• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Nintex]

KAL2006 said:
what the fuck, I don't know what to believe, didn't the french leak just say it is basically 2 4xxx graphics cards crosswired.
That's the Xbox 720. It is already known AMD won the contract and the Xbox 360 slim is already using Fusion tech.

Sony's focus on NGP must've put Nintendo's and Microsoft's console divisions into overdrive. They're probably trying scramble all their resources and burst out of the gates to gobble up the remaining Sony marketshare. I'm not sure if this is going to bite 3DS in the ass but it looks like Nintendo has much bigger plans with their new console.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1-D_FTW said:
People also don't like to throw money down the toilet. What's the incentive for anyone to purchase one then? So they can do 4 player local co-op after they take out a second mortgage for 4 controllers? It seems like it's the only reason anyone would need to upgrade if they already have a current system.

Again, I think you guys are underestimating the appeal of the detachable screen and ability to play the games around the house without using the TV. I think that will be huge to average Joe Consumer.

antonz

KAL2006 said:
what the fuck, I don't know what to believe, didn't the french leak just say it is basically 2 4xxx graphics cards crosswired.
Thats why I say there seems to be confusion. The source of the potential trinity stuff didnt specify Wii just a game console coming out in late 2012.

So unless the others have a big surprise at E3 its gotta be Nintendo. Early Devkits may out of supply not have all the final parts

May be the screen and the controller are two separate devices.
You need to attach the screen to the controller and remote-play with the main console via internet/lan.

beje

Banned
Am I the only one thinking the controller might look like this?

FErfC.jpg

But without the disc slot and more stilyzed for better grip

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
[Nintex] said:
That's the Xbox 720. It is already known AMD won the contract and the Xbox 360 slim is already using Fusion tech.

Only if the 720 is coming out in Fall 2012, which it doesn't seem to be. The only console we've heard releasing then is the next Nintendo system.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
Re. wireless latency...the Wireless HD standard claims latency of 1ms-15ms.

http://www.wirelesshd.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/WirelessHD_Overview_Presentation.pdf

So...a proprietary wireless connection that offers acceptable latency here does not seem out of the question. Something like the above would be less latency that some TVs add themselves.

edit - Opus sort of beat me to my own answer :)

WirelessHD is line of sight and can't go through walls.
WHDI has problems with interference from Wi-Fi.
There's also Intel's WIDI but not as much info on that.

There is no agreed standard yet, and it's very early days for wireless HDMI. I really don't think Nintendo would jump in this early for such a crucial feature of a new console. One article doesn't even expect it to be mainstream until 2015.

When people hear 6" 1080p screen on each controller, I don't understand why more people aren't concluding that the controller is a VR headset (akin to the virtua boy 2).

It's the only explanation that makes sense as to why a controller would need a whopping 6" 1080p screen.

It does seem unlikely that MS will release a new system next year. Especially with Kinect actually doing well.
I hope we get some good stuff on the 25th...

Stephen Colbert said:
When people here 6" 1080p screen on the controller, I don't understand why more people aren't concluding that the controller is a VR headset (akin to the virtua boy 2).

It's the only explanation that makes sense as to why a controller would need a whopping 6" 1080p screen.

Who said anything about a 1080p screen on the handheld? That resolution on a 6 inch screen would be too much.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Update: Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

Are they trying to make the first console handheld hybrid? This is only becoming harder to believe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
WirelessHD is line of sight and can't go through walls..

There is a solution for LoS reading the wikipedia... needing to be in the same room is not a big deal.

I think the point is just that it's technically plausible Nintendo could have a proprietary solution that would be 'better' for this use-case than standard wifi or whatever.

On a side note, I'm thinking about the part of the rumour about a front facing camera on the controller. And use-cases for that. Not sure...

MisterHero

Stephen Colbert said:
When people here 6" 1080p screen on the controller, I don't understand why more people aren't concluding that the controller is a VR headset (akin to the virtua boy 2).

aside from obvious motion-sensing potential, I don't know if they would refer to a visor as a controller

1-D_FTW

Plinko said:
Again, I think you guys are underestimating the appeal of the detachable screen and ability to play the games around the house without using the TV. I think that will be huge to average Joe Consumer.

I guess. I just don't see the point. This seems like a very Japanese centric thing at best. It seems like most people already have enough portable gadgets they can play games on.

watershed

Banned
Plinko said:

Well for me the point is that while I love Nintendo 1st party games I also want to be able to buy AAA 3rd party games for this thing. I only hope that its powerful enough for this to be true once the next sony and microsoft consoles launch. Aside from that price and the size/shape/functions of the controller are my only concerns.

I trust Nintendo to do something interesting, but how well will it all be implemented?

Zeal

Banned
From The Dust said:
so now they want to cannabalize 3DS sales?

this.

i don't understand what this even means anymore. is this somekind of amazingly well planned, networked coalition of trolls? starting to feel like misinformation is afoot.

AniHawk

Stephen Colbert said:
When people hear 6" 1080p screen on each controller, I don't understand why more people aren't concluding that the controller is a VR headset (akin to the virtua boy 2).

because it's supposed to be a touch screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From The Dust said:

Nah, this will only work in a local radius to the home system, maybe even only in the same room. It'll be very much tied to the home. 3DS is a truly portable thing by comparison.

From The Dust said:

Yes, because the audience for a dedicated portable device with an autostereoscopic screen and social features is *exactly* the same as the audience for an HD console with an innovative controller that would allow remote play in your own home.

;-)

capslock said:
Yes, but there's no way to justify the cost of the controller unless the controller IS the console.

All the guts in the controller; connect with your tv when you want to play with your friends in the same room. Detach from TV and take with you when you're done. There's no need for the console to stream to the controller when the console IS the controller.

It's actually REVERSE Remote Play.

You do realize what you're describing is just a handheld with TV out, right?

There won't be a CPU/GPU inside the controller.

pakkit

Banned
XAL said:
Nintendo:

"Hmmm. Our sales of the Wii are slowing down."

"Yes, I think it's time to release a marginally better version with some new gimmicky feature....I hear those kids these days like the HDs, lets release an HD Wii that upscales our garbage looking titles into HD!"

"Do you think that kind of scheme will actually work with a proper console? Surely people won't buy it. It's gotta have a slight tech upgrade, an updated controller, or some kind of new gotta-have-it accessory right?"

"Whatever. Those brainwashed fanboys of ours can't get enough of our incessant worthless hardware and cosmetic revisions - just look at how many versions of the DS we've put out. And to be clear these kind of people went apeshit for new colored gamecubes for chrissakes."

"Good point."

"Let's go masturbate with these assholes' money"

"Sweet"
www.gamefaqs.com

watershed

Banned
MisterHero said:
aside from obvious motion-sensing potential, I don't know if they would refer to a visor as a controller

Wait a minute he may be on to something! The "new" controller is the VR headset with the 6" screen while the motion controls are an improvement on the wii set up with dual anologs! This way all the controller rumors fit!

antonz said:
Trinity would be a significant boost to the 360/PS3 in processing power. Using AMDs bulldozer technology and have a 5000 series Radeon GPU with DX11 Support

You're probably looking at a 800SP part with trinity. It'll blow the 360 away in gaphics.

KAL2006

Banned
If this wireless streaming of games becomes a hit with the new Wii HD, I expect Sony to copy this with their next system but you need an NGP. They may even re-release the PS3 in the mean time with better remote play that isn't laggy.

neoanarch

gofreak said:
There is a solution for LoS reading the wikipedia... needing to be in the same room is not a big deal.

I think the point is just that it's technically plausible Nintendo could have a proprietary solution that would be 'better' for this use-case than standard wifi or whatever.

On a side note, I'm thinking about the part of the rumour about a front facing camera on the controller. And use-cases for that. Not sure...

The wiimote has the same thing basically I thought. A infrared camera to pickup the sensor. In fact I'm sure its the same thing.

apana

Nlroh said:
Let's not forget the vitality sensor thing. I doubt Miyamoto would scrap it that easily, he seemed pretty excited with it. The only problem is that I can't picture a 6inch screen-controller which can detect pulse... well, I can't even imagine a "normal" 6inch screen-controller.

Miyamoto isn't even involved in the vitality sensor project.

Eteric Rice

Plinko said:
LOL at the people freaking out about how the 6 inch screen would make the controllers unusable. How in the world are you going to play the NGP?

Hilariously enough, it sounds like the controller IS the NGP.

I'm skeptical of all of this. I can believe it being a next gen system with a touch screen on the controller. But a 6" HD touch screen?

Doesn't sound like Nintendo.

I think a couple of these rumors are being thrown out there for hits, to be honest.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
neoanarch said:
The wiimote has the same thing basically I thought. A infrared camera to pickup the sensor. In fact I'm sure its the same thing.

That's a forward facing IR camera just for pointer purposes. The suggestion here seems to be a front-facing one, ala a tablet camera or whatever.

gofreak said:
Nah, this will only work in a local radius to the home system, maybe even only in the same room. It'll be very much tied to the home. 3DS is a truly portable thing by comparison.

that's the only way I can see it. however, explaining this to people could prove difficult to some degree. tell them you can game without having to look at your tv, they think "isn't that what the 3DS is for?" you would tell them, no, this is more powerful. then they wonder why even buy a 3DS. you tell them that this only works within the radius of main Wii2 device, which is connected to the tv. then they ask what's the point of even being able to play the game on the small screen

(I know people who actually used this logic before, which is why I bring it up)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wenis said:
why do you need a screen in the remote? O_O

We'll find out.

Jim Reilly has a lot riding on this announcement huh? He's either gonna look like the man or a douche lol

Eteric Rice said:
Hilariously enough, it sounds like the controller IS the NGP.

I'm skeptical of all of this. I can believe it being a next gen system with a touch screen on the controller. But a 6" HD touch screen?

Doesn't sound like Nintendo.

I think a couple of these rumors are being thrown out there for hits, to be honest.

It's still bizarre that all these leaks came from different sources all at once, though.
I wonder if it was orchestrated from Nintendo as a way to throw everyone off the trail completely?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:

A console that connects to a TV, with a controller that streams the games but you have to be in the same room as the TV to use would be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom