• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

The booking of Bryan in the Rumble shows that they knew they had to "deal" with the possibility of the crowd turning against Reigns, it just backfired horribly. (Actually there was no real solution, besides making it absolutely clear Bryan would not be in the Rumble ahead of time.) They knew Reigns would get roasted if they teased Bryan winning by making him last until the end, or if he was a late entrant, or if Reigns eliminated him. So they kept them well away from each other and took Bryan out early, hoping the crowd would latch onto Reigns for the rest of the match.

It, uh, didn't work.

Once again, they simply don't understand how over Bryan is. They make up excuses "It's the chant that's over!", or "It's just a smark city!" even though they should be delighted to have such a popular star on their hands in an era where they're lacking stars. But they're in their little bubble where they don't want "a popular guy" they want "OUR popular guy".

I mean, this shitty booking isn't intentional, that was their best. That was them trying honestly to get Reigns over as much as possible. Their best effort was total garbage.

Fox318

YPf9BPl.jpg

Hasney

Suprised there was no Orton or Sheamus.

Annoys me when they waste chances for certain superstars to enter that the crowd would like to see and through pointless superstars into the Rumble Eg Titus Oneill, why? just why?

Any idea why
D-Von
wasn't there?
R-Truth didn't even say WASSSAAUPPPPPP

They'd already met their quota of black people so R-Truth was a fine substitute in WWEs eyes.

Amory

What happened last night is always my issue with the Rumble as a match. Especially this day in age everyone basically knows who's going to win going in, or at the very least could pick the winner with 2 guesses. It makes the whole "30 superstars go in, only one will remain. who's it gonna be????" hype completely ridiculous.

i know they'll never do it but I wish they could disconnect this match from the main event at wrestlemania. just make it so the winner is guaranteed a match at wrestlemania but not necessarily for the title. that way you can use the match to push anyone you want and don't have to make him the champ-in-waiting if you don't want to. it'd give them some flexibility and make the rumble much less of a foregone conclusion

Ithil

When you are booking that hard against your fanbase something is wrong.

Pretty much.

That they had to try and consider all these "tricks" to get Reigns over should tell you straight off that Reigns is the wrong choice and the smart business decision is to pick someone you're sure will be accepted instead. But that's for normal, sane people.

Foffy

Banned
When you are booking that hard against your fanbase something is wrong.

WWE does this all of the time. They don't want talent that's organic, they simply want to push who they want and expect the audience to fully buy into it. The problem is, typically for WWE, they've had a very, very bad trend where their projections never matched with what fans wanted. You can really look at how John Cena turned out, as in any crowd with enthusiastic fans, they now start singing to his song about how much he sucks. They keep pushing him as the underdog when he literally has pushed down the careers of many up and comers than anyone else on the roster. Rusev is the next guy who looks like a powerhouse, a legit player in the company, who will lose almost all of his momentum to lolCenawins. Look at the Shield members; Romans is the least ready guy, yet he's the one the company things is the major player. So, they've tried feeding Rollins to Cena for many weeks (who's only really looked good now thanks to Lesnar) and Ambrose has lost matches due to himself. It's as if they're trying to protect the super strong guy even though the ones not being nearly as protected still look like bigger players. It's baffling to see.

Compare this to New Japan where a lot of the people they end up pushing have talent, and you can get with who's the champ and who's not a lot of the time. When AJ Styles joined the company and won the title in the first match there, it didn't come off as "force feeding" a talent down your throat, as you used a guy who's proven himself to be an incredibly talented performer, who only proved his worth with whatever the company gave him to work with. It's how someone like him, who's supposed to be a heel, gets active "let's go AJ chants" from an audience that rarely does that. The crowd can get behind the talent because it's organic, they can get with it because it clicks well with the quality of the product and what the fans dig. Get a guy who can do well with what he's given and let that climb him to the moon. Don't force feed and protect your characters and hope that you can push them, rather than allow them to climb of itself.

WWE somehow falls into a "here's what WE want and you BETTER like it" kind of thing, and that's a very poor way to promote a product: you play with the interests of people. It doesn't help that the company is losing money and as of last night, an apparent boatload of Network subscribers when they need that now more than ever. They're so disconnected in doing things organically, and really giving fans what they want. They do their own thing and hope fans enjoy the forced feeding. Last night was proof that will never work, because they accidentally turned their desired big guy into one of the biggest accidental heels in the company. Again.

Fox318

Pretty much.

That they had to try and consider all these "tricks" to get Reigns over should tell you straight off that Reigns is the wrong choice and the smart business decision is to pick someone you're sure will be accepted instead. But that's for normal, sane people.
It didn't have to be Reigns.

Ambrose would have been a great pick.

I knew Bryan's hopes were dashed during the championship match, too, the way Brock was booked to look like the Terminator. I certainly don't agree that Lesnar/Bryan isn't "believable" but there was no fucking way Vince was building up Final Boss Brock to put him against Bryan.

There's D. Bryant

There's those that's the WWE could have gotten away with pushing like: Ziggler, Ambrose, Wyatte, Rusev, and hell maybe even Ryback.

And there's always the agenda of the WWE: Batista and Reigns. After however long the Cena agenda has been on top I think the fanbase needs a couple of years to recover from the WWE agenda super stars.

Hasney

I think the thing that constantly amazes me is that they have Heyman, Dirty Dutch and Dusty on staff. I'm not saying make them head booker (because at least one of them would refuse to do it under Vince again) but at least ask their advice now and again.

Kacho

Had Ambrose won the Rumble would the crowd have booed him too or was Reigns just poison? The lack of surprise with the Royal Rumble winner really does hurt the event. When fans can call the winner months in advance there is a really big problem.

Maybe it's the fact that I took a long break from the main product (still watched NXT), but instead of getting mad and lashing out, I am interested to see where they go. I don't see them totally tossing out plans like last year, but I want to see what they do. They cannot continue down the same path with Regina now - even if they want to make him a star (and Champ) that cannot happen if he goes 3 months getting bad reactions. The payoff would be so flat

To appease fans they could have the likes of Ambrose, Ziggler and Bryan form a stable - the way they were treated last night gives them a good enough reason to form a stable. Probably not a great idea to stick Ambrose in a team again, but those three against an Authority team might be worth something.

Anyways, I will be watching WWE again more regularly up to the RAW after Mania at least. Mostly recorded though - although might try to watch live tonight. If it turns bad I am out again though - not struggling through months of subpar stuff. Have to be around for Mania though - even if it is bad.

I think the thing that constantly amazes me is that they have Heyman, Dirty Dutch and Dusty on staff. I'm not saying make them head booker (because at least one of them would refuse to do it under Vince again) but at least ask their advice now and again.

If it occurred to Vince to ask them for advice then he would never have booked it like this in the first place. You know what I mean? Anyone who valued, say, Heyman's opinion on booking would already know this was going to be a disaster.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No, she was fired after Roman Reigns put laxatives in the ice coffee she had been ordered to give to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, and then lost a "put your opponent in an inflatable swimming pool filled with poop" match to Stephanie.

I can hear Vince cackling to himself as he wrote that angle.

For people saying Reigns is in trouble having to promo against Heyman over the next few months, you're forgetting one thing: Heyman will be working with him on promos. This can only help him. I'll bet Heyman does all he can to help.

Ithil

Had Ambrose won the Rumble would the crowd have booed him too or was Reigns just poison? The lack of surprise with the Royal Rumble winner really does hurt the event. When fans can call the winner months in advance there is a really big problem.

They would have cheered him. Not just because he's Ambrose and they like him, but because he isn't Reigns.

Showaddy

The only way WWE can salvage the Roman Rumble and Reigns career is by turning him heel tonight.

But Reigns can't cut a promo or carry a match to save his life. Batista was shit in the ring last year but he got the crowd worked up with some good heel promos at least.

Turning him heel would just show him up even more.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Why even bother having half of the last 4 be former tag team partners if you're not going to do anything with it. I still would have been pissed but it seems logical to me that if you're booking Reigns on a run to the top you have him and his former partner be last in the ring and have Roman go over Ambrose. No one cares about Big Show or Kane. I really like Bray, but what is the point of booking him strong through 90% of the match to have him go out so uneventfully (like Ziggler, Ambrose, and Bryan)?

I'm definitely in the camp that feels Reigns needs a lot more work before being given the title, but this match was booked like shit oustide of Reigns winning.

Ambrose would have gotten cheered. Not to the same extent of Bryan of course.

Reigns is still pretty green, has terrible promos and feels like he's being force fed on everyone.

The most insulting thing of it all is having TWO of the final four being people with a 0% chance of winning. Whatever they planned, the final four should have been formed purely of the below:

Bryan
Reigns
Ambrose
Rusev
Ziggler
Wyatt

This was some next level ungodly bad booking here to an extent I can't rightly recall seeing before

Ithil

Bray running wild early only, throwing out loads, and even eliminating Bryan, only to end as a carcass being dropped out of the ring by Show and Kane, now that was absurd. Basically made his domination meaningless.

As much as I am a fan of Kane and Big Show (due to nostalgia) they both deff need to retire. They just don't mesh well with this roster and are old. Its weird seeing them fight guys who were in middle school during the Attitude era.

UberTag

Anyways, I will be watching WWE again more regularly up to the RAW after Mania at least. Mostly recorded though - although might try to watch live tonight. If it turns bad I am out again though - not struggling through months of subpar stuff. Have to be around for Mania though - even if it is bad.
No you don't. You are a fool. I laugh at you. HA HA HA!
KuGsj.gif

krae_man

Romans moveset doesn't work in a singles match. The boot on the outside and the superman punch are fine in multiman matches when someone else gets the guy in position. In singles matches though? Leaner taking a superman punch?

Hasney

Romans moveset doesn't work in a singles match. The boot on the outside and the superman punch are fine in multiman matches when someone else gets the guy in position. In singles matches though? Leaner taking a superman punch?

Superman punch OFF THE MIDDLE ROPE.

The superman punch is so stupid. It's like when you'd jump to catch a fly ball in little league for no reason.

It's a regular punch with quick camera zooms.

Hex

Banned

The set up Superman Punch is not the go to, it is when it comes out of nowhere that it works best.

Nameless

I'd planned on canceling the Network after Rumble anyway and getting it back for Mania. Outside of maybe one, hour long nostalgia trip a month, I just don't watch it, even skipping the PPVs most times.

WWE gave fans a quick and easy way to voice their displeasure and pretty much dared them to use it last night. In fact Bry's entire return has been a blatant slap in the face to fans, with the most over guy in a decade coming back after nearly a year on the shelf only to booked like a nondescript NXT call-up.

Bryan v Lesnar was the best possible WM main event they could have made last year, and it would be 10x as compelling now.

Hex

Banned
The superman punch is so stupid. It's like when you'd jump to catch a fly ball in little league for no reason.

It's a regular punch with quick camera zooms.

Umm hello, this is modern sports entertainment,

AA = fireman's carry.
Big Show with a knock out punch?
Many people use moves that used to be mid match moves now as finishers.

ElRenoRaven

Bray running wild early only, throwing out loads, and even eliminating Bryan, only to end as a carcass being dropped out of the ring by Show and Kane, now that was absurd. Basically made his domination meaningless.

Exactly. That's the shit that ruins the rumble. I'd have had Bray, Bryan, Ambrose, and Reigns final 4. Had them go at it like all hell and then Had either Bray or Ambrose win. Both of those 2 have proven they can promo, wrestle, and put on a good match. The final 4 being those 4 also makes all 4 look strong. Then you could continue working on building Reigns and then have Bryan upset he failed and then have the authority say well you lost so you have to start back at bottom. Then you build for a long while having Bryan work his way back up the ladder. Eventually down the road you end up with 3 new stars and a 100 percent Dbryan who has had plenty of time to prove that his neck and arm can stand up to the punishment again.

I finally figured out why the WWE is pretty much shit anymore.

1. They do not create interesting gimmicks. The few they've come up with are awful. When a star manages to make it passible or even work they eventually get fucked.

2. There are no real storylines anymore. It's always oh these guys are fighting in the ring.
Back in the days when WWE was good you had a real storyline. You had Stone Cold going at it with vince outside the ring. You had superstars feuding over stuff. Take Macho Man and Hogan back in the days. Macho had become a paranoid bastard who let some good fortune go to his head. Hence he thought Hogan was trying to steal Liz. Then he started treating her like shit and well Hogan had to stand up for her. It had a real story.

Now it's like oh he beat him so he wants payback this week. That's if you're lucky. Hell look at this New Day/ Kidd,Rose,Caesaro feud. Why are they feuding? What are they feuding over? Nobody knows. Then the feud is all one sided for New Day.

3. They refuse to let anyone break up into the top unless they are WWE created and someone Vince wants to push. There are guys on the roster which should be top stars but every damn time they start to get momentum creative screws them. Caesaro, Swagger, Bray, Ambrose, Mizdow, Ziggler. All these guys have managed to take some of the worst gimmicks given in the past and actually make them entertaining and fun and get them over. They can wrestle too. Yet where are they forever lingering low to midcard. It's insane.

Sadly this will never change until WWE has real competition again. I just don't see that happening for a long while either.

Umm hello, this is modern sports entertainment,

AA = fireman's carry.
Big Show with a knock out punch?
Many people use moves that used to be mid match moves now as finishers.

AA can at least be impressive visually depending on who's getting it.

Big Show's punch is also stupid.

Penguin

As a bit of an aside, did Reigns do anything in the Rumble match before winning?

I don't remember him having much of a presence this year.

shuri

Banned
I could not see the rumble to due family events, but thanks to this thread, I was able to follow it SOMEWHAT.

Some opinions:

1) I like Daniel Bryan a lot; he kinda represents the average man, he has charisma and the fact he lost this year is kinda lame. he seems very popular especially with his return, and the fact that he looks like the average guy on the street really gives him an underdog angle that people enjoy.

2) Roman Reign looks like a living COBRA action figure, while his fighting is alright, it seems like its missing something. I don't understand why management is pushing him so hard over Daniel. Last year, I ended up watching the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania with a bunch of friends, and every women were commenting on how incredibly HOT and attractive that man is. Like raw vulgar sex attractive. Seriously the things those girls were saying would make a gaffer blush. He has potential but maybe he needs a few tweaks.

3) That Miz and Mizdow thing is really corny as heck. Are they really going with the Johnny Cage angle for Miz? Then they should fully embrace it, and drop that mizdow body double thing. It was amusing ONE TIME, but its incredibly corny now. That guy must feel like shit everytime he has to jump on the ring to do that. Poor him. And what is with the WWE and Mortal Kombat? I remember last year when Triple H came out looking like Shao Khan, complete with the same outfit and a giant hammer, on a throne of skulls like the one in Mortal Kombat 2. Is it suposed to be his gimmick? I lapsed out of casually watching wrestling for a long time and when I returned, he was doing his boss gimmick hes doing now.

4) John Cena is this generation's Hulk Hogan and is a big hit with the kids who adore him and buy his stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe it's time for some sort of twist to him. Maybe have him turn into a bad guy? or rogue? I don't know.

5) the the rest of the roaster is really average. I gotta give a round to applaude to that Wyatt possessed hillbilly guy, he really worked that character super hard, but I feel like his time has come. They should have some crazy event where he "dies" and returns ressurecetd with a new outfit or something as a purified version of him, I dont know.

6) I'm really TIRED of the pseudo "business" drama. Every storyline is about how evil HHH and his girl is, and contracts bs and money and bla bla. Its like board room meetings where people hit each other while wearing spandex. I wish they returned to the concept of gangs or good guys vs bad guys that really hates each other, but enoughhhhh stuff about fighting management and whatsnot. It feel like this has been going on for 20 years.

musings about WWE RAW:

1) 3 hours shows are too much now. They don't have enough characters and material. I'm tired of those 20 minutes segments with wrestlers talking almost in slowmo about BORING stuff. They even look completely out of it. We dont need dudes telling each other how much they are going to crush each others next week or at the next even OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Last week's segment with Hogan, Flair and Shawn was hilarious and should be the kind of short skits and segment they should do more often. Also it showed how Shawn Micheals had so much comedic timing when he would do those random reaction shots. That kind of humor and almost 'zaniness' is missing from modern wrestling.

2) Some fights are wayyyy too long. Really. Just end it already! I dont need to have half a fight worth of two dudes laying on the floor, faking to be in total pain, everytime.

bill0527

As a bit of an aside, did Reigns do anything in the Rumble match before winning?

He hid in the corner with Rusev until the booked finish.

I feel bad for Reigns. I'm sure he's a great guy and living his dream, but the McMahon clan are about to sabotage his career. He'll be out of the business in three years.

Hex

Banned
I must be the only one who is actually a little tired of Bryan already and I feel bad saying it.
The whole "Yes yes yes" thing grates on me. I want him to just switch to wrecking people.

Kacho

No he laid down on the side for much of the match. At one point Ryback clotheslined Reigns which got a pop from the crowd. I have to wonder if the refs told him to lay low for much of the match to avoid getting booed more than he was.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What happened last night is always my issue with the Rumble as a match. Especially this day in age everyone basically knows who's going to win going in, or at the very least could pick the winner with 2 guesses. It makes the whole "30 superstars go in, only one will remain. who's it gonna be????" hype completely ridiculous.

i know they'll never do it but I wish they could disconnect this match from the main event at wrestlemania. just make it so the winner is guaranteed a match at wrestlemania but not necessarily for the title. that way you can use the match to push anyone you want and don't have to make him the champ-in-waiting if you don't want to. it'd give them some flexibility and make the rumble much less of a foregone conclusion

Agree with this. Match would be so more interesting if it was for something like a MITB contract instead of WM main event. Would make it realistic for more than a handful of guys to actually win the match.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I could not see the rumble to due family events, but thanks to this thread, I was able to follow it SOMEWHAT.

Some opinions:

1) I like Daniel Bryan a lot; he kinda represents the average man, he has charisma and the fact he lost this year is kinda lame. he seems very popular especially with his return, and the fact that he looks like the average guy on the street really gives him an underdog angle that people enjoy.

2) Roman Reign looks like a living COBRA action figure, while his fighting is alright, it seems like its missing something. I don't understand why management is pushing him so hard over Daniel. Last year, I ended up watching the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania with a bunch of friends, and every women were commenting on how incredibly HOT and attractive that man is. Like raw vulgar sex attractive. Seriously the things those girls were saying would make a gaffer blush. He has potential but maybe he needs a few tweaks.

3) That Miz and Mizdow thing is really corny as heck. Are they really going with the Johnny Cage angle for Miz? Then they should fully embrace it, and drop that mizdow body double thing. It was amusing ONE TIME, but its incredibly corny now. That guy must feel like shit everytime he has to jump on the ring to do that. Poor him. And what is with the WWE and Mortal Kombat? I remember last year when Triple H came out looking like Shao Khan, complete with the same outfit and a giant hammer, on a throne of skulls like the one in Mortal Kombat 2. Is it suposed to be his gimmick? I lapsed out of casually watching wrestling for a long time and when I returned, he was doing his boss gimmick hes doing now.

4) John Cena is this generation's Hulk Hogan and is a big hit with the kids who adore him and buy his stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe it's time for some sort of twist to him. Maybe have him turn into a bad guy? or rogue? I don't know.

5) the the rest of the roaster is really average. I gotta give a round to applaude to that Wyatt possessed hillbilly guy, he really worked that character super hard, but I feel like his time has come. They should have some crazy event where he "dies" and returns ressurecetd with a new outfit or something as a purified version of him, I dont know.

6) I'm really TIRED of the pseudo "business" drama. Every storyline is about how evil HHH and monhis girl is, and contracts bs and money and bla bla. Its like board room meetings where people hit each other while wearing spandex. I wish they returned to the concept of gangs or good guys vs bad guys that really hates each other, but enoughhhhh stuff about fighting management and whatsnot. It feel like this has been going on for 20 years.

1) Yeah. Some of his pops rival anyone in WWE history. Weird that the company won't embrace it.

2) He was protected as hell last year. Got him some pops, but then the armor came off.

3) man I think you're the only one who feels that way about Mizdow. He's awesome. He's gonna go over Miz soon I would imagine. It's a great gimmick regardless.

4) I give up on this ever happening. It should have been Bray to do this. Would have helped them both.

5) Wyatt was one of the best parts of last night. He somehow came off as fresh even if his character has been stale lately. I hope they change him up a bit too.

6) I still love the authority.

No you don't. You are a fool. I laugh at you. HA HA HA!
KuGsj.gif

I will though.

Whenever my WWE Network Subscription ran out in 2014 (there still was a 6 month thing then), I canceled and stop watching everything (except NXT that aired on Sky Sports), and have only seen a few YouTube clips of WWE since. I think it was July I stopped, not sure. I have not posted in the WrassleGAF threads in ages either - and I was always in them since this forum launched in 2004.

So, I did no WWE for 5 - 6 months after watching almost nonstop for 15 years. After actively avoiding RAW for a few weeks (knowing it was on but not watching), I soon forgot it was even airing, and did not care I was missing weekly stuff. Even hearing news / seeing gifs of a few good things, I was happy to avoid the whole as I was guessing 90% was bad, and I was just seeing those small good bits.

I will still watch WWE every year Rumble to Mania. I won't stop that, and I hope they put on good show for what should be the best time of the year for them. But coming from someone that used to watch weekly RAW, Smackdown, Jagged, Velocity, Heat, Metal, and God knows what else it is a big downstep

Stoping ain't to hard, and with no Network obligation this time will make it easier. Of course, I won't quit if it is good, and the fact I am not tainted by 6 months of hate has me optimistic it might be (even after tonight).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Vince had three options that would have gotten Reigns over as a big deal at Mania.

3) Had Reigns beat Lesnar in an undercard match but not for the title (which Bryan would challenge for). Fans wouldn't necessarily crap over Reigns against Lesnar 'cause they're still getting what they want in the main event and they can do a bunch of power spots in the match to possibly sell Roman as a huge threat to the champion coming out of Mania. He still gets the honor of beating the guy who ended Taker's streak the previous year.

This is where I thought it was going after they booked the triple threat. Could have had Lesnar drop the belt to Rollins without actually getting pinned thus keeping his "unbeatable" gimmick going. Reigns still gets a Wrestlemania moment for beating Brock, Seth is firmly established as their #1 heel and Bryan gets the long title reign fans are dying for. Everyone could have won in this scenario.

I must be the only one who is actually a little tired of Bryan already and I feel bad saying it.
The whole "Yes yes yes" thing grates on me. I want him to just switch to wrecking people.

I don't think the WWE realizes that they can get the crowd off of Bryan's dick if they just give him the title for a couple of months.

I am totally checked out on the guy. Anytime he does some backstage interview (like the pre-rumble video package) and he asks himself a question where the answer is "yes", i immediately feel embarassed for the guy. Bouncing up and down yelling yes to no one. As an entrance it still works, for the most part, but on his own he looks like a total geek fanboy.

I wouldnt have wanted him to win over Reigns. But..I dont have a substitute main eventer that makes sense for either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom