• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar has 'requested that no UK retailer dispatch GTA 5 before September 16'

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Meanwhile, everyone who pirates it will get it a week before legitimate users. Can't have people who paid for it maybe getting it a day early. Dumb.

SmokyDave

Can someone explain why they really care if someone gets it a day before release? It's gonna be all over torrent sites before then anyway.

If my copy comes a day late, I'm gonna be pissed.
Presumably it's something to do with the whole 'biggest entertainment launch ever' thing where they measure sales over the first 24 hours and the first week.

Skeff

I spoke to some pr firm in Denmark. they promised me a review copy... when I asked when he would send it he said

"the 16th. of september" they are not allowed to send it before.

I am very confident this game will be leaked, even if it's by a warehouse worker who is stockpiling them for Delivery, or by a PR firm who is in charge of holding all of the review copies before sending them onto reviewers.

I'm not pleased with it by the way, It's just one of those facts of life.

javac

Don't know how trusty Amazon's new free release day guarantee is but I guess I'll find. To be fair I'm going to be busy anyways but it's nice to have the copy in my hands asap regardless.

Hanmik

I am very confident this game will be leaked, even if it's by a warehouse worker who is stockpiling them for Delivery, or by a PR firm who is in charge of holding all of the review copies before sending them onto reviewers.

I'm not pleased with it by the way, It's just one of those facts of life.

suree it's going to be leaked. I just think it's more than stupid to expect decent reviews if small review sites gets the game the same day as it hits the stores.

I can live with it, i ordered from tesco months ago on the £30 deal I think it was

Probably be the following Monday when it arrives but I'll cope

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I have faith Shopto will deliver for release, always have and I'm not even mainland UK. It will be interesting to see if they overstep the mark and completely ignore R* and ship early though.

Post is not reliable, and online shopping is too popular, to put restrictions like this in place. If you can't ship until the day before, too many people would not receive it until the Saturday, which would potentially impact online stores
As opposed to the high street getting impacted like every other time? Online already beats it on price.

shandy706

So that means people who've ordered online will be getting it on the 18th...

If that actually happens I'll kill someone

LOL, why would that be true?

Online orders can ship just fine I would think.

Also...you would kill someone? Obviously a joke, but geez....I'm waiting for the next-gen and/or PC release. Have some patience.

HT UK

Well expect a lot of annoyed people in the UK when their game doesn't arrive till the 18th. Fingers crossed I'm not one of the unlucky ones!

I'm glad I avoided Shopto this time. Their prices have been ridiculous lately, and you won't even get it 2 days before.

What? lol

They post by 5:30pm the same day, so they would get GTA 5 out on the 16th for teh 17th as they usually do.

I've used them for years and never had a late delivery.

Skeff

Just a quick note for a lot of people saying next day delivery is fine, A lot of royal mail post is currently out sourced and a lot of these companies only deliver three days a week, for instance Mon Wed Fri or Tues Thurs Sat. This would mean the only way to get it truly next day delivery is to pay for Signed for delivery which is uncommon on Videogames, Royal mail first class is generally what is used by online retailers in the UK.

mcfrank

In LA there are three or 4 stores that frequently break street dates. I have gotten pretty much every game I wanted recently at least 3 or 4 days early. I would like to continue that trend with GTA 5.

Directly from the shopto twitter:

ShopTo ‏@shoptonet 30m
@jand91 We will despatch so that you receive on/by release date.Thanks.

https://twitter.com/shoptonet/status/375330166416756737

How reliable are they usually? Customer support twitter accounts don't usually tend to have the most up to date info.

Presumably it's something to do with the whole 'biggest entertainment launch ever' thing where they measure sales over the first 24 hours and the first week.

Wouldn't those sales still count as 'day one' sales?

A certain banned retailer rhyming with "ClopShoe"
berneydidnotread.gif

EDIT: Damn, really? No ShopTo. NOOOOO. Hopefully Nintendo didn't enforce this kind of shit for Pokemon :(

How reliable are they usually? Customer support twitter accounts don't usually tend to have the most up to date info.

VERY.

They pride themselves on getting the game to you the next day if you order before 5:30pm.
They even send you a photo of the packed game in the dispatch email.

On normal releases I'll get it a day or two early.
Big releases like this, the day its due out.

Never had a problem with them. Best Online Game seller in the UK.
Prices are a little high though.

Skeff

Wouldn't those sales still count as 'day one' sales?

Yea, they'd be counted as day one sales as it's illegal to sell before the street date, so the shops that do sell them before launch wouldn't put them through the books until the launch day.

Dougald

Horrible bastards. I have Prime, so if it's late they can refund my subscription.

Don't count on it, Amazon quietly dropped the "guaranteed next day" from Prime and most games I've had from that service have come by first class which is only "usually" next day.

You'd probably get another free month out of them if you complain though.

UrbanRats

Ugh, this means i'll be playing it on.. what, the 24th? If i'm lucky.
I hope their R* Warehouse is aware of the fact that not every country delivers shit in 24 hours from dispatch.

VERY.

They pride themselves on getting the game to you the next day if you order before 5:30pm.
They even send you a photo of the packed game in the dispatch email.

On normal releases I'll get it a day or two early.
Big releases like this, the day its due out.

Never had a problem with them. Best Online Game seller in the UK.
Prices are a little high though.

Oh no I know that, I order from shopto all the time. I was wondering how reliable their twitter account is. I know with CoD they had to release it when Activision said, so they refused to offer pre-orders for the game.

Yea, they'd be counted as day one sales as it's illegal to sell before the street date, so the shops that do sell them before launch wouldn't put them through the books until the launch day.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Will the PSN version unlock at midnight? Because I just found out that you can get £25 PSN cards for £20.86 from Shopto, which makes it more tempting.

DukeBobby

What? lol

They post by 5:30pm the same day, so they would get GTA 5 out on the 16th for teh 17th as they usually do.

I've used them for years and never had a late delivery.

I still use Shopto often, but it's true that they've raised their prices recently.

With GTA V cheaper elsewhere, also with guaranteed release date delivery, I'm glad I didn't order from them this time. If they could have delivered 2 days early like they usually do, I would definitely have pre-ordered from them instead.

They are still one of my favourite online retailers, though.

Oh no I know that, I order from shopto all the time. I was wondering how reliable their twitter account is. I know with CoD they had to release it when Activision said, so they refused to offer pre-orders for the game.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Ah, lol

They seem to be up to date.

I've tweeted them sometimes and they were quick to reply when Game lost Mass Effect 3 and they had copies to sell.

Santar

I assume they've got these rules everywhere, so that means my preorder at a online retailer probably won't show up until after release as the mail does take two to three days to arrive over here. Just great..

I still use Shopto often, but it's true that they've raised their prices recently.

With GTA V cheaper elsewhere, also with guaranteed release date delivery, I'm glad I didn't order from them this time. If they could have delivered 2 days early like they usually do, I would definitely have pre-ordered from them instead.

They are still one of my favourite online retailers, though.

Are you saying they dont Guarantee it?

I'm a little confused!

They have on their website:

We are so confident that you will receive GTA : Grand Theft Auto V (5) for Tuesday 17th of September 2013 that if for ANY reason you do not we will compensate you with £5.00 to your account.
* Only if pre-ordered by 12pm on Friday 13th of September 2013 See Terms and Conditions

sunnz

While I can see why they want that, still stupid since it increases the chance of people getting there games on the 18th ( or beyond)...

GAME, pls ignore :p

DukeBobby

Are you saying they dont Guarantee it?

I'm a little confused!

They have on their website:

We are so confident that you will receive GTA : Grand Theft Auto V (5) for Tuesday 17th of September 2013 that if for ANY reason you do not we will compensate you with £5.00 to your account.
* Only if pre-ordered by 12pm on Friday 13th of September 2013 See Terms and Conditions

Of course they guarantee delivery on the 17th, but it's a little disappointing that it won't arrive one or two days early, which is usually the case with new games from Shopto.

Storm360

I'm amazed at all you saying you get next day delivery, even first class takes around 3 days in my experience, heck, my import copy of Project Diva F came faster than some normal orders through Royal Mail

bidguy

Banned
£49.99 in UK.

But you can get £25 PSN card's online for £20 - so cost me £40 in total, It ended up £5 more than Amazon, but I like my PS3 being 100% digital download.

jesus im paying 69€ (60£ i think) for the retail copy at amazon. german prices are really fucked up.

kiyomi

Blah, to make it worse I ordered on Amazon via Flubit. Doubt I'll have it even the day after release. :/

flowsnake

Don't count on it, Amazon quietly dropped the "guaranteed next day" from Prime and most games I've had from that service have come by first class which is only "usually" next day.

You'd probably get another free month out of them if you complain though.

Dropped? How can they drop the whole point of the service?

Saiyan-Rox

Copies to remain in warehouses until day before release to ensure smooth launch, GAME says.

Rockstar has requested that online retailers hold off from dispatching copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 until September 16 in an effort to ensure early copies don't reach customers in advance of the official September 17 release date.

In an email sent to customers this evening, UK retailer GAME said that "GTA V is released on 17th September and Rockstar, who publish it, have worked very hard to make it the biggest gaming launch ever.

"They have requested that no UK retailer despatch GTA V before the 16th September and GAME, along with all reputable retailers, will respect this request."

GAME states that it will be processing orders earlier than normal "due to the epic size" of Rockstar's upcoming title, before reiterating that orders will not reach customers early.

The issue of online retailers dispatching copies well in advance of release date has led to one UK retailer - *********** - choosing not to stock copies of one of this year's biggest games.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/g...ailer_dispatch_gta_5_before_september_16.html

That one UK retailer being Shopto and CoD lets see them being childish and doing it now on GTA tho I highly doubt it

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm amazed at all you saying you get next day delivery, even first class takes around 3 days in my experience, heck, my import copy of Project Diva F came faster than some normal orders through Royal Mail

I've never had a first class post take three days, pretty much always get stuff the next day.

Top Bottom