• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

Hmm what if the second analog stick is used as a replacement for pointer controls when it's being streamed to the controller?

antonz

pirata said:
Everyone who's expecting some sort of gigantice blow-out at E3 this year needs to reign in their expectations. It sounds like people are just now getting dev kits (hence the sudden deluge of leaks), so they probably won't show much off. Hell, we may be hearing more now than they're going to say at E3.
Well the latest word is dev kits were gotten by EA,Ubisoft and Activision months ago. It would certainly confirm their desire to hit the west hard this time.

The thing is people are suddenly far more willing to talk once one person has because then its harder to trace who opened their mouth

Game-Biz

Am I imagining things or didn't Iwata admit, somewhat recently, that the difference in power between Wii and the 360 and PS3 was an issue that Nintendo recognized and was going to fix as it releases new consoles in the future so thirdpartys will develop more software for them?

Or did I dream this last night in my sleep while Iwata, in his mansion built by pikmin, laughs in a hottub full of naked women, booze and money?

Negator

You know what I would fucking LOVE?

Wii2 + 3DS virtual console and DS/Wii ware connectivity. I would love to take Megaman 10 with me on my 3DS, or play Shantae on my HDTV.

Amir0x

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Hmm what if the second analog stick is used as a replacement for pointer controls when it's being streamed to the controller?

well it could be that TOO but if you have dual analogs in general you might as well utilize such a superior standard

*swoon* Zelda with good camera control again *swoon* Okami ports that are functional

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
yo if they named it Nintendo Dolphin i would so lol

Nintendo Natal

Troll 'em Ninty. TROLL EM

New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television.

Going to end up a fairly large controller it seems, if it's meant to also include dual analog + shoulders/triggers + face buttons.

WillyFive

PounchEnvy said:

That would be really bad. An analog stick can't replicate a pointer with any degree of fairness. It will all be in slow motion, or incredibly inaccurate.

Interesting - so you can pump the game to the controller in your hands and play it like a (ultra-powerful) handheld?

Selfishly, that would suit me sooooo much. It's just not always possible to play a game on the TV when I want to, so being able to veg on the couch while my wife watches the telly and play F-Zero NEXT (for example) on the controller itself would be fantastic.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
Nintendo Natal

Troll 'em Ninty. TROLL EM

Going to end up a fairly large controller it seems, if it's meant to also include dual analog + shoulders/triggers + face buttons.

seriously this controller sounds like the most uncomfortable thing on Earth. I can't wait to see exactly how they're lego-ing this shit up

I doubt it will even have "Wii" in its name. It will be a whole different name.

And Super Wii sounds atrocious, good grief I thought you guys had better taste than that.

Discomurf

vfkv2f.jpg

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
seriously this controller sounds like the most uncomfortable thing on Earth. I can't wait to see exactly how they're lego-ing this shit up

The Dreamcast controller worked but that was a tiny ass screen and one analog stick.

I'm intrigued by what this thing will look like.

bidaum

Amir0x said:
eh. extremely limited applications there. If I'm in my house and I have the option I'm playing on my TV. Only in the shitter I guess would be the exception.
...that might throw off the vitality sensor though

Door2Dawn

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly

Hmm. I'm imagining people also using 3DSs as controllers.
How the hell is this even going to work. My puny brain can not even begin to comprehend this.

Instro

Amir0x said:

A controller made out of legos would be pretty badass.

poppabk said:
Why almost certainly? Of the 3 consoles this generation one had complete backwards compatibility, one had pretty much complete backwards compatibility but then they removed it completely and one had incomplete backwards compatibility.
Why do people think that backwards compatibility will be different for downloadable games versus disk games - is the 720 almost certain to have full backwards compatibility for 360 disk games? Keeping your downloaded titles will be less about which consoles have accounts, and more to do with which consoles remain on the same hardware fork.

You're right, I was being too hasty in my estimation of Sony and Microsoft's next consoles. But seeing as Nintendo's next console is supposedly backwards compatible, I'd say expecting downloadable content to transfer over is reasonable. Especially given that it is with the 3DS.

Amir0x said:
Because the dual analog is the superior, more comfortable and flexible control standard for most genres. It could be replicated in some format. It would just be replicated inferior.

I'm not taking step backs for gimmicks.

I see where you are coming from but I disagree. The things I've listed are done just as good if not better with a touch screen, motion, or pointer. Aiming is better with a pointer, quick moves can be replicated via motion (the tech should be there now). I do agree that developers would have to figure out camera movement but I can imagine them twisting the controller or controlling the touch screen to move the camera.

Though I would imagine Nintendo would just pack in a separate classic controller for the system and be done with it.

Also no, dual analog is actually inferior for most genres. It only wins with third person action games ala God of War and possibly sports..

Developers for shooters, fighting games, RPG's, RTS, racing, and the like just had to adapt.

Zeliard said:

I think it should be fairly obvious that Nintendo should just pack in Wii Remote 2.0 and Classic Controller 3.0 in the box.

It's a win-win.

Oh, and if the rumour about streaming games to the controller itself is correct, does that not bring us one step closer to an integrated handheld/home console? Obviously the controller won't have any real hardware to play games without the base unit, but it's edging closer...

Donnie

brain_stew said:
Again R700 is the codename of a single GPU part (the 4870x2), it has never been used to refer to a family of products. If rumours say that it uses an R700 chip, then rumours say it uses a 4870x2 not a 4670, not a 4870 or anything else, they say it uses a GPU that is an order of magnitude more powerful than Xenos. If there's any other GPU being used, then the rumours are false, that codename doesn't givee any real room for variation.

So if you believe those rumours are legit, then it only follows that you believe this system is a graphical powerhouse.

Of course but we would also have to assume that whoever leaked the info and or the person it was leaked to knows that R700 refers to a very specific GPU, there is the potential for confusion there. I hope its a 4870 x2 in the device kits, but even a 4870 would be well ahead of Denis.,

Orayn

The controller with a screen has GOT to be optional. It would just drive prices up way too much to include a large screen on every controller.

justchris

JackEtc said:
This system sounds like a giant clusterfuck of features to be honest.

The only thing that this system will be doing is forcing a new console cycle, which doesn't need to happen yet.

The system doesn't sound like anything since we mostly know nothing concrete at this point. It's all vague comments and speculation.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
The Dreamcast controller worked but that was a tiny ass screen and one analog stick.

I'm intrigued by what this thing will look like.

eh, i'd say it's arguable that it 'worked.' I mean, let me rephrase, it worked in that it played games with it. I did not think it was a comfortable controller whatsoever.

New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television.
lol this getting pretty funny. But this actually seems pretty plausible. Ultimately pointless if the screen is tiny but still cool.

Vagabundo

Cosmonaut X said:
Oh, and if the rumour about streaming games to the controller itself is correct, does that not bring us one step closer to an integrated handheld/home console? Obviously the controller won't have any real hardware to play games without the base unit, but it's edging closer...

The Thirteenth Floor!!!!! SCREAM.. I knew I recognized it.

evangd007

Game-Biz said:
Am I imagining things or didn't Iwata admit, somewhat recently, that the difference in power between Wii and the 360 and PS3 was an issue that Nintendo recognized and was going to fix as it releases new consoles in the future so thirdpartys will develop more software for them?

Or did I dream this last night in my sleep while Iwata, in his mansion built by pikmin, laughs in a hottub full of naked women, booze and money?

He said that in his GDC keynote, the same one where he talked about how awesome western third parties were.

jett said:
The "Wii2" is sounding pretty ridiculous. I wonder how many of these rumors will actually be true when it's revealed.

Pretty much every rumor we heard about the NGP turned out to be true!

Vagabundo said:
Just because you've managed to flagellate yourself with dual analogue doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer before the abomination.

Dual analog control is just shy of an abomination for shooter games (which can indeed be improved via pointing control) but it's exceptionally, irreplaceably useful for 2D shooting games (both "twinstick shooters" and side-scrolling platform-shooter games), 3D action games, and a variety of other genres. Getting rid of the second analog stick is an insipid idea.

JCRedeems said:
What does Metroid creator Sakamoto have to say about the next Wii?

At this point, the best thing Sakamoto could say about the Wii's successor is "I will not develop for it."

Flying_Phoenix said:
I mean nearly anything needed from a second analog stick (aiming, camera movement, quick reflexes), can be easily replicated. I kind of see that similar to how NGP lacks an L2, R2, and L3, R3.

It's not similar at all. A control can only be "replicated" by another control that provides a superset of its functionality. Touchscreens don't provide a superset of button functionality, so they can't replace the full set of buttons on a controller, but they can replace a "button" that you only use rarely to trigger unusual functions like L3/R3 meaning you lose no real functionality replacing those specific buttons. Pointing control, on the other hand, does very different things from an analog stick and can't cleanly replace it (if you think it could, imagine playing Mario Galaxy with no analog stick at all, just the pointer somehow magically "replacing" the analog stick.)

likeGdid

Oh yes, the best time before the impending launch of a console: the insane mock-ups people will make:

derp2.jpg

In all seriousness, though:

I've always thought that the "split-controller" part of the wiimote+nunchuck was the best way to go about it, in terms of comfort.

They just have to stick two analog sticks on two remotes, and BAM! wireless, split controller, and comfortable, with room for a pointer (also one of the good things about the wiimote that should be kept)

Not sure about the touchscreens though. I'm pretty sure that would be a good way to have low battery life, which I'm sure is important to controllers.

Amir0x

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Also no, dual analog is actually inferior for most genres. It only wins with third person action games ala God of War and possibly sports..

Ridiculous. And all developers know it. And so does Nintendo, since they're bringing it back. Thank God.

Good wins out over evil once more. A new day dawns. Gaming is saved from game haters and their absurd ideals once more.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So wouldn't that solve the problem of split screen that Nintendo has been trying to fix? As in you could download the game to all the seperate controllers and play on your own screen for say.... a FPS or RTS. Man I hate when people peak on my fricken screen.

:O Splinter Cell local mulitplayer would be awesome for this!

But WTF does this mean for motion control?

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
eh, i'd say it's arguable that it 'worked.' I mean, let me rephrase, it worked in that it played games with it. I did not think it was a comfortable controller whatsoever.
the cable came out from the bottom! UGH.

birdchili said:
are there any wii games that have good third-person camera control mapped to the pointer?

i agree that moving the right thumb to the stick for camera stinks... but my experience with wii cameras wouldn't bring the word "superior" to mind at all...
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands does this, and it works far better than using a second joystick. Who would've thought that Ubisoft would be at the forefront of innovating and improving basic gameplay mechanics :lol

watershed

Banned
sphinx said:
fuck, is this for real? All these people and their rumors, they gotta be kdding at this point.

Yeah I don't believe that IGN guy, how expensive would the controller be? How could anybody afford to play local multiplayer games with that thing? Not to mention the size issue and conflicting reports on what the controller actually contains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom