• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medalion said:
I remember when people were speculating about the potential fo the 3DS saying it only does everything and more... here we go again with the new Nintendo home console, which will come up short as usual... you know it to be true.

And for the umpteenth time, the Wii was the first nintendo console that was underpowered compared to its competitors. However, I am keeping my expectations low as nintendo seems to be completely out of touch with what the "hardcore" gamer wants. If you were talking about functionality then I apologize.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
artwalknoon said:
This new information added to the OP seems to conflict with the quoted report right below it.

"The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series. The Xbox 360's GPU is based on the R500 (an upgraded Radeon X1900 variant with some R600 features) for comparison"

"It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM."

I don't know enough about tech so do these two quotes make sense to anyone else? Are they compatible or two different rumors entirely?
The Radeon 4000 HD series is the R700.

R700 is the name of the architecture.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Luminate said:
I'm on the "6 inch screen that streams games = VR headset/glasses" team. The alternative (controller being a portable Wii 2) seems redundant with the 3DS.

Not really--if you tie it to a console that has to be streaming, you couldn't leave the house with it.

Rich!

I love what Nintendo seem to be doing here.

After having your dog die, and your girlfriend hospitalized for days, it's nice to have something to look forward too. Like Zelda in HD, fuuuuuck yeah

KAL2006

Banned
Branduil said:
Here's my theory:

wii2.png

The entire face of the remote is a screen. The center of the screen is touchscreen, while the sides are covered with transparent plastic and transparent buttons. The whole thing plugs into a classic controller type setup, and there would be a wireless nunchuk included as well.

It's the best I could think of to reconcile most of the crazy rumors.

At first I thought this was a good idea but now that I have had a better think it is not. Having a screen on a motion WiiMote is asking for the screen to break. Also if the screen is 6" then it would be too big to hold as a WiiMote. I personally think it will just be like the NGP except with comfortable handles on the side and the analog would be switched with DPad. I am guessing the old WiiMote will still be supported.

KAL2006

Banned
Branduil said:
Here's my theory:

wii2.png

The entire face of the remote is a screen. The center of the screen is touchscreen, while the sides are covered with transparent plastic and transparent buttons. The whole thing plugs into a classic controller type setup, and there would be a wireless nunchuk included as well.

It's the best I could think of to reconcile most of the crazy rumors.

At first I thought this was a good idea but now that I have had a better think it is not. Having a screen on a motion WiiMote is asking for the screen to break. Also if the screen is 6" then it would be too big to hold as a WiiMote. I personally think it will just be like the NGP except with comfortable handles on the side and the analog would be switched with DPad. I am guessing the old WiiMote will still be supported.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Man said:
I'm not sure how this would be appealing to a larger market though.
If you can use it as keyboard and browse Facebook with it, and it could change to some complementary menu for Facebook when not using a text field. You have something the casuals could go gaga over. Net/TV convergence is inevitable, and if someone can do it in an accessible way, it is Nintendo. They will also have a device useful for the many HD television owners whose sets were purchased prior to the applification of TV sets — an iPad for a TV that you can do casual light computing tasks on like Netflix, email, eBay, Skype, et cetera.

Not sure if Nintendo has the initiative to do this, or they are just set on "20 million purchased this new Black Ops? We need some of that!"

Willy105 said:
Because you don't want to buy 4 (or more) $250 devices to play Mario Kart in multiplayer.

You think the system's going to come with four controllers? There's no way. The only advantages is that they won't cost $250, but using that logic, why make any 3DS multiplayer games?

seady

They should just throw in a 3DS with each Wii 2, use it as the controller and call it a day.

Joking aside, why can't they push the handheld-console connectivity experience they have explored since 2001? Releasing a new controller with a screen feels a little redundant.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nothing is really needed until the games come out that need it.

I remember friends complaining that shoulder buttons on the SNES were entirely pointless. I've heard tales of people not liking the D-Pad because a joystick was perfectly fine.

Not saying this will be that fundamental, or even that you're wrong and that it will even be beneficial. But wide swipes at vague concepts as "unnecessary" means that more or less nothing will ever move forward. Or sideways.

I dont want a secondary display thats gonna take my eyes away from the main attraction. Also, the controllers are gonna fetch a high price tag with all of that tech inside. I dont wanna imagine having a malfunctioning screen due to the controller dropping. Its just way to complicated for the sake of being different.

Souldriver said:
Wait a minute. Don't a lot of people consider the release of the 3DS surprisingly early, as the DS is still doing well to exceptionally well? Perhaps Nintendo pulled the 3DS launch forward so that they'd also be able to release a Wii successor in 2011 during holiday season!?! Whoaaa!

CONFIRMED!
The 3DS was actually intended for November of last year and pushed back to work on the games and produce more units.

Well I finally figured out the answer to the question I asked hours ago and the controller acting as the sensor bar. When you want to play pointer style you sit the controller under or on top of your set and boom - instant wireless sensor bar for your Wii remotes. I feel kind of slow for not picking up on that sooner and I'm sure this riddle was probably already solved ages ago in this monster thread.

Also, if the screen rumor is true it's almost certainly going to be one of those new tactile displays where the screen actually raises up where electric impulses are applied. That sounds totally Nintendo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This French article has a lot of updates that CVG didn't cover.

It seems the tablet controller is supposedly not HD, but has some kind of ARM or embedded processor in it.

Damnit, I'm on the hype train.

Wii, for me, despite some amazing experiences (e.g., Wii Sports, SMG), ultimately didn't deliver what I had hoped, but I think my hopes were just too high. I just wish the interaction innovations it brought had led to a platform that developers really played around with and fine-tuned. But that didn't really happen (not even with Nintendo).

But screw it, the Wii was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm on board with whatever insane wacky shit they're putting on the Wii2, even if it's somehow (yet again) dismissed as "kiddy" and doesn't really take off in a broad way.

antonz

The thing with the R700 series gpu speculation is even if Nintendo cheaped out and stuck a 4770 in the thing it would be a GPU thats still like double the power of the 360 GPU. The only way they could claim to be similar to the 360 would be based on their idea of a Tri-Core PowerPC CPU.

A 4870 Would be something on the magnitude of 3 times as powerful as the 360 GPU

squall23

richisawesome said:
After having your dog die, and your girlfriend hospitalized for days, it's nice to have something to look forward too. Like Zelda in HD, fuuuuuck yeah
Is this a serious post? Because if it is, do know that I'm sorry for you.

JBuccCP

So now it's releasing in 2012 with what will be 4 year old graphics tech with some other unique thingy as a selling point. That sounds more like recent Nintendo to me.

WillyFive

redbarchetta said:
You think the system's going to come with four controllers? There's no way. The only advantages is that they won't cost $250, but using that logic, why make any 3DS multiplayer games?

Who said it was going to come with four controllers? I was talking about playing Mario Kart with 4 people.

I did a quick google search and it seems like the R700 cards are significantly more powerful than the R500/X1900. The article says it's just a bit more powerful than the 360 so I am guessing it's the lowest end 4000 card?

Chittagong

Gold Member
JBuccCP said:
So now it's releasing in 2012 with what will be 4 year old graphics tech with some other unique thingy as a selling point. That sounds more like recent Nintendo to me.

yep, sounds about right. And they'll win.

Iron_Scimitar said:
I dont want a secondary display thats gonna take my eyes away from the main attraction. Also, the controllers are gonna fetch a high price tag with all of that tech inside. I dont wanna imagine having a malfunctioning screen due to the controller dropping. Its just way to complicated for the sake of being different.
Well, you took a thoughtful plea for rationality and reacted as if a controller that does not exist in any public form is the worst thing in the world. Trust me when I say it is a compliment that I did not expect that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
cuyahoga said:
If you can use it as keyboard and browse Facebook with it, and it could change to some complementary menu for Facebook when not using a text field. You have something the casuals could go gaga over. Net/TV convergence is inevitable, and if someone can do it in an accessible way, it is Nintendo. They will also have a device useful for the many HD television owners whose sets were purchased prior to the applification of TV sets — an iPad for a TV that you can do casual light computing tasks on like Netflix, email, eBay, Skype, et cetera.

Not sure if Nintendo has the initiative to do this, or they are just set on "20 million purchased this new Black Ops? We need some of that!"

A dumb tablet that is tethered to a console and can't leave the home would be a baffling direction to go in.

I really can't see any of this happening.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, you took a thoughtful plea for rationality and reacted as if a controller that does not exist in any public form is the worst thing in the world. Trust me when I say it is a compliment that I did not expect that.

A controller that doesn't exist but has almost everything about it leaked already? I think there's already enough info for people to start worrying.

apana

KAL2006 said:

There is still no way that all of this can work on any one controller. If we believe the rumors, Nintendo did everything except give the controller artificial intelligence.

Well the CPU not going to be much better but the GPU should be better than anything in consoles right now.
Now all they have to do is go for 1gb of ram and not 512mb and they will get the best ports of up coming games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nirolak said:
This French article has a lot of updates that CVG didn't cover.

It seems the tablet controller is supposedly not HD, but has some kind of ARM or embedded processor in it.
Most expensive controller ever for a console?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
elrechazao said:
512 mb of ram? Really?

I'm slightly surprised it's not a gig considering you can get a an off the shelf 4850 1 gig for $100. It's old tech and at volume pricing I see no reason to not go with 1 gig.

KAL2006

Banned
apana said:
There is still no way that all of this can work on any one controller. If we believe the rumors, Nintendo did everything except give the controller artificial intelligence.

yes it can, if the controller was basically like an NGP with handles on the side then it can house a large screen and have dual analogs, triggers and butttons.

It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM.

Similar enough to 360 that it would seemingly allow easy ports, hopefully running better and at higher resolutions. Very interesting specs and if so, Nintendo could easily get some 3rd parties on board with just the ease of porting alone. Nintendo really needs to step up in the online department though and offer a service that rivals XBL/PSN. Excited to see what this console shapes up to be, especially the wacky sounding controller.

Everyone keeps forgetting we may get news on the 25th!
E3 is still forever away, but in just over a week we could see another explosion of news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom