. It's kind of The Thrill Is Gone-ish but that's not it. If someone knows their Blues please let me know where I've 'borrowed' it from!

Sounds like the intro of Slide Away by Oasis to me.

theosi

I played this pretty religiously for awhile and as much as I loved it, I kinda just dropped it and let my guitar gather dust. I picked it up again a week ago and was surprised to find that after a few songs I was easily hitting stuff that I couldn't hit at all before, like my brain had learned with the downtime. Now I'm hopelessly addicted again and playing better than ever! I don't think I could do a damn thing on guitar without notes streaming infront of me, but god damn does it feel great hit some perfect riffs and feel like a boss.

Worst part easily was building callouses again :(

Ace 8095

Got the game along with the base Epiphone LP Special II. I've got an acoustic that I played a little back in college and could strum the basic cords pretty well. I never took it to the next level however so I'm hoping this will provide the motivation and feedback I need.

Top Bottom