• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Yeah, I don't get a lot of today's music. Even a lot of the new rock and "metal" bands are just too weird for my tastes.

It's all about "genius" artists that are so talented they can't write a song without 10 other songwriters and 10 producers. The "too many cooks spoil the broth" analogy is lost on a generation, I feel.

With Kanye in particular, people call him a 'trailblazer' and 'innovator' but I don't think i've heard an original idea from him. I made a point of listening to 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" as it was "best album of the last decade" according to many online music critics (a decade that includes 'In Rainbows' off the top of my head but whatever) and I just didn't get it. "Power" was a fun pop track, that's about it.

But hey, people think he made Paul McCartney famous so there's no hope.

Regarding new metal and rock bands, the problem is everything is pigeonholed into an image by the marketing team - nothing feels organic. Or truly talented musicians - like a good friend of mine - find themselves doing session work on albums for talentless pop artists like 1D, while the clothes horses get the credit. We're in a time where facade is everything and substance means little.

Sorry for ranting.

Xyber

Any Kanye stans in the RS2014 thread?

I charted out Feedback from his new album and added it to Rocksmith 2014.

Download link in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk86r9SqJzQ

Also - anyone have tips for recording Rocksmith on PC while keeping audio exclusivity enabled? Playing without the delay is huge.

Dxtory/Bandicam can set the Stereo mix as the audio source, that allows the game to use the speakers for the exclusive stuff but still be able to record it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's all about "genius" artists that are so talented they can't write a song without 10 other songwriters and 10 producers. The "too many cooks spoil the broth" analogy is lost on a generation, I feel.

With Kanye in particular, people call him a 'trailblazer' and 'innovator' but I don't think i've heard an original idea from him. I made a point of listening to 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" as it was "best album of the last decade" according to many online music critics (a decade that includes 'In Rainbows' off the top of my head but whatever) and I just didn't get it. "Power" was a fun pop track, that's about it.

But hey, people think he made Paul McCartney famous so there's no hope.

Regarding new metal and rock bands, the problem is everything is pigeonholed into an image by the marketing team - nothing feels organic. Or truly talented musicians - like a good friend of mine - find themselves doing session work on albums for talentless pop artists like 1D, while the clothes horses get the credit. We're in a time where facade is everything and substance means little.

Sorry for ranting.

If you haven't heard anything original from Kanye then you aren't really listening is all I'd really say on that. Even if you don't enjoy it, at the very least people can say there is a profound evolution within his music that you don't see often. Most artists find their niche and stick to it, Kanye's music is constantly exploring outside of the normal comfort zone in rap/hip hop.

Also, just as a heads up, the vast majority (if not all) of those "made Paul McCartney famous" type posts were just people trying to get a bunch of retweets/likes to get follows.

Dxtory/Bandicam can set the Stereo mix as the audio source, that allows the game to use the speakers for the exclusive stuff but still be able to record it.

Slick! Next time I record I'll give that a shot.

Also, just as a heads up, the vast majority (if not all) of those "made Paul McCartney famous" type posts were just people trying to get a bunch of retweets/likes to get follows.

That's a relief. Maybe some hope is left then.

Kanye has the full weight of the marketing machine (and his ego, obviously) behind him. I've just never heard anything to back it up. I'm not going to push the argument though, I can't deny how divisive he is.

I will say, I also checked out Kendrick Lamar's album for similar reasons and I enjoyed it. Still suffers from my pet hates in modern music (why does every producer on earth need a pay day per album? Is there a US law stating Pharrell Williams must have a credit on every record now?) but I found it refreshing to listen to.

Hit Singles Pack IV

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend
Sublime - Badfish
A Perfect Circle - The Outsider

My Chemical Romance Pack 2 this week.

IgMyxh.jpg

Dead! though

I'm too old for the emo/power pop/punk stylings MCR. I know they've got a strong following etc and the pack will sell well, just not to me.

This the the third time we've had a pack two from an artist so far this year - I wonder if that makes upcoming DLC easier to predict?

And where is the Nirvana pack Paul Cross teased years ago?

MCR was a local band for me back in the day. A bunch of friends of mine were really into them before they hit it big. I never cared for them. Cool for MCR fans but it's just another week I can save some money.

My Chemical Romance II – $11.99

* My Chemical Romance “Dead!”
* My Chemical Romance “Famous Last Words”
* My Chemical Romance “Helena” – Alt. Lead
* My Chemical Romance “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” – Alt. Lead
* My Chemical Romance “Teenagers”

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I would not describe myself as a My Chemical Romance fan but I was thrilled to see Dead! pop up in game and bought it immediately. It's a fantastic song and very fun guitar part. Non-fans of the genre should really be giving that one a chance.

Interesting DLC this week: Rocksmith Goes to the Movies.

Covers of famous movie themes, in the style of Bachsmith. Available as a $9.99 pack only (guess that's £6.99 UK).

Back to the Future
Batman
Superman
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings

They couldn't get the licence for anything Star Wars or Indiana Jones, which is a shame because who doesn't want to play the Imperial March?

XShagrath

Covers of famous movie themes, in the style of Bachsmith. Available as a $9.99 pack only (guess that's £6.99 UK).
Interesting. I'm not sure how well some of those will translate, but we'll see. I was really happy with the other BachSmith packs, so maybe this one will be cool as well.

Back to the Future
Batman
Superman
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings

They couldn't get the licence for anything Star Wars or Indiana Jones, which is a shame because who doesn't want to play the Imperial March?

I assume the Back to the Future they're referring to is this, but I kind of wish it would just be some Huey Lewis and the News. I dunno, might bite. I've generally appreciated Bachsmith.

Back to the Future
Batman
Superman
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings

This is a pretty sweet idea. I'll grab these since I haven't bought any dlc in a while.

Xyber

Back to the Future
Batman
Superman
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings

Cool stuff, looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

“Superman - Main Title” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Jurassic Park - Theme” – E Standard – Lead; Drop D - Rhythm/Bass
“A Knife In The Dark”– Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Batman - Theme” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Back To The Future” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Hopefully The Distillers or St. Vincent. Hell, White Lung would be the best choice but no one knows that band.

Edit: Also, Sleater-Kinney!

I would kill for a Sleater-Kinney pack. And some Polly Harvey. And Live Through This era Hole - I know Courtney is a prick, but I loved that album. Celebrity Skin was junk though. St Vincent would be good, as would some Brody Dalle now you mention it.

Just looking at the rumours though - Pretty Reckless, Donnas... it's going to be a wasted pack of weird obscure choices.

Yeah, this is as disappointing as I feared. In addition to cherry bomb we have:

Flyleaf - I'm So Sick
The Donnas - Take It Off
Hole - Celebrity Skin
The Pretty Reckless - Heaven Knows

XShagrath

Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. I could think of a near infinite number of better female-fronted bands and songs than that selection.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

jumper

Holy hell that's a bad pack.

I'll check out the video. Celebrity Skin is not a bad Hole pick, but I kind of wish they went with Violet.

Anyways, disappointing for sure. In terms of women rockers or frontmen, off the top of my head I'd prefer Ex Hex, Wild Flag, Best Coast, Warpaint, Distillers, Sleater-Kinney..

Kingbrave

I actually bought 'Hints, Allegations...' When it came out. Shine was as close as they had to a hit in the UK, and that hardly set the world on fire.

So I don't hate them, it's a bit worse - total indifference. And, as has been par for the course in 2016, back to waiting a week to see if the next DLC pack will be any good.

I was a teen when they were big in the '90's. Some of the first songs I learned how to play. I still listen to them all the time.

My Chemical Romance II – $11.99

* My Chemical Romance “Dead!”
* My Chemical Romance “Famous Last Words”
* My Chemical Romance “Helena” – Alt. Lead
* My Chemical Romance “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” – Alt. Lead
* My Chemical Romance “Teenagers”

late to the party but this is sweet. When I bought RS14 I was really bummed I couldn't get their first pack cause it was OG RS only :\

¡HarlequinPanic!;198264777 said:
late to the party but this is sweet. When I bought RS14 I was really bummed I couldn't get their first pack cause it was OG RS only :\

Wasn't that dropped when they brought the DLC over to ps4 and xbox1?

Top Bottom