• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Good Charlotte Song Pack – $11.99 / Steam

* Good Charlotte “The Anthem” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “Girls & Boys” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “I Just Wanna Live” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous” – Eb Drop Db
* Good Charlotte (ft. Avenged Sevenfold) “The River” – Eb Standard

Good Charlotte Song Pack – $11.99 / Steam

* Good Charlotte “The Anthem” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “Girls & Boys” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “I Just Wanna Live” – Eb Standard
* Good Charlotte “Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous” – Eb Drop Db
* Good Charlotte (ft. Avenged Sevenfold) “The River” – Eb Standard

Wait... the second anthem is for another pack? Hmm...

XShagrath

I'm not interested in learning 'incorrect' versions of songs because of tunings though. I guess my dream of Rocksmith 3 with vastly improved tech announced next week will remain just that - a dream.
It would be a good compromise if they would give you the original chart if you had a guitar (or pedal) tuned to whatever tunings are not currently supported, as well as an alternate chart that's adjusted to E Standard or whatever.

They've got the support for having additional charts, but there are very few songs that take advantage of it. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Paint It Black and Hocus Pocus.

It would be a good compromise if they would give you the original chart if you had a guitar (or pedal) tuned to whatever tunings are not currently supported, as well as an alternate chart that's adjusted to E Standard or whatever.

They've got the support for having additional charts, but there are very few songs that take advantage of it. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Paint It Black and Hocus Pocus.

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/rock...ngs/alternate-arrangements-in-rocksmith-2014/

How do I unlock the Capo/Uplay version of Paint It Black? More arbitrary missions or is there something else to it?

Variety (four) pack time again this week, including Kenny Rogers' 'The Gambler'. I don't know a great deal about Mr Rogers, apart from 'Just Dropped In', which I think is great.

Agreed.

Variety Pack II Song Pack – $9.99

Eagle Eye Cherry “Save Tonight”
Kenny Rogers “The Gambler” Capo Required [Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm]
Queen and David Bowie “Under Pressure”
SR-71 “Right Now” – Eb Standard

Variety Pack II Song Pack – $9.99

Eagle Eye Cherry “Save Tonight”
Kenny Rogers “The Gambler” Capo Required [Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm]
Queen and David Bowie “Under Pressure”
SR-71 “Right Now” – Eb Standard

Will pick up Queen at some point. I have no idea who SR-71 is.

The real shock of this pack is the dragging of Save Tonight's corpse kicking and screaming out of 1997 though. As we've already had Kiss Me I can only assume Natalie Imbruglia's Torn is coming soon.

Ubisoft's conference went on for about five years but no mention of the 'Smith. Not unexpected but still disappointing all the same.

Edit: Just listened to SR-71. I wish I didn't.

Eck! Admittedly, I liked Pardon Me when I was younger but I really grew to hate this band when Drive got nonstop radio play.

Yeah, same. And that awful song about Geller bending silver spoons can piss off as well.

Guitarist always struck me as pretty good to be fair.

Pardon Me will be in the pack surely? Might get it as an excuse to dust the bass off.

Yeah, same. And that awful song about Geller bending silver spoons can piss off as well.

Guitarist always struck me as pretty good to be fair.

Pardon Me will be in the pack surely? Might get it as an excuse to dust the bass off.
Reel Big Fish's Beer has been making me cry on bass. Such a challenge.

Reel Big Fish's Beer has been making me cry on bass. Such a challenge.

That's on my wish list, purely based on recommendations on here as I hadn't heard of it before. Tbh, I have found myself drifting from Rocksmith as of late, mainly due to a condition I like to call 'underwhelming DLC fatigue'.

No word on the rest of the Incubus pack as I write, not that i'll be putting my hand in my pocket for it regardless.

Do you know what might rekindle my Rocksmith fire? A fresh coat of... oh. Nevermind.

Incubus Pack II – $9.99

* Incubus “Drive”
* Incubus “Megalomaniac”
* Incubus “Pardon Me”
* Incubus “Stellar”

A very predictable selection. I actually revisited Incubus to see if I could get myself remotely excited for this, and I realised that, after all these years, my issue with the band isn't the guitar playing (I love the riff in the song 'Echo' for example), I just can't stand Boyd's lyrics as they tend to make me cringe.

Where are we with this month's newsletter clues? I've lost track.

hiryu64

Got a few questions about the RS1 songs that may or may not have been properly answered before:
  • So buying the import tool alone is not enough, I take it? I need both RS1 and the import tool to import the RS1 songs into 2014?
  • And if I were to do this, would I still have to purchase all the RS1 DLC separately, or is that included?
  • Is it worth doing this? (subjective, but opinions are welcome)
Sorry if these questions have been answered to death already, but I haven't been able to find specific answers to them. All I know is that you can import RS1 songs into 2014, but that's it.

Got a few questions about the RS1 songs that may or may not have been properly answered before:
  • So buying the import tool alone is not enough, I take it? I need both RS1 and the import tool to import the RS1 songs into 2014?
  • And if I were to do this, would I still have to purchase all the RS1 DLC separately, or is that included?
  • Is it worth doing this? (subjective, but opinions are welcome)
Sorry if these questions have been answered to death already, but I haven't been able to find specific answers to them. All I know is that you can import RS1 songs into 2014, but that's it.

Yes
The DLC is not included, there are 143 songs for you to purchase
Yes, but the Steam Sale should be starting soon

Hit Singles V is the last discounted pack for the Steam Sale
The Gambler is discounted for some reason (probably in error)
Rocksmith Goes To The Movies isn't Discounted

Independence Day Pack

Boston "Star Spangled Banner / 4th of July Reprise"
???
???
???

I knew little of Boston - with the sole exception of the overplayed 'More Than a Feeling' for years, however I really enjoyed playing the track on the 2014 disc (can't remember for the life of me what it was called, but it turned up in GTA V somewhere as well). Hopefully this is an interesting pack.

It's been a weird day here in the UK. Woke up to the news we're leaving the EU, followed by the resignation of our crappy PM (leaving the door open for a total idiot to take over) and then as the icing on the cake, Donald Trump 'graced' Scotland with his presence. A decent RS pack would be nice to take the mind off the tanking currency.

MYcAKeM.png

Independence Day Song Pack – $9.99

* Boston “The Star-Spangled Banner/4th of July Reprise” - Drop D [Bass]
* Brooks & Dunn “Only in America”
* Don McLean “American Pie”
* James Brown “Living in America”

Independence Day Song Pack – $9.99

* Boston “The Star-Spangled Banner/4th of July Reprise” - Drop D [Bass]
* Brooks & Dunn “Only in America”
* Don McLean “American Pie”
* James Brown “Living in America”

I'll take James Brown for sure. About time. The rest though? I never need to hear American Pie ever again, let alone play it. No idea who Brooks & Dunn are...

No Horse With No Name?

Edit: Just youtube'd Brooks & Dunn. What the hell is this shit?

2000's Mix Pack next week. Three pack - three different artists/genres apparently.

First track is Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me.

To my *utter astonishment* it's not my cup of tea at all, but may suit those looking for a challenging fretboard workout.

DD

I was about to create a thread, but then using the search I found this one. Here's the thing: I recently bought this game and everything was going fine, till I reached "Bends 101". I believe I can play that song, but I was failing to reach 100%, what I was planing to do with every lesson for only then move to the next one. After a few days, I gave up on 96%. It was good enough, I though. Then it came "Legato 101", and holy flying f*ck! What the hell?! Did they really tough that that was okay to be one of the first lessons in the game?! I clicked in the "I've never played a guitar before" option, but now, in the FIFTH (!) lesson they want me to be Eric effin Clapton?! What the...

Welcome, DD. It's good to have a new RS Community member on Gaf - there's only a handful of us posting these days.

Not sure what to suggest with your legato problem, although if you have any good friends that are great at guitar (we all have 'that' friend) ask him/her to show you techniques when you get stuck. Complimenting your Rocksmith playing this way will help your progress a ton and hopefully avoid you turning into s self-taught bag of bad habits and mediocrity like myself...

What platform are you on? are you running the game through an amp and speakers? Because if not, lag will be an issue.

DD

Welcome, DD. It's good to have a new RS Community member on Gaf - there's only a handful of us posting these days.

Not sure what to suggest with your legato problem, although if you have any good friends that are great at guitar (we all have 'that' friend) ask him/her to show you techniques when you get stuck. Complimenting your Rocksmith playing this way will help your progress a ton and hopefully avoid you turning into s self-taught bag of bad habits and mediocrity like myself...

What platform are you on? are you running the game through an amp and speakers? Because if not, lag will be an issue.

Thanks, mate! And yeah, I do have *that* friend, haha, but it's kind of hard to see him. But the problem is not the technique itself, but the speed of the song of that lesson. Seriously, look at this: https://youtu.be/vWJA2p-ADU8?t=4m20s

o_O

DrBo42

Was hoping they'd announce a new one at E3. Really want to see them dive deeper into instruction and push into theory with a better session mode to complement it.

Thanks, mate! And yeah, I do have *that* friend, haha, but it's kind of hard to see him. But the problem is not the technique itself, but the speed of the song of that lesson. Seriously, look at this: https://youtu.be/vWJA2p-ADU8?t=4m20s

o_O

Have you practiced barre chords yet? Once you get that down, it will help a great deal. Can't remember where they are in the lessons, but give that a spin.

Also, if you can get your mitts on the RS1 content, Dead Weather's 'I Can't Hear You' and Black Keys 'Next Girl' are both fun legato tracks for practice.

Was hoping they'd announce a new one at E3. Really want to see them dive deeper into instruction and push into theory with a better session mode to complement it.

I'm wondering how the game will be supported if Vivendi manage their hostile takeover of Ubisoft...

DD

Have you practiced barre chords yet? Once you get that down, it will help a great deal. Can't remember where they are in the lessons, but give that a spin.

Also, if you can get your mitts on the RS1 content, Dead Weather's 'I Can't Hear You' and Black Keys 'Next Girl' are both fun legato tracks for practice.
No, I'm learning from scratch, so I'm focusing in one lesson at a time first. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at them. :)

Why? It's the next step if they want to stay in the education side of things.

I don't care about theory I just want to play guitar/bass and I feel like other people don't care either and if they want to learn theory they should get a private teacher or read a book *shrug*

I honestly think having a bunch of music theory in Rocksmith would discourage many people from using it.

just my opinion

Lady Gaia

I honestly think having a bunch of music theory in Rocksmith would discourage many people from using it.

Like all the music that appeals to some people and not others – make it optional and keep everyone happy. I'd love to see more theory taught by the game, personally.

Like all the music that appeals to some people and not others – make it optional and keep everyone happy. I'd love to see more theory taught by the game, personally.

I'd quite like some theory stuff to be honest. As long as they don't market the game around it they should be fine.

Toy - what are the odds of NIN appearing in the 2000's pack? I noticed Hand That Feeds mentioned on Riff Repeater so my hopes and expectations are raised (and it's your fault ;-) )

XShagrath

I'd quite like some theory stuff to be honest. As long as they don't market the game around it they should be fine.
I also would totally appreciate some theory. I don't want it to be the focus, but an addition. Just a few mini-games would be enough. Theory is extremely important in actually understanding how music is formed and gets you away from just reading charts. You can create your own pieces, and you can figure out songs just by listening to them and hearing the intervals and chord structures.

The problem with learning theory in its traditional form is that it's really boring, at least for me. I can never get myself to commit to a daily regimen of theory (interval ear training, for instance). I know I need to do it, and I'll maybe use an app every once in a while before I go to bed, but it's not every night and I'm not really working at full concentration while I'm drifting off to sleep. I think the guys over at Ubi SF could definitely come up with something to make theory a more fun and engaging experience.

Top Bottom