• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Ditto, but for me DLC is just the tip of the iceberg. Rocksmith inspired me to get beyond learning the basics with a bass guitar I already owned and upgrade to a decent instrument. Then it suckered me into learning guitar with a nice solid body electric, and finally I even picked up a lovely acoustic guitar because I have been enjoying the process so much. It doesn't even have pickups so I can't use it in game but I still "blame" Rocksmith.

All told, including cases and so forth it's more than $4,000 in instruments alone. And I'm loving it.

I didn't even think about the instruments. I had an old Yamaha strat-copy, but the pickups were janky so I bought a new Gretsch guitar. This year I bought a bass, and it turns out it was worth it as I picked it up very quickly (i'm sure the years of loitering under the guitar glass ceiling helped). I also bought an acoustic recently, a very lovely Fender mahogany body. It has a pickup, but I haven't tried it in the 'smith yet.

Although the DLC prices always seem a little high with no sale in sight (EU/PS4) the real life benefits are so far beyond anything offered by any other 'game' (if it can even be classified as such) that I have no regrets... apart from not waiting for a decent price on the PS4 version, especially after the six months of legacy DLC bullshit we went through.

Is anyone else ready for a RSIII? I am. I'm just not sure we're going to get one...

I would assume at some point they would want to, or even have to do a Rocksmith 2016. I'm sure there has to be people working on engine improvements, whether that'd be better loading times, better note detection, etc, that can't just be easily patched into the current game. Plus, coming out with a new product puts the name back out there in ways that DLC doesn't. A new Rocksmith goes on the front page of Amazon's gaming section, it goes in Walmart and Gamestop advertising. For people interested in Rocksmith, but haven't made the purchase, putting out a new game that can be advertised puts it in the mindshare of more people.

I would assume at some point they would want to, or even have to do a Rocksmith 2016. I'm sure there has to be people working on engine improvements, whether that'd be better loading times, better note detection, etc, that can't just be easily patched into the current game. Plus, coming out with a new product puts the name back out there in ways that DLC doesn't. A new Rocksmith goes on the front page of Amazon's gaming section, it goes in Walmart and Gamestop advertising. For people interested in Rocksmith, but haven't made the purchase, putting out a new game that can be advertised puts it in the mindshare of more people.

That is very true - not to mention the chance to shout about the now significant DLC catalogue. I can see 2014 content getting imported into the next iteration, hopefully the 2011 content will too....

Lady Gaia

I had an old Yamaha strat-copy, but the pickups were janky so I bought a new Gretsch guitar.

That's how it goes, isn't it? My 25-year old Peavy bass had incredibly noisy pickups and I was never wild about how it played, either. I replaced it with a Schecter bass that begs to be played, and followed up with a guitar of the same make. The acoustic is a very recent addition, a 21-year old handcrafted rosewood treasure made in the early days at Breedlove.

Is anyone else ready for a RSIII? I am. I'm just not sure we're going to get one...

Bring it on!

Motley Crue 5 Pack:

Kickstart my Heart
Girls Girls Girls
Shout at the Devil
Home Sweet Home
Dr Feelgood

All in D standard. A pass from me, although should make a lot of Rocksmith fans happy. See you next week for the STP pack...

Therion

This pack is a day one buy but... Nothing from No.4? One potential track from Tiny Music? Core is going to be very over-represented. Sigh.
Anything off that list will at least make for a nice nostalgia trip, but I would really have liked to see Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart get included. Really fun bass part and guitar solo in that one.

Anything off that list will at least make for a nice nostalgia trip, but I would really have liked to see Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart get included. Really fun bass part and guitar solo in that one.

Yeah, I agree! Tiny Music had some of their best work overall including Trippin'. I loved that album's slower moments too - Adhesive is one of their most overlooked tracks.

It seems odd to have a six pack, only to focus most of it on one of the band's albums when they have six of them (with Weiland), especially when albums two and three were better than Core and 4 had one of their biggest hits. Rocksmith logic though, i'll buy it regardless...

That said, if Big Empty doesn't make the cut i'll.... grumble on here, probably ;-)

Pretty good, don't eat at the Wendy's at Punta Cana airport though

Sounds like my run-in with the buffet at my friend's Christmas party. That said, the mix with alcohol probably didn't help.

Stone Temple Pilots Song Pack – $13.99

* Stone Temple Pilots “Big Empty”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Creep”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Plush”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Sex Type Thing” – Alt. Lead
* Stone Temple Pilots “Wicked Garden”

Stone Temple Pilots Song Pack – $13.99

* Stone Temple Pilots “Big Empty”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Creep”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Plush”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Sex Type Thing” – Alt. Lead
* Stone Temple Pilots “Wicked Garden”

That's... A pretty good selection actually. Would ditch creep for something from Tiny Music or No.4, but got Big Empty so shouldn't complain. Now I play the SCEE waiting game...

Toy - have you had a hands-on yet? How's the slide guitar on Big Empty?

Hmm. Not sure if I should plough through this sudden massive backlog I have (thanks various sales) or just work on my frankly embarrassing Interstate Love Song game...

Hope everyone in Rocksmith Gaf had a great Christmas.

Martal

Neo Member
Wonder if you can help me out guys. I posted here long ago about how I'm going to use Rocksmith weekly and post about my progress. Since then much has happened. I wasn't able to use Rocksmith or practice for about 4 months due to working abroad and now I'm back to "I guess I'll try to learn this song", learn a few riffs, give up" mode. I'm well on my way to becoming the quintessential bad guitar player.

I was hoping maybe you guys could suggest a good practice routine for someone like me. Im fine with most chords, still struggle with barres and I can tackle most simple licks. How do I get better? How do I practice meaningfully?

Xyber

Wonder if you can help me out guys. I posted here long ago about how I'm going to use Rocksmith weekly and post about my progress. Since then much has happened. I wasn't able to use Rocksmith or practice for about 4 months due to working abroad and now I'm back to "I guess I'll try to learn this song", learn a few riffs, give up" mode. I'm well on my way to becoming the quintessential bad guitar player.

I was hoping maybe you guys could suggest a good practice routine for someone like me. Im fine with most chords, still struggle with barres and I can tackle most simple licks. How do I get better? How do I practice meaningfully?

I'm probably not really the person to give advice on how to practice meaningfully with Rocksmith. :p

But I just played songs I liked repeatedly. If there was stuff I couldn't play I just slowed it the fuck down and practiced until I got better and then slowly bumped up the speed. I also never really made use of dynamic difficulty, played everything maxed out so I didn't learn something the wrong way and then had to re-learn it when it added more notes.

I never actively tried to learn a song through the game, it just happened naturally after playing it for a while. Like, the only part I really practiced in this cover I recorded was the bit at 3:15, everything else I just learned after playing it a bunch of times in the game so I thought it would be fun to throw it up on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kH9GmqF3ig

So my only real tip is keep playing songs you enjoy and learn stuff slowly, the speed comes naturally after a while.

sgjackson

picked up the guitar again after neglecting it for years - after an hour or two of practice a day for a month i'm already as good as I was and then some.

i had a copy of the original rocksmith I messed around with for 90 minutes on steam a few years ago and then promptly ignored, picked up a copy of the newest one and the disc import from the steam sale and promptly learned like three songs by spending a few hours in the riff repeater.

game owns, should be a fun way to play more guitar in addition to my structured practice.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've been playing this a lot lately and absolutely loving it.

I'm visiting my hometown for the holidays and left the guitars at my apartment, since I've got a bass at home.

Playing bass again has taught me how absolutely frail my hands have gotten. They get tired so quick! There's such a big strength necessity between the two.

I ordered some new headphones to play the game with and am psyched to get some time in when they come.

sgjackson

oh DUH i have a bass laying around

this might be outside the scope of this thread (is there a general guitar/musician thread here?) but are there any justinguitar-esque sites for practicing bass shit

empyrean

Just to ask a bit further about learning songs as someone did above...so is the preferred method to just repeatedly play the song on 100% difficulty in practice mode and have it slowed down rather than use the standard "play this song" with the dynamic difficulty stuff?

Martal

Neo Member
Just to ask a bit further about learning songs as someone did above...so is the preferred method to just repeatedly play the song on 100% difficulty in practice mode and have it slowed down rather than use the standard "play this song" with the dynamic difficulty stuff?

I'd say yes. I asked earlier too. Even when I did have time to use Rocksmith, i'd always keep the difficulty high. Maybe not 100% but at least 90% or so. Just enough to still have the riff be recognizable. Then I'd suggest picking sections.

Its better to learn 10% of a song at 100% difficulty than 100% of a song at 10% difficulty.

Xyber

Yeah, I would only recommend using the dynamic difficulty for absolute beginners when you need to learn what color corresponds to what string on the guitar so it doesn't get overwhelming.

Xyber

Noticed that I have just passed 3 years since I bought Rocksmith and my first guitar, time sure flies. The progress I have made (which has also been fairly well documented on my youtube channel, "fun" to go back and watch my first vids where I sucked) is pretty amazing to me since you never really notice it happening.

I feel like I have finally reached one of my goals I set out for myself when I got the guitar, being able to figure out and learn solos by ear without too much struggle. Found out about a new band the other day and have been listening to them quite a lot, today I thought to myself that it would be fun to learn the solo of one of their songs. 45 minutes later this was the result. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8927515/solo.mp3

I guess my next goal is to improve my dexterity and speed so I can play even harder solos and stuff. Will be fun to see where I am in another 3 years. :)

Martal

Neo Member
Noticed that I have just passed 3 years since I bought Rocksmith and my first guitar, time sure flies. The progress I have made (which has also been fairly well documented on my youtube channel, "fun" to go back and watch my first vids where I sucked) is pretty amazing to me since you never really notice it happening.

I feel like I have finally reached one of my goals I set out for myself when I got the guitar, being able to figure out and learn solos by ear without too much struggle. Found out about a new band the other day and have been listening to them quite a lot, today I thought to myself that it would be fun to learn the solo of one of their songs. 45 minutes later this was the result. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8927515/solo.mp3

I guess my next goal is to improve my dexterity and speed so I can play even harder solos and stuff. Will be fun to see where I am in another 3 years. :)

Might be a tough question to answer but do you any favorite songs to recommend? The DLC catalog has become so vast its hard to start, plus I know nothing about whats going on in the cDLC scene.

Xyber

Might be a tough question to answer but do you any favorite songs to recommend? The DLC catalog has become so vast its hard to start, plus I know nothing about whats going on in the cDLC scene.

There's just so many good and fun songs, so that is really hard to answer. The simple answer would probably be 90% of the stuff I upload to my youtube page. I usually don't put up stuff there I don't enjoy unless it's some request. I personally don't play a lot of the normal DLC anymore (but both the Bachsmith packs are a blast), most of my time is spent with customs.

And like, a lot of the stuff that are super fun to play might not even be songs I would listen to normally outside of the game. Something like this one by Gary Moore, great one to play to practice bends and really nail the right pitch. Also has some more bluesy chords the practice during the verses, throw in some fairly simple arpeggios and a pretty difficult solo as well and you have a lot of stuff to practice in that one song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weoTgG7Gu-g

If you ever decide to go down the path of CDLC, I can recommend almost all the stuff that PC Plum puts up. He makes some of the best stuff that's being uploaded at the moment.

Hit Singles III Song Pack – $9.99

* Asia “Heat Of The Moment”
* Semisonic “Closing Time”
* Wild Cherry “Play That Funky Music”
* Wolfmother “Woman”

Hit Singles III Song Pack – $9.99

* Asia “Heat Of The Moment”
* Semisonic “Closing Time”
* Wild Cherry “Play That Funky Music”
* Wolfmother “Woman”

Play that funky music is the only one I'd be interested in. Can't imagine that request tool has been inundated with Semisonic requests but hey ho. Better luck next week hopefully.

Xyber

Not that I really need to buy Woman since I already have learned to play it, but I am not a fan of how they tabbed the part during the organ solo. Doesn't really sound good.

I may not be buying this pack, but i'd take it any day over the dreck they have on Rockband this week. One Direction? Ellie Goulding? Justin Bieber? I pray Rocksmith never does this to us....

The latest clue is up on the Rocksmith forum, there's a good (but as-yet unconfirmed) chance we finally get ZZ Top this week...

EDIT: Nope. False alarm. Sorry.

30 Seconds to Mars. Ugh. I was much happier when it was going to be ZZ Top, instead of the shitty cheese fest that's
Only popular because their frontman is an actor.

lol

also it's the semi-final for the vote for best RS2014 DLC of the year http://www.theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-dlc-battle-2015-semi-finals/

I can save you the hassle of counting the votes. The answer is Spinal Tap, ploughing through the competition's bean field and pokin' their hay.

Voted for STP. I see QOTSA is in the lead and i'm a massive fan, bigger than I am of STP in fact, but the only track I touch on a regular basis is Make it Wit Chu for some reason. This is probably because two of the tracks are in C tuning (which my guitar hates, not because of laziness), Little Sister is too overplayed and i'm absolutely terrible at I Appear Missing (which is an amazing tune) and to merely touch it is to highlight how unobtainable my guitar aspirations are. Sniff.

XShagrath

H75897000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Got this guy in the mail yesterday. On the right, it's got a drop (and up?) tuner that can switch the pitch of the guitar up to seven semi-tones and also an octave. It works flawlessly in Rocksmith and I was able to play C-Standard stuff without retuning at all. I play with headphones, so I didn't have to worry about the disconnect of actually hearing the standard tuning from the actual instrument.

On the other side, it's got a bunch of whammy effects and a harmonizer. This isn't something that can really be used in game, but will be fun to noodle around with in Session Mode and also on my amp. This is my first pedal, and I'm already having a lot of fun with it.

Shadybiz

^^^ Oh that is really cool! Checked it out on Amazon; a bit pricey for me at this point in time, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future!

Top Bottom