• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
If this is true Nintendo won't be first to the next generation, they'll just be extremely, embarrassingly late to this gen. Plus they can forget "recapturing the hardcore" and getting equal ports.

AniHawk

AbsoluteZero said:
The Wii's my favorite console this generation. I'm sad to see it being replaced to quickly comparatively to the competition.
late 2012 is six years. it's been a long generation, but six years is longer than it takes for most systems to be replaced.

Xun said:
It's more likely to be a 6cm screen instead of a 6" screen.

6" for a controller screen makes no sense.
Why, 6 inches on a controller makes perfect sense, it's only this big:

95ZkW.jpg

lolololol

KAL2006

Banned
So lets do a overview

Similar architecture to 360 but more powerful, not a generation ahead though just slightly more powerful. This means it can get those multiplatform games and will likely gets the best looking versions of the multiplatform games.

Traditional controller (dual analogs, buttons etc) with a 6" screen, screen will be used for streaming games without need for a TV, screen can has touch and maybe used for other things like inventory and etc. It can also be used for multiplayer gaming meaning no more splitscreen, it can be used for things like sending messages, viewing frieindslist while you playing a game (don't need to go to home menu to do this stuff).

Backwards compatible with WiiMote controller and all it's peripherals, most likely comes with a WiiMote+ as well

Backwards compatible with Wii and GameCube games, maybe the old GameCube and Wii games upscale to 1080p.

A big surprise that is yet to be rumored (my guess it has Vitality Sensor and/or camera)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Baki said:
Ok - so 6" screen? Doesn't that mean the controller will be massive. I must say - I am quite intrigued by this direction. Its definitely very unique - and I would love to see where they go with this.

This is almost seems like its positioned against the iPad/NGP? Streaming HD games to a pad like device?!

Also 512MB ram is very disappointing - 1GB would have been far more pleasing. Actually if they had made it slightly more high end - the WII2 could be the lead SKU (with PC) with the PS3, 360 being the down ports.

You won't get game streaming without lag, and at HD resolutions there will be a lot of it.

Streaming films and TV works because you can buffer, you can't do that with games. It all sounds like complete bollocks, from a screen on the controller, to the size of it, to the streaming.

Poyunch

civilstrife said:
I think the buttons will be cut into the screen itself. Basically, the entire surface of the controller will be a contoured screen, with buttons and sticks cut directly into it.

There was an early "DS2" mockup with this effect. I'd love to find it again, if knows where it might be...
That's what I imagined and it did not look appealing.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
GCX said:
We can't be sure what kind of features Wii2 will have because every rumor seems to be contradicting each other.

But what we do know is that the new console is indeed coming and far in development. With this many sources it can't be a fake rumor anymore. This rumor chaos always happens before new console's announcement.
The point is that when Matt C. was with IGN this type of thing didn't happen. They're currently posting garbage, anything and everything they hear in the wind to get more people to go to their site. That's how you lose your credibility. Matt could be trusted, now I take what I hear from IGN with a huge grain of salt.

Davey Cakes

artwalknoon said:
If this is true Nintendo won't be first to the next generation, they'll just be extremely, embarrassingly late to this gen. Plus they can forget "recapturing the hardcore" and getting equal ports.
Why even talk about it in terms of generations? And why is it embarrassing? It's not like Nintendo is actively trying to stay within some arbitrary generational boundary that people set. Considering their direction with Wii and DS I'd say that they're relatively independent, even though their releases somewhat coincide with the other companies. I mean, with Wii, Nintendo challenged the industry's perceptions of console gaming which basically spurred the genesis of the term "new gen" as an alternative to "next gen."

People get too caught up in the progression of generations from "next to next to next," honestly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
You won't get game streaming without lag, and at HD resolutions there will be a lot of it.

Streaming films and TV works because you can buffer, you can't do that with games. It all sounds like complete bollocks, from a screen on the controller, to the size of it, to the streaming.

I don't know how good it is, but people seem to say that remote play on local wifi is quite usable with PSP/PS3.

And Nintendo MAY use a proprietary wireless protocol that is much better than wifi for this application. What's the state of the art here?

Man

Maybe it's using those transparent Oled screens from Samsung and being a enhanced nunchuck with a remote as usual.

engineertool.jpg

If you put the transparent screen between yourself and the TV you will see a X-ray vision of the TV content.

gofreak said:
GameInformer said they got conflicting reports on power. Everything from less powerful to more powerful.

Maybe different devs have different perspectives on it. I mean, if the CPU is similar but GPU is some ways better, some might consider that 'similar' or 'a notch better'. Some might consider that more substantially better if it's - say - twice as powerful on the GPU side, while some might consider that a smaller deal.

In other words, we may be hearing varying opinions based on the same underlying facts...
Yes, but if the reports are basically "we're not exactly sure if it's more or less powerful", you can assume it's just current-gen like hardware and not a significant jump in power regardless. Like the Wii.

Despera

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Maybe, last time I heard IGN was the most visited but last time I heard was a while ago. Either way, they are big as hell.
Oh shit, it's second now.

My bad, IGN is on top like you said.

the potential!! hud-less games! have my inventory and stats show on the controller, and be able to drag the items out of the controller's screen to be able to use it! :p

For anyone questing the functionality of a controller screen, look no further than what the VMU did with the Dreamcast. Resident Evil 2 displayed your health and ammo count, which was perfect. No need to go to the menu to check your ammo or if you need to use a herb. It was practical and only took a moment's glance.

In all seriousness, all ridiculous speculation aside (if that's even possible), lets look at this seriously. 6 inch screen flat out makes no sense. That is GIANT. Simply impossible for it to be on a controller that also has dual analogs with triggers and whatnot.

But what if the new console will come with a 6 inch screen that can somehow attach to the controller? That way it isn't super ridiculous unless you're using the so called streaming feature.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is fun. Even with all these leaks, I'm going to disregard most of the power/processing speculation for now. Lots of possibilities for misinformation on that end.

Very interested in how they present at E3. If its really late 2012, I can't imagine it will be a 3DS 2010, but who knows.

As long as it isn't something super traditional like the 360/ps3 controller, I'll be fine. We don't need a rehash of the same thing yet again. The option is nice(like classic controller support), but give me something new. The last thing I want is a traditional gaming system with "even better graphics". The screen controller is nice, and streaming sounds godly if handled right, but as far as playing on an actual television, I don't want to be doing the same things that I'm doing this generation.

That's just me personally though, and that seems to be the minority's point of view around here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
gofreak said:
More from 01net, now with more direct developer quotes.

http://www.01net.com/editorial/531680/project-cafe-ce-qui-reste-a-eclaircir-a-propos-de-la-wii-2/

Google Translate:

They also call out neogaf specifically on misinterpreting the sensor bar comment - they say there's IR transmitters/beacons (or something) in the controller, but they won't necessarily serve the same purpose as the sensor bar, but they just were likening them to the IR bits in the sensor bar. They don't know their role in Project Cafe.
This is pretty interesting.

J-Rzez

Flying_Phoenix said:
What exactly can dual analog do that can't be covered by motion controls, pointer, or touch controls?

Character and camera movement specifically. I have played more than my fair share of these games, and none of them do this right. Character movement is alleviated by an analog stick on the secondary unit (doh, analog stick!), but moving a camera with bounding boxes absolutely-positively sucks. Of course, this is imho.

All I want from next gen are super precise, competition grade controllers. And, for others, mandatory option on all games for kb/m. These two are superior more oft than not than wands and cameras, and only niche games designed around these controls have any value at times, and they're far-far too few between. And this will get carried over into next gen.

NEO0MJ

Rash said:
It's not like Nintendo is actively trying to stay within that arbitrary boundary that people set.

It should, and from recent interviews with the guys at the big N it seems they understood how important it is for their console to keep up with the competition tech wise. Wouldn't make sense for them to release something barley stronger that the 360. Not when it;s successor is one year away. Even two years away would be a problem.

ASIS

indigodomino said:
the potential!! hud-less games! have my inventory and stats show on the controller, and be able to drag the items out of the controller's screen to be able to use it! :p
So basically a DS?

cuevas said:
3rd person action games, fighting games.

Analog sticks for fighting games?

Anyway, I'm not talking about analog sticks for traditional control schemes, but more so adding two analogs to the Wii + Nunchuck scheme.

J-Rzez said:
Character and camera movement specifically. I have played more than my fair share of these games, and none of them do this right. Character movement is alleviated by an analog stick on the secondary unit (doh, analog stick!), but moving a camera with bounding boxes absolutely-positively sucks. Of course, this is imho.

All I want from next gen are super precise, competition grade controllers. And, for others, mandatory option on all games for kb/m. These two are superior more oft than not than wands and cameras, and only niche games designed around these controls have any value at times, and they're far-far too few between. And this will get carried over into next gen.

I think third person with free control camera movement is the biggest problem. Can't they just track camera movement via nunchuck though?

Davey Cakes

disappeared said:
For anyone questing the functionality of a controller screen, look no further than what the VMU did with the Dreamcast. Resident Evil 2 displayed your health and ammo count, which was perfect. No need to go to the menu to check your ammo or if you need to use a herb. It was practical and only took a moment's glance.
Also, think about it in terms of the games that used GBA connectivity on Gamecube. Could end up being a similar concept.

Souldriver said:
Yes, but if the reports are basically "we're not exactly sure if it's more or less powerful", you can assume it's just current-gen like hardware and not a significant jump in power regardless. Like the Wii.

I think it'll be stronger than the 360/PS3 easily, but won't be as powerful as the PS4/720 (depending on how MS and Sony handle next gen).
However, again, this won't put Nintendo into nearly the same predicament the Wii was in for two reasons.
1. They'll have a bigger userbase at the time that the other two come out. The Wii came out well after the 360 was established.
2. It'll be much easier to downport games from the PS4/720 to the N6 than it was PS3/360 to Wii, since it lacked basically anything that could make it graphically competitive.

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
I don't know how good it is, but people seem to say that remote play on local wifi is quite usable with PSP/PS3.

And Nintendo MAY use a proprietary wireless protocol that is much better than wifi for this application. What's the state of the art here?

No it is kind of shit actually, what I am guessing is Nintendo may have their own wireless technology that is better than PSP-PS3 remote play. I also doubt the screen will stream in HD, basically the game will downscale when streaming onto the screen (a small screen doesn't need high res like 1080p ), PS3 downscales when streamed on PSP.

Despera

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
It should, and from recent interviews with the guys at the big N it seems they understood how important it is for their console to keep up with the competition tech wise. Wouldn't make sense for them to release something barley stronger that the 360.
All they need is tech that's slightly better than what's available today, and most importantly, a new "game-changing" gimmick!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dual analog sticks + touch screen = could be awesome if done right.

Waiting for word on if I can transfer my WiiWare/Virtual Console purchases to the new doohickey.

Medalion

Banned
So it is starting to sound like this whole Hd screen controller does exist on this new console... Gotta say if this is true, it makes the 3ds sound like a waste of time in a way

AniHawk

so a system that has a controller that lets you stream games to it also it's a touch screen controller also it's six inches also it's similar to the competition... tells me that they aren't going to make the system too powerful. sounds like a lot of work being put into the controller itself. doesn't really make sense for nintendo to stay behind a full generation again when it was the biggest source of their problems this gen.

either the controller stuff is bullshit, or the power stuff is bullshit.

indigodomino said:

or you can just wait the 2 seconds it takes to bring up an inventory like it does now and use all your items.

I don't get people's fascination with gimmicks, especially when they detract from the experience or make things harder/take longer than normal.

J-Rzez said:

How would KB/M benefit anything that isn't an FPS or RTS? As far as traditional gaming goes, that is.

GCX

I'm pretty interested to see how well Nintendo adapts to HD development and how good the first wave games will look.

I mean, they've been making games with GameCube architecture for a DECADE now.

-MB-

How would it only be a notch above 360 in power if it has an R700 family gpu.
Thats at least 2 generations newer than the x1600 derivative in the xbox 360.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
so a system that has a controller that lets you stream games to it also it's a touch screen controller also it's six inches also it's similar to the competition... tells me that they aren't going to make the system too powerful. sounds like a lot of work being put into the controller itself. doesn't really make sense for nintendo to stay behind a full generation again when it was the biggest source of their problems this gen.

right. My bet is on the former, but with Nintendo you never know.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:

PS3/PSP has some lag, and also has the advantage of having to send a much lower-resolution picture to the PSP. If these rumours are to be believed, the Super Wii would be firing over full HD to a 6" screen. It's just not do-able without a load of lag. You can't buffer like HD video content.

There's something along the lines of wireless HMDI in the works, but only over short distances I believe. Literally to get rid of cables with the TV, nothing more.

Haint

Mini tablet controller makes sense as ipad competitor for minigames, browser games, and other os features. They are going even more casual than wii potentally with a streaming computer and tablet hybrid. Might be brilliant but not for core audience.

Nintendo would be limiting texture resolution to what current HD consoles can do. Sony/MS will most certaintly launch with 2GB of total memory making 16k textures a lock. It should have been atleast a gig, given devs 8k textures at 1080p.

AniHawk said:

It's probably going to end up a little give-and-take. Some of this controller business might be embellished somewhat, but in terms of power, there is no way it won't be able to start receiving equal treatment in regards to multiplatform releases. They just can't repeat that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom