• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

A screen-pad with sticks and triggers with a detachable pointer maybe (that's much smaller in size than a Remote).

It could almost be the couch variant of Keyboard and mouse controls.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Where's Gakman? We need to see his scribbles, he called the Wiimote iirc. I think he has been pitcing a console/portable hybrid for a while now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
IGN has updated their Wii 2 article with a confirmation of streaming and the screen being 6 Inches.

Ummmm... Six inches is bigger then DSXL..... WTF is going on?

antonz

Amir0x said:
Actually we did exactly this for the NGP prior to its show. We started getting similar "EVERYTHING AND THE KITCHEN SINK" info right as it was leading up and had a big topic

Amusingly, everything there turned out to be basically true. So if this is all true gonna be fucking a curiosity to say the least

Funny thing is I think they have to go crazy on the controller while keeping it Hardcore gamer enough if they intend to just go the HD route.

They must have their hook though I wonder if this is the route to go for it.

thefro

MiDNiGHTS said:
I'm having a hard time understanding how a controller could have all this stuff.

They'll be fine on space/weight... imagine a 3DS without the top screen and plus an analog stick.

Amir0x

Banned
cuevas said:
The "best" thing to aim with though? Still a mouse.

Keyboard+Mouse is the ultimate tier. Everybody knows this :D

SkiesofWonder said:
IGN has updated their Wii 2 article with a confirmation of streaming and the screen being 6 Inches.

Truly this thing is an abomination to hold

apana

gofreak said:
Honestly, why is that a 'breaking point' piece of info?

That's the most obvious thing ever if it has a screen on the controller.

The screen size is much larger than I imagined if it can stream games onto it. How will it be better than Move motion controls, dual analog, large touch screen, and most of the regular buttons in one controller?

Vinci

Danish
Chittagong said:
Where's Gakman? We need to see his scribbles, he called the Wiimote iirc. I think he has been pitcing a console/portable hybrid for a while now.

He has, and if these details are in any way true it's coming closer to what he had in mind.

Skiesofwonder said:

It's not the next home console its the... 3DS XL

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Skiesofwonder said:

That would seem to corroborate the 01net info then.

And then yeah, it basically will be a tablet-esque thing. Which sounds very weird, particularly from a motion control POV. How will you one-hand wield this for motion control? Edge says it does have (improved) motion control.

Unless there's a 'breakapart' wiimote part to it, attached to the screen or something.

Amir0x

Banned
apana said:
The screen size is much larger than I imagined if it can stream games onto it. How will it be better than Move motion controls, dual analog, large touch screen, and most of the regular buttons in one controller?

IGN says it's six inches

this is some crazy shit at this point

offshore

Tron 2.0 said:
It's weird to me that all of these websites dropped Wii-successor info at the same time. It feels like a coordinated leak.

It just seems strange that, with Nintendo's notorious secrecy, we are hearing so much about this new system. Specifically the controller.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it all.
Probably because once someone sees another person has started leaking info, others just all pile in.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
Honestly, why is that a 'breaking point' piece of info?

That's the most obvious thing ever if it has a screen on the controller.

Because it makes no sense.

Wireless streaming isn't foolproof, and then there's the problems of lag. Also even the benefits are questionable, you'd still have to go to the console to change games and are encroaching on the 3DS territory.

All the screen in controller rumours sound off-base to me, unless it's just a small information screen. It makes no sense to have a big screen making the controllers complex, expensive, fragile and have a poor battery life. It's about as un-Nintendo as you get.

Tobor

Tron 2.0 said:
It's weird to me that all of these websites dropped Wii-successor info at the same time. It feels like a coordinated leak.

It just seems strange that, with Nintendo's notorious secrecy, we are hearing so much about this new system. Specifically the controller.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it all.

I'm guessing everybody had tidbits of info, but were holding back. Once one site decided to run it, the flood gates opened.

Orayn

The tablet idea is just surreal. A 6" screen capable of streaming games would easily push the price of a single controller up to $100.

Vinci

Danish
Skiesofwonder said:

Um.... the Swiss Army Knife of controllers...

apana

Did IGN kidnap Miyamoto? They better have a good source, if this shit turns out to be false the entire gaming press is gonna have a lot of egg on their face.

Game-Biz

Skiesofwonder said:

Ok......the o1.net french site or whatever was/is DEAD fucking on.

Hmmmm.

Shiggy

Some ideas:

001259204_0001_1.jpg
001259204_0001_2.jpg
000614581_0002_1.jpg
000614581_0003_1.jpg

000483631_0007_1.jpg
000483631_0006_1.jpg
000483631_0008_1.jpg

Vagabundo

charlequin said:
I understand what you're trying to say. You're just wrong about it.

I don't think there's any fundamental holy war for the future of control here or anything. But your statement is factually inaccurate. If you made a controller that was a Wiimote (with no nunchuk attachment) with a touchscreen bolted on and you tried to play Super Mario Galaxy with it, it would fucking suck. That's so obvious I shouldn't even have to point it out.

A 360-style pad is not a bad design; it's actually an extremely elegant and refined tool for gaming control that's stood the test of fifteen years of time with largely ergonomic improvements specifically because it's so good at its job. FPS/TPS control is borked on consoles only from the requirement that every game use the same control scheme (even in genres that suit said control less well), not from the controller or the use of two analog sticks being poor in the first place.

I don;t think anyone is suggesting that we get right of the single analogue control. The problem here is the second stick.

I've seen new people try the wiimote/nunchuck and a dual analogue controls. They get proficient with the wiimote/chuck quicker than with the dual analogue system; far quicker, maybe an order of magnitude quicker.

As you say the DS has been around a long time and game design has evolved around it, but I think it is a dead end; needlessly imprecise and complicated.

I really doubt that Nintendo are going back to DS as the standard control scheme.

Vinci

Danish
Opus Angelorum said:
Even ignoring the technical requirements, this is just bizarre.

I swear, I remember a Nintendo rep describing their next console as exactly that - 'bizarre.' Frankly, at this point, I think Nintendo is just trying to fuck over everyone - Apple included - with one system.

McHuj

I'll buy the ability to stream Wiiware type stuff or even virtual console, but it won't been the full Wii2 games.

Amir0x

Banned
god a tablet controller would be the most uncomfortable controller of all time

this is just some bullshit. there's no way all this divergent info converges into something that is comfortable and not a giant leap back

this sounds like we're just missing info that's critical in discerning some obvious attachment/detachment functionality or nintendo just decided to put whatever would most capture the eyes of the wider public (literally as in: hey that controller HAS A GIANT screen!), gaming/control functionality/quality be damned.

KAL2006

Banned
New theory for the controller
The controller is basically a standard controller (dual analogs, triggers, dpad and etc), except the 4 face buttons are similar to GameCube

The controller will have a 6" screen on it, basically it would be as big as NGP due to the screen of course it will be comfortable so it will be the standard boomerang shape as well so you can rest your hands.

You can detach the left side of the controller which can be used as a standard Nunchuck with your WiiMote.

The 6" screen on the controller will be used for Vitality Sensor reading (monitor your heart rate) and it can also be used for other things like an inventory or extra touch pad and etc.

Another thing the 6" screen can do is stream your game on to the controller itself (remote play) so you can play your Wii 2 games anywhere around the house without the need of a TV.

Wii 2 will come with this new controller and a standard Motion+ WiiMote.

Orayn

EmmanuelMunoz said:
ruler.gif

It can't be 6 inches
I just can't wrap my head around this thing any more. Even a low-res 6" resistive touch screen would make controllers prohibitively expensive.
which1spink said:
What kind of storage do you guys think they could use? DVD, SD-like flashcards, or DD only (a la appstore)?
We've had some strong hints that it's Blu-Ray.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
Because it makes no sense.

Wireless streaming isn't foolproof, and then there's the problems of lag.

Remote play on PS3/PSP over wifi works pretty well, or so I'm told.

It would be quite handy for families where the TV is busy to be able to stream to a another screen. Yes, for disc games you have to switch at the machine etc. but still...

NewFresh

Amir0x said:

this is just some bullshit. there's no way all this divergent info converges into something that is comfortable and not a giant leap back

this sounds like we're just missing info that's critical in discerning some obvious attachment/detachment functionality or nintendo just decided to put whatever would most capture the eyes of the wider public, gaming/control functionality/quality be damned.

It is multiple rumors getting thrown around into a snowball of a system

lilltias

Whatever, if they just launch it with a Super Mario Galaxy HD remake 1080p 60, they can have all of my monies. And I would love them long time.

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:

this sounds like we're just missing info that's critical in discerning some obvious attachment/detachment functionality or nintendo just decided to put whatever would most capture the eyes of the wider public, gaming/control functionality/quality be damned.

Nintendo has always made comfortable controllers. I doubt this will be an exception, though it IS odd as hell sounding.

Vagabundo said:
What does the second analogue stick bring to 2D shooters/platforms (except for twinstick shooters obviously)?

There are quite a few games that meld twinstick shooting control with platformer-style character movement, like Comic Jumper or the upcoming Fallen Frontier.

I've never missed DS controls on the PC or on the Wii.

A M+KB setup can often substitute for the whole of a gamepad setup effectively in a way that pointing or touch cannot, though even then there are titles that would preferentially be played using a gamepad even on PC, like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I think the Wii would be more crippled by its absence if it had any meaningful quantity of multiplatform games and therefore had to cope with specific games that controlled well using two sticks elsewhere.

sphinx

the piano man
Ign and all other rumor bringers, what the hell are they gonna do when nintendo realizes this is an abomination and scrap half of the rumored features?

this starts to sound like a HUGE pile of bullshit.

Whatever the controller turns out to be, Nintendo needs to ditch that wired bullshit that was the remote/nunchuk connection. It was awkward as hell.

Amir0x said:
IGN says it's six inches

this is some crazy shit at this point

That's what she said.

Sorry, always wanted to say that.

Seriously though, I have a hard time believing all this information is coming about the controller. Everyone racked their brains out over the Revolution and we didn't even come close to guessing what it was. I just can't believe this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom