• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Maybe something like the iControlPad?

6PVwO.jpg

Branduil

perfectnight said:
A controller that doesn't exist but has almost everything about it leaked already? I think there's already enough info for people to start worrying.
Until we know how these rumors will actually be implemented, judging them is kind of pointless.

I'm a bit confused about this GPU naming stuff. My laptop has a Radeon HD 5650 in it...that's higher than the 4000 series so it's better yeah? But graphically I'm only capable of running slightly better than 360/PS3 graphics without taking major performance hits (CPU is i5 430m, plenty of RAM to go around). Obviously a machine built exclusively for gaming will get more out of the GPU, but isn't the 4000 series already old? Or am I missing something?

Krowley

DBebm5 said:
Damnit, I'm on the hype train.

Wii, for me, despite some amazing experiences (e.g., Wii Sports, SMG), ultimately didn't deliver what I had hoped, but I think my hopes were just too high. I just wish the interaction innovations it brought had led to a platform that developers really played around with and fine-tuned. But that didn't really happen (not even with Nintendo).

But screw it, the Wii was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm on board with whatever insane wacky shit they're putting on the Wii2, even if it's somehow (yet again) dismissed as "kiddy" and doesn't really take off in a broad way.

There were some great games for the wii, but I sold mine when the economy went south, and I haven't missed it that much. In fact, I basically gave up gaming around that time, at least temporarily. I still think it's a very cool system though, and I'm glad nintendo took a chance with it.

The information on this thing has me hyped, and I'm glad to hear that it's backwards compatible with wii, so I can buy all the games I missed after I sold mine.

Rich!

So, the controller will be fucking expensive. We know that's a possibility.

But does every controller need to be like that? Have one of those with the console, but the option to buy cheaper standard ones for multiplayer. That'll work well.

MadraptorMan said:
I'm a bit confused about this GPU naming stuff. My laptop has a Radeon HD 5650 in it...that's higher than the 4000 series so it's better yeah? But graphically I'm only capable of running slightly better than 360/PS3 graphics without taking major performance hits (CPU is i5 430m, plenty of RAM to go around). Obviously a machine built exclusively for gaming will get more out of the GPU, but isn't the 4000 series already old? Or am I missing something?

It is old, yes.
But as you said, it'll have to handle a lot less and be optimized more.
Plus, they still have to look at affordability.

MadraptorMan said:

not exacly. you are in the lower end of power. a 48xx would be more powerfull than yours

Krowley

BlazingDarkness said:
and thus, I return to, 'what's the point?'

Maybe the 6 inch screen has the 3d tech of the 3ds.. that might be the additional surprise one of the releases was talking about.

And in that case, maybe you aren't even supposed to play it on a TV.

[The site [from the specs post below] also concurs that the controller is a touch tablet, with moderate , sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers.

Still no mention of face buttons..

Prediction
+ The controller is going to be a handheld system of sorts.
+ Will play Wii 2 minigames and backwards compatibility with the eShop.
+ the eShop will still suck.
+ They will literally call the controller the Game Boy.

Technosteve said:
i don't believe this at all. all this speculation = ps3 launch price cost and Nintendo doesn't roll like that this gen...

Not necessarily.
They could probably get all the parts for less than $300.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Wow, this is exciting!

From what I can tell, there's never been a leak of this magnitude that has been false before *ever*, at least in some sense...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Krowley said:
Maybe the 6 inch screen has the 3d tech of the 3ds.. that might be the additional surprise one of the releases was talking about.

A laggy 3DS that can't leave the house, and a console that sits by the TV but actually isn't connected to it? I think people's brains have stopped working.

- J - D -

The specs already seem underwhelming. I know it's Nintendo and they like to cheap out with the guts of their systems, but an R700 gpu and 512mb ram doesn't cut it for next gen.

The site [from the specs post below] also concurs that the controller is a touch tablet, with moderate , sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers.
And two analog sticks as well? This is going to be a beastly controller. As long as it is comfortable, I am all for it. I can't wait to see what it ends up being.

The 512MB of RAM could stand to be at least 1gb, I think 512 is already showing it's limitations on current gen consoles. Other than that, this new Nintendo is sounding pretty damn interesting.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't understand why there needs to be a front facing camera on the controller, also better than move controls, I thought this controller was a traditional controller (are they making 2 controllers now) or will the standard WiiMote+ controllers control better due to better sensor.

EDIT: 2 D-pads, WTF

apana

KAL2006 said:
yes it can, if the controller was basically like an NGP with handles on the side then it can house a large screen and have dual analogs, triggers and butttons.

You didn't mention motion controls.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
The specs already seem underwhelming. I know it's Nintendo and they like to cheap out with the guts of their systems, but an R700 gpu and 512mb ram doesn't cut it for next gen.

512MB of RAM would be on the low side, but a R700 would be effectively 2-3 times as powerful as the 360.

KAL2006 said:
I don't understand why there needs to be a front facing camera on the controller, also better than move controls, I thought this controller was a traditional controller (are they making 2 controllers now) or will the standard WiiMote+ controllers control better due to better sensor.

AR Games!

onQ123

KAL2006 said:
If this wireless streaming of games becomes a hit with the new Wii HD, I expect Sony to copy this with their next system but you need an NGP. They may even re-release the PS3 in the mean time with better remote play that isn't laggy.

So if Sony update Remote Play they are Copying Nintendo? but Nintendo doing remote play isn't copying Sony?

gofreak said:
Sony will probably continue to evolve remote play - I think it would be unfair to characterise that as copying Nintendo. Remote play as standard on PS4 seems like a no-brainer since the RAM should be plentiful there for services like that.

sad thing is people will run with this & when the PS4 comes out with better remote play with the NGP people will say Sony stole Nintendo's idea.

But all in all I'm loving the whole idea of letting a bigger console do the work while I play HD games on a handheld, & just think people haven't even seen remote play for the NGP yet most new PS3 games could be made for remote play on the NGP

antonz

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
If they went with a 2008 R700 GPU it would shit all over the output of the 360 and PS3.

In fact Nintendos thinking may very well be a more modern tri core CPU is more than enough power. Though a Tri Core CPU would seem mostly the same to the 360 and its use of a tri core to most people

DECK'ARD said:

A laggy 3DS that can't leave the house, and a console that sits by the TV but actually isn't connected to it? I think people's brains have stopped working.

ahhhhh it's new console time alright, a wonderful cacophony of speculation and kicking logic to the curb.

Krowley

DECK'ARD said:

Well, I mean.. It's just a theory.

Apparently serious video game sites are confirming that there is a 6 inch screen in the controller that can have full modern games streamed to it from the system.

People also said motion control was insane when the wii came out.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, you took a thoughtful plea for rationality and reacted as if a controller that does not exist in any public form is the worst thing in the world. Trust me when I say it is a compliment that I did not expect that.

Internet sarcasm filter isnt working so Im not gonna try to figure it out.

Krowley said:

then why we still got 3ds?

Darkshier said:
I really hope the new system maintains the form factor of the Wii. Its size is one of the best parts about the system. Wonder what disc format this new console might use?

BluRay is likely.
Also, no way it'll be as small as the Wii.
No way in hell.
It would need larger fans and vents.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I honestly don't get why Nintendo would release a new console only a "bit more powerful" than the 360. What's the point? Sure, Nintendo will have a nice head start with a more powerful console; however, once the next Microsoft and Sony consoles release, they'll be (presumably) considerably more powerful than Wii2, leaving Nintendo in the same exact position it's in with the Wii.

Am I looking at this too simplistically or is this a fair judgment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom