• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
Read another forum that it is only 'on par, maybe a notch above the 360'...

WTF?

That can't possibly be true, Nintendo can't be that stupid right?

(EDIT)
And yes, I know what the thread title says...but there's conflicting rumors about various things.

Also, is this the first Twitter-age console release? Twitter has changed sports transactions forever, so it'll be interesting to see the rumors on this...

Tobor

Medalion said:
So it is starting to sound like this whole Hd screen controller does exist on this new console... Gotta say if this is true, it makes the 3ds sound like a waste of time in a way
If you only play 3DS games in the house, maybe.

I think some of the rumors we were hearing about "DS2" before 3DS was revealed actually referred to the controller for this device.

High res screen from edge to edge
buttons cut into the screen itself

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
No it is kind of shit actually, what I am guessing is Nintendo may have their own wireless technology that is better than PSP-PS3 remote play. I also doubt the screen will stream in HD, basically the game will downscale when streaming onto the screen (a small screen doesn't need high res like 1080p ), PS3 downscales when streamed on PSP.

FWIW, 01net says the screen indeed isn't actually HD. More 'SD'.

They also make a point of saying they don't know much about the wireless connection.

watershed

Banned
Rash said:
Why even talk about it in terms of generations? And why is it embarrassing? It's not like Nintendo is actively trying to stay within some arbitrary generational boundary that people set. Considering their direction with Wii and DS I'd say that they're relatively independent, even though their releases somewhat coincide with the other companies. I mean, with Wii, Nintendo challenged the industry's perceptions of console gaming which basically spurred the genesis of the term "new gen" as an alternative to "next gen."

People get too caught up in the progression of generations from "next to next to next," honestly.

I'm not sure what you mean about Nintendo being independent because of their release schedule.

Maybe talking in terms of generations is wrong. But if this new console is intended to "recapture the hardcore" or attract AAA 3rd party games then they have to play by the rules of the business. I'm personally not a graphics-centric gamer. I love my ds, 3ds and wii. But there are 3rd party games that will never come to those systems because of the comparatively limited processing power they offer. This new console may be "a notch" better than the 360 which is fine for a year but what happens when the next round of consoles come out? Isn't it very possible that this new system won't be able to match their tech and thus be too far behind for AAA 3rd party games once again?

Futureman

In one Iwata Asks when talking about the 3D tech that's in the Gamecube, they said they ended up not doing anything with the 3D because you don't supply the screen with a home console.

They also talked about how higher resolution let's you do better 3D. Interesting that the screen is rumored to be HD...

Instro

oatmeal said:
Read another forum that it is only 'on par, maybe a notch above the 360'...

WTF?

That can't possibly be true, Nintendo can't be that stupid right?

Theres reports ranging from slightly above current gen consoles to significantly more powerful. Really no way to know for sure right now.

Zeliard

justchris said:
Yeah, it probably would not work for streaming entire games, although if you turn it on it's side, you could pull off that resolution by not using part of the screen.

Yeah but that would seem to defeat the purpose of having a screen of that length for display, if it's essentially always going to be cut off that drastically.

There's just no getting by it. If it's actually a 6" screen (which must again be stressed is goddamn huge to be on a controller), and they want to display the streaming stuff (and whatever other media) at a workable aspect ratio, the screen will have to have some decent height to it held horizontally, not just length. And that's going to mean a fairly large controller sitting in your hands.

None of the rumors seem to have mentioned some sort of flipcase or slider mechanic so I assume the screen sits on top of the controller and is visible at all times, which would also make sense if they're trying to put game info on it or use the touchscreen to "enhance" gameplay.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, this is going places.

Could be incredibly interesting, or this could all be serious misdirection where Nintendo leaks a "fake movie script" out to the public, and then turns around and says "Surprise! It's nothing like that!"

I'm somewhat concerned with battery life of the controller. Needing to charge it every six hours or some bullshit like that would be frustrating.

Baki

DECK'ARD said:
You won't get game streaming without lag, and at HD resolutions there will be a lot of it.

Streaming films and TV works because you can buffer, you can't do that with games. It all sounds like complete bollocks, from a screen on the controller, to the size of it, to the streaming.

That's true. They could be using a proprietary wireless technology to make the lag bearable though.

At any rate - I'm interested in what Nintendo will have to show for E3. This may accelerate PS4/720 market plans.

Whatever the case - online infrastructure will make or break this thing.

apana

Zeliard said:
Yeah but that would seem to defeat the purpose of having a screen of that length for display, if it's essentially always going to be cut off that drastically.

There's just no getting by it. If it's actually a 6" screen (which must again be stressed is goddamn huge to be on a controller if that's accurate), and they want to display the streaming stuff (and whatever other media) at a workable aspect ratio, the screen will have to have some height to it held horizontally, not just length. And that's going to mean a fairly large controller sitting in your hands.

None of the rumors seem to have mentioned some sort of flipcase or slider mechanic so I assume the screen sits on top of the controller and is visible at all times, which would also make sense if they're trying to put game info on it or use the touchscreen to "enhance" gameplay.

It will have to be a full screen on one side and remote with analog/buttons on the other. Here is a picture of a touch screen remote:

kameleon-4-in-1-touch-screen-remote-control.jpg

dankir said:
If the controller can stream full game content, then the controller is a portable. I'm sure there are detachable nunchucks / wii mote pointer from it.

This is all sounded very fucking cool though!

With the Gamecube they had a sort of portable console..

Now we have portable controllers!?!

I dunno...

I give up....

Futureman said:
In one Iwata Asks when talking about the 3D tech that's in the Gamecube, they said they ended up not doing anything with the 3D because you don't supply the screen with a home console.

They also talked about how higher resolution let's you do better 3D. Interesting that the screen is rumored to be HD...
I hope its 3D. That shit is awesome as hell on the 3DS for some games. Wonder who would be making the screens though. Sharp doesn't make any in that size, so would they just be manufacturing it themselves?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Futureman said:

This would be incredibly stupid. How is it different from a handheld? This is what I don't understand. A screen on a controller is a fucking portable gaming device.

antonz

AniHawk said:
so a system that has a controller that lets you stream games to it also it's a touch screen controller also it's six inches also it's similar to the competition... tells me that they aren't going to make the system too powerful. sounds like a lot of work being put into the controller itself. doesn't really make sense for nintendo to stay behind a full generation again when it was the biggest source of their problems this gen.

either the controller stuff is bullshit, or the power stuff is bullshit.
Unless Nintendo went with a circa 2005 CPU again theres no way they are only marginally better. CPU have progressed quite rapidly since then. We know AMD has a Gaming console CPU being developed for a console launching in 2012.

Unless Sony or Microsoft suddenly whip out a big surprise it has to be for Nintendo which means the Triple Core PowerPC the french are saying is wrong. Early Dev kits though could potentially not have all the bells and whistles as final ones

Neiteio

Speaking of Iwata Asks, I can picture one in the future where they say something to the effect of, "With GCN-to-GBA connectivity, you had to have three separate items, sold separately, to play along, so the concepts never took off, but now we've got all that connectivity right out of the box, and we can finally do what we've wanted to do all along." Sort of like the 3D on Virtual Boy, now done right on 3DS.

Nlroh

This "near ps3/360 level" doesn't seem very good for Nintendo. I'm sure since this wii2 leaks Sony and Microsoft are rushing everything for their next gen consoles.

I think the screen will be for streaming smaller downloadable games.
Maybe they'll be able to play some 3DSware games, which is why the shop isn't out yet, since that would ruin the surprise.

Nlroh said:
This "near ps3/360 level" doesn't seem very good for Nintendo. I'm sure since this wii2 leaks Sony and Microsoft are rushing everything for their next gen consoles.

If they were going to rush something out, it would be horrible expensive.
They're stuck for another year or two at least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at the people freaking out about how the 6 inch screen would make the controllers unusable. How in the world are you going to play the NGP?

NEO0MJ

Futureman said:

Maybe the controller is a strange clam shell design?

AceBandage said:
I think it'll be stronger than the 360/PS3 easily, but won't be as powerful as the PS4/720 (depending on how MS and Sony handle next gen).
However, again, this won't put Nintendo into nearly the same predicament the Wii was in for two reasons.
1. They'll have a bigger userbase at the time that the other two come out. The Wii came out well after the 360 was established.
2. It'll be much easier to downport games from the PS4/720 to the N6 than it was PS3/360 to Wii, since it lacked basically anything that could make it graphically competitive.
Disagree with both of your statements.

1) The Wii might've released later on than the 360, but it skyrocketed above the 360s total userbase in no time. So there really wasn't any (dis)advantage in that regard. And the reason why the Wii did gangbusters was because of the new and exciting control scheme. I doubt Nintendo can count on that to propel sales a second time. First off, the competitors have "wacky" control schemes as well so the novelty and innovation factor have largely died off. And second, many people consider their hands burned by the Wii, its lack of power and wasted controller potential. So chances are big that Wii2 won't be a phenomena from the outset like the Wii was.

2) I know jackshit from computer hardware, so perhaps there will be something about the architecture of the Wii2 that makes ports and downgrades from next-gen (PS4/720) easier. But if that's not the case, there's no reason why next gen would be different than this gen like you say. Once Sony and MS release their console, the third parties will invest all their resources in those and before you know it, they'll get graphical performance out of them that the Wii2 in no way can replicate because it's already outdated again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
disappeared said:
I'm somewhat concerned with battery life of the controller. Needing to charge it every six hours or some bullshit like that would be frustrating.

One thing's for sure - they can probably put a ha-uge battery in this. And I doubt the controller has any processing guts itself, it's probably dependent on the console, so I wouldn't be too worried about battery life in that case.

AniHawk

antonz said:
Unless Nintendo went with a circa 2005 CPU again theres no way they are only marginally better. CPU have progressed quite rapidly since then. We know AMD has a Gaming console CPU being developed for a console launching in 2012.

Unless Sony or Microsoft suddenly whip out a big surprise it has to be for Nintendo which means the Triple Core PowerPC the french are saying is wrong

i kinda expect microsoft to launch their new system next year.

that or apple's gone completely insane.

...or i guess nintendo could have gone with them too. i know nothing about tech, but i thought they liked ati.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The only way I could envision this is if the the main controller is a 6 inch touchscreen by itself and the dual analog/buttons are connected to it with a connector ala the Classic Controller with the wiimote now. The touchscreen bit can probably do some motion control stuff plus funky wii sensor stuff too.

KAL2006

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I'm not sure what you mean about Nintendo being independent because of their release schedule.

Maybe talking in terms of generations is wrong. But if this new console is intended to "recapture the hardcore" or attract AAA 3rd party games then they have to play by the rules of the business. I'm personally not a graphics-centric gamer. I love my ds, 3ds and wii. But there are 3rd party games that will never come to those systems because of the comparatively limited processing power they offer. This new console may be "a notch" better than the 360 which is fine for a year but what happens when the next round of consoles come out? Isn't it very possible that this new system won't be able to match their tech and thus be too far behind for AAA 3rd party games once again?

I don't think the Wii situation will happen again, it will definitely be considerably weaker than PS4/720, something like how PS2 was to Xbox, or how DC was to PS2. Basically Wii 2 will be weaker than the competition, but developers will be just be able to manage to port games on it form the more powerful PS4/720. The advantage Nintendo has with this though is they can release it just next year for a competitive price and no competition near so it will be the most powerful for a while.

antonz

AniHawk said:
i kinda expect microsoft to launch their new system next year.

that or apple's gone completely insane.

...or i guess nintendo could have gone with them too. i know nothing about tech, but i thought they liked ati.
AMD bought ATI so they would still be working with their friends.

AniHawk

antonz said:
AMD bought ATI so they would still be working with their friends.
oh. okay, then i guess that makes sense. didn't ati have to build a 'new' ...thing... for the wii though? even though it was ancient as far as what it would allow.

Nlroh said:
No. They will show off their consoles E3 2012.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Souldriver said:

1) The Wii might've released later on than the 360, but it skyrocketed above the 360s total userbase in no time. So there really wasn't any (dis)advantage in that regard. And the reason why the Wii did gangbusters was because of the new and exciting control scheme. I doubt Nintendo can count on that to propel sales a second time. First off, the competitors have "wacky" control schemes as well so the novelty and innovation factor have largely died off. And second, many people consider their hands burned by the Wii, its lack of power and wasted controller potential. So chances are big that Wii2 won't be a phenomena from the outset like the Wii was.

I disagree with this. I think the screen and ability to play around the house, if true, would be huge.

watershed

Banned
Ya know the fact that the french site took the time to respond to GAF makes me question its legitimacy, but now that IGN have jumped on board with the same info... Is this all some elaborate ruse? A pre-E3 fake out? We go in expecting some 360+ with a mini tv and they pull out something waaay different?

atbigelow

-MB- said:
How would it only be a notch above 360 in power if it has an R700 family gpu.
Thats at least 2 generations newer than the x1600 derivative in the xbox 360.
I was going to post this same thing. Somehow an R700 is the same in power as an R500 with a few upgrades???

Taker666

disappeared said:

They may well do a 3DS and include a cradle to place the controller in overnight.

The base console itself might have a charging plate on top where you store the screen/controller when not in use. It would make sense considering the likely battery drain.

Souldriver said:

2) I know jackshit from computer hardware, so perhaps there will be something about the architecture of the Wii2 that makes ports and downgrades from next-gen (PS4/720) easier. But if that's not the case, there's no reason why next gen would be different than this gen like you say. Once Sony and MS release their console, the third parties will invest all their resources in those and before you know it, they'll get graphical performance out of them that the Wii2 in no way can replicate because it's already outdated again.

For 1: The N6 coming out early and getting a userbase will means developers will want to get in on those sales, unlike with the Wii, where they could just use both the 360 and PS3 to basically equal the same amount.
For 2: The Wii wasn't capable of basically anything the 360/PS3 was. This won't be the case with the N6. It'll be able to do all the effects and stuff that the big boys can, just with sacrifices to some geometry and physics.

Anth0ny

A notch above 360 is incredibly stupid. Incredibly stupid.

And this fucking 6 inch screen business... I can't stop laughing. This is gonna be weird.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Not sure what the point of a touch screen, I don't want anything that takes my eyes off the screen.

Just above 360 level graphics is fine with me.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
disappeared said:

Doesn't bother me. No way I can play games for 6 hours straight.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
FWIW, 01net says the screen indeed isn't actually HD. More 'SD'.

They also make a point of saying they don't know much about the wireless connection.

Why have a 6" screen then if you don't have a resolution that takes advantage of it? And even SD resolution would be massively more data to send over than the PSP's resolution which equals far more lag.

None of this adds up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
I don't think the Wii situation will happen again, it will definitely be considerably weaker than PS4/720, something like how PS2 was to Xbox, or how DC was to PS2. Basically Wii 2 will be weaker than the competition, but developers will be just be able to manage to port games on it form the more powerful PS4/720. The advantage Nintendo has with this though is they can release it just next year for a competitive price and no competition near so it will be the most powerful for a while.

If the 01net info is correct, the CPU could be problematic if the 'gamespace scope' or complexity goes up markedly next gen. Like if GTA on next-gen systems needs more CPU side power than that...it could be having a problem if it's stuck with a class of processing more PS3/360-ish.

It all depends on how development goes, what developers need and want more power for with their next-gen of systems. If they don't need much more CPU Nintendo could stay in porting range with that rumoured spec...just cut back on graphics and keep the rest fairly similar. But if MS/Sony offer a good deal more scope for 'the rest', and devs want it and make use of it, things might not work out so well.

Plinko said:
LOL at the people freaking out about how the 6 inch screen would make the controllers unusable. How in the world are you going to play the NGP?

Why is everyone assuming the controls will be on the sides of the screen? I would have thought it more likely that it will be on top of a normal controller(put your phone on top of a 360 pad/DS3/CCPro to see what I mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom