• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This company fucking hates ratings and Network Subscriptions.

It wasn't even the result that mattered here, the entire Rumble was a terribly booked mess. The way they booked every face was just terribly done. The Rusev "not being eliminated, returning and IMMEDIATELY being eliminated" was hands down the worst shit ever.

Bubba Ray, but no Devon? That was dumb. Fandango, Adam Rose, and a bunch of jobbers instead of returns. The Rock coming back to give Roman dat rub, I bet Vince really thought that would work. Ziggler, Ambrose, all shitty eliminations. Kane and Big Show in 2015? Fucking really?

Discarding the ending, the entire rumble was just shit.

Even the Kofi spot was PISS.

I wasn't even expecting much, and I still hated it. Only Wyatt and Rusev came out of this looking good, if you disregard Rusev's elimination.

Kinda reminded me of the '99 Rumble (I think?) [minus the roster diversity] where like half the roster lasted less than a few minutes and got instantly thrown out by nothing. making the rumble shit in terms of anything going on in-ring, since you got great dudes getting eliminated in a few minutes after a few punches instead of actually doing anything interesting

And, Bray Wyatt, dominant heel for 90% of the Rumble, also got eliminated by Show and Kane. lmao.

UberTag

Rollins/Orton is going to be fire though. Easy MOTN at Wrestlemania if Orton shows up motivated.
No question about that. It's the only potential Mania match with any sort of promise of being good whatsoever.

Lesnar vs. Reigns - Will be awful apart from the spectacle of seeing the fans shit on Roman. This won't be another Brock vs. Goldberg as Lesnar is now legitimate in these fans eyes and they will cheer him even if he's on his way out the door.

Sting vs. Triple H - Will be god awful. Just like any match Sting has had in the past decade. I doubt Daniel Bryan could get a good match out of Sting.

Cena vs. Rusev - Well, we all know what the outcome here is going to be, right? We've been waiting for Rusev's streak to be fed to "the man who feeds us" for months now. This match "should" actually be booked decently and fun to watch... at least until Cena no sells some offense at the end. I emphasize "should" because Cena seems to have lost a step of late. He was in a great match tonight but that had absolutely nothing to do with his contribution.

Orton vs. Rollins should be a spectacle. Randy has plenty of reason to be motivated knowing how those other 3 matches will be greeted by the hardcore fans.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Read somewhere that fans at the arena were trying to prevent WWE talent from leaving after the show by blocking cars. Any truth to that or just random rumor mongering?

Anth0ny

So, WWE Facebook page, lets do our standard post-show poll to see what the WWE Universe thinks of our effort:
bfd98fa7d6b831c8f2841ee2f46d3eee.jpg

good sign for roman reigns

not like they care what some INTERNET fans think

or a STADIUM FULL OF FANS

fuck em

Browny

Banned
There's one thing you can (almost) guarantee - they'll have to pull out all the stops on Raw tonight to stand even the smallest chance of slowing down the social backlash they're experiencing.

No real big surprises at the Rumble means they have to step it up to keep people interested. And no Vince, that doesn't mean Rusev and Cena staring at each other.

Rapstah

Even if it had been an amazing ending to a Rumble match, it was really stupid to have Rusev come back in and get eliminated. I was paying attention (???) and had no idea he was still in the match.

squall211

I haven't really watched WWE in the last 6 months or so...only reading recaps. I woke up yesterday morning and considered re-upping to the network for the Royal Rumble & Wrestlemania. As the day went on it ended up slipping my mind. Just now I finished reading another website's review of the PPV and man, thank god for my shitty short-term memory. I would have been so pissed if I had paid money (even if it was just 9.99!) for that hot garbage last night.

And LOL at WWE trying to shove Roman Reigns even further down the fans throats by having the Rock give his "endorsement".

Edit: I probably will tune in to RAW tonight however just to see how badly that backlash carries over.

UberTag

I haven't really watched WWE in the last 6 months or so...only reading recaps. I woke up yesterday morning and considered re-upping to the network for the Royal Rumble & Wrestlemania. As the day went on it ended up slipping my mind. Just now I finished reading another website's review of the PPV and man, thank god for my shitty short-term memory. I would have been so pissed if I had paid money (even if it was just 9.99!) for that hot garbage last night.
Just imagine how the people who paid $500 on average for their seats felt.

Mahonay

Banned
Even if it had been an amazing ending to a Rumble match, it was really stupid to have Rusev come back in and get eliminated. I was paying attention (???) and had no idea he was still in the match.
Yep. I didn't realize he was still in it either. When he popped back up I started cheering for him desperately. That was short lived as he was eliminated immediately.

FUCK

Also my general response to the seemingly random Bryan elimination was just"Wait...what? Really?".

Honestly a lot of that Rumble felt like Vince going well out of his way to give the fans a big middle finger. At least Wyatt looked strong?

Ending aside, I enjoyed the format of the rumble. There was a lot less "lots of people in the ring pretending to do something" time which gave people more time to shine.

Generally the wrong people of course, but one step at a time. It was much better in this regard than previous years.

MC Safety

I think this is now a well-worn cliche. Lord knows I'm all for simplifying professional wrestling's complex jumble of rules, but maybe wrestlers should be disqualified if they loiter outside the ring for more than, say, 10 seconds during the Rumble.

Get on it, Jack Tunney.

Ending aside, I enjoyed the format of the rumble. There was a lot less "lots of people in the ring pretending to do something" time which gave people more time to shine.

Generally the wrong people of course, but one step at a time.

This is why I normally hate Rumble matches. The reveals and spots are nice, but everything else tends to be garbage.

Just felt like so many jobbers coming out, one after another, I swear there was like 12 members of New Day, they just kept coming out.

Its like WHOS F**KING 'MUSIC' IS THIS *no reaction* OH.... THEM, *no reaction*.

The ends was like HOLY SHIT, I think the fact that Dwayne came out made it even worse, like they fully knew Reigns was gonna get shit on and actively had to have a plan for it before hand to try and counter the boos. Seriously? SERIOUSLY VINCE? And you still think its the right thing to be doing.

*shakes head*

Rapstah

I think this is now a well-worn cliche. Lord knows I'm all for simplifying professional wrestling's complex jumble of rules, but maybe wrestlers should be disqualified if they loiter outside the ring for more than, say, 10 seconds during the Rumble.

Get on it, Jack Tunney.

I feel like they've "disqualified" wrestlers who disappeared without being eliminated in the past. I think the Big Boss Man rule of "you have to enter before the next man enters" is canonical, but I have no idea why Erick Rowan would walk to the back after being eliminated if he wasn't officially in the match anyway.

PrawnyNZ

And to think I was thinking of skipping the title match - that would have been a mistake. Great match.

I'd do two things now.

Have J & J Security rough Lesnar up on the next RAW, then have the MITB cashed in for a title change.

Then have Rock do an older, wiser wrestler thing - tell Reigns he's not ready, and he won't survive Wrestlemania if he doesn't do something about it. Have him fight singles each week to quickly build up experience and credibility.

Doesn't even need to be Rock, bring back an experienced manager maybe.

I didn't know Rusev was still in it either at the end, such a terribly booked mess of a match, I was wondering why there was a random "We want Rusev!" chant.

Gawd I cheered so hard for him for that 1 second when I realised he was still in. :( It was like last year when everyone cheered for (lol) Reigns funnily enough because the anyone better than Bootista because if its not D-Bry then f**k everything factor.

Speaking off, bring back Bootista lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
This is why I normally hate Rumble matches. The reveals and spots are nice, but everything else tends to be garbage.

That's why Dario Cueto created the Aztec Warfare match, which is all the fun of the Rumble, and the Rumble match itself is actually fun!

And to think I was thinking of skipping the title match - that would have been a mistake. Great match.

I'd do two things now.

Have J & J Security rough Lesnar up on the next RAW, then have the MITB cashed in for a title change.

Then have Rock do an older, wiser wrestler thing - tell Reigns he's not ready, and he won't survive Wrestlemania if he doesn't do something about it. Have him fight singles each week to quickly build up experience and credibility.

Doesn't even need to be Rock, bring back an experienced manager maybe.
This wouldn't make any sense considering how incredibly weak they are portrayed to be, even together.

I guess that means it might happen.

That's why Dario Cueto created the Aztec Warfare match, which is all the fun of the Rumble, and the Rumble match itself is actually fun!

I'm ignorant to this :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know Rusev was still in it either at the end, such a terribly booked mess of a match, I was wondering why there was a random "We want Rusev!" chant.

Gawd I cheered so hard for him for that 1 second when I realised he was still in. :( It was like last year when everyone cheered for (lol) Reigns funnily enough because the anyone better than Bootista because if its not D-Bry then f**k everything factor.

Speaking off, bring back Bootista lol.

In other words, the "we want Rusev" chant now insures that Rusev will win the 2016 royal rumble?

I didn't even know why Rusev's name was being chanted at first

It wasn't until he came back in the ring that I realized that he was still in the match. But fuck, that didn't last long at all.

RaGe_pt

I haven't watched wrestling for the last 4 or 5 years (I was sick and tired of the John Cena bullshit and stoped watching it). Is it still the same old shit or has it got any better? From the comments above I feel that it's still the same if not worse.

In other words, the "we want Rusev" chant now insures that Rusev will win the 2016 royal rumble?

More likely Reigns 2.0 Lets Try This Again Edition.

*Dwayne's phone rings*

"Hello, ya, *sigh* ok I'll be right there."

He even pulled the same arm raising hand gesture that they made him do for Cena lol.

STOP IT VINCE JUST STOP.

Aiii

So not worth it
I haven't watched wrestling for the last 4 or 5 years (I was sick and tired of the John Cena bullshit and stoped watching it). Is it still the same old shit or has it got any better? From the comments above I feel that it's still the same if not worse.

If by wrestling you mean WWE? Sure.

If you're interested in wrestling and want to watch it, watch Lucha Underground I posted above. Watch New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 9 (Jim Ross did commentary for this) and finally make sure to watch WWE NXT R Evolution (from WWE's developmental system, which has the top wrestling talent in the world right now).

That will completely rekindle your love for wrestling, wrestling has been really good lately, just not WWE.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If by wrestling you mean WWE? Sure.

If you're interested in wrestling and want to watch it, watch Lucha Underground I posted above. Watch New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 9 (Jim Ross did commentary for this) and finally make sure to watch WWE NXT R Evolution (from WWE's developmental system, which has the top wrestling talent in the world right now).

That will completely rekindle your love for wrestling, wrestling has been really good lately, just not WWE.

The great thing about NXT is that Vince doesn't give a damn about it. He lets HHH and Dusty do whatever they want

Alucard

Banned

Cena lost in a triple threat last night and is staying away from the Title picture at least through Mania. Or so it seems. There are some exciting wrestlers coming up, but you'll still be angry about how some of them get treated while not praising the WWE for the ones they handle right. (Rollins)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
rewatch the ending. you can hear backstage people laughing. rock gets legit pissed. I don't know what's going on here but you can tell they were shook. for some big guys the yhave the most fragile egos. reigns is trash and gets booed so I'm guessing things were tense and awkward once they got backstage. rock sticking up for his family and people in general laughing about the event. I'm not sure what is going on but you can tell some shit went down backstage.

I honestly wonder if Rock pays enough attention to the internet to know what was coming. He looked legitimately shocked at the reaction. With his ego, it wouldn't surprise me if it makes him think twice about coming back for an appearance.

Daniel Bryan can't win everything every year we know this, but last years shit just doesn't count to the fans. Like the way it went down just actually felt like a continuation of the D-Bry gets shit on cause he sucks story line. Even when he wins he loses.

Wins belt at WM, instantly feuding with f**king Kane and then gets the belt stripped off him. Obviously it wasn't planned but they have to understand why the fans aren't satisfied.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I stopped in 2006 and came back during CM Punk's pipebomb speech 3 years ago.

I would say the roster is better than it's been in a very long time, but the booking is keeping them back big time, which is what makes it so aggrevating.

When I left, all the complaints were about them not building up anyone other than Cena. Now they have plenty of guys that don't even need building up, and they're simply not pulling the trigger on them.

Daniel Bryan can't win everything every year we know this, but last years shit just doesn't count to the fans. Like the way it went down just actually felt like a continuation of the D-Bry gets shit on cause he sucks story line. Even when he wins he loses.

Wins belt at WM, instantly feuding with f**king Kane and then gets the belt stripped off him. Obviously it wasn't planned but they have to understand why the fans aren't satisfied.

That's the problem.

Vince will make guys who he thinks should be superstars not people who are actually over with the crows. Punk was buried by HHH, Bryan had to wither in stupid territory.

It's not that Bryan HAD to win this year. It's that he had no effect, no showing, NOTHING in the Rumble. And that is crap.

Who has been pushed to become a Superstar in the past 10 odd years?
Cena - now stale
Orton - Probably best superstar WWE has right now. He can be a heel, face and can have great matches.
Batista - Horrible return, gone now.

Punk/Bryan became superstars on their own terms not getting a push from the company. Punk left because even though he was over like hell he had never got a spotlight. He had to be part of shit feuds and then basically HHH didn't like him. Bryan was put over largely due to crowd and even Batista saw how his booking was terribly handled and after that he had shit feuds too.

They tried with:
Sheamus = failed
Ryback = failed
ADR = failed

Biggest problem with 4 above? They came in and immediately went for the spotlight. They weren't built up.

Edge became a superstar and was legit but injury cut that short.

WWE should be looking at Bryan, Rollins, Rusev, Ziggler, Ambrose, Bray Wyatt as the next cornerstone of the company. And I am not sure Vince will give Rollins a chance he should be getting.

Punk and Bryan should have been the spotlight and main event players 2-3 years ago and taken over those spots from Cena, Orton, HHH. But they never did because Vince didn't believe in them.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Seriously the New Age Outlaws in 2015...

REALLY!?

I gave up on WWE, stop watching Raw even, stopped posting in WrassleGAF along time ago with the shit product they have

Hell I just read all the info of what transpired in RR, Jesus!

Forkball

I don't think the WWE could have booked Reigns into a worse position. Last year at the Rumble, he was completely over. He looked extremely strong and had some great spots. He was still hot in The Shield, but afterwards he was just kind of there. He had a good match with Orton at Summerslam, but beyond that he had no real feuds and got injured. Ever since he came back, he has been given the WORST promos you could possibly imagine and he's feuding with the Big Show. THE BIG SHOW. He went from spouting off action hero one-liners to saying "suffering sucotash." This is the guy who's supposed to defeat The ONE in twenty-one and ONE? Do you guys realize that he's got to 1v1 Heyman in PROMOS?

I actually like Reigns. He has a lot of potential, some great moves, and is a believable badass. But he also has a lot of room for improvement and has been almost sabotaged by booking ever since he came back from his injury.

Bryan is a far better candidate to face Lesnar. Maybe WWE feels burned by the fact that they gave him the title at Mania, had him defeat Evolution single handedly, and then got injured for a year. I can understand that, but Lesnar vs. Bryan is far, far more compelling than Lesnar vs. Reigns and the match would certainly be better. Bryan's basically got nothing for Mania. Maybe Sheamus, but UGH. His downfall can only be described as Mizesque.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's the problem.

Vince will make guys who he thinks should be superstars not people who are actually over with the crows. Punk was buried by HHH, Bryan had to wither in stupid territory.

It's not that Bryan HAD to win this year. It's that he had no effect, no showing, NOTHING in the Rumble. And that is crap.

Who has been pushed to become a Superstar in the past 10 odd years?
Cena - now stale
Orton - Probably best superstar WWE has right now. He can be a heel, face and can have great matches.
Batista - Horrible return, gone now.

Punk/Bryan became superstars on their own terms not getting a push from the company. Punk left because even though he was over like hell he had never got a spotlight. He had to be part of shit feuds and then basically HHH didn't like him. Bryan was put over largely due to crowd and even Batista saw how his booking was terribly handled and after that he had shit feuds too.

They tried with:
Sheamus = failed
Ryback = failed
ADR = failed

Biggest problem with 4 above? They came in and immediately went for the spotlight. They weren't built up.

Edge became a superstar and was legit but injury cut that short.

WWE should be looking at Bryan, Rollins, Rusev, Ziggler, Ambrose, Bray Wyatt as the next cornerstone of the company. And I am not sure Vince will give Rollins a chance he should be getting.

Punk and Bryan should have been the spotlight and main event players 2-3 years ago and taken over those spots from Cena, Orton, HHH. But they never did because Vince didn't believe in them.

Edge was also around for 7-8 years before he was anywhere near the world title picture.

I just don't understand why they need to "create" everything. Reigns would have developed on his own I believe, since he has a good look and a few unique moves, but it just seems so artificial when pushed like this. Same thing with Bryan. They had someone that was over on his own, yet they did nothing but push him down. Suddenly they want to let him have his dues, but instead of just unleashing him, they have to "create" this star that already exists on it's own. That shit just doesn't make any sense to me, as it makes your product seen incredibly artificial in the worst way.

I don't hate you, Roman. I don't even dislike you. I do like you; I like you a hell lot more than I like most people in the back. I hate this idea that you're the best...because you're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom