• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

The power roller coaster continues. Now Wii 2 HD is back to being a notch above xbox 360. Tomorrow it will be back to destroying the PS3 I'm just going to wait for Nintendo to deliver the final info.

Please don't only be a notch above!

Souldriver said:
2) How are you so sure that "next time around next-gen will be more similar to current gen than this time". Is there some technical reason i don't know: like say the architecture of console hardware hasn't fundamentally changed since the 360/PS3, and next gen will use similar guts. Because if that's not the case, there's no reason to doubt that if the Wii2 is basically a 360, that the xbox 720 and PS4 will be such a big leap forward again that developing for both generations becomes a hassle.

Because consoles will be behind PCs, in which there hasn't been a HUGE leap in graphics. It's mostly been in physics and geometry. Both of which can be scaled (and both of which are used in fairly superfluous ways 80% of the time).

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
If the screen thing is real it would surely be 3D right?

No. It would be overly expensive and you aren't looking at the screen enough to justify it.

KAL2006

Banned
onQ123 said:
So the Console will be a Hub & this system will be built around remote play?

sending HD console games to your handheld.

basically what Sony was doing with Remote Play but it will be for all the games,

& the people that was crying saying they don't want Console games on a Handheld will go crazy over HD Nintendo games on a Handheld.

not necessarily, remote play will be one of the features and of course not evey game can have it such as a game like WiiSports. The screen can have other functions too like, and extra screen for inventory. Or the screen lets you send messages and view friendslist while playing a game (screen can have a virtual keypad), screen can also be used for multiplayer splitscreen games, instead of splitscreen you have your own screen. The screen can also be used for sports games so no one can see your player settings. The screen can be used for other things, just look at some GBA-GameCube games connectivity like 4 Swords and etc.

Kaako said:
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Now I'm curious.
the controller will apparently have dual analogs, dpad, and triggers, but will also have a screen apparently that is touch and HD and can stream the games onto it.

But the 6 inches part pretty much HAS to be false, makes no sense unless it's detachable.

Darkangus

disappeared said:
I'm somewhat concerned with battery life of the controller. Needing to charge it every six hours or some bullshit like that would be frustrating.

More importante is if all this rumors became true is the price of the controler... =P

50€ for a Wii controler... For a WiiHD will be 100€???

we will see....

[Nintex]

So it doubles as a giant gameboy?

What the hell, sounds like Nintendo is going out of their way to nuke Konno and his 3D gimmicks like they did with Gunpei and the N64.

justchris

Akainu said:
This is like the most elaborate collaborate troll ever.

Yeah, except I don't think it's the news sites that are trolling us, which means if so, it's the 'sources', which means either Nintendo is trolling us, or 3rd parties are using us to troll Nintendo.

Zeliard said:
I think in that function it could work perfectly well in the way you're describing, and be more manageable. But the game streaming throws a wrench into it. And I would think the sites and sources would have mentioned something like it looking like a Wiimote that has a 6" screen underneath with a slider mechanic, but frankly, who knows at this point with these freaks. :>

Well, the thing to remember is that there's less than a 1% chance that any of the people reporting this have actually seen anything. They just have information from people who have seen it, and not necessarily worked with it, only seen it, so there's a lot of chance for misinterpretation and confusion in the reports.

Christine

DECK'ARD said:
So Nintendo's take on the iPhone/iPad, just with laggy play and without being able to take it outside.

What a great idea!

If it can receive streaming video, has a touchscreen, etc., it's probably more than powerful enough to run VC up through SNES, and maybe even N64 on its own. It'd be trivial for it to actually have more internal storage memory than the Wii, so maybe you will be able to take it with you.

AceBandage said:
Because consoles will be behind PCs, in which there hasn't been a HUGE leap in graphics. It's mostly been in physics and geometry. Both of which can be scaled (and both of which are used in fairly superfluous ways 80% of the time)..

There hasn't been a huge jump because AAA games that would push graphics are being developed with consoles in mind.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
H_Prestige said:
Other way around it seems like. Console can stream to the controller's display. Remote play essentially.

Yes, but there's no way to justify the cost of the controller unless the controller IS the console.

All the guts in the controller; connect with your tv when you want to play with your friends in the same room. Detach from TV and take with you when you're done. There's no need for the console to stream to the controller when the console IS the controller.

It's actually REVERSE Remote Play.

Basileus777 said:
There hasn't been a huge jump because AAA games that would push graphics are being developed with consoles in mind.

And that practice will continue for at least 3 more years.
And even then, unless Sony and MS go crazy and include Dual GPUs or something, it won't be the huge leap people are expecting.

Zeliard

justchris said:
Well, the thing to remember is that there's less than a 1% chance that any of the people reporting this have actually seen anything. They just have information from people who have seen it, and not necessarily worked with it, only seen it, so there's a lot of chance for misinterpretation and confusion in the reports.

There has to be some confusion somewhere, given the mental gymnastics one has to go through to visualize this thing working in any functional capacity.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
-Pyromaniac- said:
the controller will apparently have dual analogs, dpad, and triggers, but will also have a screen apparently that is touch and HD and can stream the games onto it.

But the 6 inches part pretty much HAS to be false, makes no sense unless it's detachable.
I said wow. Portable gaming controller with HD screen would be dope. What about the battery life of it? Games on the fly? Does controller have its own memory? So many damn questions now...
I anticipate their hardware spec announcement and details.

AceBandage said:
Because consoles will be behind PCs, in which there hasn't been a HUGE leap in graphics. It's mostly been in physics and geometry. Both of which can be scaled (and both of which are used in fairly superfluous ways 80% of the time).
You sure it's not just that because every party in the games industry is still focussing on the current gen? I mean, perhaps all the innovations in software design from this life cycle have been known for a while, but when next gen starts, a whole bunch of new things will be introduced again (in graphics, physics, geo, ...) that can't be replicated on current gen hardware?

It's a genuine question, since I don't know anything about this. It just seems strange that somehow the leap in power and capabilities would be less significant next gen than this gen. Specifically because I remember 6 years ago people saying how the 360/PS3 weren't really that much of a leap like the PS1->PS2 leap was, except that it does HD. After 6 years a comparison between games from this gen and last gen, there seems to be more of a change than just HD. :)

capslock said:
Yes, but there's no way to justify the cost of the controller unless the controller IS the console.

All the guts in the controller; connect with your tv when you want to play with your friends in the same room. Detach from TV and take with you when you're done. There's no need for the console to stream to the controller when the console IS the controller.

That would make sense if we were to assume that Japan and their preference for handheld gaming was the primary focus. Part of the rumors state the exact opposite.

neoanarch

capslock said:

A screen and wireless receiver shouldn't be that expensive. I doubt the actual controller will have any guts beyond that and the sensors.

If it has a dedicated wireless-N link to the controller at all times...

... I could actually see this working. You can play some games on the TV OR the controller, your choice, or some games can utilize both at their leisure.

The real question is: how much will it cost?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:
And that practice will continue for at least 3 more years.
And even then, unless Sony and MS go crazy and include Dual GPUs or something, it won't be the huge leap people are expecting.

I'd be less worried about GPU differences than others, assuming it at least meets a certain mark, and can handle a certain level of geometry. Other things can be pretty easily scaled back if needs be without actually changing the game. As long as they can use their shaders and so on on Nintendo's system, they can scale it (via resolution or LoD or using simpler shaders or whatever). As long as there's a certain amount of power there anyway.

CPU and memory, and developers' usage of that, will be key in whether this system can stay in the porting loop. That'll determine if the same actual game can run on this systems, whatever about how they look on the system vs Sony and MS's.

this controller sounds worse and worse. a 6" screen? the graphics quality and size will just eat up battery life to stupid amounts. not only that, the price sounds like something that will be a $100+ controller. NO ONE WILL BUY THAT!

for the first time ever, a Nintendo platform sounds horrible to me

Mrbob

capslock said:

ExplodingHead.gif

antonz

artwalknoon said:
Apparently this thread has figured out what's powering the Wii2 from a super inside source.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427510
The AMD Trinity?

I don't know what any of it means or if its legit but seemingly its real powerful, more than a "notch up" on 360?
Trinity would be a significant boost to the 360/PS3 in processing power. Using AMDs bulldozer technology and have a 5000 series Radeon GPU with DX11 Support

KAL2006

Banned
SpaceDrake said:
If it has a dedicated wireless-N link to the controller at all times...

... I could actually see this working. You can play some games on the TV OR the controller, your choice, or some games can utilize both at their leisure.

The real question is: how much will it cost?

Well if the architecture is similar to 360 but more powerful, then it shouldn't cost much. If I had to guess $300, with screen controller and wiimote, by then PS3 will be cheaper

Nlroh

Let's not forget the vitality sensor thing. I doubt Miyamoto would scrap it that easily, he seemed pretty excited with it. The only problem is that I can't picture a 6inch screen-controller which can detect pulse... well, I can't even imagine a "normal" 6inch screen-controller.

Paracelsus

X26 said:
I really hate the idea of a console controller with a screen on it

Last gen you could throw your controller into the screen, now you have the screen into the controller, makes perfect sense.

1-D_FTW

Plinko said:
I'm kind of stunned people are saying almost the exact same things that were said about the Wii's graphical prowess:

"Just a notch above PS2/XBOX? THEY'RE SCREWED. It's over for Nintendo."

Don't you guys realize that, outside of GAF, most people don't care that much--especially now with the level of graphics these systems are going to be at?

People also don't like to throw money down the toilet. What's the incentive for anyone to purchase one then? So they can do 4 player local co-op after they take out a second mortgage for 4 controllers? It seems like it's the only reason anyone would need to upgrade if they already have a current system.

mysteriousmage09 said:
No. They will show off their consoles E3 2012.

Traditionally (other than Nintendo's half-ass Revolution "reveal"), companies release their new system the same year they blow it out at e3. So if MS did show at E3 2012, that'd mean they could launch head to head with Nintendo in fall 2012. I wonder who'd do better. Hmm.

3DS/DS-Wii 2 compatibility would work much better than a touchscreen controller. You expect to carry around a Wii 2 controller, a smartphone, a DS, a tablet, etc.?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nlroh said:
Let's not forget the vitality sensor thing. I doubt Miyamoto would scrap it that easily, he seemed pretty excited with it. The only problem is that I can't picture a 6inch screen-controller which can detect pulse... well, I can't even imagine a "normal" 6inch screen-controller.

A vitality sensor could easily be placed on the back of the controller--like "sleeves" for your index fingertips to rest in as you play. It could measure pulse and there could even be triggers inside the "sleeves" to use in gameplay.

DonMigs85

antonz said:
Trinity would be a significant boost to the 360/PS3 in processing power. Using AMDs bulldozer technology and have a 5000 series Radeon GPU with DX11 Support
Yep. Like I said before, even a cheapo Radeon HD 5570 is still considerably more capable than the decrepit GPUs in the 360 and PS3.
In terms of the CPU it probably won't come close to Cell's raw floating point capability, but might be better as a general-purpose part.

watershed

Banned
X26 said:
I really hate the idea of a console controller with a screen on it

To be honest me too. Especially after the wii I can be pretty physical with my controllers. I don't wanna break or scratch this screen! Also does the screen make it heavier?

MisterHero

capslock said:

It's the Nintendo Wii iQue2! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom