• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

DrBo42

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting into Rocksmith, recently bought a electric guitar. I'm about to order a real tone cable, but I'd like to if the cable is only usable in-game or if it can be used to record with audio programs and the like?

Absolutely can be used as an input for DAWs and the like.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting into Rocksmith, recently bought a electric guitar. I'm about to order a real tone cable, but I'd like to if the cable is only usable in-game or if it can be used to record with audio programs and the like?

It gets detected as a mic so it should be usable with anything that records audio really.

Power Ballad Singles ($2.99/song)

Boston “Amanda” – Drop D [Bass]
Cinderella “Don’t Know What You Got (Till it’s Gone)”
Extreme “More Than Words” – Eb Standard
Poison “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” – Eb Standard
Tesla “Love Song”

I've been playing the Steam version on the regular for a few weeks now, almost 30 hours so far. I rarely ever do exercises or arcade stuff, all I do is play the songs I like over and over again. So far I've managed to build up a neat personal setlist that I like to go through whenever I play:

- Muse's Knights of Cydonia
- Deep Purple's Highway Star
- Dio's Holy Diver
- Aerosmith's Walk this Way
- Iron Maiden's The Trooper and Fear of the Dark

I'm well over 80% on all of them, and over 90% on Maiden's songs (rhythm only, haha). I recently picked up the Doors song pack and the rest of the Iron Maiden one. I don't really aim to ever play any of those to perfection, but I figure if I ever get enough chops to play them without too much trouble, I'd be more than happy.

PS4 EU - today we have been promised a mass-upload to the store. While i'll certainly be watching to see how the day unfolds, they've already uploaded a paltry 5 tracks - 3 BFVM and two Tom Petty. Hopefully it's just because it's early during the day and the uploading will continue.

Won't Back Down - recently in the news after someone plagiarised it - is only 79p, so grab before someone at SCEE fixes it.

Ok, the good news. You have to search by name, but PS4 packs including Rage, Foos and Tom Petty are uploaded.

The bad news - I just purchased Rage pack 1 and a few other individual tracks. I've received my receipt, yet NONE of the music is in my download queue. If I search for the content in the store, it doesn't show as purchased.

Bra-fucking-vo, Sony. Bra-fucking-vo.

UPDATE: After talking to Sony support, I managed to download the content via my library, however RATM Pack 1 has actually downloaded Pack 2 (the thumbnail shows pack 1, but the content is wrong and only three tracks when I paid for four). It's been escalated, but if you're planning to buy today be aware...

Seether Song Pack – $7.99

Seether “Broken” by Seether featuring Amy Lee – Eb Standard
Seether “Fake it” – Drop C
Seether “Remedy” – Eb Drop Db

EU Store leak (purchased and works)

Janes Addiction Pack:

Been Caught Stealing
Just Because
Mountain Song
Jane Says
And in the "Eh?" selection slot, Superhero (because why have something as incredible as Three Days when you can have the theme tune from Entourage, I presume)

Currently having a hard time with Just Because as the game doesn't want to acknowledge the G string today for some reason.

Finally got to play, really fun game. It strikes a weird balance between being condescending "good job, nice.... excellent, way to go!" and then not explaining anything in the guitarcade.

Definitely gonna play some more this week. Can't believe there appears to be no sign of video settings on PC either.

jumper

EU Store leak (purchased and works)

Janes Addiction Pack:

Been Caught Stealing
Just Because
Mountain Song
Jane Says
And in the "Eh?" selection slot, Superhero (because why have something as incredible as Three Days when you can have the theme tune from Entourage, I presume)

Currently having a hard time with Just Because as the game doesn't want to acknowledge the G string today for some reason.

Very cool, I hope this is the next DLC. I'm pretty happy with the selection, even though personally I'd replace Superhero and Been Caught Stealing with something better, like Stop and Trip Away. The other three are solid picks.

Three Days would be cool too, but that song's over 10 minutes. Are there any DLC songs that long?

Rapstah

Been Caught Stealing could be cool. May actually be more playable on real guitar than whatever the hell that was in Rock Band 3 with all the muted chords and rhythms.

Mountain Song is a bad pick.

Very cool, I hope this is the next DLC. I'm pretty happy with the selection, even though personally I'd replace Superhero and Been Caught Stealing with something better, like Stop and Trip Away. The other three are solid picks.

Three Days would be cool too, but that song's over 10 minutes. Are there any DLC songs that long?

Riders on the Storm and Freebird are both pretty lengthy, not sure if ten minutes but it's doable.

I would have loved Stop and Trip Away too. Pretty much anything from Shocking or Ritual. I'm a pretty terrible guitar player, but if playing around with a guitar i'll often play the riff from Then She Did, so a little upset that didn't make the cut, would have been a rare mastered track for me!

Thank christ Great Escape Artist is completely overlooked.

Xyber

Free Bird is about 9½ minutes I think. There's nothing that stops a song from being over 10 minutes (at least on PC), played a 42 minute custom today just for the heck of it.

Ixion

Hey everyone. I bought rocksmith last week, but I've been having an issue. The D string doesn't seem to be tuned correctly sometimes. The game will say it's tuned, but then the song won't register it, and will think I'm playing the fret below (usually).

Is this a common problem, and how can I go about fixing it? Thanks.

Xyber

Hey everyone. I bought rocksmith last week, but I've been having an issue. The D string doesn't seem to be tuned correctly sometimes. The game will say it's tuned, but then the song won't register it, and will think I'm playing the fret below (usually).

Not talking about the G-string? That's usually the one which can be a bit off on a lot of guitars. I have never had any problems with D.

But you should check the intonation, is it in tune when you play a note on the 12th fret? If not, you can tweak it with the screw at the bridge.

Do you mean when doing a drop D tuning or some other tuning that makes the 6th string D? If so, I've found it helps to pause right after the song starts and re-tune using the chromatic tuner at the bottom left. Try to get the string to register the note you want right as it's plucked rather than on sustaining it. The initial tune usually ends up tuning the sustain rather than the pluck, causing the game to register a miss because it's slightly off during the short window around the pluck. This may help for other tuning issues, but drop D and the like are the ones that gave me the most problems and this fixed it pretty well for me.

Yet another week of nothing on EU PSN, unless you count the songs the already leaked last week.

They haven't fixed my incorrectly labelled DLC pack issue either. Would be heading to Steam if it didn't involve leaving so much content on the table.

My wallet will be sealed...

What's happened to your avatar Lucha? The stuff bad dreams are made of...

WrassleGAF Royal Rumble Avatar Bet! We all submitted a wrestler to enter a Royal Rumble on WWE2K. The AI played it out and we all had to wear an avatar of whoever won the Royal Rumble! We do it every year, it's a funny gamble.

I don't hate Papa Roach though, I'm just surprised there's enough well known songs for an entire pack. However, I guess this is a fan pack rather than an overall guitarist's pack, which is nice.

That actually sounds fun. I'd visit wrestlegaf, but it would involve coming out of the wrasslin' closet and I don't think I'm ready.

Regarding Papa Roach, I would have assumed Last Resort would be in a 2000's nu-metal tracks that time hasn't been kind to pack or something, along with alien ant farm and limp Bizkit

That actually sounds fun. I'd visit wrestlegaf, but it would involve coming out of the wrasslin' closet and I don't think I'm ready.

Regarding Papa Roach, I would have assumed Last Resort would be in a 2000's nu-metal tracks that time hasn't been kind to pack or something, along with alien ant farm and limp Bizkit

My Wife was a fan of Papa Roach back in the day, but she was only able to name 4 songs... all of which were from their first album! I forgot they did the theme song for WWE's RAW during 2004 or so too, so that might be on.

As for WrassleGAF come lurk in the monthly threads for a bit, we talk about all sorts and it's a pretty friendly community.

Ixion

Not talking about the G-string?

Actually, it looks like I was referring to the E string. The thickest string at the top. Sorry for the noob mistake.

But you should check the intonation, is it in tune when you play a note on the 12th fret? If not, you can tweak it with the screw at the bridge.

Checking the intonation seems complicated, but I might have to do that. Rocksmith doesn't have anything built in to check that, does it?

I've found it helps to pause right after the song starts and re-tune using the chromatic tuner at the bottom left. Try to get the string to register the note you want right as it's plucked rather than on sustaining it.

OK, I tried doing this but was a little confused. If I pluck a string, I want the chromatic tuner meter to stay around the middle? I don't want it to go too far to one side?

Xyber

Actually, it looks like I was referring to the E string. The thickest string at the top. Sorry for the noob mistake.

Checking the intonation seems complicated, but I might have to do that. Rocksmith doesn't have anything built in to check that, does it?

OK, I tried doing this but was a little confused. If I pluck a string, I want the chromatic tuner meter to stay around the middle? I don't want it to go too far to one side?

Easiest way is to either pause a song and it will display a little tuner down to the left, or access it by pressing the button for Tools or something in the main menu I think. Press the string just hard enough to get a clean tone on the 12th fret and strum it. It should stay right in the middle or close to it if the intonation is good (on that string). If you are unsure about tweaking it yourself you can take it to a shop for a proper setup (which is something I should do with mine too since I need to get it repaired as well, but don't have the money for that atm).

And yes, it should stay in the middle. If it goes to the right you might be pressing the strings too hard, that's especially important to keep in mind when you tune down.

Papa Roach Song Pack – $7.99

Papa Roach “Getting Away With Murder” – Drop C
Papa Roach “Last Resort” – Drop D
Papa Roach “Scars” – Eb Drop Db

Xyber

Does anyone know how to get sound when I record with shadowplay? I can't seem to get it to work.

Don't think it's possible with shadowplay since you can't pick the audio source to record from. To be able to record Rocksmith audio while still using audio exclusivity you need to use the Stereo Mix (there are a few different names for this, like "What U Hear", depending on your motherboard) as the source, nothing else works.

If you disable audio exclusivity Shadowplay should be able to record the audio but you will have more delay while playing.

Dxtory (costs a bit of money, this is what I use) and Bandicam (good free version available but has a watermark) both have the option to set the audio source and record the game with audio exclusivity on. I think you can use the Shadowplay recording for the video capture in Bandicam if your CPU is not good enough, but I'm not 100% on that.

Link0080

If you disable audio exclusivity Shadowplay should be able to record the audio but you will have more delay while playing.

I did this and kept messing with the settings but nothing worked until I thought what if I flip the on/off switch on shadowplay while I have the game loaded and that worked lol.

The Cars DLC next week

No fucking way. That's DLC I've been hopeful for since the original Rocksmith, but never expected it to happen. Not that they're extremely hard to license or anything, but I figured they'd have enough other bands lined up to neglect The Cars or push a single or a one huge hit on-disc.

I don't know if it's because i'm a brit or just ignorant, but I see a lot of people excited over The Cars yet the only song I know of theirs is 'Drive'.

The positive response i've seen to the DLC has piqued my interest...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I don't know if it's because i'm a brit or just ignorant, but I see a lot of people excited over The Cars yet the only song I know of theirs is 'Drive'.

The positive response i've seen to the DLC has piqued my interest...

So many amazing songs I can't wait.
http://youtu.be/7BDBzgHXf64?list=PLu41Xe0rjqsCG0kKE3W4Wv5bhyUNCleBH

Specifically

let the good times roll
my best friends girl
just what i needed
you're all that i got tonight
moving in stereo
Let's go
shake it up
Magic
Drive
You might think

Top Tier Pop Rock Band

The Cars Song Pack – $11.99

The Cars “Just What I Needed”
The Cars “Good Times Roll”
The Cars “Bye Bye Love”
The Cars “Let’s Go”
The Cars “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”

The Cars Song Pack – $11.99

The Cars “Just What I Needed”
The Cars “Good Times Roll”
The Cars “Bye Bye Love”
The Cars “Let’s Go”
The Cars “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”

I've just checked out the trailer and the songs look fun - i don't want to buy the entire pack though, so if someone could recommend the best song in the pack for me (or two at a stretch) that would be great!

Kind of a lousy selection for The Cars, but just what I needed and you're all I've got tonight should be solid rockers.

I've been playing guitar for a long time and just picked this up a few weeks back as a curiosity, and also cause another friend bought it and wants to learn bass off it so I figured I could do it with him and have been enjoying it. Was actually surprised to see The Killers DLC I bought mostly being slotted near the end of the list when sorting by complexity, but then I understood.

The game helps me work on my dynamics a lot, and star chords would help me with memorization (I never did take to flash cards) if I didn't have to grind through so much of it before it threw out more complicated chords. The master mode is a really neat trick and reward.

I guess its kind of bad with humbuckers? It really struggles to read the upper register when I play my les paul, but my danelectro with lipstick pickups reads fine. My favorite guitar is an Ibanez RG XXV but that's got a floating bridge that I keep on Eflat tuning so, kind of a pain.

Disappointed about OG RS DLC not being purchasable on steam if you only have RS14, I REALLY wanted to check out the MCR set when I bought this, any workaround for this?

Xyber

¡HarlequinPanic!;154567591 said:
Disappointed about OG RS DLC not being purchasable on steam if you only have RS14, I REALLY wanted to check out the MCR set when I bought this, any workaround for this?

Unfortunately not, just have to buy it for cheap somewhere in a sale.

Top Bottom