• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Varna

How does that work? Would I basically be pumping the guitar audio to both the amp and the game?

Pretty much what Xyber said. That amp you have has plenty of options for getting tones that go well with whatever kind of music you are playing.

I have a pretty decent speaker system... but yeah, there is nothing like getting a nice clean guitar sound out of your amp. Another benefit is no more latency with the sound.

I've played guitar for many years, but ever since I stopped playing with my bands in Tokyo, I've been pretty unmotivated. I've decided to buy this in hopes that it'll be just the sort of motivation I need to pick up new songs, because all I do otherwise is technical work. I think I'm pretty excited, but a couple things are dampening my enthusiasm: the DLC prices (I really wanna pick up those Golden Bomber and B'z songs, but damn!) and uplay.... will I have to install uplay for this?

Anyway, ordering now. Should be here in a couple days.

Edit: is it easy to integrate custom songs?

Customs are easy enough to install. DLC goes on sale with everything else usually.

As far as uplay goes and I believe this is the only game that does this. It's integrated directly into the game. So you just boot-up, login once and you are set.

Aizo

Banned
My worries have been resolved. Does the dlc go on sale often? I will impatiently await it to buy Muse and Japanese bands.

DLC next week is a Blues 5 pack, including BB King or maybe Albert King.

In typical Rocksmith fashion they're not revealing the tracks yet because reasons.

I'll likely stump up some cash.

Aizo

Banned
Game arrived today and I just played for the past hour. I'm pretty impressed! I was a bit confused when I was playing session mode, because the way they say to play an A Harmonic Minor mode... isn't the way that I've always played it. I don't know why they put a different fingering..

Excited to play more tomorrow when I don't have work! I have to stop myself for now, though :(

Xyber

Game arrived today and I just played for the past hour. I'm pretty impressed! I was a bit confused when I was playing session mode, because the way they say to play an A Harmonic Minor mode... isn't the way that I've always played it. I don't know why they put a different fingering..

Excited to play more tomorrow when I don't have work! I have to stop myself for now, though :(

Did you zoom out so you could see more of the neck? You can see the shapes for the entire neck and not just in one place that way. You just learned it in a different position I guess?

The Rocksmith Funk Pack*

(*not a real DLC pack).

The Meters: Cissy Strut https://youtu.be/4_iC0MyIykM

Rick James: Give it to Me (I can't hear much guitar so one for the bassists..and why not?) https://youtu.be/1dNIQVYGXbM

Parliament: Give Up the Funk https://youtu.be/J08EA0lKyP8 (perhaps they're saving it for Hornsmith)

James Brown - Sex Machine https://youtu.be/XeNY-_Jo6oQ

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly https://youtu.be/-cmo6MRYf5g

Bonus track: Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft https://youtu.be/nFvRvSxsW-I

What about you Lucha? Any classics you would like to strut your funky stuff to in Rocksmith?

The Rocksmith Funk Pack*

(*not a real DLC pack).

The Meters: Cissy Strut https://youtu.be/4_iC0MyIykM

Rick James: Give it to Me (I can't hear much guitar so one for the bassists..and why not?) https://youtu.be/1dNIQVYGXbM

Parliament: Give Up the Funk https://youtu.be/J08EA0lKyP8 (perhaps they're saving it for Hornsmith)

James Brown - Sex Machine https://youtu.be/XeNY-_Jo6oQ

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly https://youtu.be/-cmo6MRYf5g

Bonus track: Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft https://youtu.be/nFvRvSxsW-I

What about you Lucha? Any classics you would like to strut your funky stuff to in Rocksmith?

I like this pack!

I'll have to sleep on it and post something in the morning, but it'll have James Brown in it for sure!

Aizo

Banned
Did you zoom out so you could see more of the neck? You can see the shapes for the entire neck and not just in one place that way. You just learned it in a different position I guess?
There shouldn't be more than one position from the A note on the fifth fret of the low E string, though, right??

Xyber

There shouldn't be more than one position from the A note on the fifth fret of the low E string, though, right??

I don't know shit about this stuff. :p

But I just checked and it is showing all the right notes, it just doesn't highlight them like you would normally play it from the 5th fret I guess. Probably because they want to keep it as simple as possible when you have it zoomed in so you don't have to move your hand more than 1 fret at most.

But it did have all the notes in the right place if I compared it to this, just had to zoom out one time to see all the notes you "should" be playing for that one. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b6/ae/4e/b6ae4e861b47a65f78eccf866a393340.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Hahaha. I understood my issue once I went back to session mode. I'm so used to seeing scale charts with high e on the top. Since that's how I'm used to seeing tab, too, I switched the settings. Muuuuch better.

Right now, I do have a major issue, though, which I imagine has a solution. I told the game I'm very experienced in hopes that the difficulty would be the highest possible, and I'd be allowed to play with songs as their supposed to be played. Unfortunately, if I miss a couple notes, it switches me down to the difficulty of a beginner, since I've only played a couple songs. Can I make the difficulty stay at 100? I keep going back during the song to switch it, but I just want it to stay.

Are there any Rocksmith bassists on here?

I recently purchased a new Squier Jaguar bass - inexpensive (under £200) but well reviewed. As I mainly wanted to mess about in Rocksmith with it, seemed like the best option for the price.

However, the low E string is a pain in the ass. I'll tune it, then the tuner will decide it's not in tune, call up the tuner again... then decide it's in tune after all. Then I get the "are you sure you're playing a bass??" message, usually followed by a 'your bass is too quiet" which is weird because I can hear it pulsing out of my speakers (and yes, it's calibrated).

Downtuning on a bass is just a waste of time, so standard e tuning across the board. The amount of infuriating score attack moments where it can't pick up the string though.. grrr.

Is this a common bass issue?

Xyber

Hahaha. I understood my issue once I went back to session mode. I'm so used to seeing scale charts with high e on the top. Since that's how I'm used to seeing tab, too, I switched the settings. Muuuuch better.

Right now, I do have a major issue, though, which I imagine has a solution. I told the game I'm very experienced in hopes that the difficulty would be the highest possible, and I'd be allowed to play with songs as their supposed to be played. Unfortunately, if I miss a couple notes, it switches me down to the difficulty of a beginner, since I've only played a couple songs. Can I make the difficulty stay at 100? I keep going back during the song to switch it, but I just want it to stay.

I don't know if the "Auto level" thingy in riff repeater prevents it from going down as well, but maybe try disabling that as well.

I wish there was a setting to disable dynamic difficulty completely and always have all songs maxed out. Right now whenever I play a new song I select all sections in riff repeater and max them out. Can't really remember the last time I had something level down on me and I miss plenty of stuff.

I recently purchased a new Squier Jaguar bass - inexpensive (under £200) but well reviewed. As I mainly wanted to mess about in Rocksmith with it, seemed like the best option for the price.

However, the low E string is a pain in the ass. I'll tune it, then the tuner will decide it's not in tune, call up the tuner again... then decide it's in tune after all. Then I get the "are you sure you're playing a bass??" message, usually followed by a 'your bass is too quiet" which is weird because I can hear it pulsing out of my speakers (and yes, it's calibrated).

Downtuning on a bass is just a waste of time, so standard e tuning across the board. The amount of infuriating score attack moments where it can't pick up the string though.. grrr.

One of the solutions to fix this problem on guitar was to raise the pickups a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPTcEGvkd4&feature=youtu.be&t=460
Maybe try that?

I have the same issue with bass. It gets worse with low tunings. I usually get the program to register the tuning at some point, but it can take minutes of going through the strings untill it registers all of them.

Therion

I have the same issue with bass. It gets worse with low tunings. I usually get the program to register the tuning at some point, but it can take minutes of going through the strings untill it registers all of them.
Hmmm... I've played Rocksmith with three different basses and never had a problem with the more standard tunings. If I go to a low C I have to be a little careful how I play since the strings have gotten a bit floppy at that point, but I don't have any problems in the tuner itself. It really sounds like a level calibration problem to me.

Hmmm... I've played Rocksmith with three different basses and never had a problem with the more standard tunings. If I go to a low C I have to be a little careful how I play since the strings have gotten a bit floppy at that point, but I don't have any problems in the tuner itself. It really sounds like a level calibration problem to me.

Yeah, I don't know. I have tried playing softly or harder, and recalibrating numerous times and the issue persists. There's something wrong in either the rocksmith cable or the program itself if you ask me. I have no trouble using my bass with my amps and and my pedals.

Although, it might have something to do with pickups I suppose. What kind of pickups and/or electronics do you have on your three basses? I got passive Fender Custom Vintage '59 P-bass pickup, and I quess it's not the hottest one out there when it comes to volume.

Xyber

Yeah, I don't know. I have tried playing softly or harder, and recalibrating numerous times and the issue persists. There's something wrong in either the rocksmith cable or the program itself if you ask me. I have no trouble using my bass with my amps and and my pedals.

Although, it might have something to do with pickups I suppose. What kind of pickups and/or electronics do you have on your three basses? I got passive Fender Custom Vintage '59 P-bass pickup, and I quess it's not the hottest one out there when it comes to volume.

The game is more strict than the first one when it comes to volumes from the instrument to make it more accurate. While you still might hear it just fine both in the game and with amps, it can still be a bit too quiet for the games liking.

Try raising the pickup a bit, it's really easy to do and just as easy to go back to what it was. Maybe it's not completely level now and the side under the E string is a bit lower and that could be causing the problem with that string.

craker

I had a similar problem with my bass. What solved it was during calibration I played more softly (like how I would normally play when doing a song) so it adjusted it to be louder. When I followed the instructions and played "loudly" during calibration, I had the "volume too low" message popping up all the time and also some detection problems with the low E at low notes. They used to have a manual setting for calibration that made this a lot easier on the PS3 version.

Lady Gaia

I've been playing bass with Rocksmith for 18 months and love it, but low note detection can definitely be finicky. I also get the "low volume" and "make sure you're using a bass" messages but neither seems critical as I don't have significant detection issues at E Standard turnings. It's Drop D that tends to be touchiest for me, but then I don't play any songs that drop the low E to a C. I imagine that's a nightmare.

My best advice? Rocksmith will okay a tuning even if it's a little sharp or flat, but it has more trouble detecting notes if your tuning is on the sharp side. Aim to tune about 2 cents flat and you'll have a better experience, as a string will sound slightly sharp when initially plucked and this effect seems to take a while to settle under less tension. Also make sure your intonation is good or you'll have endless trouble in Rocksmith. Pause and test whether strings are in tune both open and fretted at the octave (using light pressure, because pressing down hard when fretting will also cause a note to go sharp — it's not as pronounced with thicker strings but the effect is still there.)

Blues Song Pack – $11.99

Bobby “Blue” Bland “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City”
Freddie King “Hide Away”
Howlin’ Wolf “Spoonful” – E Standard: A446
John Lee Hooker “Boom Boom”
Johnny Winter “Be Careful With A Fool”

Blues Song Pack – $11.99

Bobby “Blue” Bland “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City”
Freddie King “Hide Away”
Howlin’ Wolf “Spoonful” – E Standard: A446
John Lee Hooker “Boom Boom”
Johnny Winter “Be Careful With A Fool”

I'll probably just by Boom Boom, though I prefer The Animals version more.

Xyber

All That Remains Song Pack – $7.99

All That Remains “Six”
All That Remains “This Calling”
All That Remains “Two Weeks”

Looking forward to trying This Calling and Two Weeks.

Six only brings back bad memories from GH2 and strumming like a motherfucker until my arm hurt while trying to get 5 stars. D:

Love Singles Song Pack – $7.99

Bill Withers “Lovely Day”
The Cure “Friday I’m In Love” – E Standard: A456 [Lead/Rhythm] / Drop D: A456 [Bass]
Steve Vai “For The Love of God”

Slayer pack? I don't think my wrist can take it :(

Also grats on full membership Ghost!

Thanks Lucha!

Typically, after finally getting my full membership my posting drops through the floor due to real life getting in the way... hence only just seeing your post!

Not particularly bothered about this weeks pack. I love the Cure so may pick up Friday at some point down the road.

Queens of the Stone Age Song Pack

3's and 7's
No One Knows
???
???
???

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

When was 3s & 7s confirmed Toy? I could only see NOK confirmed in the forum.

So many songs I want but I can't help but feel i'll be disappointed when the safe overplayed singles pack appears, but i'll buy regardless.

I also look forward to shouting at my screen when the game refuses to pick up the c tunings on guitar and bass.

I want Mexicola so bad and it ain't gonna happen, is it? (Sniff).

Apart from a few minor missteps (like last weeks 'love' pack for example) the RS team is nailing it with the DLC this year. Such a great variety. Now give me my fantasy funk pack!

Queens of The Stone Age Song Pack – $11.99

* Queens of the Stone Age “3’s & 7’s” – C Standard
* Queens of the Stone Age “I Appear Missing”
* Queens of the Stone Age “Little Sister”
* Queens of the Stone Age “Make It Wit Chu'”
* Queens of the Stone Age “No One Knows” – C Standard

Xyber

Queens of The Stone Age Song Pack – $11.99

* Queens of the Stone Age “3’s & 7’s” – C Standard
* Queens of the Stone Age “I Appear Missing”
* Queens of the Stone Age “Little Sister”
* Queens of the Stone Age “Make It Wit Chu'”
* Queens of the Stone Age “No One Knows” – C Standard

Gah, I really need my tax return. I've not been able to spend anything on songs the last few months.

I appear missing?? Amazing!!

Make it wit chu though? Really?? I like the song but would have preferred anything at all from R or the debut.

In the next chapter of the series 'thoughts from Ghost's arse'...

We've seen a lot of highly-requested DLC appear for Rocksmith, from groups such has Hendrix, Rage to recent additions like Slayer and this week's QOTSA pack.

Each of these packs often has a glaring omission. Where is Hendrix's cross town traffic? Rage's Bullet in the Head? QoTSA's Lost Art? Jane's Addictions Three Days, or Stop? The Cure's Lullaby, A Forest or In Between Days? (sooo much missing Cure), Anthrax (and PE's) Bring the Noise? SOAD's Chop Suey? (That is the missing one, right? Might need to check that). Anyway, I could go on...

My point is.. could it be that these songs are licensed, but being held back for the next Rocksmith edition? They would make a pretty killer out-of-the-box setlist and a strong reason for existing users to upgrade. I would love RS3 undermy Xmas tree with an a focus on an amazing setlist and learning tools and the guitarcade narrowed down to score attack and the few games that actually work well.

Just a thought. I know the RS team isn't at E3 but I can dream, especially after my xcom hopes and dreams were smashed by the words 'Peecee' and 'exclusive'.

Top Bottom