• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Agkel

898BblL.jpg

"A genealogical Rogue-"Lite" for PC."

QeZLlRY.jpg

Developer/Publisher:
Cellar Door Games

Release date:
June 27, 2013

Price:
$10 Pre-order UNTIL June 23 HERE
$15 after June 23

Platforms:
PC,MAC,Linux
*PC will be released first
**Steam copy and DRM free version, with soundtrack if you buy through their website.

You can download the Demo HERE

0TNOmMV.jpg

Minimum Specs:
Operating System*: Windows XP/VIsta/7
CPU: 1.6 Ghz
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: ATI 1950 Pro / Nvidia 7900 GT
Hard Drive Space: 400 MB

Recommended Specs:
Operating System*: Windows XP/VIsta/7
CPU: 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: AMD HD 4770 / Nvidia 8800 GTS
Hard Drive Space: 400 MB

*Support for Windows 8, Mac OSX, and Linux coming later.

yoi6hnM.jpg

From their Website:
-A rogue-"lite" game for PC, Mac and Linux.
-You will die, but your children will avenge you. They might be genetically deficient, but that's ok. You still love your colour-blind baby. Or do you?
-A procedurally generated castle. Every playthrough is different.
-Over 8 classes to choose from. Each class has unique abilities which change the way you play the game.
-Every time you play you get a little stronger. Never back to square 1.
-Find tons of loot and deck your dood OUT.
-Massive Skill tree? What? Yup.
-New game+? Zup? Yup.
-Equip runes and customize your character however you want. Wanna fly? GO FOR IT!
-Got a controller? Play with a controller. Big Picture ready!
-Fart Jokes. Or not... Depends on how much you hate children with I.B.S.
Clowns.

Translation:
Legacy Rogue is a "rogue-like" game, where you play as a Valiant Hero(*and eventually his offspring), exploring a castle and its adjacent areas for a "Special Item". Some of the unique features of the game are tied to the progression mechanics of the game. There are tons of upgrades that are carried throughout the deaths of your characters. Such as Armor, Strength, Magic, Life HP, Runes among others. In addition to the progression mechanics in the game, there's also the random mechanics in place. From the traits that your characters posses, to the rooms and treasures in these rooms.

*I can't pretend I can efficiently explain all the intricacies in play, therefore I strongly suggest you try the demo (small download) and finish forming your own opinion.

qxD6y8I.jpg

Videos:
Official Release Date Announcement YT

Rogue Legacy: Giant Bomb Quick Look YT

Sjindie Games - Rogue Legacy YT

Screenshots:

ClownTalk.gif

Custom Grid View Steam Icons by Gaffer Afro
si27Vx4.png
LRSQo27.png

skojPBX.png
Y1mC9Ix.png

Rest are Here

This one by Last Baron
j8xYU4SgxyZr3.png

Agkel

I hate to be the first post on my thread but anyone interested in getting this game, you have until today to get it for $10 which also nets you DRM free version and soundtrack.

I might as well post my quick impressions here. I had not heard of this game at all until yesterday
Thank you based Patrick, fuck da' haters!
. I enjoyed the GB Quick Look and downloaded the demo. 3 hours later I realized I had not stopped playing the demo.

It is really fun, I enjoyed the fact that you can progress throughout the game and that it carries over. It has some jokes in it and it'll make you at least smirk every once in a while, especially with the character traits.

I am concerned about cheesing in the game though. I found out pretty quickly that with
archmages and the fireball
spell allow you to clear rooms in no time, taking away the challenge of the game. Other than that, I'm pretty excited to see this game come out since it is a pretty refreshing experience IMO.

Played the pre-order demo and found it to be very fun even if the beggining is really harsh, once you get some new items it allows you to progress farther and farther into the castle... Didn't want to spoil it so I just left it at that and decided to wait for the release.
With this, Spelunky and Payday 2 it's gonna be an awesome summer.

P.S. : No clowns in the OP ? I am disappoint.

The GiantBomb quick look sold me on the game. I've put a couple hours into the demo and have really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of games like the Binding of Isaac or Dungeons of Dredmor then you'll probably have a lot of fun with this. Gonna stop playing the demo until the full version is out in a few days.

Agkel

Played the pre-order demo and found it to be very fun even if the beggining is really harsh, once you get some new items it allows you to progress farther and farther into the castle... Didn't want to spoil it so I just left it at that and decided to wait for the release.
With this, Spelunky and Payday 2 it's gonna be an awesome summer.

P.S. : No clowns in the OP ? I am disappoint.

Ask and you shall receive! lol

I also enjoyed the fact the progression mechanics and how it allows you to reach further into the castle on every play. Especially considering there seems to be a TON of different rooms combined with the random generation, you never feel like it's a repetitive process.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This does indeed look pretty epic! I remember the announcement trailer? and laughed my ass off at it.

Uiki

*Support for Windows 8, Mac OSX, and Linux coming later.

Later? I played the demo on w8 without problems.

Don't tell me that I need w7 to play the retail version, I already bought it.

Agkel

Later? I played the demo on w8 without problems.

Don't tell me that I need w7 to play the retail version, I already bought it.

Im guessing their covering their ass for any hiccups W8 may cause. I also played the demo on W8 and I don't see why the retail version wouldn't work on W8.

Probably marketplace.

edit: *beaten

Uiki

Im guessing their covering their ass for any hiccups W8 may cause. I also played the demo on W8 and I don't see why the retail version wouldn't work on W8.

Probably marketplace.

edit: *beaten

*stopping w7 installation*

I've been interested in this since first reading about it on RPS.

I thought I could wait before picking it up, but after trying the demo I had to pre-order immediately. It's that awesome.

Yeah, I preordered due to someone bringing this up in the Steam thread yesterday. I liked the demo a lot. I didn't want to play anymore in case progress wouldn't transfer to Steam version.

Volodja

Stuff carrying over from run to run is not my favourite approach to roguelike elements, but it's fine when it's done in an interesting way and this seems to be the case, so definitely not a dealbreaker, especially for 10 dollars.

I'll play the demo a bit more while waiting for the release.

aravuus

Stuff carrying over from run to run is not my favourite approach to roguelike elements, but it's fine when it's done in an interesting way and this seems to be the case, so definitely not a dealbreaker, especially for 10 dollars.

I'll play the demo a bit more while waiting for the release.

I think the stuff carrying over is one of the features I liked so much I pre-ordered.

Arsin

Should put the Giantbomb quicklook right at the top. It's what sold me on the game.

Same here. Some of the traits are pretty amazing and had me laughing pretty hard. The dyslexic one is the best I have seen so far.

Pre-ordered and can't wait to play more.

I watched the quicklook yesterday and was bummed to see that I missed the pre-order offer, I would have missed the fact that they extended it without the OT going up so thanks a lot.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just bought it after watching the quicklook. Looks really awesome. Get a drm free version plus steam key later, and soundtrack for 10$. Not a bad deal at all!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ugh I bought it after the quick look but the demo runs like absolute shit on my system. There is no sound and after about ten minutes the frame rate drops to single digits. I wonder if they will refund me.

ScOULaris

Ugh I bought it after the quick look but the demo runs like absolute shit on my system. There is no sound and after about ten minutes the frame rate drops to single digits. I wonder if they will refund me.
What are your specs? Now I'm worried about my laptop.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What are your specs? Now I'm worried about my laptop.

5770, some random AMD quadcore processor that I don't remember, 4gb ram.

But I am running Windows 8 so maybe that is the problem. Either way it becomes completely unplayable extremely quickly. Starts out buttery smooth and then throws up all over itself.

Edit:Running it in XP compatibility mode seems to have cleared up all of my issues. Good thing too, because this game is awesome.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I wonder how much depth this game has. Im mostly interested in variety in terms of enemy and environment. GB QL made it seem like it had a lot of abilities and unlockables to buy which is great. The whole family dynamic is really cool too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I wonder how much depth this game has. Im mostly interested in variety in terms of enemy and environment. GB QL made it seem like it had a lot of abilities and unlockables to buy which is great. The whole family dynamic is really cool too.
I don't think the depth will be anywhere near something like Spelunky, but I think there is enough charm and gameplay variation to make it well worthwhile.

Miletius

Based on this thread I gave the demo a try. Based on the demo I preordered. This looks like a ton of fun, I've been playing a lot of FTL and BoI lately so I'm always interested in more Rouge-like ('lite') fun.

hoggert

qxD6y8I.jpg

Ever since I unlocked that acursed crown, the nightmares never end! Every day is an ordeal and finding a carbon copy of him in 3D Dot Heroes didn't help one bit.

Agkel

hmm using the 360 controller and my character get stuck moving left whenever i move that direction

Mine does that with 4 of my 5 360 pads. I figured out that a quick flick of the left stick to the right fixes it. I dont know if it has somethi g to do with the pads deadzone or a calibration thing but that fixes it for me.

I remem er playing another game a few years ago that had this same problem but i cant remember which game it was

Top Bottom