• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branduil said:
Here's my theory:

wii2.png

The entire face of the remote is a screen. The center of the screen is touchscreen, while the sides are covered with transparent plastic and transparent buttons. The whole thing plugs into a classic controller type setup, and there would be a wireless nunchuk included as well.

It's the best I could think of to reconcile most of the crazy rumors.

that looks good. however, when has the fans ever come close to Nintendo's controllers? :lol

low-G said:
What if instead of face buttons they just use the touch screen. You can put 'buttons' anywhere you want. Sounds like something Nintendo would do.
goes against the fact that they're chasing after core games, which pretty much require a complex controller.

Anyway the screen will be detachable like the VMU, book it everyone.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm still betting anyone the 6 inch screen rumour from that french website is total bullshit. I think people here are severely underestimating how ridiculously mother fucking large that is.

6" screen and game-streaming are both bullshit in my opinion.

In fact none of this is fitting together in a way that makes sense. Plus Nintendo hasn't had anything leak to this degree before, and in the case of the 3DS' screen they made sure to immediately put out a press-release.

If any of this was on the mark I think we would see a similar press-release.

J-Rock

Banned
I would not be surprised to hear that Wii 2 will be out this holiday season. It seems like, if these rumors are true, Nintendo is interested in attacking sooner rather than later.

WillyFive

Iron_Scimitar said:
A screen in the controller is so unneeded.

This gen's version of a speaker on the controller.

Or it could be more.

blizzardjesus said:
I was gonna do one with the analog stick on the botton too, but in practice it would be uncomfortable, like the ps3 controller.

Yeah, in this day and age there is no reason for an analog stick to be in the secondary position. We play 3D games more, so the analog stick should be right beneath where your thumb will rest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
J-Rock said:
I would not be surprised to hear that Wii 2 will be out this holiday season. It seems like, if these rumors are true, Nintendo is interested in attacking sooner rather than later.
They need a game line-up, which would be a major reason for such an early reveal.

DECK'ARD said:
6" screen and game-streaming are both bullshit in my opinion.

In fact none of this is fitting together in a way that makes sense. Plus Nintendo hasn't had anything leak to this degree before, and in the case of the 3DS' screen they made sure to immediately put out a press-release.

If any of this was on the mark I think we would see a similar press-release.
Actually if this was on the mark I'd expect exactly what we have, silence.

I dunno. IGN claims this is confirmed by their sources, and if it is, that's fucking crazy.

But I can't remember any console-selling concept I've heard in the last decade that I did not think was fucking crazy until I actually saw it used.

apana

MadraptorMan said:
Wait so they aren't going with a remote control style controller this time? What about...pointing and such? :(

We don't know what's gonna happen. There is no way all these things could fit into one controller. I still like this look I posted on the last page, just the screen and no remote, but it would still retain remote functionality:

transparent-mobile-1.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShockingAlberto said:
I dunno. IGN claims this is confirmed by their sources, and if it is, that's fucking crazy.

But I can't remember any console-selling concept I've heard in the last decade that I did not think was fucking crazy until I actually saw it used.
The concept is interesting in that they're essentially trying to attack the tablet market while also having a console.

Branduil

From The Dust said:
that looks good. however, when has the fans ever come close to Nintendo's controllers? :lol
I remember a Wii mockup that correctly guessed the remote idea, as well as being able to hold the controller both like a remote and sideways. The form was different, though.

Medalion

Banned
I remember when people were speculating about the potential fo the 3DS saying it only does everything and more... here we go again with the new Nintendo home console, which will come up short as usual... you know it to be true.

Nirolak said:
The concept is interesting in that they're essentially trying to attack the tablet market while also having a console.

It could very well be a double-whammy. Combined with the power of the 360 or PS3 (more core support, more multiplatform releases), there's no reason this couldn't be a very big deal.

J-Rock

Banned
Nirolak said:
They need a game line-up, which would be a major reason for such an early reveal.

True. They have me guessing. This comment throws me off: "There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3".

1st and 3rd? Who and how so soon?

WillyFive

redbarchetta said:
But why not just make it for the 3DS then?

Because you don't want to buy 4 (or more) $250 devices to play Mario Kart in multiplayer.

J-Rock said:
True. They have me guessing. This comment throws me off: "There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3".

If this is all true, then the leak itself would be proof that there are more people than usual working on this thing.

J-Rock said:
Wait a minute. Don't a lot of people consider the release of the 3DS surprisingly early, as the DS is still doing well to exceptionally well? Perhaps Nintendo pulled the 3DS launch forward so that they'd also be able to release a Wii successor in 2011 during holiday season!?! Whoaaa!

CONFIRMED!

if it is close to 400 series which one it would be? There is so many of them.

enthusiast

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2

ATI Radeon™ HD 4890

Performance

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870

ATI Radeon™ HD 4850

ATI Radeon™ HD 4830

ATI Radeon™ HD 4770

Mainstream

ATI Radeon™ HD 4600

Value

ATI Radeon™ HD 4550

ATI Radeon™ HD 4350

evangd007

We have reports that the GPU will either be an R700 or a Bulldozer. How exactly would either of these be "just a notch" above the 360's archaic X1900 equivalent?

1-D_FTW

seady said:
I disagree. I think 2011 Holiday is the perfect timing.
Last year the Wii had the best year ever in term of quality games. It was a great last leg to the popular console. Also, the 3DS was not even out by that time, why would Nintendo release their console before the handheld? The Wii was released a year later than the original DS.

Except this isn't rumored for 2011. Almost everyone seems to be pointing to 2012. Which is why the specs are so bizarre. They could probably get away with low balling the specs this badly if it was 2011, but giving Sony and MS almost two years to react before it launches seems like an epic fail.

evangd007 said:
We have reports that the GPU will either be an R700 or a Bulldozer. How exactly would either of these be "just a notch" above the 360's archaic X1900 equivalent?

The French site is saying IBM Power PC Tri core. That alone makes me want to invalidate everything they say. But if true...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
J-Rock said:

They've had dev kits for "months."

J-Rock said:

Apparently, larger devs (Ubisoft, EA, Activision, ect) have had kits for months now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
J-Rock said:

Ports presumably.

You could shove just about anything from this generation on this console really, really fast if it's a Radeon graphics card and a Power PC processor with at least 512 MB of RAM.

jett said:
Wait, the screen is supposed to be 6 inches big? The massive NGP screen is only 5inches...

yeah.........

... and still has buttons/analog sticks on both sides.

If the two analog sticks of the rumored machine would be below the screen in the bottom left and right of the device, it'd roughly have the same width as the NGP and just be 2 or 3cm higher.

And yet slimmer than the Galaxy Tab. Doesn't sound too bad, ey?

apana

Nirolak said:
You know, using physical and virtual buttons would allow games to have an insanely huge amount of buttons.

Can you create a virtual analog stick using haptic feedback technology?

squall23

k, that controller sounds friggin' expensive. Why did Nintendo make a 3DS again? Unless of course, Nintendo's going to allow the 3DS to be a controller option, then I won't complain.

low-G said:
What if instead of face buttons they just use the touch screen. You can put 'buttons' anywhere you want. Sounds like something Nintendo would do.

God that would be terrible. I mean, seriously, like the worst possible thing Nintendo could do. There's a reason I don't game on my iPhone and that's it. Unless they're using some new haptic-feedback based technology, I would not be interested at all in their system.

watershed

Banned
This new information added to the OP seems to conflict with the quoted report right below it.

"The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series. The Xbox 360's GPU is based on the R500 (an upgraded Radeon X1900 variant with some R600 features) for comparison"

"It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM."

I don't know enough about tech so do these two quotes make sense to anyone else? Are they compatible or two different rumors entirely?

Pirabear

Banned
I'm on the "6 inch screen that streams games = VR headset/glasses" team. The alternative (controller being a portable Wii 2) seems redundant with the 3DS.

Pachael

Willy105 said:
Just the controller, as far as we know.

It may be that the 3DS is another 'branch' in their handheld line while the Wii 2 controllers would be 'detachable' from the Wii 2 and used as a handheld platform.

Think of it like a massively overpowered VMU. That'd surprise.

Even better, if it ran on Android and went head to head with the PS initiative (but that's unlikely as Nintendo is all--in-house software dude)

antonz

evangd007 said:
Im kinda guessing they refer to the CPU at the french site. The tri core powerPC would be a marginal upgrade over current gen but the gpu would certainly be a big upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom