• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar has 'requested that no UK retailer dispatch GTA 5 before September 16'

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Update:

Not just UK.

'No European retailer' will ship GTA 5 before Monday, September 16

Copies to remain in warehouses until day before release to ensure smooth launch, GAME says.

Rockstar has requested that online retailers hold off from dispatching copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 until September 16 in an effort to ensure early copies don't reach customers in advance of the official September 17 release date.

In an email sent to customers this evening, UK retailer GAME said that "GTA V is released on 17th September and Rockstar, who publish it, have worked very hard to make it the biggest gaming launch ever.

"They have requested that no UK retailer despatch GTA V before the 16th September and GAME, along with all reputable retailers, will respect this request."

GAME states that it will be processing orders earlier than normal "due to the epic size" of Rockstar's upcoming title, before reiterating that orders will not reach customers early.

The issue of online retailers dispatching copies well in advance of release date has led to one UK retailer - *********** - choosing not to stock copies of one of this year's biggest games.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/g...ailer_dispatch_gta_5_before_september_16.html

So that means people who've ordered online will be getting it on the 18th...

If that actually happens I'll kill someone

I was waiting for this. Ah well, if I get it on release date I'm happy. Seems weird though, being used to getting PAL release one or two days early for years.

SHADES

Posted this in the GTA thread yesterday.

Thought I'd share,

Just spoke to a friend who owns an indie store here in the UK.

He told me that the GTA V release is locked up tighter than a nuns knickers! He deals with 4 companies in the UK in obtaining software supplies, of those four three aren't getting any stock meaning he's left to deal with one. The rep stated that for him to be able to get stock he had to put preorder advertising on the shop door, counter, preorder case in the window & a preorder card on display, he said "it's as if these reps want the red carpet out & they haven't released a game in 3 years", this is out of the norm for him.

Now my friend usually has no issues obtaining software & regularly breaks street date as & when ( he's a small business owner & it helps keep steady custom ). Halo 4 was 3 weeks early, MW3 8 days early, BO2 a week early, you get the gist. Infact I can't remember a title where he said it wouldn't be early until now, he's getting nothing until release date & he's not known a release like this!

I hope he's wrong but highly doubt it, bummer if like me you were expecting to get GTA V early,

TheContact

It's going to happen somewhere. These are being shipped to a lot of retailers. Usually it's the mom-n-pop stores that slip up or do it purposefully

This is why you never pre-order a R* game. It makes more sense to head down to a supermarket and pick it at midnight.

I'm hoping the supermarkets push this as a loss leader for £25 or thereabouts. I'll gladly go do my grocery shopping with whoever if I can pick this up cheap at the same time.

Skeff

Seems like a big fuss about nothing here, Review copies are usually the ones that leak online and spread so it's not going to stop the online leaks.

The only people this will really affect are Internet per-orderers. and It will just cause the split of release to go from launch day and day before to aunch day and day after.

jmood88

Street dates make absolutely no sense to me. If the stores have them, why should they hold them for some arbitrary date?

kubus

It's kinda funny that they're called Rockstar because they really are and act like rockstars. (Not just because of this, but also being absent from big game conventions and such because they know they'll sell gazillions of copies anyway).

Rashid

Banned
It will break street dates. The smaller stores will turn a blind eye, and there's always a disgruntled employee somewhere.

S¡mon

Banned
Day before? So no one who ordered online is getting a copy at launch
What? I live in the Netherlands and retailers usually dispatch items the day before, or even at the same day.

For example, recently I bought a game online and it was dispatched around 5 AM in the morning. At 11 AM, I had it in my hands.
Similar story for another game I bought, dispatched at 4 AM, in my hands at 11 AM. And in this last scenario, I pre-ordered the game the evening before at 10.45 PM!

SHADES

There are some benefits to working in a warehouse after all

What?

Would that get him in trouble if distributors found out?

Always been a little jealous UKers get games early :(

Well he's pretty on the ball with who he sell's to ie; only loyal customers, no new faces, no questions answered over the phone etc.

Usually its only with big EA titles that he may only get a day or two early and the rest usually a week or more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Post is not reliable, and online shopping is too popular, to put restrictions like this in place. If you can't ship until the day before, too many people would not receive it until the Saturday, which would potentially impact online stores

Hanmik

Seems like a big fuss about nothing here, Review copies are usually the ones that leak online and spread so it's not going to stop the online leaks.

The only people this will really affect are Internet per-orderers. and It will just cause the split of release to go from launch day and day before to aunch day and day after.

I spoke to some pr firm in Denmark. they promised me a review copy... when I asked when he would send it he said

"the 16th. of september" they are not allowed to send it before.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Expected this to happen, Amazon guaranteed it for release so I guess that's something.

Rich!

Somewhere in Europe, it'll get leaked and then before you know it, pirates all around the UK will be playing it happily.

Same story as with every big release. It's a shame, but what can you do.

What?

Would that get him in trouble if distributors found out?

Always been a little jealous UKers get games early :(

I used to run a Blockbuster here in the UK, and we often got games even up to three weeks before release. What's best was we could rent them out before release date! I remember when we got Halo Reach delivered over a week early, and we all got to play it before anyone else. That was nice.

That's a blatant dig at ShopTo, who always get pre-ordered games delivered to you a day or two before the release date. Don't know why Rockstar have to be such hard-ons about this, but I guess I'd care more if I was actually planning on playing the game day one.

Hopefully it shows up on release, Amazon was offering free release day delivery. If it doesn't show up till the Wednesday though I won't be too gutted considering it was £35, about the cheapest I've seen it.

Can someone explain why they really care if someone gets it a day before release? It's gonna be all over torrent sites before then anyway.

If my copy comes a day late, I'm gonna be pissed.

iNvid02

that sucks, GAME orders usually get here 2 days before release for me

release day it is i guess.

/1stworldprobs

RayMaker

Banned
I'am going to role into any game store after I get back from holiday (19th or 20th) and casually pick up GTA5 like it is any other decent game.

After RDR i'am immune to R* hype, even though RDR exceeded my expectations, it is only a game like GTA5 is also.

Alchemist

Amazon better not screw this up. They've been making a big deal about their Free Release Day Delivery promotion for a while now.

Top Bottom