• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
If this wireless streaming of games becomes a hit with the new Wii HD, I expect Sony to copy this with their next system but you need an NGP. They may even re-release the PS3 in the mean time with better remote play that isn't laggy.

Sony will probably continue to evolve remote play - I think it would be unfair to characterise that as copying Nintendo. Remote play as standard on PS4 seems like a no-brainer since the RAM should be plentiful there for services like that.

ElRenoRaven

JBuccCP said:
I don't see anything stating the controller is wireless. Obviously it will come with an 80 foot thunderbolt cable.

ROFLMAO. Here I am reading all this serious discussion and then there is your post in all it's glory. You sir made my day with that. That's a seriously funny fucking post.

GaryD

I don't know what to think here. Hopefully we aren't stuck gaming on a 6" screen. Though the possibility of console gaming on the toilet is great

If the 6" (5.23"x2.94" or good ol' metric 13.28cm x 7.74cm) display rumors are true, it'll only be capable of displaying 1280x720p at 244.77ppi.

If it was 1080p resolution, it'd be 367.15ppi - miles ahead of any other mass market display in that particular size - and that's not going to happen.

apana

gofreak said:
Sony will probably continue to evolve remote play - I think it would be unfair to characterise that as copying Nintendo. Remote play as standard on PS4 seems like a no-brainer since the RAM should be plentiful there for services like that.

lol we're gonna have thousand page threads on who is copying who.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
A console that connects to a TV, with a controller that streams the games but you have to be in the same room as the TV to use would be ridiculous.

Not for houses where there's a lot of contention for the TV...and not if it's just an incidental side feature. The screen will undoubtedly be pushed for whatever 'gameplay enhancing' uses Nintendo has in mind, with streaming games just a side effect feature.

That's a most conservative scenario anyway...acceptable performance may well be possible within a typical house, even through walls, as long as distance is not huge.

KAL2006

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
A console that connects to a TV, with a controller that streams the games but you have to be in the same room as the TV to use would be ridiculous.

I doubt it will be that shit, it should be able to allow you to stream around the same house as the console.

apana

Can someone explain how haptic feedback works? Maybe they don't even need the rest of the remote. They just give us a screen with all the stuff on it:

transparent-mobile-1.jpg

devildog820 said:
Wonder if that was intentional.

Of course it was. It was basically Apple saying "We're too good for your little gaming show! We'll have our own!"
Where in, all the major developers go to E3, and no one goes to WWDC except Apple fanboys.

Woffls

Aight this just sounds stupid now. Either Nintendo are going to knock us all for six, or half the stuff we're reading is utter bullshit. I hate to think how much these controllers are going to cost, unless "HD screen" really just means it's only 6" and the res is high enough that you can't tell the difference?

As for streaming games to the handheld, I think that would be amazing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that counts for some retail games as well. Their thoughts behind it will be "Let your kids use the console while you're watching TV!" Although, this will not help 3DS.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
Not for houses where there's a lot of contention for the TV...and not if it's just an incidental side feature. The screen will undoubtedly be pushed for whatever 'gameplay enhancing' uses Nintendo has in mind, with streaming games just a side effect feature.

That's a most conservative scenario anyway...acceptable performance may well be possible within a typical house, even through walls, as long as distance is not huge.

The frequency WirelessHD works at bounces off walls, it will not go through them.

And the other standards suffer from interference from Wi-Fi.

It's an immature technology with no agreed standard, Nintendo really aren't going to jump into it now for the questionable benefits of when someone else is using the TV. That's what handhelds are for, and all connectivity gimmicks would be done better by using the 3DS itself.

AceBandage said:
Of course it was. It was basically Apple saying "We're too good for your little gaming show! We'll have our own!"
Where in, all the major developers go to E3, and no one goes to WWDC except Apple fanboys.
Well actually wwdc is for iOS and Mac developers. And there are relatively fewer game devs at wwdc.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tashi0106 said:
We'll find out.

Jim Reilly has a lot riding on this announcement huh? He's either gonna look like the man or a douche lol
He's going to be grilled alive by millions of fanboys if this all turns out to be false.

Wow. This is a storm of developing news. I'm actually pretty pumped. But I honestly have to question the validity of a 6" HD screen. If you can stream apps and data to the device and take it with you then what's the point of the 3DS? I'd much rather have the portable Wii 2 controller.

KAL2006

Banned
apana said:
Can someone explain how haptic feedback works? Maybe they don't even need the rest of the remote. They just give us a screen with all the stuff on it:

transparent-mobile-1.jpg

that was one of my original theories that the controller itselft is made of a haptic screen with buttons and etc on it. So basically if you touch a dog with your motion controller (made out of haptic screen), you feel fur.

Cosmozone

Plinko said:
I'm kind of stunned people are saying almost the exact same things that were said about the Wii's graphical prowess:

"Just a notch above PS2/XBOX? THEY'RE SCREWED. It's over for Nintendo."

Don't you guys realize that, outside of GAF, most people don't care that much--especially now with the level of graphics these systems are going to be at?
Fact is, despite being enough for making good-enough graphics, the low power of the Wii killed 3rd party developer and "hardcore" (fanboy) consumer interest. And another thing is, making the console significantly more powerful wouldn't have been that expensive either. So for not much additional cost they could've gotten more power - fanboys are pleased, and a more up-to-date and common architecture - developers are pleased. The only downside would've been that they'd have to drop Gamecube backwards compatibility since the architectures are too different.

I like Nintendo, but I don't want them to put themselves into the same situation again. A more solid power level comparable to Gamecube at its time would benefit them in the long term I think. But eventually they think, power didn't help GC back then, why should it help Wii 2 now? Still, they've got the opportunity to bring the most powerful console (by a "significant" margin) to the table right now, so why not use this chance.

jj984jj said:
He's going to be grilled alive by millions of fanboys if this all turns out to be false.
A guy like that wouldn't report on something he wasn't sure about. Of course, plans change and he could be ultimately wrong. But I would bet what he is saying is true, today anyway.

artwalknoon said:
Wait a minute he may be on to something! The "new" controller is the VR headset with the 6" screen while the motion controls are an improvement on the wii set up with dual anologs! This way all the controller rumors fit!

It would also explain the rumor that the VR visor has a front facing camera. That way you could have augmented reality as well.

AceBandage said:
WWDC sold out in less than half a day this year because it's the biggest development conference for what is currently the hottest development platform in the world.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
KAL2006 said:
I doubt it will be that shit, it should be able to allow you to stream around the same house as the console.

None can currently do so without interference.

Wireless HDMI isn't even close to mainstream yet.

apana

KAL2006 said:
that was one of my original theories that the controller itselft is made of a haptic screen with buttons and etc on it. So basically if you touch a dog with your motion controller (made out of haptic screen), you feel fur.

If they could actually pull it off it would make perfect sense. The new Wii mote may just look like an ultra thin iphone.

A.KU.MU

Banned
IGN said:
Update: Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.

$599 confirmed.

TDU82.png

watershed

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
It would also explain the rumor that the VR visor has a front facing camera. That way you could have augmented reality as well.

But there's a problem, among many. This would mean that according to Nintendo, putting on a pair of glasses to see 3d is stupid, but putting on an entire helmet to see HD makes perfect sense?! Well seeing as how its Nintendo...

Rollo Tomasi said:
LOL, a site i was just on had an article saying its going to have Blu-Ray. Looks like Sony is going to be doing all right.

There's no better alternative for HD gaming than BluRay. And they'd probably go through Panasonic or Sharp anyway for it.

Jonm1010

Banned
Im just thinking here. But if the rumour about downloading an entire game to the controller is true wouldnt that all but guarantee the specs for the system arent going to be too outlandishly advanced?

I mean, the controller would have to be able to run the game. So either you are literally going to give each person buying the system two groundbreaking CPUs and GPUs - that can fit into a controller mind you - which would hae to raise costs outlandishly.

Im thinking more along the lines that its an advanced Dreamcast screen that might be able to wirelessly route the game from your console to your handheld if you wished.

But even allowing that seems odd. Because if certain games use the wii2 screen for its hub or inventory you would essentially have to create a workaround for every game if you only wanted to play on the controller.

I feel like something is being heavily exaggerated.

KAL2006 said:
So basically if you touch a dog with your motion controller (made out of haptic screen), you feel fur.

Yep, and if you bring it into the bathroom the whole room becomes a holodeck like in Star Trek.

which1spink said:
If the 6" (5.23"x2.94" or good ol' metric 13.28cm x 7.74cm) display rumors are true, it'll only be capable of displaying 1280x720p at 244.77ppi.

If it was 1080p resolution, it'd be 367.15ppi - miles ahead of any other mass market display in that particular size - and that's not going to happen.

No there was a Korean video player with a 5 inch 1080p screen over an year ago.

KAL2006

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
None can currently do so without interference.

Wireless HDMI isn't even close to mainstream yet.

Well it isn't exactly going to stream HD (the screen on the controller isn't HD according to french leak). The PSP did it with lag, I am sure with better wireless tech they can do it without lag, maybe the controller sends decent signals as well as the console itself.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AceBandage said:
Apple always has it at that time.

I hope this post wasn't serious and I just got Astrolad'ed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
The frequency WirelessHD works at bounces off walls, it will not go through them.

And the other standards suffer from interference from Wi-Fi.

It's an immature technology with no agreed standard, Nintendo really aren't going to jump into it now for the questionable benefits of when someone else is using the TV. That's what handhelds are for, and all connectivity gimmicks would be done better by using the 3DS itself.

On the latter point, it wouldn't - since that would require another $150-$200 (at the time) purchase. Presumably Nintendo will have costed this setup to be much cheaper.

On the tech side though, I think it remains that Nintendo can use a more tailored lower latency tech for a local connection to the controller. It may not be perfect but it may be good enough, and Nintendo's not afraid to use tech that's simply 'good enough'.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonm1010 said:
Im just thinking here. But if the rumour about downloading an entire game to the controller is true wouldnt that all but guarantee the specs for the system arent going to be too outlandishly advanced?

Games are streamed, not downloaded. They'd be running on the console, not on the controller, the video output simply directed to the controller.

On another subject, it got me thinking that the screen would allow - funnily enough perhaps - control layouts as complex as devs desire. You could have a whole suite of hotkeys on a touchscreen that size. Games like WoW etc. would be feasible without as keyboard and without necessarily dumbing down controls in a console-ish fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom