• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

See to me, it's not even about Bryan should have been the one who won.

I see a ton of potential in Reigns, but he isn't there yet. They've hid him in tag matches and on the mic for ages... and maybe he'll surprise us, but I really think cutting the legs off one of their future stars because they need him to be ready.

jmdajr

I see a ton of potential in Reigns, but he isn't there yet. They've hid him in tag matches and on the mic for ages... and maybe he'll surprise us, but I really think cutting the legs off one of their future stars because they need him to be ready.

They should have waited one more year.

ABC News ‏@ABC 37s38 seconds ago
JUST IN: Connecticut Gov. Malloy: Travel ban to be issued for entire state at 9 p.m. ET Monday ahead of snowstorm - @AaronKatersky

Oh yeah..Raw is in Hartford Connecticut tonight....

Paracelsus

The only potential Reigns has is as heel, kinda like when Edge was turned because as rebellious babyface he got booed all the time. The thing is Edge spent over a year after he turned feuding in very heated personal stuff, before even attacking Cena.

Also, by that point, Cena was already getting stale to the fans, so they were glad there was a new heel to piss on him. The same Cena who got over also because he got against JBL, one of the worst WWE champions of all time a la ADR. Much like Batista got over as he went against Hunter "somebody please stop him before I drink a whole bottle of bleach" Hearst Helmsley.

Why would anybody want Reigns to defeat the big bad Barack Lesnar? The heat he got from beating Undertaker was squashed by Heyman the night after WM30. Right now hqe's as over as most upper midcard babyfaces, he's pretty much a tweener.

The problem with WWE is that they never, ever consider the reasons for a feud. It's hardly ever personal. Ambrose is the guy who for months went after the guy who stabbed them in the back, and he's midcard for life.

Roman Reigns is this years Batista.

Not even close, like really.

Batista had a better dragon to slay, way better reasons to do it, let alone reasons to do it period.

EDIT: Oh, you mean because of the reaction? Any guy who wasn't Bryan-Ziggler-Ambrose would get smashed like he did.

Ithil

They should have waited one more year.

They should have waited until he's ready. No time limit. They're trying to push him and hoping he'll get ready some other time, and that's stupid. Cart before the horse, they're pushing the "idea" of Reigns before Reigns actually is that.

And who says he ever will be? Just because he has potential doesn't mean he'll realise it, plenty haven't.

this is amazing,hope it keeps up.

I'm sure Vince will blame it on stoopid internet fans and then turn around and be all HASHTAG THIS AND TMZ MENTIONED US AND HASHTAG THAT.

Kacho

Gold Member
They should have waited until he's ready. No time limit. They're trying to push him and hoping he'll get ready some other time, and that's stupid. Cart before the horse, they're pushing the "idea" of Reigns before Reigns actually is that.

And who says he ever will be? Just because he has potential doesn't mean he'll realise it, plenty haven't.

Well said.

Uzzy

Roman Reigns is this years Batista.

Batista winning the Royal Rumble last year was bs for sure, but it led into a fantastic main event at WM, where Batista tapped out to Daniel Bryan. Clearly, creative and/or Batista realised that they had to change, and actually went for it.

I don't think we'll see something like that happen with Reigns.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still in awe as to how much they muted the crowd.

I'm not. This is the same company that had to pump crowd noise in for Lesnar's first two months after he debuted because he wasn't over, and the same company that muted Bryan's crowd chants on Smackdown. They don't care.

Penguin

I'm not. This is the same company that had to pump crowd noise in for Lesnar's first two months after he debuted because he wasn't over, and the same company that muted Bryan's crowd chants on Smackdown. They don't care.

I think they'll be forced to care sooner or later

Think only so long investors will stick around with soft Network numbers, and while I doubt the #CancelWWENetwork folks will be a major portion of that, I do think a lack of strong growth even after UK launch will scare off a lot of money

It's not just one of their future stars, they cut the legs off of Bryan, Ziggler, and Ambrose at least by how they had them eliminated. You could even argue Cesaro and possibly Wyatt, even though they went as far as to build him as unstoppable before sending him out with a whimper.

And for what? To elevate a stale Authority angle along with Kane - who has portrayed a corporate suckup - and Big Show - who has cried more on TV in the past year than the entire Kardashian family combined?

It's unreal that the same crew that booked that tremendous title match (one of the best I've seen in years, IMO) booked that horrifying awful and predictable Rumble.

Trojan X

Banned
Man. I'm re-watching the John Cena, Brock Lesnar and Seth Rollins fight... damn it's so DAMN good! Best fight I've seen from WWE for a long time since CM Punk fought against Brock Lesnar in Summerslam.

Reave

For me, the frustrating part wasn't when certain guys got eliminated, but how. That whole Kane/Big Show thing with calmly dropping people over the top rope was terribly anti-climatic and insulting as a viewer.

Another thing that bugged me was Titus O'neil. Why? And why that far into the rumble? My only guess is that perhaps that spot was supposed to be for a bigger name (Orton?), but plans got changed for some reason. But still, my goodness.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's not just one of their future stars, they cut the legs off of Bryan, Ziggler, and Ambrose at least by how they had them eliminated. You could even argue Cesaro and possibly Wyatt, even though they went as far as to build him as unstoppable before sending him out with a whimper.

And for what? To elevate a stale Authority angle along with Kane - who has portrayed a corporate suckup - and Big Show - who has cried more on TV in the past year than the entire Kardashian family combined?

It's unreal that the same crew that booked that tremendous title match (one of the best I've seen in years, IMO) booked that horrifying awful and predictable Rumble.

Yeah feeding everyone to Show - Kane was the worst part of the whole ordeal last night. Its 2015. 2015.

Fox318

They had him job to Cena because they thought he would leave.

See here's my issue with all of this. I'm not a big fan of Daniel Bryan- solid worker for sure but his shtick is kinda getting repetitive.

It's more this whole Authority BS- why am I still watching Kane and Big Show in 2015? I still dont get the Authority endgame. They are simply one of the dumbest angles I've seen since I restarted watching wrestling in 2010.

Paracelsus

See here's my issue with all of this. I'm not a big fan of Daniel Bryan- solid worker for sure but his shtick is kinda getting repetitive.

It's more this whole Authority BS- why am I still watching Kane and Big Show in 2015? I still dont get the Authority endgame. They are simply one of the dumbest angles I've seen since I restarted watching wrestling in 2010.

It doesn't matter what me or you think of Bryan.

The thing is, someone has to remove both Vince and Dunn from management, like silently retire them.

The big problem is that the Authority doesn't have an endgame. It's a knee jerk reaction by the company because moving younger guys to the main event hasn't produced the 7.0+ cable ratings they had in the Attitude Era. The problem is everyone there forgot that they had to build to a 7 from the 2.0 they had when they were getting clobbered by WCW and the NWO angle.

The big problem is that the Authority doesn't have an endgame. It's a knee jerk reaction by the company because moving younger guys to the main event hasn't produced the 7.0+ cable ratings they had in the Attitude Era. The problem is everyone there forgot that they had to build to a 7 from the 2.0 they had when they were getting clobbered by WCW and the NWO angle.

Wrestling will probably never draw 7.0 ratings ever again no matter how well they book it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Rumble match was the worst of all time. Kane and Big Show were in the final four in 2015. Really!? They were both in the final four in 2000 and it was awesome. It made sense in 2000, but that was 15 years ago. Can you imagine if the 2005 Rumble featured Earthquake or Akeem in the Final Four? Kane had about as good of a chance of winning in 2015 as Big John Studd in 2005. (And, yes, I am perfectly aware that Studd had already died by that point.)

This is a sign of how stagnant the product is. In fairness, WWE only left the giants in for so long because they knew the fans would shit on Roman if he was left with Daniel Bryan... or Dolph Ziggler... or Mizdow... or Ambrose... It wasn't so much that these guys didn't win; It's the fact that they really did nothing of consequence in the match. WWE went out of their way to make sure that none of the faces did anything important. This completely sucked the life out of the crowd and the match. And the worst part is that it was all for naught. At the end of the day, the fans actually sided with Russian Ludvig Borga over Roman.

Last year, they overestimated Batista's appeal, but they KNEW the fans were going to hate this Rumble. If you plans require the Rock to come out in an effort to silence the boos, the you should probably rethink your plans.

They also made this absolute beast of a monster heel they have in Rusev pull the cowardly weak weasel heel move of hiding under the ring after going through the ropes ala Jerry Lawler. That's exactly the opposite of how Rusev should be booked. He should have been throwing people over left and right.

WWE went out of their way to make sure no one did anything to stand out during the rumble match, so that reigns wouldn't be overshadowed. But it's that crowd interaction, that feedback loop between the fans, the wrestlers, and the fans that makes wrestling special - if you deliberately water down the wrestling to remove the feedback loop, take the fans out of the product, and make the wrestlers hold back on their performances to the detriment of themselves, their characters, and others, for the sake of your vision for booking, you may as well no longer be in the wrestling business - just write serials instead.

I thought that people liked Roman Reigns. Like 6 months, a year ago, it sounded like WrassleGaf was saying how Reigns was a stud and a star in the making, etc. Then I see the negative reaction to the rumble last night and assume that some has been won it over a guy like Reigns, and instead, it's Reigns... and people are mad?

I honestly only follow today's product through Wrasslegaf, but I didn't think people hated him... like they do, say, Cena.

Ithil

I thought that people liked Roman Reigns. Like 6 months, a year ago, it sounded like WrassleGaf was saying how Reigns was a stud and a star in the making, etc. Then I see the negative reaction to the rumble last night and assume that some has been won it over a guy like Reigns, and instead, it's Reigns... and people are mad?

I honestly only follow today's product through Wrasslegaf, but I didn't think people hated him... like they do, say, Cena.

I've never liked Reigns. I've never bought into their superman booking right from day one of the Shield. He was always the action figure being protected by actually entertaining guys to me.

But the general opinion of him mostly changed over the course of this year, when he went solo and started being the focal point of all the shows despite mostly shitting the bed as a performer.

People dont want reigns shoved down there throats like cena was for the past 10 years thats what people hate. reigns is not ready yet.

GaimeGuy

He has the most work to do out of any of their potential "stars in the making," and he's no longer acting like Roman Reigns, but John Cena 2.0

In the Shield, Roman Reigns was a man of few words, blunt, awkward, but could back up what he was saying with explosiveness in the ring. Now he's saying "sufferin succotash" in promos. Literally.

If a guy begins to get popular, don't change him into generic babyface, let him do what he was already doing! The talent, the push, the stardom will come naturally.

The difference is that when Reigns was in The Shield his flaws were mitigated by the abilities of Rollins & Ambrose, but on his own he's...well, on his own, and the material he's being given has only served to highlight how he isn't ready to be the top guy, yet they're so stubbornly set on him becoming the top guy. It's the classic "they'll learn to like it" mentality of the WWE.

hamchan

Since he got injured and started speaking more, it turned out he is a joke at promo work and that helped to remove the badass aura he at least had before. Also fans don't like to see people being pushed like this before they deserve it. People want to like Roman Reigns but he needs way more time in the oven. The most over people at the rumble like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and Ziggler getting chucked out like they were trash was also a bad sight.

TBH I would have been fine with Reigns winning if it ended with him vs Ambrose in an epic duel between brothers or something like that. Instead Ambrose got chucked out like garbage by Big Show and Kane, and then the two heels turned on each other allowing Reigns to just tip them out. There was no badass moment for Roman there. Actually, it seemed like he didn't do anything noteworthy the whole rumble.

GaimeGuy

Vince had three options that would have gotten Reigns over as a big deal at Mania.

1) Had Rollins cash in on Brock, had Ambrose win the Rumble, had Roman win a stip match at Fast Lane to get into the match to make it a triple threat with The Shield and then they could have had Reigns win the title at Mania in a match that Rollins and Ambrose could have carried.

2) Had Bryan win the Rumble. Have Reigns win a Shield triple threat for Seth's briefcase at Mania. Have Heyman double-cross Lesnar in the Bryan match, give Bryan the victory, cue a Reigns cash in orchestrated by Heyman to pin D.Brine and Reigns leaves as a heel champion with a mouthpiece.

3) Had Reigns beat Lesnar in an undercard match but not for the title (which Bryan would challenge for). Fans wouldn't necessarily crap over Reigns against Lesnar 'cause they're still getting what they want in the main event and they can do a bunch of power spots in the match to possibly sell Roman as a huge threat to the champion coming out of Mania. He still gets the honor of beating the guy who ended Taker's streak the previous year.

Except Vince got greedy. He wanted everything.
He wanted Reigns to get the title. To be his new Cena. To end Brock who ended the streak. To be Wrestler of the Year in 2014.
And he wanted him to do it as a face despite his extremely limited move set. And he wanted the fans to love Roman for it because he told them to do so.

This entire program. This entire company, in fact. It's nothing more than a rivalry right now between Vince's Ego vs. Those Millennial Ingrate Wrasslin' Fans.
How he loathes them and resents the fact that it's largely THEIR money that keeps the WWE relevant (instead of movies or Total Divas or anything else).

Also note the last 3 men reigns eliminated: Kane, Big Show, Rusev. All monster heel archetypes. He's throwing EVERYONE at reigns. There comes a point where suspension of disbelief is no longer plausible - when you're suddenly nerfing everyone for the sake of elevating one person, it comes off as artificial (because it is)

Entropia

No One Remembers
As soon as Kane and Big Show started dumping everyone out me and my buddies in the room knew exactly what was going to happen. Roman was going to do his feat of strength and eliminate them both at the same time.

The way that it all happened was just so forced. The crowd was dead to begin with and then you have the two big guys just dumping the guys the crowd wanted to win one-by-one was just horrible.

They can still kinda fix it.

Brock shows up with broken bandaged ribs. Someone beats him up (some heel with Heyman, Undertaker? I dunno) Rollins cashes in.

Bryan demands a spot. Authority puts up impossible odds. Bryan wins due to Sting.

WM card:
Bryan vs Reigns vs Rollins
Sting vs HHH
Brock vs attacker

Not that bad?

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
As soon as Kane and Big Show started dumping everyone out me and my buddies in the room knew exactly what was going to happen. Roman was going to do his feat of strength and eliminate them both at the same time.

The way that it all happened was just so forced. The crowd was dead to begin with and then you have the two big guys just dumping the guys the crowd wanted to win one-by-one was just horrible.

As soon as there was only Big Show, Kane, and Reigns in the ring the crowd lost it because it was blatantly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom