• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

SCEE is trash, even if Ubisoft made a submission error they still make it close to impossible to correct things in time.

If you like music games outside of North America buy an Xbox or make a PSN US account. Problem solved /captainhindsight.jpg

Capt Hindsight indeed, fear of replacing my entire Rocksmith DLC collection is the biggest deterrent for building a gaming PC.

That said, i've just purchased some US credit for Life is Strange - If I purchased FNM from my US account, will it be playable in my EU account? My RS2014 is digital download from that region.

Faith No More Song Pack – $11.99

* Faith No More “Digging the Grave”
* Faith No More “Epic”
* Faith No More “Falling to Pieces”
* Faith No More “From Out of Nowhere”
* Faith No More “Midlife Crisis”

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i gotta say the quality of the dlc's have been fabulous this last year for rocksmith 2014.

Someone must be doing a great job of impressing artists to get them onboard..
Great work

Capt Hindsight indeed, fear of replacing my entire Rocksmith DLC collection is the biggest deterrent for building a gaming PC.

That said, i've just purchased some US credit for Life is Strange - If I purchased FNM from my US account, will it be playable in my EU account? My RS2014 is digital download from that region.

smart money says no, you are stuck in PSN US land

Not digging (lol) the track selection for the FNM pack. Why do so many RS DLC packs feel like they were compiled by someone who doesn't really know the band, so they just wikipedia'd their singles?

Faith No More has seven great studio albums, three of which (Introduce Yourself, Real Thing, Angel Dust) are considered alt rock classics. Their new, first album in years is also fantastic and tracks like Superhero , Sunny Side Up and Matador would have been wonderful... so let's devote the majority of tracks in the five pack to one album.

Sorry to whinge, I just find it frustrating when RS finally releases DLC by an artist I love, only to screw it up.

Incidentally, I love Midlife Crisis, but where's the guitar in that? Some droning power chords over the chorus?

Sorry to rant. At the end of the day i'll still buy it... is SCEE ever bloody sells it, of course.

XShagrath

Not digging (lol) the track selection for the FNM pack. Why do so many RS DLC packs feel like they were compiled by someone who doesn't really know the band, so they just wikipedia'd their singles?
The singles are what's going to bring in the most money. More people have only ever heard Epic than there are FNM fans out there. So they'll buy that because they remember that song from the '90s or from Rock Band.

If you want deeper cuts, get the PC version and go down the customs rabbithole. A quick search shows there are an additional 26 FNM songs available if you go that route.

XShagrath

I'm getting the itch for a new guitar, but I've got a question first.

The guitar I'm looking at has locking tuners. Will this affect changing the tuning? My current guitar has no major problems going from E-standard to C-standard, and I switch up pretty often since there are a lot of different tunings when playing Rocksmith. Locking tuners look like they don't provide very much extra string to play with, so I'm curious about the versatility of them (strictly looking towards Rocksmith). Anyone have them on their instrument and change tunings around?

I'm getting the itch for a new guitar, but I've got a question first.

The guitar I'm looking at has locking tuners. Will this affect changing the tuning? My current guitar has no major problems going from E-standard to C-standard, and I switch up pretty often since there are a lot of different tunings when playing Rocksmith. Locking tuners look like they don't provide very much extra string to play with, so I'm curious about the versatility of them (strictly looking towards Rocksmith). Anyone have them on their instrument and change tunings around?

They are a pain in the arse to use for Rocksmith, I've used one for ages and I basically have to tune it to a set of songs I want to play in a single tuning. I went back to my old bog standard cheapy Tanglewood and I've enjoyed Rocksmith much more being able to tune quickly. I guess you could see if they offer a Floyd Rose D-Tuner so you can at least go from E standard to Drop D quickly.

XShagrath

They are a pain in the arse to use for Rocksmith, I've used one for ages and I basically have to tune it to a set of songs I want to play in a single tuning. I went back to my old bog standard cheapy Tanglewood and I've enjoyed Rocksmith much more being able to tune quickly. I guess you could see if they offer a Floyd Rose D-Tuner so you can at least go from E standard to Drop D quickly.

I asked another guitarist friend of mine, and he seems to think you can use them just like a regular tuner (don't lock it and just wrap the string around the post). I would think that would solve the issues.

Here's the one I currently have (with a tremol-no installed)
http://www.espguitars.com/products/9698-m-100fm-stblk-l-h?category_id=1964646-left-handed-guitars

Here's what I'm looking at getting soon (this week?)
http://www.espguitars.com/products/9524-ec-1000-vb-l-h

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I have grover locking tuners where you just put the string thru the hole and it locks as you turn the peg..usually about 1/2 turn of string when in standard tuning so lots of room to tune down to C etc.
They're awesome and easy to string and change strings when they break..but I wish i could get keystone ends for them(only could get the coffeebean style)

these ones
Grover-Locking-Tuner.jpg

XShagrath

Has FNM been confirmed for PSN EU this week or is it still up in the air?
I think I overheard on the stream that they would be up this coming week, and it was actually a mistake on Ubi's side this time, not SCEE.

Got my new axe today. Only had a chance to play a couple songs, but it blows my old guitar out of the water. Sustains and bends are so much easier!

Ct1xTrah.jpg

I think I overheard on the stream that they would be up this coming week, and it was actually a mistake on Ubi's side this time, not SCEE.

Got my new axe today. Only had a chance to play a couple songs, but it blows my old guitar out of the water. Sustains and bends are so much easier!

Ct1xTrah.jpg

It's usually down to the incompetence of both - for example, in this case Ubi somehow sent the wrong metadata. They knew this at least five days in advance yet for some reason it couldn't be fixed in time, which I assume is an SCEE issue. Metadata is what - an email-able spreadsheet of info? An easily-fixed issue? Barstewards. I wish the game wasn't so good, because neither company really deserves the cash for it at this point.

Blah blah blah.

Anyway, that guitar is gorgeous. I'd be jealous if I wasn't so average-at-best (it would be wasted on me!)

The colour suggests you're as swedish death metal as your avatar?

XShagrath

Anyway, that guitar is gorgeous. I'd be jealous if I wasn't so average-at-best (it would be wasted on me!)

The colour suggests you're as swedish death metal as your avatar?
I'm still only so-so as well. I've only been playing for about 2 years now. I was able to get 36 month no-interest financing on it, so the payments won't be bad at all. I'd been itching for a LP body for a while now, but like this slightly more aggressive styling.

I'm into a lot of different styles of metal, but I do dig quite a bit of melodic death metal, as well as power and progressive among other sub-genres.

Xyber

Ct1xTrah.jpg

Oh, nice. I want to get myself a Les Paul and a Stratocaster one day when I have more money. I like my current Epiphone SG for a lot of the stuff I play, but the tone isn't great for songs that are usually played with a Strat/Tele. And I just want the LP because it looks awesome.

Broke a string today 5 minutes after I booted up Rocksmith, that sucked. I always forget to have a set of extra strings around for when this happens.

50’s Singles Song Pack – $7.99

Bill Haley & The Comets “Rock Around The Clock”
The Champs “Tequila” – Alt. Lead
Ritchie Valens “La Bamba”

All songs are in E Standard

50’s Singles Song Pack – $7.99

Bill Haley & The Comets “Rock Around The Clock”
The Champs “Tequila” – Alt. Lead
Ritchie Valens “La Bamba”

All songs are in E Standard

Might pick up Tequila and La Bamba down the road. Still waiting for the FNM pack in the EU, it wasn't mentioned in the store update.

maouvin

Anyone playing on Windows 10? Sound is bugged here, even after updating the drivers as some people on reddit reported as a solution.

(Ubisoft titles in general seem to fare bad on W10 anyway).

Xyber

Anyone playing on Windows 10? Sound is bugged here, even after updating the drivers as some people on reddit reported as a solution.

(Ubisoft titles in general seem to fare bad on W10 anyway).

I had to increase the sound engine number to 4 from 2 (didn't try 3 so that might work too), but when I had it at 2 the sound was all in slow-mo and shit.

I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times and I'm sorry for it, but is this game a decent tool to learn guitar? I took lessons ages ago, but I don't really have the patience or attention span (I have some rather severe ADD, and yes I was officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist) to do something for its own sake. I basically got a few chords, hit a wall, got discouraged, and how have a fairly nice guitar that's been figuratively gathering dust in its case for the better part of 10 years.

However, I do respond well to "game-like" learning and stat tracking software and resources; would Rocksmith be a good resource for me to get to the point where I'd be good enough to practice without it? I obviously don't expect to be an amazing guitar player with it, especially as I'd be starting at 24, but does the game have a robust enough training mode to be able to learn guitar from 0, or is it a little too hardcore for that?

Xyber

I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times and I'm sorry for it, but is this game a decent tool to learn guitar? I took lessons ages ago, but I don't really have the patience or attention span (I have some rather severe ADD, and yes I was officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist) to do something for its own sake. I basically got a few chords, hit a wall, got discouraged, and how have a fairly nice guitar that's been figuratively gathering dust in its case for the better part of 10 years.

However, I do respond well to "game-like" learning and stat tracking software and resources; would Rocksmith be a good resource for me to get to the point where I'd be good enough to practice without it? I obviously don't expect to be an amazing guitar player with it, especially as I'd be starting at 24, but does the game have a robust enough training mode to be able to learn guitar from 0, or is it a little too hardcore for that?

From my personal experience, this game can make you a decent guitar player if you just keep playing. The main problem is that it could also make you pick up some bad habits that a guitar teacher would probably help you avoid.

I picked up my first guitar with the first game in November 2012, only had some minor experience with acoustic before that. I now have 429 hours in RS1 and 469 hours in RS2014, most of that is actively playing as well. Rocksmith has been my main way of learning how to play, but I have also watched lessons on youtube and just played along with normal tabs online.

Just to give you some sense of what progress I have made, here is my first video I uploaded about 2 weeks after I got the game and guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPBGWD_x1U

And here is one of my more recent videos. https://youtu.be/hp9U-tyXKdY?t=44

That said, I have it pretty easy to learn new stuff (especially when it comes to rhythm games) so how quickly you and others will make progress is hard to say. But if you put the time into it, take it slow and just have fun with it you will notice yourself making some nice progress pretty quick.

I still have a lot of stuff I need to work on before I would even consider me a good guitar player, but I'm slowly getting there and Rocksmith has helped me keep the interest up at all times.

The game has a lot of tools to help you improve. Minigames that focus on specific things like strumming, sliding, bending, string skipping, scales etc. It also has plenty of lessons where it goes through the basics and advanced stuff.

Prepping to do my first restring. I also haven't really cleaned my guitar that much, so I'll be doing some cleaning/oiling while I've got the strings off. I've just gotta wait for the supplies to ship/be delivered, and I've gotta pick up a string winder to make it a bit easier on my fingers.

I know the basic principles behind restringing a guitar, but I've never actually done it before. Hopefully I don't mess things up too badly. :p

sladeums

Prepping to do my first restring. I also haven't really cleaned my guitar that much, so I'll be doing some cleaning/oiling while I've got the strings off. I've just gotta wait for the supplies to ship/be delivered, and I've gotta pick up a string winder to make it a bit easier on my fingers.

I know the basic principles behind restringing a guitar, but I've never actually done it before. Hopefully I don't mess things up too badly. :p

It may sound like hyperbole, but truthfully Bill Baker's YouTube video 'The proper way to restring a guitar' changed my life.

Best method I've come across and always works well for me. Every time.
Super easy and very stable.

Social Distortion Song Pack – $9.99

Social Distortion “Bad Luck”
Social Distortion “Ball and Chain”
Social Distortion “Reach for the Sky”
Social Distortion “Story of My Life”

Social Distortion Song Pack – $9.99

Social Distortion “Bad Luck”
Social Distortion “Ball and Chain”
Social Distortion “Reach for the Sky”
Social Distortion “Story of My Life”

Not a big Social D fan even though they're in a genre that I love. I'll probably pick this up, pretty decent selection of their songs.

It may sound like hyperbole, but truthfully Bill Baker's YouTube video 'The proper way to restring a guitar' changed my life.

Best method I've come across and always works well for me. Every time.
Super easy and very stable.

I totally forgot to thank you for posting this. It's pretty close to how I was going to do it, but the three-finger measurement with the bent string to start makes it look really easy.

Now I've just gotta wait for all of my stuff to show up early next week and I'll be back in business.

Onemic

Looking to get back into learning guitar again, which means I'm gonna be whipping out rocksmith again. What would the experienced guitarists here recommend in terms of resources toward learning guitar?(cannot get a teacher) Or is rocksmith actually good enough on its own and no other resource is needed?

Edit: I also dont really know what phrasing means, but this term keeps coming up during the session mode missions.

Hit Singles 4 pack this week, including the long awaited RS debut of Fleetwood Mac (GO Your Own Way).

I'm definitely in for the Mac track. Hopefully the inclusion means this isn't far away.

EDIT: Jet's 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' also in. I'm Indifferent to that one.

Hit Singles Song Pack – $9.99

* Def Leppard “Rock of Ages”
* Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” – Capo Required [Rhythm]
* Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* Kansas “Dust In The Wind” – Alt. Lead

M.Steiner

Hit Singles Song Pack – $9.99

* Def Leppard “Rock of Ages”
* Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” – Capo Required [Rhythm]
* Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* Kansas “Dust In The Wind” – Alt. Lead
May get the full pack but at the very least I'll be grabbing Fleetwood Mac. Shame it's just the one song though, would love a full song pack for them.
Saw them live just last month actually. Absolutely fantastic!

Lady Gaia

Two songs purchased makes this a pretty good week for me. I'll gladly take all the Fleetwood Mac I can get. The Jet track may get old fast, but it's a reasonable addition to the library. Now if only I had enough time in the day to make headway with both bass and guitar...

The Stone Roses next week

Not my cuppa, but I know a lot of people who love the band. So a DLC I respect but won't actually buy, if that makes sense. I did actually see part of their original last gig at Reading in the 90's. Wasn't very good, but apparently that was expected because they weren't getting along at all by then.

Actually, might be in for Love Spreads somewhere down the line, assuming that makes the cut.

EDIT:

Stone Roses pack:

She Bangs the Drum
Love Spreads
I Wanna Be Adored

No Fool's Gold, eh?

Top Bottom