• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

I wonder how back stage was.

pg2BnmZ.png

The Rumble match was the worst of all time. Kane and Big Show were in the final four in 2015. Really!? They were both in the final four in 2000 and it was awesome. It made sense in 2000, but that was 15 years ago. Can you imagine if the 2005 Rumble featured Earthquake or Akeem in the Final Four? Kane had about as good of a chance of winning in 2015 as Big John Studd in 2005. (And, yes, I am perfectly aware that Studd had already died by that point.)

This is a sign of how stagnant the product is. In fairness, WWE only left the giants in for so long because they knew the fans would shit on Roman if he was left with Daniel Bryan... or Dolph Ziggler... or Mizdow... or Ambrose... It wasn't so much that these guys didn't win; It's the fact that they really did nothing of consequence in the match. WWE went out of their way to make sure that none of the faces did anything important. This completely sucked the life out of the crowd and the match. And the worst part is that it was all for naught. At the end of the day, the fans actually sided with Russian Ludvig Borga over Roman.

Last year, they overestimated Batista's appeal, but they KNEW the fans were going to hate this Rumble. If you plans require the Rock to come out in an effort to silence the boos, the you should probably rethink your plans.

Roxas

They need to give Reigns a manager desperately. The Rock would be great but he's not gonna do it on a weekly basis. Who else is there?

Hex

Banned
The worst part was that the ending was so predictable.
The worst thing that they could have done to an even reasonbly smart crowd was shove some bullshit with Kane and Big Show in the final three down their throats expecting people to buy it,

#cancelwwenetwork is still trending.

So tonight I expect Cole to say "The WWE Universe is just upset that Sheamus wasn't in the rumble, but he's here in Hartford!"

Hasney

For how shit it was, I wasn't disappointed. I wouldn't have re-subscribed if it wasn't in a town like Philly because we knew the result going in. I just can't believe how badly they botch the execution to the point of Rusev becoming a super face at the end.

Watching a slow motion car crash like that live is wonderful. You can't just read the reaction
No matter how indignant you sound when calling into the LAW

Striker

They need to give Reigns a manager desperately. The Rock would be great but he's not gonna do it on a weekly basis. Who else is there?
The best speaker to do so is Zeb, but he's out. And it wouldn't make sense to begin with. Neither would Heyman.

So..... they're boned. Prepare for more nursery rhymes and BITCH.

Rapstah

The best speaker to do so is Zeb, but he's out. And it wouldn't make sense to begin with. Neither would Heyman.

So..... they're boned. Prepare for more nursery rhymes and BITCH.

Vince just wants his top babyface to do The Rock-style promos by himself. Reigns isn't getting a manager as a babyface.

Heels are obviously different, but when's the last time the company's top face has needed a manager? Bret Hart had horrible mic skills for most of his time on top, but he didn't need a manager to get over. Hogan had Jimmy Hart in 1993, but he obviously didn't need him. Backlund and Sammartino had Skaaland, but Skaaland's role was very understated. Savage had Elizabeth, but Savage certainly didn't need a mouthpiece.

In the 60+ years that the WWE has existed, never has the top face of the company needed a manager to get over. Nobody is going to buy you as the face of the company if you need a manager to work the crowd for you.

Striker

Vince just wants his top babyface to do The Rock-style promos by himself. Reigns isn't getting a manager as a babyface.
Which is fine if the face can come off as natural and charismatic as somebody like The Rock can. But it's a very small group (none do in today's crop).

They could peg themselves for SummerSlam if they have Rusev beats Cena. But that isn't going to happen. They need fresh faces desperately in the main event, regardless.

Hasney

You hear the pop Swagger got even after the DB elimination? It may not make sense, but just put him out to Real American and start yelling We The People. Beat Rusev at Fast Lane and baby, you got it Reigning up in this bitch.

Ithil

The worst part was that the ending was so predictable.
The worst thing that they could have done to an even reasonbly smart crowd was shove some bullshit with Kane and Big Show in the final three down their throats expecting people to buy it,

This is the same company that gave you Batista vs Big Show, in the Hammerstein Ballroom, at an ECW reunion PPV.

Rapstah

Is Vickie still around?

No, she was fired after Roman Reigns put laxatives in the ice coffee she had been ordered to give to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, and then lost a "put your opponent in an inflatable swimming pool filled with poop" match to Stephanie.

Ban Puncher

That was a better Royal Rumble event than the last couple of years.

Until about halfway through the actual Rumble, then it violently changed gears and became a big ol' pile of poop.

Will continue to pay $9.99 for NXT and not giving a fuck about Raw, Smackdown and most PPVs.

I think my final four would have been Bray, Rusev, Reigns and Bryan.

Have Bryan take out Rusev to setup a potential Wrestlemania match between the two.
Bray takes out Bryan. Bray is an uber beast at this point since he's been in so long. Just make it a more dramatic elimination than the shit they actually pulled.
Have Reigns be the one to finally finish off the dominant Bray.

Bray gets a good push out of this. He looks really dominant. That heel heat for taking out Bryan is going to look a lot better at the end of the match in a more dramatic elimination.

Bryan looks better than he did in the actual Rumble.

Rusev looks strong and has a potentially good feud against someone who could potentially beat him.

Reigns takes out the man who took out Bryan, which may actually get him a few pops.

The way it is now both Bray and Rusev's long run in the Rumble is pretty much forgotten. Bryan was eliminated like a chump and Reigns is anything but a worthy Rumble champ who sat on the shoulder's of The Rock for his victory lap.

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

Is Roman HORRIBLE? No, they've pushed worse. At one point Roman was over as fuck, problem is it was with the Shield. When they split it became crystal clear Dean and Seth are the true stars, Roman was just the flashy muscle. Roman was NOT over in the last Rumble. They just really didn't want Batista to win. They wanted DBry. Now, WWE for about the millionth time is fucking up another potential great push. Is his career dead? of course not, but this isn't how you start shit off. Only really good wrestlers can bounce back after a forced push ( Orton is a great example of this).

When did things go wrong? Punks Podcast. Even though he wasn't really shooting, i think his comments left a bad taste in every ones mouth. Once the marks found out he was a HHH/Vince pet, he was pretty much done. Then the god awful forced push starts happening. Superstar of the year? The same year DBry over came odds that would make Cena tear? The same year Brock fucking Lesnar beat the streak and SQUASHED Cena clean????

You're just begging us to hate this guy. And bringing back the Rock to help the boos was extremely cringe worthy. You knew he was going to get shitted on and still did it anyways. I know shit can change but as of now WM31 looks god awful, even worse than the original WM30 plans.

Honestly i'm more upset about the fact Bryan/Lesnar might never happen.

Atouba

I wish we germanys would only pay 9,99$. We have to pay ~17$ (15 Euro) in pre-purchase - after that ~22,50$ (20 Euro). only for only one pay per view. No WWE Network for us - weekly shows only with delay in free tv.

The title match was pretty great, the rumble match was okay - the end was horrible. Reigns as the winner is okay, but the final four were just a joke. Everything was already said in this thread.

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

Is Roman HORRIBLE? No, they've pushed worse. At one point Roman was over as fuck, problem is it was with the Shield. When they split it became crystal clear Dean and Seth are the true stars, Roman was just the flashy muscle. Roman was NOT over in the last Rumble. They just really didn't want Batista to win. They wanted DBry. Now, WWE for about the millionth time is fucking up another potential great push. Is his career dead? of course not, but this isn't how you start shit off. Only really good wrestlers can bounce back after a forced push ( Orton is a great example of this).

When did things go wrong? Punks Podcast. Even though he wasn't really shooting, i think his comments left a bad taste in every ones mouth. Once the marks found out he was a HHH/Vince pet, he was pretty much done. Then the god awful forced push starts happening. Superstar of the year? The same year DBry over came odds that would make Cena tear? The same year Brock fucking Lesnar beat the streak and SQUASHED Cena clean????

You're just begging us to hate this guy. And bringing back the Rock to help the boos was extremely cringe worthy. You knew he was going to get shitted on and still did it anyways. I know shit can change but as of now WM31 looks god awful, even worse than the original WM30 plans.

Honestly i'm more upset about the fact Bryan/Lesnar might never happen.
It's never happening. Reigns is THE guy.

Hasney

Zigglers one of the best cardio guys they have, I'm surprised they didn't have him come out number 1 and have Ziggler sarcastically remark that it's "all random" after the match. Make him last until the final 4 and it sticks in peoples minds as a plus point.

Instead, after coming out at number 30:

MnLdbqh.gif

In 2015

Ithil

Have Bryan take out Rusev to setup a potential Wrestlemania match between the two.
Bray takes out Bryan. Bray is an uber beast at this point since he's been in so long. Just make it a more dramatic elimination than the shit they actually pulled.
Have Reigns be the one to finally finish off the dominant Bray.

Bray gets a good push out of this. He looks really dominant. That heel heat for taking out Bryan is going to look a lot better at the end of the match in a more dramatic elimination.

Bryan looks better than he did in the actual Rumble.

Rusev looks strong and has a potentially good feud against someone who could potentially beat him.

Reigns takes out the man who took out Bryan, which may actually get him a few pops.

The way it is now both Bray and Rusev's long run in the Rumble is pretty much forgotten. Bryan was eliminated like a chump and Reigns is anything but a worthy Rumble champ who sat on the shoulder's of The Rock for his victory lap.

Nah. At one point in the Rumble, Bray slammed down Reigns, and was cheered for it. Bray, the guy that eliminated Bryan in the first place. The crowd aren't stupid, they knew from the start that Reigns was the "chosen one" and they did not want it. They were booing even video clips of Reigns earlier in the night.

They saw through every trick by WWE, even the Rock's appearance, and even that wouldn't have worked. The only thing that would have worked was to not have Reigns win. Even after Bryan went out, the crowd would have been fine with Ziggler or Ambrose or a couple of others winning.

Nah. At one point in the Rumble, Bray slammed down Reigns, and was cheered for it. Bray, the guy that eliminated Bryan in the first place. The crowd aren't stupid, they knew from the start that Reigns was the "chosen one" and they did not want it. They were booing even video clips of Reigns earlier in the night.

They saw through every trick by WWE, even the Rock's appearance, and even that wouldn't have worked. The only thing that would have worked was to not have Reigns win. Even after Bryan went out, the crowd would have been fine with Ziggler or Ambrose or a couple of others winning.

I'm just trying to find the best scenario with Reigns winning since there was no other option that Vince was going to endorse.

I still think Reigns gets a lot of boos in my scenario but it at least makes for a more entertaining end that sets up a couple of guys for stories going into Mania. Instead, they had Show and Kane clear the ring.

Amory

But then Big Show wouldn't have gotten his big chance to punch people in the face for instant wins!

I really didn't have a huge problem with the PPV last night. But letting Big Show and Kane be an important part of the 20-fucking-15 royal rumble is unforgivable. What are they thinking??

Hasney

Reigns won't ever be the successor to Cena they want him to be. They can push him into that position all they want, but financially he'll never do for them what Cena was able to.

And to be fair, even Cenas original push to the main event was organic. They did try to push him early, didn't have the crowd backing so they aborted, turned him heel and he used that character to put him on top. With Reigns, they're just forcing it down our throats now.

Hex

Banned
Brock will be so over going into Mania.
They are going to have to have Brock cripple the Rock, Dean Ambrose, an Uso, someone's mom all to try and get some heat on him at the same time having Roman get the Authority treatment week after week after week.

Ithil

It's never happening. Reigns is THE guy.

He wasn't the guy before, and he sure as fuck won't be now. WWE in their haste to force him as the new Guy, pretty much just ensured he won't be.

And they've picked many, many guys who turned out to not be the right choice, before,from Luger to Diesel to Sheamus to Orton to Del Rio, etc.

Uzzy

They are going to have to have Brock cripple the Rock, Dean Ambrose, an Uso, someone's mom all to try and get some heat on him at the same time having Roman get the Authority treatment week after week after week.

Brock could literally rip Daniel Bryan's head off on the RAW before WM, and he'd still get cheered to the rafters against Reigns.

Hasney

Eh, I wouldn't put Orton in that list. The crowd wanted it to happen, but as the Legend Killer. Not in love with Stacey pandering babyface Orton.

He wasn't the guy before, and he sure as fuck won't be now. WWE in their haste to force him as the new Guy, pretty much just ensured he won't be.

And they've picked many, many guys who turned out to not be the right choice, before,from Luger to Diesel to Sheamus to Orton to Del Rio, etc.

If only Vince lived in the same reality we do.

Reigns is the guy in his universe so Reigns is the guy.

Vince McMahon is the WWE Universe.

The fans. (This is my favorite choice. Of course the WWE will just blame the weather.)

This is the one that never happens. Not enough people willing to vote with their wallets.

Similarly, lots of people un-subscribing from the WWE Network, but I bet the majority will be back for Mania.

With Reigns, they're just forcing it down our throats now.

Pretty much, they're far to impatient with Reigns, which is all the more galling considering the people who are over that aren't being pushed as hard.

Ithil

Eh, I wouldn't put Orton in that list. The crowd wanted it to happen, but as the Legend Killer. Not in love with Stacey pandering babyface Orton.

Orton was supposed to be The Guy, the top face, the face of the company, etc, around 2002-2004. Cena was never even in their minds for that until he got over doing his rapper gimmick, then they got behind him and pushed him, to great success.

Orton might be a very successful guy overall, but he has always been a disappointment to them. He was never the guy was was "supposed" to be.
In fact, for nearly every "top star" WWE had some other guy they originally picked that was the wrong choice. The last top star they wanted as the top star from the start was Hulk Hogan no less.

Hasney

This is the one that never happens. Not enough people willing to vote with their wallets.

Similarly, lots of people un-subscribing from the WWE Network, but I bet the majority will be back for Mania.

That actually leads me to a question for the thread:

If the Mania card is Lesnar/Reigns, Sting/HHH and Cena/Rusev in the main event spots with probably Bryan/Wyatt and possibly Dolph/Rollins on the kickoff show, do you resub? I know I wouldn't.

EDIT: Dolph and Ambrose will probably be in the battle royal thinking about it. So will Rollins if they're planning him to face Reigns after WM.

Suprised there was no Orton or Sheamus.

Annoys me when they waste chances for certain superstars to enter that the crowd would like to see and through pointless superstars into the Rumble Eg Titus Oneill, why? just why?

Any idea why
D-Von
wasn't there?
R-Truth didn't even say WASSSAAUPPPPPP

The booking of Bryan in the Rumble shows that they knew they had to "deal" with the possibility of the crowd turning against Reigns, it just backfired horribly. (Actually there was no real solution, besides making it absolutely clear Bryan would not be in the Rumble ahead of time.) They knew Reigns would get roasted if they teased Bryan winning by making him last until the end, or if he was a late entrant, or if Reigns eliminated him. So they kept them well away from each other and took Bryan out early, hoping the crowd would latch onto Reigns for the rest of the match.

It, uh, didn't work.

Edit: The other problem is that Reigns didn't fucking do anything. He should have come out earlier and had some kind of ring story during the Rumble.

Bizazedo

The "problem" is Brock is just so goddamned amazing, especially in person, and no one else comes close to the charisma / aura he has right now.

People loved Seth in the stadium last night, but they still wanted Brock to murder everyone.

Fox318

The booking of Bryan in the Rumble shows that they knew they had to "deal" with the possibility of the crowd turning against Reigns, it just backfired horribly. (Actually there was no real solution, besides making it absolutely clear Bryan would not be in the Rumble ahead of time.) They knew he would get roasted if they teased Bryan winning by making him last until the end, or if he was a late entrant, or if Reigns eliminated him. So they kept them well away from each other and took Bryan out early, hoping the crowd would latch onto Reigns for the rest of the match.

It, uh, didn't work.
When you are booking that hard against your fanbase something is wrong.

UberTag

I'm just trying to find the best scenario with Reigns winning since there was no other option that Vince was going to endorse.

I still think Reigns gets a lot of boos in my scenario but it at least makes for a more entertaining end that sets up a couple of guys for stories going into Mania. Instead, they had Show and Kane clear the ring.
Vince had three options that would have gotten Reigns over as a big deal at Mania.

1) Had Rollins cash in on Brock, had Ambrose win the Rumble, had Roman win a stip match at Fast Lane to get into the match to make it a triple threat with The Shield and then they could have had Reigns win the title at Mania in a match that Rollins and Ambrose could have carried.

2) Had Bryan win the Rumble. Have Reigns win a Shield triple threat for Seth's briefcase at Mania. Have Heyman double-cross Lesnar in the Bryan match, give Bryan the victory, cue a Reigns cash in orchestrated by Heyman to pin D.Brine and Reigns leaves as a heel champion with a mouthpiece.

3) Had Reigns beat Lesnar in an undercard match but not for the title (which Bryan would challenge for). Fans wouldn't necessarily crap over Reigns against Lesnar 'cause they're still getting what they want in the main event and they can do a bunch of power spots in the match to possibly sell Roman as a huge threat to the champion coming out of Mania. He still gets the honor of beating the guy who ended Taker's streak the previous year.

Except Vince got greedy. He wanted everything.
He wanted Reigns to get the title. To be his new Cena. To end Brock who ended the streak. To be Wrestler of the Year in 2014.
And he wanted him to do it as a face despite his extremely limited move set. And he wanted the fans to love Roman for it because he told them to do so.

This entire program. This entire company, in fact. It's nothing more than a rivalry right now between Vince's Ego vs. Those Millennial Ingrate Wrasslin' Fans.
How he loathes them and resents the fact that it's largely THEIR money that keeps the WWE relevant (instead of movies or Total Divas or anything else).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom